Transcript 6/12/2009 - Andrew Nelson (carryover contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 6/12/2009 - Andrew Nelson (carryover contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:56 pm

Shaun Robinson, guest host

Andrew Nelson
New Bedford, MA
Rare bookseller

Topic Tree:
- Hello Dolly!
- The First Time
- Harry Potter
- Presidential Palaces
- Hawaii
- Systems Go!
- Creepy Quotes
- Recent Legislation
- Sportswear
- Boston Globe
- Beefalo
- Postage Stamps
- Fresh Coat
- Houdini
- Around the House

This is Shaun's last day so she wants Andrew to win the $1M. His sister had breast cancer and passed away at age 34; he wants to donate to a scholarship fund in her memory. There are other things he'd like to do also.

Tom Spencer completes a week as the Ask the Expert expert.

$8000 - In 2008, what became the second U.S. state, after Massachusetts, to legalize same-sex marriage?
A - Oregon
B - New Hampshire
C - California
D - Maine
Spoiler
C - California (20)
$16000 - "It places the lotion in the basket" is a creepy and and oft-quoted line from what acclaimed '90s film?
A - Fargo
B - The Silence of the Lambs
C - The Sixth Sense
D - Pulp Fiction

Andrew says he has no idea so he opts to Ask the Audience, stopping the clock with 17 seconds remaining.
ATA results
ATA results:
A - 3%
B - 71%
C - 11%
D - 15%
Andrew goes with the audience.
Spoiler
B - The Silence of the Lambs (14)
$25000 - Though they sound like they're part of the brain, memory cells are actually part of what bodily system?
A - digestive system
B - reproductive system
C - respiratory system
D - immune system

Andrew gives the question a lot of thought but ends up using his Phone a Friend lifeline. The clock stops with 10 seconds left. On Andrew's PAF list are his friend Ron, from New Bedford, MA; his brother Sean, from Newton, MA; and his friend Sarah, from Medford, MA. Andrew chooses Sean.
PAF results
Andrew paraphrases the question and abbreviates the answers (leaving off "system"). Sean repeats the question back to him, and the answers. He finally says "immune". Andrew asks if he's positive and Sean (speaking to someone else in the room, asks "Positive?" However the clock runs out before Sean can say anything.
Spoiler
D - immune sysem (7)
commercial break

Shaun jokes that Sean may ask for a percentage. Andrew's parents David and Joyce are in the relationship seats. Shaun asks Andrew to tell her more about his sister. She worked in Wasington, D.C. Everyone was very proud of her.

$50000 - The "pua aloalo" is Hawaii's official state what?
A - gem
B - bird
C - flower
D - fish

Andrew has no idea so he wants to Ask the Expert, stopping the clock with 32 seconds.
ATE results
Shaun asks Tom if he's ever been to Hawaii. Tom gets the question and says, "Oh, wow, that's a tough one, isn't it?" He doesn't know Hawaiian so he can't figure it out. He knows that states have lists of official things and some of them include gems. He can't help Andrew.
Andrew burns his last lifeline, the Double Dip, stopping the clock with 31 seconds left.
DD results
Andrew makes "C - flower" his first final answer; he doesn't need the second one.
Spoiler
C - flower (31)
Shaun asks why Andrew was so sure. He replies that "alo" made him think of flowers.

$100000 - The "Blue House" is the government residence of what country's president?
A - Brazil
B - South Korea
C - India
D - Philippines

Andrew loves to travel and his friends might expect him to know it. He mumbles that he thinks it's India but doesn't know why. He decides to take $50K and walk away.
Spoiler
B - South Korea (5)
commercial break

jarnon

Re: Transcript 6/12/2009 - Andrew Nelson (carryover contestant)

#2 Post by jarnon » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:35 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50000 - The "pua aloalo" is Hawaii's official state what?
A - gem
B - bird
C - flower
D - fish
I didn't know this, but I knew it wasn't a fish. The Hawaii state fish is humuhumunukunukuapuaa.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:46 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Shaun Robinson, guest host

Andrew Nelson
New Bedford, MA
Rare bookseller

This is Shaun's last day so she wants Andrew to win the $1M. His sister had breast cancer and passed away at age 34; he wants to donate to a scholarship fund in her memory. There are other things he'd like to do also.
If only it were that simple, Shaun.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16000 - "It places the lotion in the basket" is a creepy and and oft-quoted line from what acclaimed '90s film?
A - Fargo
C - The Sixth Sense
D - Pulp Fiction

Andrew says he has no idea so he opts to Ask the Audience, stopping the clock with 17 seconds remaining.
ATA results
ATA results:
A - 3%
B - 71%
C - 11%
D - 15%
Andrew goes with the audience.
Spoiler
B - The Silence of the Lambs (14)
No idea on this one, so I'll ATA just like Andrew did. I've never seen any of those movies.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50000 - The "pua aloalo" is Hawaii's official state what?
A - gem
B - bird
C - flower
D - fish

Andrew has no idea so he wants to Ask the Expert, stopping the clock with 32 seconds.
ATE results
Shaun asks Tom if he's ever been to Hawaii. Tom gets the question and says, "Oh, wow, that's a tough one, isn't it?" He doesn't know Hawaiian so he can't figure it out. He knows that states have lists of official things and some of them include gems. He can't help Andrew.
Andrew burns his last lifeline, the Double Dip, stopping the clock with 31 seconds left.
DD results
Andrew makes "C - flower" his first final answer; he doesn't need the second one.
Spoiler
C - flower (31)
I'm pretty sure it's not a gem. I know it's not a bird (the nene is the state bird, IIRC), so that leaves two choices. Might as well Double Dip and use C and D for my two responses, in that order.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Shaun asks why Andrew was so sure. He replies that "alo" made him think of flowers.
Pretty gutsy move.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100000 - The "Blue House" is the government residence of what country's president?
A - Brazil
B - South Korea
C - India
D - Philippines

Andrew loves to travel and his friends might expect him to know it. He mumbles that he thinks it's India but doesn't know why. He decides to take $50K and walk away.
Spoiler
B - South Korea (5)
I've seen it, so I'd be going for $250K (with a Harry Potter question to boot!) with ATE and PAF remaining.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:24 am

$16K: I've seen all of these movies, but I don't remember this line. I will also ask the audience.

$50K: I can immediately eliminate bird because that is the nene, which has no relation to our beloved Nenê!® from the Nuggets. My thought is either flower or fish. I'll Double Dip.

I precalled South Korea for the Blue House, so I'm going for $250K with two lifelines.

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:20 am

Here's an article about Andrew's appearance.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbc ... /906130338

hanzz

#6 Post by hanzz » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:26 pm

Going for $250K with 2 lifelines (DD on $50K, PAF on $100K)
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#7 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:28 pm

$16000 - "It places the lotion in the basket" is a creepy and and oft-quoted line from what acclaimed '90s film?
A - Fargo
C - The Sixth Sense
D - Pulp Fiction

Between the book and the movie, this line is very familiar to me.

I hated what Harris did with Hannibal and was glad the movie rehabilitated it a bit.

$25000 - Though they sound like they're part of the brain, memory cells are actually part of what bodily system?
A - digestive system
B - reproductive system
C - respiratory system
D - immune system

No idea, none. So I google it, and typing in memory cells give me this via auto-complete: memory cells in the immune system

$50000 - The "pua aloalo" is Hawaii's official state what?
A - gem
B - bird
C - flower
D - fish

ATE because I already used up by PAF on memory cells. Maybe I get another chance . . .

$100000 - The "Blue House" is the government residence of what country's president?
A - Brazil
B - South Korea
C - India
D - Philippines

This is a great google -- "the blue house" residence president gets you an entire page of stuff about South Korea. I'm dead in the water already, though.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:40 pm

Here's another article about Andrew, which mentions his $50,000 win on SyndieBAM (which is why Google News Search brought it to my attention).

http://bostinno.com/2012/01/13/from-who ... an-images/

Andrew is now The Ultimate Boston College Fan. It looks like he only had to collect a bunch of stuff, instead of winning an online poll for the title, like Bix did for her UTF one. :P

The old football posters are kind of interesting, though. I wonder what Sprots would think of the one sponsored by Lucky Strike? :P

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#9 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:26 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:Here's another article about Andrew, which mentions his $50,000 win on SyndieBAM (which is why Google News Search brought it to my attention).

http://bostinno.com/2012/01/13/from-who ... an-images/

Andrew is now The Ultimate Boston College Fan. It looks like he only had to collect a bunch of stuff, instead of winning an online poll for the title, like Bix did for her UTF one. :P

The old football posters are kind of interesting, though. I wonder what Sprots would think of the one sponsored by Lucky Strike? :P
I didn't like it. Here's what I wrote in "The Firm" thread.

I do not disapprove of smoking. Anyone who smokes in the comfort and privacy of her or his own home will never get any grief from me.

What I dislike about smoking on television is its societal normalization. Lots of movies and television shows in the 50s and 60s showed people smoking -- Dr. Gillespie on Dr. Kildare, for crying out loud. I was watching some video clips of Fred Astaire this morning, and one scene showed him with a cigarette in his mouth and smoke trailing off behind. The viewer never sees him actually inhaling. Pretty slick, Fred. Anyway, the smoking rate back then was about 50% of the adult population. Last I heard, it's currently about 18%.

Of course I would like it to be 0%. My mother died a horrible lingering death from cancer, and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Her youngest brother died within 30 seconds from a horrible cardiac event while he was in the hospital recovering from pneumonia, and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy either.

It's my opinion that the less normal that smoking is presented to be in mass media, the less young people will take it up, and the faster we'll get to that 0%. A flashy television show with attractive lead characters, including a beautiful brunette with a cigarette in her hand, no matter how briefly, will not contribute toward getting us there.

I wrote this partly to reply to the Lucky Strike remark in another thread, and I'm going to copy it there.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:14 pm

Oh, I didn't think you'd like it, Sprots. I only mentioned it because of the tie-in reference to the other thread.

Actually, that poster caught my eye, more than all of the others, because of the woman in it with the Robin Hood-style hat, who looks rather more elegant than we would picture a typical football fan, today. Then I clicked on the image for a closer look and noticed the sponsor.

The "Temple vs Boston College" poster on the right end of that row is kind of interesting, too. Has that kicker just missed the football and is he about to fall on his back, Charlie Brown-style? :lol:
Spoiler

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#11 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:36 pm

Yes, I just wanted to reply in some way rather than giving the appearance I was ignoring it.

Those "classic" posters don't bother me so much because these days, they're largely ignored as a marketing tool. What did bother me, until the national tobacco settlement outlawed it, were the Marlboro and Copenhagen sponsorships of rodeos, car races, and other high energy events. Those were aimed directly at teens, with free samples given out at events.

I just sneaked a peek at the National Western Stock Show, events happening Jan. 7-22 in Denver. The sponsors were CenturyLink, Chevrolet, Pepsi, Coors, Cinch Jeans and Shirts, and Dodge Ram, plus a couple television and radio stations. It was great. Usta be, half the sponsors would be cigarettes and snuff.