Transcript 06/16/2009 Dave Johnston (DaveAtLaw)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 06/16/2009 Dave Johnston (DaveAtLaw)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:26 pm

Dave Johnston
New York, NY
Law Student originally from California
wants to go in to public interest law
wants to be able to afford doing this while paying off law school loans
also take his mom on a trip

Topic Tree
Living Large
The Supreme Court
Starving Artists
Far-Out Food
Wild World of Sports
What to Wear
Movies in a Nutshell
Fruit
Higher Education
Shaping Up
The House Bunny
Going Stag
Song Titles
What's That?
Monumental Figures

$100 (Monumental Figures):
The Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial and Jefferson Memorial are all named after highly respected what?
A. Explorers B. U.S. presidents
C. Playwrights D. Game show hostesses
Spoiler
B. U.S. presidents (:05)

$200 (What's That?):
Familiar to schoolkids everywhere, a "PB&J" is a kind of what?
A. Sandwich B. Action figure
C. Backpack D. Athletic shoe
Spoiler
A. Sandwich (:09)

$300 (Song Titles):
Though it really doesn't, which of these song titles sounds like it refers to an ox?
A. Hound Dog B. Rockin' Robin
C. Cat's in the Cradle D. Beast of Burden
Spoiler
D. Beast of Burden (:09)

$500 (Going Stag):
By definition, a man who attends a party "stag" attends it how?
A. With a date B. Without a date
C. Dressed in formalwear D. Dressed casually
Spoiler
B. Without a date (:09)

$1000 (The House Bunny):
Fittingly, what media mogul is featured in 2008 comedy "The House Bunny"?
A. Steve Forbes B. Ted Turner?
C. Hugh Hefner D. Rupert Murdoch
Spoiler
C. Hugh Hefner (:10)
Expert is Ashleigh Banfield, truTV correspondent. Mere says she did a great job yesterday.

$2000 (Shaping Up):
By definition, which of these geometric shapes is a parallelogram?
A. Triangle B. Pentagon
C. Rectangle D. Circle
Spoiler
C. Rectangle (:18)

$4000 (Higher Education):
Named for its home state's popular nickname, The Evergreen State College is located where?
A. Washington B. Oregon
C. Montana D. Idaho

ATA at :18
ATA
A-53% B-34% C-8% D-5%
Spoiler
A. Washington (:10)
Commercial break

$8000 (Fruit):
Beneath its leathery skin, what fruit is composed of hundreds of bright red seeds called arils?
A. Star fruit B. Kumquat
C. Persimmon D. Pomegranate
Spoiler
D. Pomegranate (:10)

$16K (Movies in a Nutshell):
In a nutshell, "One woman writes a novel, another reads it, and the third lives it" is the premise of what movie?
A. Cold Mountain B. The Hours
C. Memoirs of a Geisha D. Atonement

Ask the Expert (:19)
ATE
Asked if she has time for movies, Ashleigh says she has 2 kids under 3 so go figure
Ashleigh says she knows it but asked what he had to offer her. (Did she take lessons from Clem's PAF???) He says how about lunch in the village?
Ashleigh pretty sure it is B, and describes Nicole Kidman's role
Spoiler
B. The Hours (:13)
$25K (What to Wear):
The 1879 patent for the Statue of Liberty describes the statue as wearing what type of classical garment?
A. Ricinium B. Chiton
C. Stola D. Strophium

Mom: Suzanne, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
brother: Robert, San Diego, CA
friend: Chris, New York, NY
PAF
Mom is his PAF
He simplifies it for googling by listing keywords asking what the statue wears.
Mom is sure it is stola with about :03 left
Spoiler
C. Stola (:15)
Commercial Break

$50K (Wild World of Sports):
What is the rough translation of "buzkashi," the name for a popular sport in Afghanistan?
A. Camel-boxing B. Dog-muzzling
C. Goat-grabbing D. Monkey-wrestling

DD (:12)
Spoiler
C. Goat-grabbing (:12)

Mere said that was such a weird answer and expressed amazement that it was his first guess
$100K (Far-Out Food):
In 1962, astronaut John Glenn became the first American to eat in space when he ate what food from a toothpaste-like tube?
A. Applesauce B. Mashed potatoes
C. Tomato soup D. Chocolate pudding
Spoiler
A. Applesauce (The clock ran to :08 when he made his decision to walk final)
Walk--$50,000

Rafferbee

Re: Transcript 06/16/2009 Dave Johnston

#2 Post by Rafferbee » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:36 pm

Woo-hoo Dave! Law school in New York isn't cheap.

Now, I know you're reading this. Care to come out of lurkdom and accept your congratulations?

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#3 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:55 pm

Rafferty Barnes wrote:Woo-hoo Dave! Law school in New York isn't cheap.

Now, I know you're reading this. Care to come out of lurkdom and accept your congratulations?

Maybe he's waitibg for MBFBB's roast.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

hanzz

#4 Post by hanzz » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:11 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Dave Johnston
New York, NY
Grr, that's like half of my hook: I wanna go into public health or surgery, I need the money to pay off med school loans, and I would like to send my mom to Australia (she wanted to go there after the divorce to be as faaaaar away as she possibly be could, but finances barred that lofty goal)

Topic Tree
Living Large
The Supreme Court
Starving Artists
Far-Out Food
Wild World of Sports
What to Wear
Movies in a Nutshell
Fruit
Higher Education
Shaping Up
The House Bunny
Going Stag
Song Titles
What's That?
Monumental Figures
Boo to no geography. Every stack needs at least one.

The Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial and Jefferson Memorial are all named after highly respected what?
Spoiler
I did like Meredith's sarcastic little "Har-har."
$200 (What's That?):
Spoiler

$300 (Song Titles):
Though it really doesn't, which of these song titles sounds like it refers to an ox?
Spoiler

$500 (Going Stag):
Spoiler

$1000 (The House Bunny):
Spoiler
Expert is Ashleigh Banfield, truTV correspondent. Mere says she did a great job yesterday.
Well, technically she was only 1 for 2 yesterday, and 50%'s a solid F in my book.

Ha, I kid, I actually think this is one of the better experts out there.

$2000 (Shaping Up):
A. Triangle B. Pentagon
C. Rectangle D. Circle
Spoiler

Named for its home state's popular nickname, The Evergreen State College is located where?
A. Washington B. Oregon
C. Montana D. Idaho

ATA
A-53% B-34% C-8% D-5%
Spoiler
Never mind, I guess this was the token geography question. Erm, I was about 90% sure on this, so I probably would have gone for it. Nihil obstat thus far.

Commercial break
$8000 (Fruit):
Beneath its leathery skin, what fruit is composed of hundreds of bright red seeds called arils?
A. Star fruit B. Kumquat
Spoiler
Got it by process of elimination, I don't think I've ever seen a pomegranate before, but the juice is red, right?
In a nutshell, "One woman writes a novel, another reads it, and the third lives it" is the premise of what movie?

ATE
Asked if she has time for movies, Ashleigh says she has 2 kids under 3 so go figure
Ashleigh says she knows it but asked what he had to offer her. (Did she take lessons from Clem's PAF???) He says how about lunch in the village?
Spoiler
Whoo, I love being on Oscars nerd! (But I forget, what, exactly, are the ''hours''?)

$25K (What to Wear):
The 1879 patent for the Statue of Liberty describes the statue as wearing what type of classical garment?
A. Ricinium B. Chiton
C. Stola D. Strophium

PAF
Mom is his PAF
Spoiler
Only after looking up Stola did it jog my memory that it was the female equivalent of the Toga, which was my initial response before the choices came up. I probably would have ATE, as I think ATA would be useless on this and I wanna save my PAF. I can see Ashleigh maybe knowing this.
Commercial Break

What is the rough translation of "buzkashi," the name for a popular sport in Afghanistan?

Spoiler

Mere said that was such a weird answer and expressed amazement that it was his first guess
Goat-grabbing is the only one that made sense out of the four. How could a camel box back? Who would pay to watch someone run around to muzzle a dog? Monkey wrestling makes a little more sense, but there aren't too many monkeys to be found in Afganistan I don't think. Just to ensure that I would continue, I would probably DD with C as my first choice.
$100K (Far-Out Food):
In 1962, astronaut John Glenn became the first American to eat in space when he ate what food from a toothpaste-like tube?
Spoiler
Walk--$50,000
Definitely google PAF, although I tried several combinations of "John Glenn", "first food", and "space", and the answer doesn't come very easily. If I hadn't used DD on the question before, I would have guessed C first, then A. ATA at this point would, again, probably be useless.

Very good job to Dave, an extremely likable guy. He has one of those "I think I may know you from somewhere" faces, so...good for him?
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

DaveAtLaw

#5 Post by DaveAtLaw » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:42 pm

Thanks Megan and Hanzz. I had an amazing time on the show, and consider myself incredibly lucky. I'm amazed that my lifelines all worked out.

Mom was clearly Googling, and I want to especially thank the BBTranscriptTeam and Moderators for helping make that work. So often, I'd see people run out of time when trying to Google in 30 seconds. To avoid that, I practiced with Mom for at least an hour using the old questions and answers I found in the transcripts here. In the end, we figured out the best way to lay out the keywords and avoid all superfluous talking on my part. And it worked! I couldn't have done it without you all. Thank you! Extra special thanks to Megan for introducing me to this site.

I'm happy to answer any question you might have about my experience, and I hope you have plenty!

Thanks,

Dave

hanzz

#6 Post by hanzz » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:53 pm

Welcome to the boards, Dave! Let me reiterate my congratulations to you, a well-earned $50K. I'm a college student myself, and if I had a sudden windfall of $50K, I would be absolutely elated. Just what does $50,000 mean to you? (And, if you don't mind my asking, how much is gonna end up going to Uncle Sam?) Are you still going to take that trip with your mom? How hard was it to wait so many months and not tell anyone?

And, finally, and this is for my benefit as I'm auditioning for the first time this Friday, what do you feel like you did at your audition to stick out or clinch a happy postcard?
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

DaveAtLaw

#7 Post by DaveAtLaw » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:11 pm

In rapid succession, as I'm on my way to bed after an exciting day:

1. To me, $50K means an overdue vacation for Mom, a Macbook for me (purchased months ago right after we taped), and fewer loans for me to take out. I don't really look at it as positive money, just less negative money. It's less debt I have to take out now. I still plan a special celebration at Cardozo Law when we're back in session.

2. I'm setting aside $15K in case Uncle Sam decides he wants that much. Since that's pretty much my only income for the year, I'm hoping he won't.

3. We're going on a trip as soon as Mom decides where. She just found out about it when she watched the show a few minutes ago. She wants me to keep the money for school, but I insisted. Besides, it was on TV. That makes it binding :)

4. Keeping the secret was tough. Almost everyone at the law school knew I was on the show, and several asked me how much I won every time I passed them in the halls. They're tricky, too, trying to get hints. "Do you have any money yet?" "Well, IF I DID WIN, I wouldn't see a check until after broadcast."

5. I took maybe 8 people to my tapings over the two times I went (they ran out of time and couldn't fit me in the first time). Most of my guests were law students. Only one passed the written test. Apparently it's harder than I thought.

I tried to stick out first by wearing that bright blue polo I wore on the show. I quickly found it to be my lucky shirt. I was wearing it on the day of my great audition, and I think the color helped me stand out. I happened to be wearing it on the day, several months later, when they called to invite me on the show. I asked if I could wear it on the show, and the show's lawyer said yes, as long as I covered up the Aeropostale logo. So I did, with a pin. Did you notice? :P

I also think I stuck out by telling the producer the exciting story of my near-death experience.

Best of luck in your audition!

NellyLunatic1980

#8 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:56 am

New York, NY
He's a Where Else®, but he's now a Bored Buddy... so welcome, Dave! :)
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Expert is Ashleigh Banfield, truTV correspondent. Mere says she did a great job yesterday.
But she didn't help out Megan enough. :|
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000 (Fruit):
A. Star fruit B. Kumquat
LOL! And we talk about pomegranates a lot on this Bored lately... particularly yesterday!

$25K: I've never heard of any of these words. This is definitely one for the PAF.

$50K: For Afghanistan, camel-boxing and goat-grabbing seemed like the most likely out of the four. I'll Double Dip on A and C.

$100K: Pbfft! No freakin' clue on this one. I have the audience and the expert remaining... and I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that neither know this answer. I'll use them anyway, but unless somebody recently studied outer space food, I'm also walking with $50,000.

Great game, Dave! Spend that $50,000 wisely! :)

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:23 am

New York, NY
A WE®.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:wants to go in to public interest law
He noted that his mom was a single mom who raised three children.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4000 (Higher Education):
A. Washington B. Oregon
C. Montana D. Idaho

ATA
A-53% B-34% C-8% D-5%
Spoiler
Dave showed a lot of brio in going for this with a fairly weak audience response.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000 (Fruit):
A. Star fruit B. Kumquat
Spoiler
Time for me to ATA because I have no idea.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K (Movies in a Nutshell):

ATE
Spoiler
Uh, oh, I've never seen any of these movies so it's time for another lifeline. I'd probably PAF on this one.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K (What to Wear):
A. Ricinium B. Chiton
C. Stola D. Strophium

PAF
Mom is his PAF
Spoiler
I was leaning toward C; with only DD and ATE left I'd risk it and make that my final answer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K (Wild World of Sports):

Spoiler
Well "muzzling" isn't likely to be a popular sport, and there aren't many monkeys in Afghanistan, so it's either A or C. I'm not sure where I learned this, but I knew the right answer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K (Far-Out Food):
Spoiler
Time to DD - it's either A or D, figuring it would have to be something that would be palatable cold (or at least lukewarm).

Whew! I get to see the $250K question, but no lifelines left. With "Starving Artists" as the category I don't like my chances of going any further.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:26 am

DaveAtLaw wrote:Thanks Megan and Hanzz. I had an amazing time on the show, and consider myself incredibly lucky. I'm amazed that my lifelines all worked out.

Mom was clearly Googling, and I want to especially thank the BBTranscriptTeam and Moderators for helping make that work. So often, I'd see people run out of time when trying to Google in 30 seconds. To avoid that, I practiced with Mom for at least an hour using the old questions and answers I found in the transcripts here. In the end, we figured out the best way to lay out the keywords and avoid all superfluous talking on my part. And it worked! I couldn't have done it without you all. Thank you! Extra special thanks to Megan for introducing me to this site.

I'm happy to answer any question you might have about my experience, and I hope you have plenty!

Thanks,

Dave
Welcome, Dave! As for questions about your experience we want to know all about it - what prompted you to audition in the first place, how many times before you got the :D card, your thoughts while in the Hot Seat, your Social Security card number :mrgreen: , etc.

earendel

#11 Post by earendel » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:28 am

DaveAtLaw wrote:2. I'm setting aside $15K in case Uncle Sam decides he wants that much. Since that's pretty much my only income for the year, I'm hoping he won't.
It depends upon a lot of factors - in my case, out of the $32K I won, the government took about $10K. Having sought the advice of a financial expert, we took that $10K and invested it so that we could get a little interest before having to turn it over to Uncle Sam.
DaveAtLaw wrote:I also think I stuck out by telling the producer the exciting story of my near-death experience.
"Near-death experience, Gracie?" You must tell us more.

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:14 am

Welcome to the Bored, Dave, and congratulations! Those were some mighty obscure questions in the upper part of your stack.

I'm a little confused though. Did you know Megan before you met in the green room? If not, how could you have used our transcripts for PAF practice if she introduced you to the Bored? (That was an excellent example of Google PAFing--the practice paid off, however you managed it.)

A blue shirt was your lucky shirt? Some of us older auditioners will find that ironically amusing! :wink:

Rafferbee

#13 Post by Rafferbee » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:50 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:I'm a little confused though. Did you know Megan before you met in the green room? If not, how could you have used our transcripts for PAF practice if she introduced you to the Bored? (That was an excellent example of Google PAFing--the practice paid off, however you managed it.)
I met Dave in the Green Room on our first go-round. We had a week before we went back, and I e-mailed all the returners with the link to the Bored. I'm glad to see it helped!

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:54 am

Rafferty Barnes wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:I'm a little confused though. Did you know Megan before you met in the green room? If not, how could you have used our transcripts for PAF practice if she introduced you to the Bored? (That was an excellent example of Google PAFing--the practice paid off, however you managed it.)
I met Dave in the Green Room on our first go-round. We had a week before we went back, and I e-mailed all the returners with the link to the Bored. I'm glad to see it helped!
Ah! I understand now.

Too bad Venida wasn't one of those who carried over. You could have gotten her a BB PAF.

Rafferbee

#15 Post by Rafferbee » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:21 am

New York, NY
Law school tuition is seriously out of control. I have a friend who's paying $1,000 a month on her loans.

Spoiler

My Dad went to a buzkashi game when he was stationed in Afghanistan! Its the national sport there. Its like polo, but instead of a ball, they use a headless goat carcass.

Here he is (goat carcass not included).

MarleysGh0st

#16 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:27 am

Cool photo, Rafferty!

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#17 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:40 am

Rafferty Barnes wrote:
New York, NY
Law school tuition is seriously out of control. I have a friend who's paying $1,000 a month on her loans.

Spoiler

My Dad went to a buzkashi game when he was stationed in Afghanistan! Its the national sport there. Its like polo, but instead of a ball, they use a headless goat carcass.

I wonder if they've thought of using squirrels. Or maybe even squorrels.

Evel Squirrel
Merry Man

#18 Post by Evel Squirrel » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:44 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
Rafferty Barnes wrote:
New York, NY

Spoiler

Found it, even though I find this post reprehensible.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#19 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:51 am

Evel Squirrel wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
Rafferty Barnes wrote:

Sorry mr. evel. If you jump over to the cabinet thread you will find the finder of the found it. Don't break any bones.

Evel Squirrel
Merry Man

#20 Post by Evel Squirrel » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:01 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
Evel Squirrel wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:

Sorry mr. evel. If you jump over to the cabinet thread you will find the finder of the found it. Don't break any bones.
D'oh!

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#21 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:28 am

Evel Squirrel wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
Evel Squirrel wrote:
D'oh!

Is that john doh?

DaveAtLaw

#22 Post by DaveAtLaw » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:17 pm

I only auditioned once. It's long been a dream of mine to be on a game show. I auditioned for Jeopardy. I applied for Wheel. I was in a Price is Right audience.

It was incredibly exciting! I hope all of you get a chance to do it. I'll be cheering for you!

KillerTomato

#23 Post by KillerTomato » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:45 am

DaveAtLaw wrote:I only auditioned once.

Oh, that is NOT going to make you very many friends around these parts, Dave!!! :-)

Let's see: a hundred or so shots at the phone game (with ZERO Round 2 callbacks), and about a dozen or so auditions in 4 or 5 towns, including New York and Las Vegas...if I'd been saving all the :-( postcards Ive gotten in the mail, I'd have a nice collection.

But the saving grace in your post is that I got you beat in one area: I was on J! before you! Of course, you won more in 15 minutes on WWTBAM than I did in 60 minutes on J!, but we'll let that go...

Seriously, though, you were a lot of fun to watch (although as a movie buff, I was frustrated at seeing such a great question on "The Hours" go to someone other than me), and did very well. Congrats!
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

MarleysGh0st

#24 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:51 am

KillerTomato wrote:if I'd been saving all the :-( postcards Ive gotten in the mail, I'd have a nice collection.
You don't save your Sad Cards? :shock:

My collection would be bigger than it is, if TPTB hadn't sometimes decided to save on postage by making the unwanted suffer a long drawn-out death of hope on their mailbox stakeout.

ghostjmf

Re: Transcript 06/16/2009 Dave Johnston (DaveAtLaw)

#25 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:36 pm

Cut & paste is opening up the spoilers; something's wrong here.

Anyway, thank you transcribers; otherwise I'd miss this day & the next; system failure at home. I guess converter boxes have to be on continually if you don't want to lose your M-F timer settings. I should be glad I don't have to rescan for stations every day, I guess.

Dave Johnston
New York, NY

Topic Tree
Living Large
The Supreme Court
Starving Artists
Far-Out Food
Wild World of Sports
What to Wear
Movies in a Nutshell
Fruit
Higher Education
Shaping Up
The House Bunny
Going Stag
Song Titles
What's That?
Monumental Figures

[Reveal] Spoiler:

$200 (What's That?):

[Reveal] Spoiler:

$300 (Song Titles):

[Reveal] Spoiler:

$500 (Going Stag):

[Reveal] Spoiler:

$1000 (The House Bunny):

[Reveal] Spoiler:

$2000 (Shaping Up):
A. Triangle B. Pentagon
C. Rectangle D. Circle

[Reveal] Spoiler:

A. Washington B. Oregon
C. Montana D. Idaho

[Reveal] Spoiler: ATA
A-53% B-34% C-8% D-5%

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Commercial break

$8000 (Fruit):
A. Star fruit B. Kumquat

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I knew it & I have heard the word "arils" before too, maybe on a quiz show. I don't know if I could have come with "arils" for sure without help. We call 'em seeds.

[Reveal] Spoiler: ATE

[Reveal] Spoiler:

$25K (What to Wear):
A. Ricinium B. Chiton
C. Stola D. Strophium

[Reveal] Spoiler: PAF
Mom is his PAF

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I'd have been having someone google too here. Pretty sure it wasn't a chiton as I think that closely resembles a modern-day sundress. but otherwise very unsure.
Commercial Break

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I have read about this but am not sure that was its name. Having read about Afghans, could rule out the dog & monkey ideas. 50/50
$100K (Far-Out Food):

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Walk--$50,000

Well, I'd have ATE & ATA left, & would use them for the heck of it, but really do not know the answer & unless ATE was sure, wouldn't trust them.