top o' the mornin'®

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

top o' the mornin'®

#1 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:26 am

The word of the day is "abscission."

Although we aren't experiencing ice (yet), the temperatures are in the low 40s and there's misty rain falling (with fog in some areas). Not a pleasant morning to be on the roads, that's for sure. It's one of the reasons I prefer public transportation.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

mrkelley23

#2 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:28 am

Took me fifteen minutes longer to commute this morning than usual, and we don't even have really bad weather. The combination of dark roads (why our state highway, which is a major thoroughfare, doesn't have any street lights for a three-mile stretch is beyond me) and lots of rainfall over the last 48 hours is bad. But the current rain, along with the incompetence of Evansville drivers, made it three times worse. Not dangerous, just slow and frustrating.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#3 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:07 am

The winds are starting up again here, but at least it's not raining any more.

tanstaafl2

#4 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:37 am

I remember it as a fairly high dollar question, possibly going back to PT WWTBAM. Seems like it was missed at the time but not sure about that.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:39 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:I remember it as a fairly high dollar question, possibly going back to PT WWTBAM. Seems like it was missed at the time but not sure about that.
I'm pretty sure earendel remembers that one. :(

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:42 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:I remember it as a fairly high dollar question, possibly going back to PT WWTBAM. Seems like it was missed at the time but not sure about that.
You're joking, right?

For the uninitiated, that was the answer to the $125,000 question that I had on PTBAM. It wasn't the answer I selected, however.

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:45 am

earendel wrote:
You're joking, right?

For the uninitiated, "abscission" was the answer to the $125,000 question that I had on PTBAM. It wasn't the answer I selected, however. The question was:

The technical term for the process by which trees lose their leaves every autumn is what?
A - abscission
B - sublimation
C - deracination
D - transpiration

I chose "C".

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:47 am

earendel wrote: For the uninitiated, that was the answer to the $125,000 question that I had on PTBAM. It wasn't the answer I selected, however.
And is this the seventh anniversary of that episode, ear?

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:49 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote: For the uninitiated, that was the answer to the $125,000 question that I had on PTBAM. It wasn't the answer I selected, however.
And is this the seventh anniversary of that episode, ear?
Yep.

tanstaafl2

#10 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:35 am

earendel wrote:
You're joking, right?

For the uninitiated, that was the answer to the $125,000 question that I had on PTBAM. It wasn't the answer I selected, however.
Nah, not joking, just ignorant of that fact! Unless it is some bit of useless trivia that appeals to me I have a hard time remembering yesterday, much less 7 years ago.

But on the plus side your misfortune permanently ingrained that word in my memory, along with deracination.

Knowing that makes up for the money you lost on the question, right?

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

earendel

#11 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:39 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:
earendel wrote:
You're joking, right?

Nah, not joking, just ignorant of that fact! Unless it is some bit of useless trivia that appeals to me I have a hard time remembering yesterday, much less 7 years ago.

But on the plus side your misfortune permanently ingrained that word in my memory, along with deracination.

Knowing that makes up for the money you lost on the question, right?

Of course! :lol: