Christmas shopping for a baby girl!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
PlacentiaSoccerMom

#26 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:18 am

minimetoo26 wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
minimetoo26 wrote: There are two Isabels in Mini-me's class. One is an Izzy already. She leaves candy on his desk when he gets up to pack away his lunchbox and has written his initials next to hers on her heart-shaped eraser. So if she becomes my daughter-in-law in a decade or so, I'll just call her Isabel until the Izzy vanishes...
That's so cute.

My girls have always been too judgemental of the boys around them to have crushes that young.

Ah, but they haven't met Mr. Wonderful! Tall, dimples, long eyelashes, very sweet disposition, and very smart. They'd have to look very hard to find the flaws!

(They could start by removing his shoes. They might find he wore his socks to bed and didn't change into the clean ones I put out for him in the morning....)
Maddie has met her Mr. Wonderful. He's older than she is, so I don't think anything is going to happen with him. He's cute and has a higher PPG average than she does at Quiz Bowl. (Isn't the latter what all teenage girls look for in a guy.)

fantine33

#27 Post by fantine33 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:19 am

I had no idea that Isabel and its forms were so popular until I read this thread! Although I knew it was making a comeback of sorts because a character was named Isabella on a tv show a few years ago (the woman who's married to Brad Paisley) and Turk's new daughter on Scrubs is Isabella.

My grandma (the one who liked Alice Cooper) was named Isabel. At least she thought it was her whole life. We unearthed her birth certificate sometime in the 70's and learned that what she thought was Isabel Catherine for 70-some years was actually Isabella Catharine. Ha!

I love the name Isabel and used to give my parents grief that they did not name me after my grandma. My grandma hated it and said she'd swap with me if she could.

All of which has nothing to do my felicitations for you, Sliver. Girls are more fun than boys, you can futz with them and put bows in their hair. Well, you can put bows in boys' hair, but they generally won't like it.

I think it's cute that your new puppy daughter and your new granddaughter have the same name. You need to get a picture of them together wearing t-shirts with each other's name on them!

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#28 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:28 am

fantine33 wrote: My grandma (the one who liked Alice Cooper) was named Isabel. At least she thought it was her whole life. We unearthed her birth certificate sometime in the 70's and learned that what she thought was Isabel Catherine for 70-some years was actually Isabella Catharine. Ha!

I love the name Isabel and used to give my parents grief that they did not name me after my grandma. My grandma hated it and said she'd swap with me if she could.

All of which has nothing to do my felicitations for you, Sliver. Girls are more fun than boys, you can futz with them and put bows in their hair. Well, you can put bows in boys' hair, but they generally won't like it.
My husband's grandmother always went by Jean, and we didn't find out it was really Jeanette until after she died. She had probably picked it because of Jeanette MacDonald. Her name was originally Hedwig. Good thing it was changed, because my husband's family is Very Big on passing down names, so my s-i-l is Jean. It could have been Hedwig, and she'd be in therapy.

Mini-me sat still for the bows better than Erin does. We'd put Demon Child's bows on him since they were 6 weeks apart, and she'd always pull them out, so we'd put them on Andrew so she'd want them back. He was very tolerant of our nonsense...

fantine33

#29 Post by fantine33 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:42 am

minimetoo26 wrote:
fantine33 wrote: My grandma (the one who liked Alice Cooper) was named Isabel. At least she thought it was her whole life. We unearthed her birth certificate sometime in the 70's and learned that what she thought was Isabel Catherine for 70-some years was actually Isabella Catharine. Ha!
My husband's grandmother always went by Jean, and we didn't find out it was really Jeanette until after she died. She had probably picked it because of Jeanette MacDonald. Her name was originally Hedwig. Good thing it was changed, because my husband's family is Very Big on passing down names, so my s-i-l is Jean. It could have been Hedwig, and she'd be in therapy.

Mini-me sat still for the bows better than Erin does. We'd put Demon Child's bows on him since they were 6 weeks apart, and she'd always pull them out, so we'd put them on Andrew so she'd want them back. He was very tolerant of our nonsense...
It's actually even funnier than my original post indicates. My grandma was still here at the time. We were going through her papers and stuff looking for old pictures (she had very little in the way of mementoes as she was born when her mom was in her 50's, so all the older siblings got all the family stuff). So she had her birth certificate in an old tin box with newspaper clippings and pictures and had never even looked at it! She said she liked Isabella a lot better because then maybe people would have called her Bella instead of Izzy.

I always liked Hedy, because of Hedy Lamarr (It's HEDLEY!), but I don't think I could have hung with Hedwig to get to it.

My nephews never went for the bows, but my teenage nephew can't keep his hands off of my hair claws. The minute I take one out and put it down, he's putting it on top of his head and prancing about. Which is rather comical, since he's almost 6 feet already (about 6 inches taller than anyone else in the family) with size 13 shoes.

tlynn78

#30 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:03 am

Congratulations, Shinygranny!! Grandchildren are the best.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

themanintheseersuckersuit

#31 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:28 pm

tlynn78 wrote: Shinygranny!!

t.
Snort!
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#32 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:34 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:

t.
Snort!
She's pushing it, isn't she?

:D

minimetoo26

#33 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:35 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:

t.
Snort!
She's pushing it, isn't she?

:D
Whack her with your cane, "Granny"!!!! Teach that whippersnapper some proper respect for her elders! :P

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#34 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:37 pm

minimetoo26 wrote: Whack her with your cane, "Granny"!!!! Teach that whippersnapper some proper respect for her elders! :P
Hah! I happen to know she's a whippergranny for herownself!

minimetoo26

#35 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:40 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
minimetoo26 wrote: Whack her with your cane, "Granny"!!!! Teach that whippersnapper some proper respect for her elders! :P
I got a late start on the kid thing, so I got a ways to go before y'all can call me that. I hope. Since my oldest is only 14....

But I'm betting the two of you can run circles around me.

ladysoleil

Re: Christmas shopping for a baby girl!

#36 Post by ladysoleil » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:46 pm

silvercamaro wrote:I've spent the morning on the internet, browser-shopping for clothes and toys for a baby girl.

My oldest son is the father of a brand-new baby of the pink sort, born last night. Her name is Isabella Nicole. She is the first girl in the family for about five decades! I hadn't even dared to consider that possibility.
Congratulations! :)

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#37 Post by Rexer25 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:51 pm

minimetoo26 wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:
I got a late start on the kid thing, so I got a ways to go before y'all can call me that. I hope. Since my oldest is only 14....
You think you got a late start. New Year's Eve, Annie turns 8. 6 months later, I turn t0.. damn keyboard doesn't work now...r0....I can't get that first digit out...%0...well, you know.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

minimetoo26

#38 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:54 pm

Rexer25 wrote:
minimetoo26 wrote:
silvercamaro wrote: Hah! I happen to know she's a whippergranny for herownself!
You think you got a late start. New Year's Eve, Annie turns 8. 6 months later, I turn t0.. damn keyboard doesn't work now...r0....I can't get that first digit out...%0...well, you know.
Well, when Erin turns 8, I'll be 7 weeks away from 49. So my husband will be 7 weeks away from 52. And I got to do all the "heavy lifting" for 4 kids. So I'll feel every minute of that 49....

MarleysGh0st

#39 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:01 pm

Rexer25 wrote: You think you got a late start. New Year's Eve, Annie turns 8. 6 months later, I turn t0.. damn keyboard doesn't work now...r0....I can't get that first digit out...%0...well, you know.
Don't sweat it, Rexer, there's a bunch of us turning 50 next year! :roll:

ladysoleil

#40 Post by ladysoleil » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:05 pm

Maddie has met her Mr. Wonderful. He's older than she is, so I don't think anything is going to happen with him. He's cute and has a higher PPG average than she does at Quiz Bowl. (Isn't the latter what all teenage girls look for in a guy.)
It's not just the teenagers. I totally rejected a potential suitor because his Countdown average sucked. ;) Okay, to be fair, he was also really annoying.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#41 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:08 pm

ladysoleil wrote:
It's not just the teenagers. I totally rejected a potential suitor because his Countdown average sucked. ;) Okay, to be fair, he was also really annoying.
There is nothing wrong with that...

Jeff was the only person in High School Quiz Bowl who had a PPG average even remotely close to mine and things have worked out for us.

He can be annoying, but then again, so can I. :)

tlynn78

#42 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:05 pm

minimetoo26 wrote:

Whack her with your cane, "Granny"!!!! Teach that whippersnapper some proper respect for her elders!

lol whippergranny? I revel in my grannyness. Grandchildren truly are the reward for not killing ones children. Jayden is the light of my life and if I could figure out how to do it, I'd post photos so you could all agree how exceptional he is.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

VAdame

#43 Post by VAdame » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:29 pm

Yay for Grandchildren! And it's nice that the name Isabelle/Isabella is making a comeback. Names go thru cycles. I was flabbergasted when my peers started naming their daughters Sarah & Hannah, and their sons Jacob & Isaac -- when I was growing up, those were old-fashioned "old people" names! I had friends who named their son (born in 1972 or 73 IIRC) Asa Gabriel. We all thought they were insane! Turns out they were actually cutting-edge.

Who knows, maybe Hedwig will be the next trend (Hee hee, spare me the "angry inch" jokes!)

I don't know too many little Angelo's, but Karen & John like it -- his full name will be Angelo Juan Edward Julian. Juan is Keith's middle name & Edward is Johnny's dad's. If he were a girl, he'd have been Selena :)

jayhawker536

#44 Post by jayhawker536 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:51 pm

Ah, finally a little girl for the Murphy clan. I doubt seriously that she will be spoiled :lol:

What a beautiful name for a little ballerina, I am sure you will see that this takes place. I just can't see Isabella steppin, Colleen maybe.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#45 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:20 pm

jayhawker536 wrote:Ah, finally a little girl for the Murphy clan. I doubt seriously that she will be spoiled :lol:

What a beautiful name for a little ballerina, I am sure you will see that this takes place. I just can't see Isabella steppin, Colleen maybe.
Ballet should come first, IMO, even if she wants to be a dancer of any other style. As for step dancing, at least her name may separate her a bit from the 4,000 Kathleen, Maureen and Corky Murphys that already are competing in every feis in North America.