Ya know...I didn't sign up for this crap!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
fuzzywuzzy

Ya know...I didn't sign up for this crap!

#1 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:57 pm

Well, the mutha of all ice storms is cometh to Kansas City this evening.

Therefore, I may be without: power & heat!

Yeah, I am just really thrilled about this...I feel your pain down there in Oklahoma.

One bad thing already...the Weather Channel is broadcasting from the Plaza - 5 minutes from my home. Poor Mike Siedel gets all the crud jobs!

Hey, at least you all can see our pretty Plaza lights for the holidays all across the country! Enjoy! 8)

We are trying to come up with meals we can eat that you do not have to heat up... but, hopefully not cold food.

fwh, says we are getting a generator next year!

I'll keep you all posted...

fuzzywuzzy :(
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:02 pm

Buy a Coleman Camp Stove. You can make coffee, heat up soup, make pasta etc through the worst of any storm.

Stay well and keep smiling. It will be over soon.

MarleysGh0st

Re: Ya know...I didn't sign up for this crap!

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:08 pm

fuzzywuzzy wrote:One bad thing already...the Weather Channel is broadcasting from the Plaza - 5 minutes from my home. Poor Mike Siedel gets all the crud jobs!
That's his job description, isn't it?

"Wherever the worst weather in the country is at any particular time--that's where we're sending you!"

fuzzywuzzy

#4 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:12 pm

peacock2121 wrote:Buy a Coleman Camp Stove. You can make coffee, heat up soup, make pasta etc through the worst of any storm.

Stay well and keep smiling. It will be over soon.
Thanks Pea... I think we will!

fuzzy
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#5 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:18 pm

I am so sorry Fuzzy!

You might also want to fill up some containers of water in case your water supply is compromised.

fuzzywuzzy

#6 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:20 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I am so sorry Fuzzy!

You might also want to fill up some containers of water in case your water supply is compromised.
OY, I didn't even think of that!

Thanks PSM!

I will stock up on the water!

Thanks!

Kelly
— Mark Twain

- Judy Garland

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#7 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:22 pm

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I am so sorry Fuzzy!

OY, I didn't even think of that!

Thanks PSM!

I will stock up on the water!

Thanks!

Kelly
You could also find a Hickory Farms.

Beef stick and cheese may have a lot of calories, but you don't have to cook it.

There's always peanut butter and Jelly and other sandwiches.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#8 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:30 pm

When Emma was about one year old, we had a bad ice storm in Connecticut. Because we had no heat or electricity, we went to a hotel. The closest hotel (because nobody had heat or electricity) was a 45 minute drive away.

We stayed for a few days (I smuggled Sebastian in) and was relieved when it was time to go home.

I thought that I had packed everything, but somehow, Emma's Ted (a blue puffalump bear) got lost. We didn't discover that he was gone until bedtime and Emma could not sleep at all.

I called the hotel and they couldn't find Ted.

I went to the toy store and they didn't carry Ted. Mattel didn't make Ted any more.

Grandmas and Aunties went out and found Ted in California and he was overnighted to us in Connecticut.

After that, I went on Ebay and found several other Teds. (Emma has five of them.)

A week later, somebody at the hotel found Ted.

My advice to anyone with a kid with a transition object. Make sure that you have a duplicate and rotate play with the object so it gets equally worn.

Appa23

#9 Post by Appa23 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:53 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:When Emma was about one year old, we had a bad ice storm in Connecticut. Because we had no heat or electricity, we went to a hotel. The closest hotel (because nobody had heat or electricity) was a 45 minute drive away.

We stayed for a few days (I smuggled Sebastian in) and was relieved when it was time to go home.

I thought that I had packed everything, but somehow, Emma's Ted (a blue puffalump bear) got lost. We didn't discover that he was gone until bedtime and Emma could not sleep at all.

I called the hotel and they couldn't find Ted.

I went to the toy store and they didn't carry Ted. Mattel didn't make Ted any more.

Grandmas and Aunties went out and found Ted in California and he was overnighted to us in Connecticut.

After that, I went on Ebay and found several other Teds. (Emma has five of them.)

A week later, somebody at the hotel found Ted.

My advice to anyone with a kid with a transition object. Make sure that you have a duplicate and rotate play with the object so it gets equally worn.
Unfortunately, each of my kids' "comfort objects" was not found in any store but rather handmade by a family friend, so it isn't like we could say, "Could you churn out a few duplicates in case we misplace the first one?"

Every time that we have travelled, The Boy's White Bear (silky blanket with bear head and body) and PP's pink silky blanket would get put inside of their pillows. Of course, now, the baby's silky blanket always in in the car seat with her.

He has outgrown White Bear, and she will be done with her blankie in a year or two, but they will have them to give to their children, despite being so "well-loved" in places.

However, we did have a similar story with Monkey Brown, who was his first stuffed animal. After having a passport made for him and weeks of preparation, he got left at home when we took off for our cruise a couple years ago. Fearing the worst, he took it all in stride and decided that he would just show the pictures. (Plus, he got a towel monkey on the ship. :D )

tlynn78

#10 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Fuzzy, take care and stay warm! Pea's suggestion is a good one, just make sure there is good ventilation, and PSM's water suggestion is a definate must.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

tlynn78

#11 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:57 pm

My advice to anyone with a kid with a transition object. Make sure that you have a duplicate and rotate play with the object so it gets equally worn

My number two son had a blankie made out of an old curtain. I had my mom make a spare. He used the second one after the first one wore out, until he was eight or nine. Once he got 'too old' for a blankie, (around 6) he would hide it in the bottom of his sleeping bag for overnights with friends, so as not to lose face.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

fuzzywuzzy

Re: Ya know...I didn't sign up for this crap!

#12 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:06 pm

fuzzywuzzy wrote:Well, the mutha of all ice storms is cometh to Kansas City this evening.

Therefore, I may be without: power & heat!

Yeah, I am just really thrilled about this...I feel your pain down there in Oklahoma.

One bad thing already...the Weather Channel is broadcasting from the Plaza - 5 minutes from my home. Poor Mike Siedel gets all the crud jobs!

Hey, at least you all can see our pretty Plaza lights for the holidays all across the country! Enjoy! 8)

We are trying to come up with meals we can eat that you do not have to heat up... but, hopefully not cold food.

fwh, says we are getting a generator next year!

I'll keep you all posted...

fuzzywuzzy :(
UPDATE....

Ok, well, if you are familiar with my postings, you all know that I usually do NOT post in the evenings.

I am at work since I have NO electricity at home and its pretty cold in our home.

I did not go to work this morning cause our electricity went out at 7:15 am and is still out.

Thanks for all the suggestions...we have been talking about getting a generator installed...and now after the first of the year, we are going to get one!

Its worth it here...

My thoughts and prayers are out to all our friends in Oklahoma who also have no power.

fuzzywuzzy
— Mark Twain

- Judy Garland

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#13 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:27 pm

Fuzzy, good luck through it all. My fingers are crossed that your electricity will return quickly, and that trees/traffic/street problems will stay at a minimum.

It's a darn shame that Liz Claiborne doesn't make stuff out of goose down!

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#14 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:28 pm

I hope that your power gets turned on soon.

fuzzywuzzy

UPDATE

#15 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:07 am

As of 9:00 am cst, I still have no electricity, and therefore, no heat.
I am at work, and will stay here til, who knows... its 45 degrees in my home. fwh, is going to get a generator today, so that we can run a sump pump and plug in a small heater in the basement to keep the pipes from freezing.

It takes alot to get my feathers ruffled... but, I am madder than a wet hen! yeah... I know.

I just hope that the people who are in dire need are getting service. I worry about that!

I think that our electric company gives all their emergency line people a script to stick by...And, no matter, what a customer may tell you, give them the hard line, "We appreciate your problem, and we are working on it!" Good thing that there aren't video phones, cause, we would probably see the customer service person also giving us the finger.

fuzzy :x
— Mark Twain

- Judy Garland

peacock2121

#16 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:20 am

I am sorry you are going through this.

Who are you mad at?

MarleysGh0st

Re: UPDATE

#17 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:26 am

fuzzywuzzy wrote: I think that our electric company gives all their emergency line people a script to stick by...And, no matter, what a customer may tell you, give them the hard line, "We appreciate your problem, and we are working on it!" Good thing that there aren't video phones, cause, we would probably see the customer service person also giving us the finger.
I hope they get your power back quickly, fuzzy, but what story can you tell them that would be any different than what every other customer is telling them? You've evacuated from the house, you're warm and safe, there's no medical emergency (like needing a dialysis machine or something)--a widespread disaster like this is something they have to deal with as best as they can.

fuzzywuzzy

#18 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:28 am

peacock2121 wrote:I am sorry you are going through this.

Who are you mad at?
The power company was here yesterday at 10:30 am, and told fwh, that it would be fixed in a few hours. There are 900 homes in Johnson County without electricity...the people across the street have electricity...but, we do not. I am just mad at the system itself... I have been in a blizzard with 36 inches of snow and had electricity 24 hours later. I think my panties are in a twist cause I had to sleep with all my clothes on. :?

They did not have anyone working last night to take care of their customers...too bad for you!

I hope our friends in Oklahoma are having better luck!

fuzzy
— Mark Twain

- Judy Garland

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#19 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:33 am

fuzzywuzzy wrote:

Who are you mad at?
The power company was here yesterday at 10:30 am, and told fwh, that it would be fixed in a few hours. There are 900 homes in Johnson County without electricity...the people across the street have electricity...but, we do not. I am just mad at the system itself... I have been in a blizzard with 36 inches of snow and had electricity 24 hours later. I think my panties are in a twist cause I had to sleep with all my clothes on. :?

They did not have anyone working last night to take care of their customers...too bad for you!

fuzzy

You got Ameren over there in western Missouri? If so, you might want to make sure you have a week's worth of sleeping clothes....

Hopefully they learned something from all the problems they had in the St. Louis area last year....

lb13

Appa23

#20 Post by Appa23 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:43 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
fuzzywuzzy wrote:

Who are you mad at?

fuzzy

You got Ameren over there in western Missouri? If so, you might want to make sure you have a week's worth of sleeping clothes....

Hopefully they learned something from all the problems they had in the St. Louis area last year....

lb13
That would be Johnson County, KS, I am guessing.

I was wondering about how widespread the problem was, seeing that none of our family who live in Johnson County lost power.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#21 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:46 am

Appa23 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
fuzzywuzzy wrote: The power company was here yesterday at 10:30 am, and told fwh, that it would be fixed in a few hours. There are 900 homes in Johnson County without electricity...the people across the street have electricity...but, we do not. I am just mad at the system itself... I have been in a blizzard with 36 inches of snow and had electricity 24 hours later. I think my panties are in a twist cause I had to sleep with all my clothes on. :?

fuzzy

lb13

I was thinking Jackson... :oops:

Right area, wrong side of the border....

lb13
Last edited by littlebeast13 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#22 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:47 am

Oops!

Must have hit quote instead of edit....

lb13

Appa23

#23 Post by Appa23 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:50 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Appa23 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13

I was thinking Jackson...

Rigth area, wrong side of the border....

lb13

Two counties close in name, close in geogrpahy, far apart in resident lifestyle.

(There was a time when Johnson County, KS, had the highest per household income in the nation, or some crazy statistic like it.)

peacock2121

#24 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:51 am

fuzzywuzzy wrote:

Who are you mad at?

fuzzy
Sleeping in my clothes would put my panties in a twist as well.

Especially if I did alot of turning over.

That was meant to make you giggle.

fuzzywuzzy

Re: UPDATE

#25 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:51 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
fuzzywuzzy wrote: I think that our electric company gives all their emergency line people a script to stick by...And, no matter, what a customer may tell you, give them the hard line, "We appreciate your problem, and we are working on it!" Good thing that there aren't video phones, cause, we would probably see the customer service person also giving us the finger.
I hope they get your power back quickly, fuzzy, but what story can you tell them that would be any different than what every other customer is telling them? You've evacuated from the house, you're warm and safe, there's no medical emergency (like needing a dialysis machine or something)--a widespread disaster like this is something they have to deal with as best as they can.
I am sorry that I am ticked off...its just the system itself. I know that I am blessed, and never take that forgranted. But, there are people with babies and small children in my neighborhood, who also do not have electricity or heat. I am worried about my neighbors...

fuzzy
— Mark Twain

- Judy Garland