Transcript 05/21/09 - Venida Evans

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 05/21/09 - Venida Evans

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu May 21, 2009 6:52 pm

Venida Evans
New York, NY
Semi-retired actor (sic)

Meredith asks Venida what semi-retired means.

Venida: Well, actors never really retire. We just die off. But at a certain age, particularly if you're female, the roles are a little farther between. We "rest" a little more.

Meredith remarks on Venida's voice, "Deep pipes!" Veneda says she's had it all her life.

Veneda: As a young kid, I would go to the grocery store with my mom, be under the counter. "Mama, buy me some of that!" Because the candy's always under the checkout.

Meredith: Oh, yeah!

Veneda: And they would look around, look around, and there I was, under the shopping cart!

Question Topics:
* Patently False
* Down Under
* Rock the Vote
* Search Engines
* Mostly Cloudy
* Stuck in the Tub
* The American Novel
* No Parking
* Spoiler Alert!
* Facial Hair
* It's in the Bag
* Jimmy Crack Corn
* Web Crawling
* Chess Pieces
* Take a Siesta

$100 * Take a Siesta
Known to travel hundreds of miles without stopping, which of these creatures frequently dozes off while flying?

A: Albatross B: Giraffe
C: Turtle D: Drunk flight attendant
Answer
A: Albatross ( 5 )
$200 * Chess Pieces
Which of these chess pieces shares its name with a card in a standard deck of playing cards?

A: Rook B: Bishop
C: Queen D: Pawn
Answer
C: Queen ( 9 )
$300 * Web Crawling
The Web site name NoGrapesNoNuts.com is a reference to the somewhat misleading name of a popular brand of what?

A: Snack cracker B: Ice cream
C: Diet soda D: Breakfast cereal
Answer
D: Breakfast cereal ( 6 )
$500 * Jimmy Crack Corn
Which of these phrases is sung repeatedly in the popular kids' song "Jimmy Crack Corn"?

A: I don't care B: I give up
C: I can't wait D: I'm OK
Answer
A: I don't care ( 8 )
$1,000 * It's in the Bag
Which of the following is the name of an organization that holds an annual "Best Bagger" championship?

A: National Teachers Association B: National Grocers Association
C: National Plumbers Association D: National Electricians Association
Answer
B: National Grocers Association ( 1 )
Venida has now earned her Ask The Expert lifeline. Today's expert is $500,000 winner (and Bored Buddy) Ogi Ogas.

$2,000 * Facial Hair
Adolf Hitler and Charlie Chaplin's "Little Tramp" were both famous for sporting what style of mustache?

A: Pencil mustache B: Tootbrush mustache
C: Handlebar mustache D: Fu Manchu
Answer
B: Tootbrush mustache ( 21 )
-- Commercial Break --

Venida is scared on one thing: she's deathly afraid of insects, particularly bees. Some years ago, she was driving along, with the windows down, when a whole swarm of bees flew in a window and out the other side.

Venida: They were swarming. They were not after me. But I had no choice. I opened the door and got out.

Meredith: Well, was the car moving, when you got out?

Venida: Oh, yeah! It would have taken too much time to put the brakes on and come to the side of the road.
I had to get out!

Meredith: Did you get hurt?

Venida: I did. I did. I'll never do it again.

$4,000 * Spoiler Alert!
The statement "Nicole Kidman is a ghost" spoils the ending of what scary movie?

A: From Hell B: Jeepers Creepers
C: The Forsaken D: The Others

With 22 seconds left, Venida decides to Ask The Audience.

ATA: A: 1% B: 6% C: 10% D: 83%
Answer
D: The Others ( 13 )
$8,000 * No Parking
Named after one of the first cities to use it, the clamping device that immobilizes illegally parked cars is called a what?

A: Denver boot B: Miami boot
C: Chicago boot D: St. Louis boot

With 16 seconds left, Venida decides to Ask The Expert.

Ogi: Venida, I'm not sure about this one. Do you have any--

Venida: How not sure are you?

Ogi: Do you have any guesses at all?

Venida: I'm somehow--I don't know why, I'm thinking Miami, but just thinking. I have no clue, here. You have no clue at all?

Ogi: No, I'm afraid I don't. I don't think it--you know, I don't think it's Miami boot, though.

Venida: Okay. Okay.

Ogi: And I'm sure it's not St. Louis boot.

Venida: No, I'm sure it's not St. Louis, either.

Ogi: Cause I have seen this phrase before and it's just two words, so it's definitely not St. Louis boot.

Venida: Mmmm hmmm.

Ogi: Denver boot or Chicago--I think it's Denver boot or Chicago boot, because it sounds like it one of those. I don't think it's St. Louis, but I wouldn't want to steer you wrong. Do you have any other lifelines?

Venida: No, but thank you for trying!

Meredith reminds Venida that she does have another lifeline. With 13 seconds left, Venida decides to Double Dip.

Venida's first guess is
Spoiler
Chicago boot
Venida's first guess is
Spoiler
Denver boot

Answer
A: Denver boot ( 11 )
-- Commercial Break --

Meredith told Venida in the break that she knows the Denver boot, all too well.

$16,000 * The American Novel
What classic literary character memorably explains, "If I'd a knowed what a trouble it was to make a book I wouldn't a tackled it"?

A: Scout Finch B: Ishmael
C: Huckleberry Finn D: Holden Caulfield

Venida thinks it wouldn't be Scout Finch, because she has better diction, but Venida doesn't answer before time runs out, so she leaves with $8,000.

Meredith: And I want to explain to the audience that you did not have a Phone A Friend. There was nobody you thought that was able to play the game for you, today, so that's why she didn't use that, audience.
Answer
C: Huckleberry Finn ( 0 )
-- The Horn --

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 05/21/09 - Venida Evans

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 21, 2009 7:09 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Venida Evans
New York, NY
Semi-retired actor (sic)
WE/WE (semi-retired)
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Meredith: And I want to explain to the audience that you did not have a Phone A Friend. There was nobody you thought that was able to play the game for you, today, so that's why she didn't use that, audience.
I was horrified when Meredith explained this, knowing how there are BBs among us who would have gladly volunteered to help out a stranger without a moment's hesitation. And they'd have done a better job of it that the typical celebrity "expert", too. :(

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 21, 2009 7:13 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000 * No Parking
Named after one of the first cities to use it, the clamping device that immobilizes illegally parked cars is called a what?

With 16 seconds left, Venida decides to Ask The Expert.

Ogi: Venida, I'm not sure about this one. Do you have any--

Venida: How not sure are you?

Ogi: Do you have any guesses at all?

Venida: I'm somehow--I don't know why, I'm thinking Miami, but just thinking. I have no clue, here. You have no clue at all?

Ogi: No, I'm afraid I don't. I don't think it--you know, I don't think it's Miami boot, though.

Venida: Okay. Okay.

Ogi: And I'm sure it's not St. Louis boot.

Venida: No, I'm sure it's not St. Louis, either.

Ogi: Cause I have seen this phrase before and it's just two words, so it's definitely not St. Louis boot.

Venida: Mmmm hmmm.

Ogi: Denver boot or Chicago--I think it's Denver boot or Chicago boot, because it sounds like it one of those. I don't think it's St. Louis, but I wouldn't want to steer you wrong. Do you have any other lifelines?

Venida: No, but thank you for trying!

Meredith reminds Venida that she does have another lifeline. With 13 seconds left, Venida decides to Double Dip.

Venida's first guess is
Spoiler
Chicago boot
Venida's first guess is
Spoiler
Denver boot

Answer
A: Denver boot ( 11 )
Once again, Ogi proves that he is a expert among experts! Even without an answer at first glance, he manages to work away at it logically, to the point where the Venida could get the answer with the help of the Double Dip. Celebrity "experts" take note!

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 21, 2009 7:15 pm

BTW, here's Venida's IMDB page. It looks like fans of the Law and Order series have had the best chance to see her at work.

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0263287/

Snaxx

#5 Post by Snaxx » Thu May 21, 2009 7:23 pm

New York, NY
Semi-retired actor (sic)

Venida has now earned her Ask The Expert lifeline. Today's expert is $500,000 winner (and Bored Buddy) Ogi Ogas.
A little too late for our Joey. Either the CNBC guy couldn't hang out for a whole taping day or they sent him to the showers like an ineffective pitcher.
Meredith: And I want to explain to the audience that you did not have a Phone A Friend. There was nobody you thought that was able to play the game for you, today, so that's why she didn't use that, audience.
Or perhaps she was like one of the llama contestants from the first season whose PAFs all bailed out and went into the game with no PAFs for that reason. That contestant had BB PAF(s) including Peter5858 the second time around.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 21, 2009 7:33 pm

jacorbett70 wrote:
New York, NY
Semi-retired actor (sic)

A little too late for our Joey. Either the CNBC guy couldn't hang out for a whole taping day or they sent him to the showers like an ineffective pitcher.
Yeah, if Joey had gone a few more minutes before using his ATE on his first episode, he'd have gotten Ogi instead of Jim Cramer. I'm sure Ogi would have known the inverse relationship between wavelength and frequency!
jacorbett70 wrote:
Or perhaps she was like one of the llama contestants from the first season whose PAFs all bailed out and went into the game with no PAFs for that reason. That contestant had BB PAF(s) including Peter5858 the second time around.
That's possible. Again, the APs might have given her a list of a couple reliable BBs who've appeared on their PAF lists time and time again and suggested, "Would you like us to see if they're available?"

The explanation in the transcript is all that Meredith said to the studio audience. If there's more to the story, we didn't hear it.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#7 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu May 21, 2009 7:47 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $8,000 * No Parking

What a horrible thing to have named after you. :P

We couldn't have clam chowder or something else yummy. :roll:

Well, Denver Omelette. Except they call it Western Omelette these days. :shock:
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Rafferbee

#8 Post by Rafferbee » Thu May 21, 2009 7:56 pm

Venida is the star of a series of Ikea commercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ItLB0KcW38

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#9 Post by frogman042 » Thu May 21, 2009 8:27 pm

Clem, a couple of questions about Venida, if you don't mind.

First, was she a last minute fill-in - was that why she had no PAFs? Also, based on her personality I would venture that she had some real interesting stories to share in the green room. Am I right and if so, anything that can be shared?

Finally, this goes out to the bored - is this the first case with the clock running out on a contestant while still searching for the answer? All other cases the person seems to have decided not to answer and let the time run out - she seemed to be still working through it when time expired and I don't recall seeing that with anyone else previously (although I haven't seen every episode, but a lot). I think this might be the first time the clock actually eliminated someone who was trying to answer it (not to say that this is the first time the clock had an effect). Also, even though she didn't have an actual PAF could she have said I want to PAF and stopped the clock, Meredith would then have to explain that she has no PAFs lined-up and restart the clock and therefore buy a few extra seconds? I think that not having any PAFs, this would give her a bit of a lifeline and still be within the rules - not letting her even say PAF struck me as unfair. Any thoughts on this?

---Jay

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#10 Post by silvercamaro » Thu May 21, 2009 8:33 pm

I most certainly would have volunteered to be a PAF for Venida. I wasn't doing much besides hanging around the telephone that day anyway.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

clem21
Nose Exploder

#11 Post by clem21 » Thu May 21, 2009 8:46 pm

frogman042 wrote:Clem, a couple of questions about Venida, if you don't mind.

First, was she a last minute fill-in - was that why she had no PAFs? Also, based on her personality I would venture that she had some real interesting stories to share in the green room. Am I right and if so, anything that can be shared?

---Jay
I had no idea. I think it was b/c she was a carryover and couldn't use the PAFs she had the day before. We really didn't discuss it.

She was the most wonderful old lady. I messed with her in the green room, calling her grandma and the like, and she was the only one to play stress ball basketball with me using a wastebasket, although I think I tired her out pretty quick. She was on All My Children, Guiding Light, Law and Order and a boatload of other stuff too. But nowadays she mostly does stage acting not for the money but more because she said she loves doing it. Of course, since the taping she has gotten some fame for her "IKEA Lady" ads that Megan mentioned.
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

Millionaire Fan

#12 Post by Millionaire Fan » Thu May 21, 2009 9:10 pm

If I'm not mistaken I think Venida is only the second contestant to walk away leaving PAF on the table. Here's a clip of a contestant walking away leaving PAF on the table.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aj6Lru86Nk

Estonut
Evil Genius

#13 Post by Estonut » Thu May 21, 2009 9:45 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:Once again, Ogi proves that he is a expert among experts! Even without an answer at first glance, he manages to work away at it logically, to the point where the Venida could get the answer with the help of the Double Dip. Celebrity "experts" take note!
It's always "Ogi, Ogi, Ogi" with you. Get a room...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Estonut
Evil Genius

#14 Post by Estonut » Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

clem21 wrote:She was the most wonderful old lady.
Before anyone jumps on clem for this, note that she was cast as "Old Lady" in 2005, at the "ripe old age" of 58. :roll:

IMDB Entry #4: "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" .... Old Lady (1 episode, 2005)
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#15 Post by kayrharris » Thu May 21, 2009 11:07 pm

Estonut wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:Once again, Ogi proves that he is a expert among experts! Even without an answer at first glance, he manages to work away at it logically, to the point where the Venida could get the answer with the help of the Double Dip. Celebrity "experts" take note!
Even at this late hour, this made me laugh out loud! :)
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#16 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Thu May 21, 2009 11:08 pm

Honestly, Marley, if the best any expert not named Ogi could do on an 8k question is take a couple wild stabs to just give the player a shot at getting it by having to use the double dip afterwards you'd be ripping them a new one and casting aspersions on not only their intelligence, but that of their ancestors clear back to Edward Longshanks.
Screw you guys, I'm going home.

clem21
Nose Exploder

#17 Post by clem21 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:09 pm

Southpaw Fanny wrote:
Honestly, Marley, if the best any expert not named Ogi could do on an 8k question is take a couple wild stabs to just give the player a shot at getting it by having to use the double dip afterwards you'd be ripping them a new one and casting aspersions on not only their intelligence, but that of their ancestors clear back to Edward Longshanks.
BobJ is related to him.
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#18 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Thu May 21, 2009 11:11 pm

kayrharris wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Crap, I didn't see this before I posted....
Screw you guys, I'm going home.

NellyLunatic1980

#19 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri May 22, 2009 5:57 am

New York, NY
Semi-retired actor (sic)
It's the IKEA lady! Big-time WE/WE®.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Venida has now earned her Ask The Expert lifeline. Today's expert is $500,000 winner (and Bored Buddy) Ogi Ogas.
Clem got screwed. He should've had Ogi as his expert instead of Jim Cramer.

Have I mentioned my feelings about Jim Cramer yet?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Meredith: And I want to explain to the audience that you did not have a Phone A Friend. There was nobody you thought that was able to play the game for you, today, so that's why she didn't use that, audience.
PAF is the most important lifeline in the game. What's the point of being on the show if you're gonna put yourself at that kind of disadvantage? Hell, put three random actors on your PAF list. There's a good chance that at least one of three random actors has read Mark Twain.

MarleysGh0st

#20 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 22, 2009 6:17 am

kayrharris wrote:
Estonut wrote:

Ogres get no respect! :P

earendel

#21 Post by earendel » Fri May 22, 2009 6:28 am

clem21 wrote:
Southpaw Fanny wrote:
BobJ is related to him.
Him who? Ogi? Or Longshanks?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#22 Post by earendel » Fri May 22, 2009 6:33 am

[For some reason my computer is acting strangely and won't let me scroll through the message when using "Quote".]

With respect to Venida, she's a WE/WE®. I loved her voice, though, and the story about the swarming bees was a hoot. I've never seen an IKEA commercial nor do I watch L&O.

The only problem I'd have had with her stack was the movie question - I couldn't remember whether it was "The Forsaken" or "The Others", so I'd have used ATA.

And a real expert is back! "Ogi! Ogi! Ogi! Oy! Oy! Oy!" Even though he didn't know the answer he did point her in the right direction. That's the hallmark of a true expert; Jim Cramer admitted when he didn't know something but he didn't do much else.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob Juch

#23 Post by Bob Juch » Fri May 22, 2009 6:50 am

earendel wrote:
clem21 wrote:
Southpaw Fanny wrote: Honestly, Marley, if the best any expert not named Ogi could do on an 8k question is take a couple wild stabs to just give the player a shot at getting it by having to use the double dip afterwards you'd be ripping them a new one and casting aspersions on not only their intelligence, but that of their ancestors clear back to Edward Longshanks.
BobJ is related to him.
Longshanks, but probably Ogi too.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

MarleysGh0st

#24 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 22, 2009 6:50 am

earendel wrote:
clem21 wrote:BobJ is related to him.
Longshanks.

MarleysGh0st

#25 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 22, 2009 6:52 am

earendel wrote:And a real expert is back! "Ogi! Ogi! Ogi! Oy! Oy! Oy!" Even though he didn't know the answer he did point her in the right direction. That's the hallmark of a true expert; Jim Cramer admitted when he didn't know something but he didn't do much else.
Careful, ear! The crowd is getting tired of the dedication of Ogi's Ogres. :mrgreen: