It takes a village.

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

It takes a village.

#1 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:12 am

My doorbell rang. A neighbor I hadn't met said a huge broken branch was hovered over my car. I should move it, he said. I tried. The car doors were frozen shut, and I couldn't get inside. I gave up.

Outside, the noise from breaking branches sounds like gunshots. My backyard is filled with branches and ice. The good thought is that everything that lands on grass can't go through a roof.

The next-door neighbor rang the bell about 15 minutes later. Same message. I told him my problem. This guy, a former football player, is about 6-5 and probably nearly as strong as in his playing days. He couldn't budge the frozen doors either.

Two women from across the street came over, offering to search for de-icer to help with the door. In the meantime, the big guy went off to get a sheet of corrugated cardboard and a piece of wood. He covered the door handle and pounded with the wood, which pushed it in far enough to crack the ice in the latch. He muscled the door open. I got in, started it and managed to get the car in reverse. About an inch of ice is still on the windshield, however, so he guided me backwards about 30 feet, which is neither a perfect nor permanent location, but out of the most immediate harm's way.

If, between us all, I can get some of the ice off the windshield so see enough to go forward, I will try to get the car into the street later. It's pouring rain again, with at least another half-inch of solid ice expected this morning.

We still have electricity. Nearly 300,000 households do not.

I wish I had helmets for the dogs when they need to go outside to twizzle.

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:16 am

You gotta love neighbors like that.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Appa23

Re: It takes a village.

#3 Post by Appa23 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:25 am

silvercamaro wrote:My doorbell rang. A neighbor I hadn't met said a huge broken branch was hovered over my car. I should move it, he said. I tried. The car doors were frozen shut, and I couldn't get inside. I gave up.

Outside, the noise from breaking branches sounds like gunshots. My backyard is filled with branches and ice. The good thought is that everything that lands on grass can't go through a roof.

The next-door neighbor rang the bell about 15 minutes later. Same message. I told him my problem. This guy, a former football player, is about 6-5 and probably nearly as strong as in his playing days. He couldn't budge the frozen doors either.

Two women from across the street came over, offering to search for de-icer to help with the door. In the meantime, the big guy went off to get a sheet of corrugated cardboard and a piece of wood. He covered the door handle and pounded with the wood, which pushed it in far enough to crack the ice in the latch. He muscled the door open. I got in, started it and managed to get the car in reverse. About an inch of ice is still on the windshield, however, so he guided me backwards about 30 feet, which is neither a perfect nor permanent location, but out of the most immediate harm's way.

If, between us all, I can get some of the ice off the windshield so see enough to go forward, I will try to get the car into the street later. It's pouring rain again, with at least another half-inch of solid ice expected this morning.

We still have electricity. Nearly 300,000 households do not.

I wish I had helmets for the dogs when they need to go outside to twizzle.

We have used hot water before to get into a frozen car.

I fear that I will have the same issue tomorrow morning, unless I clean out my side of the garage, so that I can get my car in.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#4 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:28 am

My e-mail horoscope for today is kind of funny:

"You feel just a wee bit out of balance today and that could mean it's time to readjust or reprioritize your activities. If you're not in the mood, the push ahead anyway -- but expect a few bumps along the way! "

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:29 am

An inch of ice!? :shock:

We missed the worst of it; only a thin glaze of freezing rain last night and the salt trucks had cleared that from the roads in time for the morning commute.

I'm glad the Camaro is safe. It's had enough of stuff falling on it.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#6 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:33 am

You have nice neighbors!

I am glad that you have electricity and your car hasn't been damaged.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#7 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:33 am

We've now been warned to conserve water. The water treatment plant has ceased operations, not by choice.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#8 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:35 am

silvercamaro wrote:We've now been warned to conserve water. The water treatment plant has ceased operations, not by choice.
Oh no.

Can you fill up some containers and put them in the fridge, just in case? I am sure that everyone who can drive is emptying the shelves of water.
(That's what happened in Connecticut.)

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:41 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:We've now been warned to conserve water. The water treatment plant has ceased operations, not by choice.
Oh no.

Can you fill up some containers and put them in the fridge, just in case? I am sure that everyone who can drive is emptying the shelves of water.
With all the ice on the roads, it might be a bit difficult to get to the stores to buy water. Your recommendation is a good one, though - fill as many bottles and other containers as possible with water.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#10 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:43 am

earendel wrote:
Oh no.

With all the ice on the roads, it might be a bit difficult to get to the stores to buy water. Your recommendation is a good one, though - fill as many bottles and other containers as possible with water.
If you have an extra bathtub, you could also fill it with water. If the water gets turned off, you can use a bucket to transfer water to the toilets, so you can flush.

peacock2121

#11 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:52 am

We (translate that to Sting) filled jugs with water yesterday so we would be able to flush the toilets if our power went out. We have been lucky so far - the trees do not seem to be covered with ice yet.

I am still not certain I will be able to make it off the hill this afternoon.

We have heat and food - so .... we are fine.

Hope you all stay fine as well.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#12 Post by AnnieCamaro » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:56 am

peacock2121 wrote: We have heat and food - so .... we are fine.

Hope you all stay fine as well.
We should be fine, too.

I will look forward to hearing from Hermillion for the Tulsa report. Jayhawker might be getting this in southern Kansas, too, and it may even reach east to Amaz in Arkansas. I hope all is going well for them.
Sou iu koto de.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#13 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:10 am

I'll be the Village Idiot and mention that it 73 and sunny here. :)

FTR, given a choice between a hurricane and an ice storm, I'd choose the hurricane.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Bob Juch

#14 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:21 am

Oh no.

I have a cabinet filled with jugs of water and Gatoraide, just in case. I also have about a week's supply of canned food.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ToLiveIsToFly

#15 Post by ToLiveIsToFly » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:24 am

Appa23 wrote:[We have used hot water before to get into a frozen car.
I worry that this runs the risk of cracking any glass it comes in contact with.

tanstaafl2

#16 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:25 am

If you have power a hair dry may help unfreeze the doors. Rubbing alcohol mixed with windex or the like can serve as a windshield de-icer or perhaps use the rubbing alcohol on the doors to loosen them up.

If you need water maybe you can put out a tub and collect some of the freezing rain to use in a pinch!
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:27 am

Next time run a drop light to your car.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#18 Post by BackInTex » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:27 am

AnnieCamaro wrote: I will look forward to hearing from Hermillion for the Tulsa report.
Might be awhile before we hear from Tulsa. I had a consultant flying up there this morning, but all flights from Houston were cancelled. The Tulsa airport was without power. Our recent acuistion up there is without power.

So there is a good chance that Hermillion is without power.

brrrrrrrrrrr. I feel for them.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

tlynn78

#19 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:49 am

Goodness! Everyong stay safe and warm, please. It's snowing like crazy outside my office window right now - like being inside a snowglobe. I dint even know it was supposed to snow. Give me snow over ice anyday...

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#20 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:53 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:I'll be the Village Idiot and mention that it 73 and sunny here. :)

FTR, given a choice between a hurricane and an ice storm, I'd choose the hurricane.
Poor baby! I'll send you my sweater!

It's 78 here. :P

I too prefer hurricanes.

Appa23

#21 Post by Appa23 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:55 am

ToLiveIsToFly wrote:
Appa23 wrote:[We have used hot water before to get into a frozen car.
I worry that this runs the risk of cracking any glass it comes in contact with.
Maybe I should have been more specific.

Hot water on lock and door crease.

We never poured hot water on windows.

Appa23

#22 Post by Appa23 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:58 am

minimetoo26 wrote:
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:I'll be the Village Idiot and mention that it 73 and sunny here. :)

I too prefer hurricanes.
Who wouldn't? It always is preferable when you can get several days worth of warning -- whether it be sotrm or impending family visits. :lol:

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#23 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:41 pm

minimetoo26 wrote:

It's 64 degrees here, with very little wind. The air is clear and I can see the snow on the mountains from the window of my retreat.

andrewjackson

#24 Post by andrewjackson » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:04 pm

75F and rainy here. Supposed to be back up to 77 on Tuesday once we get rid of the rain.

I really do sympathize about the frozen door locks, though. It's a pain and often difficult to remedy without damaging the door. I used to live in a house trailer at the summer camp in Michigan and once got frozen inside the trailer. Ice had coated the entire outside of the metal door and frame and was frozen pretty good. And nothing I could do about it from inside.

The horse barn staff had to break through the ice with hammers and then use a pocket torch on the joint and latch mechanism to get it open. I told them I wasn't in any hurry but they insisted that I needed to get out to help them with everything else that was frozen up.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Bob Juch

#25 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:03 pm

I'm watching a live report from Oklamoma City showing fallen branches with one inch diamater ice coating the twigs. They say 13 dead so far. :(