Patriots - Jets over/under

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

Patriots - Jets over/under

#1 Post by gsabc » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:15 pm

50 points.

For the Patriots alone.

No, I really don't know the spread yet, but is anyone in doubt that the Pats will try to score early and often, mainly often? Today was very impressive, especially the defense in the second half. Yeah, they're still having some problems against the run, but who has a running game that can really carry a team nowadays?
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:45 am

I am not a happy camper.

that is all

mrkelley23

#3 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:17 am

What a crappy game.

When are the Stillers, et al., of the world going to learn that bulletin board material can make a mediocre team good, and a good team great?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:22 am

mrkelley23 wrote:What a crappy game.

When are the Stillers, et al., of the world going to learn that bulletin board material can make a mediocre team good, and a good team great?
From what I saw of the game, the bulletin board material didn't have much of an impact. The Pittsburgh coach said as much - the Patriots were just the better team.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

mrkelley23

#5 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:24 am

Oh, I definitely agree the Pats are the better team. But they'd nearly gotten sucker punched the last two weeks by inferior teams, who were smart enough not to trash talk the week before the game, and then tried some different things from their usual game plan to cross up the Pats. The Stillers talked all week, then stuck to their (extremely predictable, IMHO) game plan, and the Pats schooled 'em.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

peacock2121

#6 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:30 am

mrkelley23 wrote:Oh, I definitely agree the Pats are the better team. But they'd nearly gotten sucker punched the last two weeks by inferior teams, who were smart enough not to trash talk the week before the game, and then tried some different things from their usual game plan to cross up the Pats. The Stillers talked all week, then stuck to their (extremely predictable, IMHO) game plan, and the Pats schooled 'em.
Beedums and I talked about this. I am no football expert, I do know about playing games and I do know about succeeding in goals. You gotta play appropriate to the other player. You gotta be able and willing to read and/or know the other guy so you can act and react appropriately. The Steelers made the mistake of not doing that.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#7 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:42 am

If only the Jets could play the Dolphins every week.

We've written the season off. Now, they're just playing for the draft pick....

Appa23

#8 Post by Appa23 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:20 am

mrkelley23 wrote:Oh, I definitely agree the Pats are the better team. But they'd nearly gotten sucker punched the last two weeks by inferior teams, who were smart enough not to trash talk the week before the game, and then tried some different things from their usual game plan to cross up the Pats. The Stillers talked all week, then stuck to their (extremely predictable, IMHO) game plan, and the Pats schooled 'em.
LOL! One player from the Steelers "trash talked", and it really was not even trash talking. He gave a a very tepid prediction that the Steelers would win if they executed all of their offensive and defensive game plans. Oooohhhhhh, them's fightin' words.

Listening to ex-NFL players discuss the "quote" this week, it confirmed what I knew from my soccer and basketball playing days: when the whistle blows and the game starts, all of that pre-game stuff is forgotten. Your sole focus becomes what is happening that instant in the game.

Patriots were the much better team yesterday (well, it seems mainly in the second half).

andrewjackson

#9 Post by andrewjackson » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:10 am

People were talking up the grudge that the Cowboys had against the Lions but that didn't seem to help.

Jason Hanson missing a field goal was most of what they needed.
No matter where you go, there you are.

trevor_macfee

#10 Post by trevor_macfee » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:09 pm

Here's another perspective from Michael Wilbon's weekly chat at Washtingtonpost.com:

Guarantees: About this supposed "guarantee" that the Steelers would beat the Pats. Isn't everyone making a bit much of this? He didn't pull a Kitna and talk big and make guarantees without being asked anything. He responded to a question about whether or not his team was going to win. Who WOULDN'T answer that with "yes" ?

Michael Wilbon: It was moronic. His teammates have said so. Former Steeler Jerome Bettis said it very well before the game on NBC. It was moronic, period. And he can't even play. He's nobody. Why say it? If he'd paid any attention all season he'd know that the Patriots had dedicated every ounce of their energy to trashing anybody who didn't think they were football gods. Why wake them up? They'd just come off two close games...Why say anything like that? If you walk up to Tom Brady or Bill Belichick and say, "Wow, congratulations, you guys are great" they'd say, "SO, YOU THINK WE'RE MERELY GREAT! YOU INSULT US BY SAYING ALL WE ARE IS GREAT!" I'm just glad to hear the Patriots admit it. I'm glad they didn't phony it up like they've been doing. Just say, "We want to crush you, we can crush you, and we'll spend the next 60 minutes trying to crush you." But to oblige them, and give them reason to have perfect practices for a couple of days is just plain...stupid.

moonie

#11 Post by moonie » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:34 pm

Speaking of grudges, the actions of Jets coach Eric Mangini turning in the Pats and Belicheck for stealing signs, etc in WK 1 is going to make this game the rout of the century.

The NFL punished the Pats by 500000K, plus a first round draft pick.
Mangini started out under Belicheck and worked there for 10 years. I think he made a major boo-boo.

There was an NFL game back in the 40's that was 73-0 (I believe the Bears won that one).

Could this game be the same????
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to Lurk i go!

gsabc

#12 Post by gsabc » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:03 pm

moonie wrote:There was an NFL game back in the 40's that was 73-0 (I believe the Bears won that one).

Maybe not, but I suspect the Pats will give it a try. :)

The zebras had better learn the various "personal foul" signals. This one's gonna be ugly.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Appa23

#13 Post by Appa23 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:19 pm

moonie wrote:Speaking of grudges, the actions of Jets coach Eric Mangini turning in the Pats and Belicheck for stealing signs, etc in WK 1 is going to make this game the rout of the century.

The NFL punished the Pats by 500000K, plus a first round draft pick.
Mangini started out under Belicheck and worked there for 10 years. I think he made a major boo-boo.

There was an NFL game back in the 40's that was 73-0 (I believe the Bears won that one).

Well, if Brady, Moss, and Welker are playing in teh 4th quarter, it could be.

However, it then equally could be that the Jets decide that they have nothing to lose and put some well-targeted hits on Patriots who should have been sitting on the NE bench much earlier in the game. :twisted:

There is a reason why Manning had found a seat on the Colts bench aleady in the 3rd quater of their blowout yesterday.

traininvain

#14 Post by traininvain » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:18 pm

minimetoo26 wrote:If only the Jets could play the Dolphins every week.

We've written the season off. Now, they're just playing for the draft pick....
What's funny (unless you're a Jet's fan) about this is, since the Pats traded their first round pick to the 49er's last year, they will be getting the 49er's first round pick for 2008, and that will probably the #3 pick, one pick ahead of the Jets at #4. Belichick just keeps getting to stick it to the Jets.
Enjoy every sandwich