Transcript 06/08/09 Melissa Wegner

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 06/08/09 Melissa Wegner

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:54 pm

Melissa Wegner
Buffalo, NY
Classical singer

Guest host Shaun Robinson, co-host of “Access Hollywood.”

Melissa sang at Carnegie Hall

Today is Melissa’s mom, Gerry’s birthday. She is in the audience.
Shaun asks Melissa is she would like to sing Happy Birthday to her mother.
Melissa says should would if the audience would help out.
She does and they do.

Topic Tree:

Life and Death
Brave New Words
The Iron Horse
You Are So Grounded
Great Thinkers
TV Crushes
No, No, No!
Man-Made
Sherbet vs. Sorbet
Kidz Bop
Hillary Clinton
Games We Play
Trilogies
Familiar Phrases
Exotic Beauty

$100 Despite its name, every woman who has ever won the Miss Universe pageant has been from what planet?
A. Neptune
B. Earth
C. Mercury
D. Planet Thong
Spoiler
B. Earth (6)
$200 Someone who speaks or acts without thinking is said to “shoot from the” what?
A. Chin
B. Heel
C. Back
D. Hip
Spoiler
D. Hip ( 8 )
$300 Which of these movies is part of a trilogy?
A. The Godfather: Part III
B. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
C. 3:10 to Yuma
D. Three Days of the Condor
Spoiler
A. The Godfather: Part III (3) Only six seconds remained on the clock after Shaun finished reading the question and choices.
$500 Which of these playthings typically features dots, or “pips,” on its surface?
A. Chess piece
B. Domino
C. Checker
D. Scrabble tile
Spoiler
B. Domino (6)
$1K Ending her bid for the White House in 2008, Hillary Clinton thanked her voters for putting “18 million cracks” in the what?
A. Brick ceiling
B. Wood ceiling
C. Glass ceiling
D. Stone ceiling
Spoiler
C. Glass ceiling (5)
commercial break

Melissa was adopted from an orphanage called Fana in Bogotá, Columbia.

Melissa has a passion for music. She would like to use some of her winnings to create an organization to get more people involved in music.

Shaun introduces today’s ATE, $100,000 “Millionaire” winner, Tom Spencer.

$2K Debuting in 2001, “Kidz Bop” is a wildly successful series of kid-oriented what?
A. Board games
B. Music CDs
C. Fitness videos
D. Detective novels

Melissa: I have a pretty good idea, but this is real money we’re playing for, so I’m going to ask the audience.

ATA ( 18)

3% A. Board games
71% B. Music CDs
24% C. Fitness videos
2% D. Detective novels

Spoiler
B. Music CDs (15)
$4K In the U.S. what ingredient does sherbet commonly have that sorbet commonly lacks?
A. Sugar
B. Water
C. Milk
D. Fruit
Spoiler
C. Milk (21)
$8K What famous structure is topped by a 200-foot spire that was originally conceived as a dock for zeppelins?
A. Empire State Building
B. Eiffel Tower
C. Sears Tower
D. Seattle Space Needle

ATE (9)

Tom says that the Empire State Building was definitely a dock for zeppelins. He’s doesn’t know if the Eiffel Tower was one or not.

Spoiler
A. Empire State Building (6)
commercial break

$16K In which of these languages is the word for “no” spelled the same as it is in English?
A. Finnish
B. Italian
C. German
D. French
Spoiler
B. Italian (19)
$25K Before assuming nursing duties as Samantha Taggart on “ER,” Linda Cardellini was the star of what teen TV drama?
A. My So-Called Life
B. Party of Five
C. Freaks and Geeks
D. Felicity

PAF (15)

Melissa’s PAF team:

Tiffany from New York, NY – a friend
Jim from New York, NY – a buddy
Stuart from Orchard Park, NY – Melissa’s brother

PAF – Jim

Jim asks Melissa to repeat the choices.
As time expires, Jim says “I’m going to say Freaks and…”

Spoiler
C. Freaks and Geeks (9)
commercial break

$50K Though widely written about by others, which of these great thinkers left no formal writings of his own?
A. Plato
B. Socrates
C. Euclid
D. Aristotle

DD (32)

Melissa’s first choice, Aristotle, is incorrect.

Melissa’s second choice is correct.

Spoiler
B. Socrates (24)
horn

Melissa will return for tomorrow’s show.

Answers:
$100 B. Earth
$200 D. Hip
$300 A. The Godfather: Part III
$500 B. Domino
$1K C. Glass ceiling
$2K B. Music CDs
$4K C. Milk
$8K A. Empire State Building
$16K B. Italian
$25K C. Freaks and Geeks
$50K B. Socrates

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: Transcript 06/08/09 Melissa Wegner

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:12 pm

$25K Before assuming nursing duties as Samantha Taggart on “ER,” Linda Cardellini was the star of what teen TV drama?
A. My So-Called Life
B. Party of Five
C. Freaks and Geeks
D. Felicity

PAF (15)

Melissa’s PAF team:

PAF – Jim

Spoiler
[Obscure] Spoiler:
C. Freaks and Geeks (9)[/
OK on this stack except for this one. I never heard of the show that's the answer.

ATA and hope for a solid bump.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

vettech

#3 Post by vettech » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:00 pm

Thanks for this. It was preempted here for some infomercial or something (WTF???). They couldn't do that during the 2 weeks of repeats? :x

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:15 pm

vettech wrote:Thanks for this. It was preempted here for some infomercial or something (WTF???). They couldn't do that during the 2 weeks of repeats? :x
Sheesh!

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:18 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Melissa Wegner
Buffalo, NY
Classical singer

And how nice that they found a WE/WE for her to start off with! Did they have to pay a royalty for that rendition of Happy Birthday? :roll:

I hesitated on the $2K “Kidz Bop” question and would have burnt the ATA there, then I'd have Google PAFed the $25K Linda Cardellini question.

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#6 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:23 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Buffalo, NY
Classical singer

And how nice that they found a WE/WE for her to start off with! Did they have to pay a royalty for that rendition of Happy Birthday? :roll:

I hesitated on the $2K “Kidz Bop” question and would have burnt the ATA there, then I'd have Google PAFed the $25K Linda Cardellini question.
Is Buffalo considered WE territory?

I might have ATAed on Kidz Bop because of the fitness video distractor. Reading here, I comfortably said Empire State Building, but I don't know if I would have been that certain if it actually counted.
Screw you guys, I'm going home.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:32 pm

Southpaw Fanny wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Buffalo, NY
Classical singer

Oops, no, my mistake. Melissa is only a What Else.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#8 Post by sunflower » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:37 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
A. My So-Called Life
B. Party of Five
C. Freaks and Geeks
D. Felicity

PAF (15)

Melissa’s PAF team:

PAF – Jim

Spoiler
[Obscure] Spoiler:
C. Freaks and Geeks (9)[/
OK on this stack except for this one. I never heard of the show that's the answer.

ATA and hope for a solid bump.
I never watched that show, but I watched the other 3 and knew it wasn't them. This was a fairly easy stack of questions for me, that doesn't happen often, where I think I can get through them all without lifelines...

Damn Kidz Bop...I'll never forget it, after downloading songs when I first started using iTunes without being cautious about the artist, sometimes you end up with the Kidz Bop version...

TheConfessor

#9 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:38 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:Did they have to pay a royalty for that rendition of Happy Birthday? :roll:
Good point. I hadn't thought of that. I think the answer is yes, which may cause added complications when this episode is packaged for reruns on GSN or elsewhere.

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:12 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Southpaw Fanny wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: And how nice that they found a WE/WE for her to start off with! Did they have to pay a royalty for that rendition of Happy Birthday? :roll:

Oops, no, my mistake. Melissa is only a What Else.
Actually she is a WE/WE. She talked about being a choir director in Westchester county. Two of her PAFs were in NYC too. I suppose TPTB are trying to show some diversity.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

hanzz

#11 Post by hanzz » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:34 pm

Only had trouble with the Cardellini question and....I'm sorry...."Shoot from the hip." It's these dumb little phrases that most under 20 have not heard of that I would work on before getting on the show. Kidz Bop on the other hand? The Nickelodeon commercials pounded.into.my.head growing up.
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#12 Post by sunflower » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:39 pm

hanzz wrote:Only had trouble with the Cardellini question and....I'm sorry...."Shoot from the hip." It's these dumb little phrases that most under 20 have not heard of that I would work on before getting on the show. Kidz Bop on the other hand? The Nickelodeon commercials pounded.into.my.head growing up.
I'd brush up on those "dumb little phrases" if I were you and I were going through the audition process, the show loves them...

hanzz

#13 Post by hanzz » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:47 pm

sunflower wrote:
hanzz wrote:Only had trouble with the Cardellini question and....I'm sorry...."Shoot from the hip." It's these dumb little phrases that most under 20 have not heard of that I would work on before getting on the show. Kidz Bop on the other hand? The Nickelodeon commercials pounded.into.my.head growing up.
I'd brush up on those "dumb little phrases" if I were you and I were going through the audition process, the show loves them...
Ohhh, I know, and I am, but still doesn't make them any less dumb :wink:

Millionaire Fan

#14 Post by Millionaire Fan » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:16 pm

Is it just me or does this contestant look like Chishell Stause? The woman who plays Amanda Dillion on All My Children. Also watching this episode was like watching the first episode when Cat Deeley hosted. If this contestant wins $100,000 tomorrow then this will definitely be deja vu.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#15 Post by Estonut » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:01 am

SportsFan68 wrote:OK on this stack except for this one. I never heard of the show that's the answer.
It was a great show about high school around the time that the 80's became the 90's. It is now very highly regarded by all of the critics who never watched it and never gave it a chance while it was actually on the air. It lasted about a season, with some additional episodes aired here and there, IIRC. The whole series is out on one DVD set.

In addition to Linda Cardellini, it was my first exposure to Judd Apatow (the producer) and a bunch of actors who you'd certainly recognize today (quite a few from Judd Apatow's recent movies):

John Francis Daley - The Geena Davis Show, Boston Public, Regular Joe, Kitchen Confidential, Judging Amy, Spin City, now best known as Lance on Bones

James Franco - TV biography "James Dean," the "Spider-Man" series, "Pineapple Express," "Nights in Rodanthe," "Milk"

Seth Rogen - "The 40-Year-Old Virgin," "Knocked Up," "Donnie Darko," "You, Me and Dupree," "Observe and Report," "Anchorman," "Superbad," "Step Brothers," "Pineapple Express"

Jason Segel - how i met your mother, " Forgetting Sarah Marshall," "Knocked Up," "I Love You, Man"

Busy Philipps - Dawson's Creek, ER, "Made of Honor," Sarah Connor Chronicles, "He's Just not That into You"

Samm Levine - a ton of subsequent TV credits, Quentin Tarentino's upcoming "Inglourious Basterds."
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

earendel

#16 Post by earendel » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:35 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Melissa Wegner
Buffalo, NY
Classical singer

Melissa sang at Carnegie Hall

She does and they do.
OK, first off, this is supposed to be a game show, not "Access Hollywood". Cut out the schmaltzy singing and get to the game!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100 Despite its name, every woman who has ever won the Miss Universe pageant has been from what planet?
A. Neptune
B. Earth
C. Mercury
D. Planet Thong
Spoiler
B. Earth (6)
H-o-w s-l-o-w-l-y c-a-n S-h-a-u-n r-e-a-d t-h-e a-n-s-w-e-r-s???? Seriously, with the clock ticking, she takes almost 2/3 of Melissa's time just to finish reading the answers. And it doesn't get any better as the show goes on. I surely hope someone spoke to Shaun after the first show and told her to move it along.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Shaun introduces today’s ATE, $100,000 “Millionaire” winner, Tom Spencer.[/i]
Well, at least Melissa gets a real expert.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2K Debuting in 2001, “Kidz Bop” is a wildly successful series of kid-oriented what?
A. Board games
B. Music CDs
C. Fitness videos
D. Detective novels

Melissa: I have a pretty good idea, but this is real money we’re playing for, so I’m going to ask the audience.

ATA ( 18)

3% A. Board games
71% B. Music CDs
24% C. Fitness videos
2% D. Detective novels
Spoiler
B. Music CDs (15)
Yes, it's real money, but you also need to keep those lifelines if possible.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K What famous structure is topped by a 200-foot spire that was originally conceived as a dock for zeppelins?
A. Empire State Building
B. Eiffel Tower
C. Sears Tower
D. Seattle Space Needle

ATE (9)

Tom says that the Empire State Building was definitely a dock for zeppelins. He’s doesn’t know if the Eiffel Tower was one or not.
Spoiler
A. Empire State Building (6)
Thank you, Doc Savage! I remember reading about this in this series.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K In which of these languages is the word for “no” spelled the same as it is in English?
A. Finnish
B. Italian
C. German
D. French
Spoiler
B. Italian (19)
OK, this one I didn't know, and the right answer would not have occurred to me, given that Italian is a Romance language, as is French. Time to use a lifeline - Double Dip with A and B as my final answers.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K Before assuming nursing duties as Samantha Taggart on “ER,” Linda Cardellini was the star of what teen TV drama?
A. My So-Called Life
B. Party of Five
C. Freaks and Geeks
D. Felicity

PAF (15)

Melissa’s PAF team:

PAF – Jim

Spoiler
C. Freaks and Geeks (9)
Time for lifeline #2 - might as well ATA and see if they know it.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K Though widely written about by others, which of these great thinkers left no formal writings of his own?
A. Plato
B. Socrates
C. Euclid
D. Aristotle

DD (32)

Melissa’s first choice, Aristotle, is incorrect.

Melissa’s second choice is correct.
Spoiler
B. Socrates (24)
I "pre-called" the answer to this one.

So it's on to tomorrow's show; we might get to see two contestants.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#17 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:32 am

Bob Juch wrote:Actually she is a WE/WE. She talked about being a choir director in Westchester county. Two of her PAFs were in NYC too. I suppose TPTB are trying to show some diversity.
Ha! That's right! TPTB tried to trick us and I subconsciously detected their deception!

I'll accept Fanny's apology now. :mrgreen:

MarleysGh0st

#18 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:33 am

That's why people should have some life experience before they appear on quiz shows.

Why don't you put off auditioning until you're forty? :twisted:

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#19 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:34 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:Actually she is a WE/WE. She talked about being a choir director in Westchester county. Two of her PAFs were in NYC too. I suppose TPTB are trying to show some diversity.
Ha! That's right! TPTB tried to trick us and I subconsciously detected their deception!

I'll accept Fanny's apology now. :mrgreen:
How can you accept that which was not offered?

f33

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#20 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:37 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
That's why people should have some life experience before they appear on quiz shows.

Why don't you put off auditioning until you're forty? :twisted:
And you might want to have that caber removed from your hindquarters before you audition again.

Seriously, Marley, what is up with you lately?

MarleysGh0st

#21 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:39 am

Southpaw Fanny wrote:Seriously, Marley, what is up with you lately?
Yesterday morning, I was in a seriously rotten mood. I admit that.

The post I made in this thread was a joke. Sorry if you didn't get that.

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#22 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:40 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Southpaw Fanny wrote:Seriously, Marley, what is up with you lately?
Yesterday morning, I was in a seriously rotten mood. I admit that.

The post I made in this thread was a joke. Sorry if you didn't get that.
:wink: = joke

:twisted: = mean

Also, this is a new poster who might not yet understand your curmudgeonly outlook and bitter audition experiences. Sorry if you don't understand that.

MarleysGh0st

#23 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:47 am

:twisted: = Twisted Evil

hanzz has already read some of my posts over on the TWOP board. If he hasn't already noticed that the atmosphere is a little different over here, it'll be an immersion lesson, for sure.

hanzz, I was joking, okay? But joking with a little core of seriousness... :mrgreen:

hanzz

#24 Post by hanzz » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:51 pm

Haha, no problem at all Marley, I've been a message board geek since I was 12 so, not to toot my horn or anything, but I'd like to think I adjust quickly to the nuances of each new forum I join. It is certainly a different atmosphere from TWoP (most notably here there are no taskmasters to tan your hide if you get off-topic).
MarleysGhost wrote:Why don't you put off auditioning until you're forty? :twisted:
Ha. Fat. Chance. In. :twisted: .

NellyLunatic1980

#25 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:20 pm

Buffalo, NY
Classical singer
What Else®
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Guest host Shaun Robinson, co-host of “Access Hollywood.”
I don't know who she is, but she's hot.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Melissa sang at Carnegie Hall

She does and they do.
They do realize that they have to pay royalties on that, don't they?

After the third question, I realized that Shaun's slow reading could pose some issues on the bottom tier this week.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Shaun introduces today’s ATE, $100,000 “Millionaire” winner, Tom Spencer.
Tom has been one of the better Experts, so we may be in luck this week.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K In the U.S. what ingredient does sherbet commonly have that sorbet commonly lacks?
A. Sugar
B. Water
C. Milk
D. Fruit
Even before the question came up, I saw the category and immediately shouted "Sherbet has milk, sorbet has water!"

$25K: IIRC, Claire Danes starred in A, Neve Campbell starred in B, and Keri Russell starred in D. Even though I've never watched "Freaks and Geeks", by process of elimination, it had to be the correct answer.

$50K: I seem to recall a $500K question in the web version of WWTBAM asking what the basis of the "Socratic Problem" was and the answer was "Socrates left no writings". I said that answer before the choices came up, and since it did come up amongst the four, I had to lock it in.

So it looks like I'm going for $100,000 with all of my lifelines. Yay me!