Transcript 12/07/2007 - Patrick Ferrell

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 12/07/2007 - Patrick Ferrell

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:31 am

Patrick Ferrell
Princeton, IL

Meredith introduces Patrick as being from New Jersey, and proud of it. Patrick says, "You saw 'Princeton' and immediately thought 'New Jersey.'" Meredith replies, "That's a good excuse; I'll go along with that."

$100 - Students who get to school late often use the excuse that they "slept through" the what?

A - microwave oven
B - vacuum cleaner
C - alarm clock
D - will to care

$200 - Features! and ToeHugs are two popular brands of what?

A - socks
B - scarves
C - gloves
D - belts

$300 - Ice cube trays, Kool-Aid and toothpicks are the only "ingredients" needed to make a homemade version of what treat?

A - cupcakes
B - Popsickles
C - cotton candy
D - kettle corn

$500 - Which of these U.S. states is located in the storm-prone region known as "Tornado Alley"?

A - Nebraska
B - Georgia
C - California
D - New Hampshire

Patrick knows that Tornado Alley is in the Midwest, the Great Planes.

$1K - The reality show "Scott Baio is 45...and Single" showcases the love life of a former child star from what classic TV series?

A - Eight is Enough
B - Welcome Back, Kotter
C - Happy Days
D - The Partridge Family

Commercial break

Patrick is an investment advisor. Meredith asks how his finances are and Patrick likens his situation to the plumber, who fixes everyone else's problems but who may have leaky pipes at home.Meredith asks Patrick where he spends his time at home. Patrick says he has a special place that he calls the "man cave". The most important things about a "man cave" are control of the remote and where one sits or lies to watch TV. Patrick has designed and invented his own piece of furniture that he calls the "kabed" made from two mattresses built like a giant couch. His wife Kathy calls it just "the cave". She says he stays in there for many days. Meredith says that the studio is sort of like a cave - it's cavernous. Patrick hopes a cave question comes up.

$2K - Doctors use the abbreviation "a.c.," short for "ante cibum," to indicate that a prescription should be taken how?

A - in the morning
B - by mouth
C - three times a day
D - before meals

$4K - Which of these famous names does not feature the name of a European national capital?

A - Jack London
B - Paris Hilton
C - Florence Nightingale
D - Irving Berlin

$8K - What movie's 2003 release on DVD includes a documentary examining its influence on hip-hop artists?

A - GoodFellas
B - Apocalypse Now
C - Scarface
D - The Warriors

Patrick asks the audience for help.

ATA results:
A - 12%
B - 5%
C - 28%
D - 55%

"D" was the only movie Patrick didn't know, so he goes with the audience's answer and leaves with $1K.

ANSWERS:
$100 - C (alarm clock)
$200 - A (socks)
$300 - B (Popsickles)
$500 - A (Nebraska)
$1K - C (Happy Days)
$2K - D (before meals)
$4K - C (Florence Nightingale)
$8K - C (Scarface)

NellyLunatic1980

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:26 am

Curses! Dursted again!®

I'm shocked that only 28% of the audience got this right, especially considering that 1) there is a famous rapper from Houston named Scarface and 2) there is a line of urban clothing inspired by the film.

Nihil obstat®

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#3 Post by silvercamaro » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:06 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:Curses! Dursted again!®

I'm shocked that only 28% of the audience got this right, especially considering that 1) there is a famous rapper from Houston named Scarface and 2) there is a line of urban clothing inspired by the film.

Nihil obstat®
I would have gone home, too. I've never heard of the Houston rapper, and I'm not part of the target market for the clothing line.

Furthermore, D is the only movie that is completely unfamiliar to me.

tanstaafl2

#4 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:28 am

I wouldn't have been dursted by the audience as I would have done it to myself. Like SC I don't know the rapper Scarface (or most any other rapper for that matter, mostly by design, and don't know and don't care about the clothing line. I am however passingly familiar with the movie "The Warriors" and given both its urban setting and gang related theme thought it made perfect sense. A damned hard distractor for an 8K Q, as demonstrated by the failure of the audience, not that that is surprising in the shows quest for thousandaires.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 12/07/2007 - Patrick Ferrell

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:19 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Meredith introduces Patrick as being from New Jersey, and proud of it. Patrick says, "You saw 'Princeton' and immediately thought 'New Jersey.'" Meredith replies, "That's a good excuse; I'll go along with that."
And it's funny that I made the exact same mistake when I linked to the article about Patrick's appearance. With so many contestants from Where Else, how could there be one from a different Princeton? :lol:

I'd also have been gone on the Scarface question, either from going with my own hunch about The Warriors or from following the ATA dursting.

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#6 Post by hermillion » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:30 am

Number One Son reports that "every single rap star shown on 'Cribs' has a poster of Al Pacino as Scarface on his wall somewhere".

Who knew?
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

earendel

Re: Transcript 12/07/2007 - Patrick Ferrell

#7 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:08 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Patrick Ferrell
Princeton, IL

Meredith introduces Patrick as being from New Jersey, and proud of it. Patrick says, "You saw 'Princeton' and immediately thought 'New Jersey.'" Meredith replies, "That's a good excuse; I'll go along with that."
I suspect that's exactly what happened.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$200 - Features! and ToeHugs are two popular brands of what?

A - socks
B - scarves
C - gloves
D - belts
Never heard of them, but the answer is obvious.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2K - Doctors use the abbreviation "a.c.," short for "ante cibum," to indicate that a prescription should be taken how?

A - in the morning
B - by mouth
C - three times a day
D - before meals
"Ante" means before, as in "ante meridian" (before noon), making "A" a tricky distractor.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - What movie's 2003 release on DVD includes a documentary examining its influence on hip-hop artists?

A - GoodFellas
B - Apocalypse Now
C - Scarface
D - The Warriors

Patrick asks the audience for help.

ATA results:
A - 12%
B - 5%
C - 28%
D - 55%

"D" was the only movie Patrick didn't know, so he goes with the audience's answer and leaves with $1K.
Poor Patrick. And chalk me up as one who would have done exactly the same thing. After the answer was revealed I realized I had heard about this a while back, but wouldn't have dredged it up in the Hot Seat.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:10 am

hermillion wrote:Number One Son reports that "every single rap star shown on 'Cribs' has a poster of Al Pacino as Scarface on his wall somewhere".

Who knew?
He did, and probably my youngest son, who loves to watch "Cribs".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

ghostjmf

#9 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:06 am

1K: Somehow, his current persona doesn't click with having been a Partridge or 8-is-Enougher. On the other hand, you can't exactly judge by current persona; look at Danny Bonaduce. 50/50 might work, but ATA here.

2K: "ante" means "before". Its lucky I know this, because cibum sounds like something you throw up.

8K: I read about this somewhere.