Stupid Cones

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
eyégor
???????

Re: ice storms

#26 Post by eyégor » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:58 am

earendel wrote:I am not a fan of ice storms at all. The year that elwing and I moved from Oklahoma to Kentucky (1976) we ran into an ice storm in Tennessee as we were hauling all of our earthly possessions in a U-Haul trailer behind a Ford Pinto wagon. It's something I have no desire to experience again.
Since not one Pinto wagon made it out of the 80s alive, I think you're safe. If it were a Vega, amend the above to early 80s

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#27 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:04 am

eyégor wrote:
earendel wrote:I am not a fan of ice storms at all. The year that elwing and I moved from Oklahoma to Kentucky (1976) we ran into an ice storm in Tennessee as we were hauling all of our earthly possessions in a U-Haul trailer behind a Ford Pinto wagon. It's something I have no desire to experience again.
Since not one Pinto wagon made it out of the 80s alive, I think you're safe. If it were a Vega, amend the above to early 80s
I think my sister had a Vega. Or a Nova. I can't remember, and I'm sure she wishes she could forget.

So she saves up some money and gets a brand-new Honda Prelude SI. And some guy broadsides her. Well, more like T-bones, since it missed the passenger compartment, fortunately. And the rental company wouldn't let her have a performance vehicle since she wasn't 25 yet. So she had to drive another golf cart while her beloved new car was being repaired. At least she was used to it....

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#28 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:04 am

peacock2121 wrote:We are trapped on the hill.

Can't even walk outside unless we could make it to the grass part. It's a skating rink out there.

Not sure I will be able to get out by 4:15 when I am scheduled to leave for a dinner meeting.
Oh no! Good luck getting out!

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#29 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:04 am

We had about 3 ice storms last year, so this is quickly becoming old hat.

Of course, I have yet to see any icicles hanging out of any trees, but I've scraped coats of ice off my car both of the last two mornings....

lb13

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#30 Post by Rexer25 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:06 am

eyégor wrote:
I don't have anything to add to the conversation, I just wanted to say:

Nice avatar, 'gor.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

Appa23

#31 Post by Appa23 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:12 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I hope the trees stay away from your car!

We had two ice storms when I lived in Connecticut and had to move to hotels, because we lot power and heat.
I am thankful that I have not [yet] lost power because of an ice torm (or other weather-related disaster).

With all of our lines running underground, it would have to be an event that took out transformers/distribution up the line.

To my wife's utter amazement, Omaha's mayor had to "cancel" Halloween in the early 1990s because of an ice storm.

earendel

#32 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:45 am

eyégor wrote:
We actually owned two Pintos - the first was a sedan that we bought for $1,999 just before we got married - no one knew what it looked like so they couldn't decorate it for the wedding. The second was a wagon that served us very well until we were rear-ended on an expressway - some idiot had suffered a flat tire and parked his car in the leftmost lane, just over a hill where no one could see it. We managed not to hit the car in front of us, but the one behind us didn't stop in time. A police officer who arrived later and tried to direct traffic darn near got run over, too. It wasn't until years later that we realized how fortunate we were that the wagon didn't catch fire.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#33 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:56 am

My mom had a 1972 white Pinto Station wagon. She drove it until 1986.

andrewjackson

#34 Post by andrewjackson » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:05 am

We had a 1977 Pinto hatchback. My brothers and I wrecked it three or four times but never totaled it. Actually, my dad still has it but it no longer runs. He keeps threatening to restore it for my nieces and nephews to drive when they turn 16. My oldest niece is 15 so he needs to hurry up.
No matter where you go, there you are.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#35 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:09 am

andrewjackson wrote:We had a 1977 Pinto hatchback. My brothers and I wrecked it three or four times but never totaled it. Actually, my dad still has it but it no longer runs. He keeps threatening to restore it for my nieces and nephews to drive when they turn 16. My oldest niece is 15 so he needs to hurry up.
He should, the cars are nearly indestructible.

andrewjackson

#36 Post by andrewjackson » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:13 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
andrewjackson wrote:We had a 1977 Pinto hatchback. My brothers and I wrecked it three or four times but never totaled it. Actually, my dad still has it but it no longer runs. He keeps threatening to restore it for my nieces and nephews to drive when they turn 16. My oldest niece is 15 so he needs to hurry up.
He should, the cars are nearly indestructible.
That's right. If they don't explode, they are good to go.

andrewjackson

#37 Post by andrewjackson » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:14 am

9 more.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#38 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:14 am

Cool!

andrewjackson

#39 Post by andrewjackson » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:15 am

It seems like it was a short time since 17,000.

andrewjackson

#40 Post by andrewjackson » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:16 am

OOOh,, That almost got it.

andrewjackson

#41 Post by andrewjackson » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:16 am

I am the only person pushing!

andrewjackson

#42 Post by andrewjackson » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:16 am

I can't believe we haven't got over the line yet.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#43 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:17 am

Take it.

andrewjackson

#44 Post by andrewjackson » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:17 am

Did I miss by one both directions?

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#45 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:35 pm

I talked to the dealership about my car and they said that the cone did not cause the damage, my transmission went out. Cost about $2,700 to replace.

After I was done talking to them, I called my insurance company to tell them that I wouldn't be filing a claim for the cone (I called them on Saturday and told them what happened and that I was waiting for a diagnosis. They suggested that I open a claim while the information was fresh, even if the cone didn't do the damage.)

They told me that apparently when the car was new, I bought some sort of policy for mechanical breakdown and the transmission would be covered under the policy, as long as I can prove the I did required maintenance.

I had it flushed at 32K miles, though the handbook says that it should be done every 50K. I have 69K miles on the car. I also have records from Jiffy Lube showing that I go in every three or four months and have the oil changed and they top off all fluids.

I have a deductible of $250.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#46 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:40 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I talked to the dealership about my car and they said that the cone did not cause the damage, my transmission went out. Cost about $2,700 to replace.

After I was done talking to them, I called my insurance company to tell them that I wouldn't be filing a claim for the cone (I called them on Saturday and told them what happened and that I was waiting for a diagnosis. They suggested that I open a claim while the information was fresh, even if the cone didn't do the damage.)

They told me that apparently when the car was new, I bought some sort of policy for mechanical breakdown and the transmission would be covered under the policy, as long as I can prove the I did required maintenance.

I had it flushed at 32K miles, though the handbook says that it should be done every 50K. I have 69K miles on the car. I also have records from Jiffy Lube showing that I go in every three or four months and have the oil changed and they top off all fluids.

I have a deductible of $250.
Hurray for the policy! The fact that you had it in to the dealership last week should help your claim, too.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#47 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:43 pm

silvercamaro wrote: Hurray for the policy! The fact that you had it in to the dealership last week should help your claim, too.
I hope so!

I just am happy that Geico said something about me having this policy, because I just would have paid for the repairs.