How can people be so heartless?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Sir_Galahad

How can people be so heartless?

#1 Post by Sir_Galahad » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:50 am

OK, so now that I have that Three Dog Night song in your head...

...onto the subject at hand.

On Friday night we watched 20/20 and one segment of the show featured a girl that decided to take daddy's car, a Porshe, for a spin. Unfortuantely, during her joyride she lost control of the car and smashed it into a toll booth, killing her instantly. But, that's not the bad part. And, I am going to get a little gruesome here so put the kiddies to bed.

Spoiler
In the aftermath, it was discovered that she had been decapitated. The highway patrol officer that took the pictures sent them via email to someone and they eventually found their way onto the internet. Now, I cannot understand why someone would want to show these pictures (and they are really gruesome - I haven't looked at them all) but, needless to say, the family is enraged over this. I feel this was heartless to display's this poor family's grief in graphic detail. During the segment they had interviewed one website owner that displayed the photos who flatly refused to remove them despite the family's request. I find this pretty despicable and sad that some people can have such cruelty in their hearts.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#2 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:26 am

This is a local story.

The horrible thing to me is that the CHP leaked the photos. The family is suing the CHP for $20,000,000 I believe.

peacock2121

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:35 am

It is a very cruel and thoughless thing to do.

I am sure it was rationalized in some way.

I do not even care to hear the rationalization.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#4 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:20 am

15 years ago I defended a case that involved such an injury and I am still haunted by the photos. Shame on whomever posted them, they should be shunned.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#5 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:07 pm

peacock2121 wrote:It is a very cruel and thoughless thing to do.

I am sure it was rationalized in some way.

I do not even care to hear the rationalization.
It was a horrific thing to do. I can think of one rationalization that would make it possible to do such a horrific thing. He might have sent it off to an old friend with a message something like, "Tell your kid that this is what's gonna happen to him next time he drives drunk!" The kid, being bulletproof and drunkdrivingaccidentproof, sends it to a couple friends, and there it is.

That's probably not even close to whatever horrible rationalization actually made it possible.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#6 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:09 pm

I saw the photos on the Internet.

I wish that I hadn't.

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:11 pm

For the record, this happened on Halloween a year ago.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#8 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:15 pm

The story about the parent's fight was in the local papers three or four months ago.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#9 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:41 pm

In the case I defended, I was representing a farmer and his employee Bubba G.. Bubba is a black man and because he worked outdoors was very dark. After the accident he surveyed the horrific scene and then ran about 3/4 of a mile to the nearest house to call for help. The lady that answered the door, claimed that Bubba was "white as a sheet" when she answered the door.

The accident happened when the father who was driving the on coming car, reached around to discipline the kid in the back seat who was acting up. He drifted left of center and collided with a piece of farm equipment.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

mrkelley23

#10 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:35 pm

I saw these photos on Snopes quite a while ago. It's one thing to see these kinds of things on CSI and such, but it's quite another to see them and know they're real.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman