Transcript 5/22/2009 - Andrew Gambardella

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 5/22/2009 - Andrew Gambardella

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun May 24, 2009 10:34 pm

Andrew Gambardella
St. James, NY
5th Grade Teacher

He was once a commercial banker but he decided it wasn't for him so he decided to switch careers and become a teacher like his wife.

Topic Tree:
- All of Us
- Place of Honor
- Just Kidding!
- Mythological Figures
- Bubble and Squeak
- College Mascots
- Celebrity Couples
- Sugarland
- State Names
- Coast to Coast
- Breathe Right
- Seussical
- Theme Restaurants
- You're So Negative
- Holiday Traditions

$100 - In a popular Washington, D.C. Easter tradition, children roll what items across the White House lawn?
A - pencils
B - eggs
C - candy canes
D - Congressional aides
Spoiler
B - eggs (8)
$200 - By definition, a negative number is any number with a value less than what?
A - ten
B - five
C - two
D - zero
Spoiler
D - zero (9)
$300 - Which of these popular theme restaurants caters primarily to sports enthusiasts?
A - Planet Hollywood
B - ESPN Zone
C - Hard Rock Cafe
D - Rainforest Cafe
Spoiler
B - ESPN Zone (7)
$500 - Which of these characters appeared in "Seussical," a short-lived Broadway musical inspired by the writings of Dr. Seuss?
A - The Cat in the Hat
B - Clifford the Big Red Dog
C - Bob the Builder
D - Winnie-the-Pooh
Spoiler
A - The Cat in the Hat (8)
$1000 - Breathe Right strips are flexible adhesive bands commonly applied where on the body?
A - under the tongue
B - across the Adam's apple
C - on the forehead
D - on the bridge of the nose
Spoiler
D - on the bridge of the nose (8)
commercial break

Andrew teaches on Long Island. He and his wife Jeannine (who is in the relationship seat) have two children. Jeannine went through a tough time with a brain hemorrhage. She no longer teaches but she is his hero. She's also the one who signed him up to be on the show.

$2000 - What well-known patriotic song features the line "From sea to shining sea"?
A - America the Beautiful
B - Yankee Doodle
C - This Land is Your Land
D - The Star-Spangled Banner
Spoiler
A - America the Beautiful (20)
$4000 - What U.S. state derives its name from two French words meaning "Green Mountain"?
A - Michigan
B - Florida
C - Vermont
D - Delaware
Spoiler
C - Vermont (23)
$8000 - The musical duo Sugarland are chart-topping artists in what musical genre?
A - gospel
B - country
C - hip-hop
D - heavy metal

Andrew immediately chooses to ask the audience. The clock stops with 21 seconds remaining.
ATA results
ATA results:
A - 8%
B - 68%
C - 20%
D - 4%
Andrew says the audience is "pretty right most of the time" and goes with their answer.
Spoiler
B - country (16)
commercial break

$16000 - Which of these classic films was directed by Diane Sawyer's husband?
A - Out of Africa
B - Network
C - Coll Hand Luke
D - The Graduate

Andrew wastes no time in deciding to phone a friend, stopping the clock with 23 seconds remaining. On his PAF list are Betty, from St. James, NY; Janice, also from St. James, NY; and Peter, from Barville, NY. Andrew chooses his friend Betty.
PAF results
Andrew reads the question and answers twice. Betty says, "Oh, gosh, oh, man, the one thing..." then time runs out.
Andrew next decides to ask the expert. Only two seconds elapse.
ATE results
Ogi says that he thinks it's "The Graduate" because the question is for $16K and "they" would expect people to know that movie. Ogi says that Robert Redford directed "Out of Africa". Andrew confirms that Ogi doesn't think it's any of the other answers; Ogi says that his guess is that it's "The Graduate" but he's not sure.
Andrew says that Ogi wasn't that confident and he himself doesn't have a clue so he decides to walk away with his $8K. Meredith notes that Ogi was wrong - "Out of Africa" was directed by Sidney Pollock but he was right about the answer.
Spoiler
D - The Graduate (14)

THE HORN!!!!!

Weyoun

Re: Transcript 5/22/2009 - Andrew Gambardella

#2 Post by Weyoun » Sun May 24, 2009 11:30 pm

I'll admit, Ogi takes an interesting approach - but it would help if he actually KNEW this stuff.

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon May 25, 2009 5:39 am

Weyoun wrote:I'll admit, Ogi takes an interesting approach - but it would help if he actually KNEW this stuff.
Yeah! What kind of Ph.D. candidate doesn't know who Diane Sawyer's husband is and what movies he's directed? :roll:

Uhhh, sitting in the audience, I didn't know this answer, either. Or the answer to the Sugarland ATA.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Mon May 25, 2009 5:46 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Andrew Gambardella
St. James, NY
5th Grade Teacher

He was once a commercial banker but he decided it wasn't for him so he decided to switch careers and become a teacher like his wife.
He's a teacher on Long Island so I figure St. James must be in WE® territory.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $16000 - Which of these classic films was directed by Diane Sawyer's husband?
A - Out of Africa
B - Network
C - Coll Hand Luke
D - The Graduate

Andrew wastes no time in deciding to phone a friend, stopping the clock with 23 seconds remaining. On his PAF list are Betty, from St. James, NY; Janice, also from St. James, NY; and Peter, from Barville, NY. Andrew chooses his friend Betty.
PAF results
Andrew reads the question and answers twice. Betty says, "Oh, gosh, oh, man, the one thing..." then time runs out.
Andrew next decides to ask the expert. Only two seconds elapse.
ATE results
Ogi says that he thinks it's "The Graduate" because the question is for $16K and "they" would expect people to know that movie. Ogi says that Robert Redford directed "Out of Africa". Andrew confirms that Ogi doesn't think it's any of the other answers; Ogi says that his guess is that it's "The Graduate" but he's not sure.
Andrew says that Ogi wasn't that confident and he himself doesn't have a clue so he decides to walk away with his $8K. Meredith notes that Ogi was wrong - "Out of Africa" was directed by Sidney Pollock but he was right about the answer.
Spoiler
D - The Graduate (14)
I had no idea, either. I'd use ATA and hope for the best on the outcome, then PAF if I didn't like the numbers.

THE HORN!!!!![/quote]
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon May 25, 2009 6:03 am

earendel wrote:He's a teacher on Long Island so I figure St. James must be in WE® territory.
It is. St. James is about halfway out Long Island.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#6 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon May 25, 2009 7:26 am

The only reason I knew the Sugarland question was because the female singer's name is Jennifer Nettles
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

lv42day

#7 Post by lv42day » Mon May 25, 2009 8:28 am

Marley, I am just curious. Do you know Ogi personally, or is he related to you in someway? I don't ask that in a sarcastic way but with sincerity. I only ask because you seem to defend him in a way that you do not of others.

Rafferbee

#8 Post by Rafferbee » Mon May 25, 2009 9:35 am

I was watching Andy from the audience, since I was going on next if time allowed. He's a really great guy. His wife was really nice, too. I had no idea for the 16,000 question. I was impressed with the way Ogi reasoned it out. That's higher-level game show thinking right there. But I don't think I would have answered either if I was in the hot seat.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon May 25, 2009 6:33 pm

lv42day wrote:Marley, I am just curious. Do you know Ogi personally, or is he related to you in someway? I don't ask that in a sarcastic way but with sincerity. I only ask because you seem to defend him in a way that you do not of others.
No, but there's a coincidental connection. I just happened to be in the audience when he began his run in the Hot Seat, getting up to $250,000 before the horn sounded and really making the audience frustrated that this was the last episode being taped on a Friday, so that we wouldn't see him complete his run.

So...I got back home to post that there had been at least one exciting contestant there. And what do I see on the Bored, but a post from a newbie called "lastminuterequest" asking for transcripts of previous $500K and $1 million questions. That was Ogi, in the unique position of having a whole weekend to prepare for those last two questions, and incidentally setting a record, AFAIK, of being the only person to become a BB in the middle of his Hot Seat run.

When the Grand Slam tournament-style game show was held and we had four (?) BBs participating in that, I rooted for all of them, but when Ogi became the last BB standing, I coined the term "Ogi's Ogres" for his rooting section (all after the taping was completed, alas).

But all that's background. I'll support all BB experts on the show, of course. Ogi happens to have appeared more than any other experts, and his technique is worthy of emulation, IMHO.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#10 Post by Estonut » Mon May 25, 2009 7:19 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:When the Grand Slam tournament-style game show was held and we had four (?) BBs participating in that, I rooted for all of them, but when Ogi became the last BB standing, I coined the term "Ogi's Ogres" for his rooting section (all after the taping was completed, alas).
You left out the part about how "Ogres" was not simply an alliterative choice...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Thousandaire

#11 Post by Thousandaire » Mon May 25, 2009 7:25 pm

Rafferty Barnes wrote:I was watching Andy from the audience, since I was going on next if time allowed. He's a really great guy. His wife was really nice, too. I had no idea for the 16,000 question. I was impressed with the way Ogi reasoned it out. That's higher-level game show thinking right there. But I don't think I would have answered either if I was in the hot seat.
I can't stand it. Why go through all that just for $8,000? It's nothing. At least try to bluff your way to 25,000. I'm convinced this show would have higher ratings if people could not drop out before the $25,000 level.

NellyLunatic1980

#12 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue May 26, 2009 4:51 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Andrew Gambardella
St. James, NY
5th Grade Teacher
He's a WE®, but he's a teacher... as is his wife.

Nihil obstat®

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue May 26, 2009 5:57 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:He's a WE®, but he's a teacher... as is his wife.
Will you give all the teachers in the NY metropolitan area a ticket to the Hot Seat?

Why not a few teachers from the rest of the country?

gsabc

#14 Post by gsabc » Tue May 26, 2009 6:20 am

Another fairly easy stack for me. Rare to get two in a row. For reasons I have mentioned before, I will NEVER forget trivia about Diane Sawyer again.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Rafferbee

#15 Post by Rafferbee » Tue May 26, 2009 7:33 am

Thousandaire wrote:
Rafferty Barnes wrote:I was watching Andy from the audience, since I was going on next if time allowed. He's a really great guy. His wife was really nice, too. I had no idea for the 16,000 question. I was impressed with the way Ogi reasoned it out. That's higher-level game show thinking right there. But I don't think I would have answered either if I was in the hot seat.
I can't stand it. Why go through all that just for $8,000? It's nothing. At least try to bluff your way to 25,000. I'm convinced this show would have higher ratings if people could not drop out before the $25,000 level.
$8,000 is a lot of money for someone who only was a single Thousandaire before. I wish I was in a position where $8,000 was as nothing to me.

basketball_junkie

#16 Post by basketball_junkie » Tue May 26, 2009 9:05 am

Marley, did I read correctly that you were in the audience the day this contestant taped? I was too. It was in late October.

MarleysGh0st

#17 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue May 26, 2009 9:07 am

basketball_junkie wrote:Marley, did I read correctly that you were in the audience the day this contestant taped? I was too. It was in late October.
Yes, I was. October 30.

lv42day

#18 Post by lv42day » Tue May 26, 2009 5:22 pm

Thank you, Marley for your explanation of why you defend Ogi so steadfastly. I commend your loyalty to all BB experts.

Millionaire Fan

#19 Post by Millionaire Fan » Tue May 26, 2009 9:23 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
lv42day wrote:Marley, I am just curious. Do you know Ogi personally, or is he related to you in someway? I don't ask that in a sarcastic way but with sincerity. I only ask because you seem to defend him in a way that you do not of others.
No, but there's a coincidental connection. I just happened to be in the audience when he began his run in the Hot Seat, getting up to $250,000 before the horn sounded and really making the audience frustrated that this was the last episode being taped on a Friday, so that we wouldn't see him complete his run.

So...I got back home to post that there had been at least one exciting contestant there. And what do I see on the Bored, but a post from a newbie called "lastminuterequest" asking for transcripts of previous $500K and $1 million questions. That was Ogi, in the unique position of having a whole weekend to prepare for those last two questions, and incidentally setting a record, AFAIK, of being the only person to become a BB in the middle of his Hot Seat run.

When the Grand Slam tournament-style game show was held and we had four (?) BBs participating in that, I rooted for all of them, but when Ogi became the last BB standing, I coined the term "Ogi's Ogres" for his rooting section (all after the taping was completed, alas).

But all that's background. I'll support all BB experts on the show, of course. Ogi happens to have appeared more than any other experts, and his technique is worthy of emulation, IMHO.
Hey Marley, I found a clip of Ogi's $100,000 question. Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMdA4P_i7-8

clem21
Nose Exploder

#20 Post by clem21 » Tue May 26, 2009 10:02 pm

Thousandaire wrote:
OK first of all, Thousandaire, d'you mind lending me some nothing? I could use it and it clearly doesn't matter to you.

Secondly, apparently I has two BBs in house for my taping. Basketball_Junkie, I belatedly thank you for cheering for me. And if you didn't cheer for me...then screw you, you bastard.
:wink:
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

takinover

#21 Post by takinover » Tue May 26, 2009 11:12 pm

Thousandaire wrote: I can't stand it. Why go through all that just for $8,000? It's nothing. At least try to bluff your way to 25,000. I'm convinced this show would have higher ratings if people could not drop out before the $25,000 level.
Not that I think $8K is nothing, but I do wish the next change is they stop allowing people to walk away before $25K. After all, you get 5 "easy" ones and then you get 4 LL's to answer 5 questions.

Thousandaire

#22 Post by Thousandaire » Tue May 26, 2009 11:44 pm

clem21 wrote:
Thousandaire wrote:
OK first of all, Thousandaire, d'you mind lending me some nothing? I could use it and it clearly doesn't matter to you.
Sure. Just tell me the number of your bank account.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#23 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:21 am

Thousandaire wrote:
clem21 wrote:
Thousandaire wrote: I can't stand it. Why go through all that just for $8,000? It's nothing. At least try to bluff your way to 25,000. I'm convinced this show would have higher ratings if people could not drop out before the $25,000 level.
Sure. Just tell me the number of your bank account.
Maybe it's in Nigeria.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

MarleysGh0st

#24 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 27, 2009 5:54 am

clem21 wrote: Secondly, apparently I has two BBs in house for my taping. Basketball_Junkie, I belatedly thank you for cheering for me. And if you didn't cheer for me...then screw you, you bastard.
:wink:
I don't think he delurked until November, so technically he wasn't a BB yet, at the time.

I'm sure it was your performance that inspired him to become one, though! :mrgreen:

lv42day

#25 Post by lv42day » Wed May 27, 2009 3:55 pm

Wwtbam seems to have a 6.5 million dollar a year budget. I think if they forced people to answer/guess until $25,000, they will go over budget. And you know the old saying about blood and turnips....