Transcript 6/17/09: Martha Stewart (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 6/17/09: Martha Stewart (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:51 pm

Martha Stewart
Madison, CT
Full-Time Mom of 2

Martha has 2 kids: Dennis, who's in high school and didn't go to the taping because he felt that school was more important; and Megan, who is in the audience with Martha's husband, Glen. Glen reports that Martha is a very good cook, but when asked if she's handy as well, he replies, "She's a really good cook."

Megan made Martha a good-luck keychain (which Martha shows off) that says "Mom Rules."

Martha has all of her lifelines left, and she's going for $4,000. Her category tree:

In the Doghouse
Opening Night
The Periodic Table
Lush Lingo
Native Cultures
Poets
Wall-E
Saucy
(Personal Banking)
(Let's Go Dutch)
(Sports Legends)
(Pucker Up)
(Bird in the Brand)
(Child's Play)

Meredith introduces today's Expert, Ashleigh Banfield (from CourtTV), and says she's "been doing a great job all week."

$4,000 (Saucy): Characterized by its spiciness, which of these Italian pasta sauces has a name that literally translates to "Brother Devil"?
A. Fra Diavolo B. Bolognese
C. Alfredo D. Primavera
Spoiler
A. Fra Diavolo (16)
$8,000 (Wall-E): What is the name of the greedy corporation prominently featured in the animated movie "WALL-E"?
A. Tall-Mart B. Buy N Large
C. Monstrous, Inc. D. Gigan-Tech

Martha decides to ATA (21 seconds left on the clock). The results:
ATA Results
A. Tall-Mart - 31%
B. Buy N Large - 28%
C. Monstrous, Inc. - 10%
D. Gigan-Tech - 31%
The results being less-than-promising, Martha chooses to PAF (16). Standing by are (with no introduction from Meredith): M.P. (Madison, CT); Don (Madison, CT); and Laura (Peoria, IL). Martha says that "Laura has 3 young children, and I'm going to hope that she's seen this movie." After reading the question and answers, Laura says it's the one movie she didn't see with her kids, but asks for the answers again. Martha reads them again, leaving 1 second on the clock for Laura to say she's sorry, but...

Martha considers the question again, and decides to DD (6). Meredith explains that she's locked into answering, and if both are wrong she'll go back to $1,000. Laura's first answer,
Spoiler
D
is incorrect. Her second answer,
Spoiler
A
is also wrong, and Laura leaves with $1,000.
Spoiler
B. Buy N Large (3)

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 6/17/09: Martha Stewart (carryover)

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:01 pm

$8K: I didn't see this movie, so it's time to bring out some lifelines. My first one is ATA... but a virtual three-way tie for the lead does nothing for me. DD won't help when there are three answers to choose from. Ashleigh probably didn't see this film, as her kids aren't quite old enough for the theater. So it's gonna be PAF.

hbomb1947

#3 Post by hbomb1947 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:01 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000 (Wall-E): What is the name of the greedy corporation prominently featured in the animated movie "WALL-E"?

ATA Results
A. Tall-Mart - 31%
B. Buy N Large - 28%
C. Monstrous, Inc. - 10%
D. Gigan-Tech - 31%
The results being less-than-promising, Martha chooses to PAF (16). Standing by are (with no introduction from Meredith): M.P. (Madison, CT); Don (Madison, CT); and Laura (Peoria, IL). Martha says that "Laura has 3 young children, and I'm going to hope that she's seen this movie." After reading the question and answers, Laura says it's the one movie she didn't see with her kids, but asks for the answers again. Martha reads them again, leaving 1 second on the clock for Laura to say she's sorry, but...

Martha considers the question again, and decides to DD (6). Meredith explains that she's locked into answering, and if both are wrong she'll go back to $1,000. Laura's first answer,
Spoiler
D
Spoiler
A
Spoiler
B. Buy N Large (3)
What a ridiculously obscure question for the dollar level, as evidenced by the audience split. I saw Wall-E when it came out last summer, and had no recollection of this. This just isn't one of those movie details that remains in the national consciousness, and I have to wonder what the writers were thinking (other than "What can we do to give away less of Disney's money?").

With that said, the answer was, of course, easily googlable.

hbomb1947

#4 Post by hbomb1947 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:03 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:$8K: I didn't see this movie, so it's time to bring out some lifelines. My first one is ATA... but a virtual three-way tie for the lead does nothing for me. DD won't help when there are three answers to choose from. Ashleigh probably didn't see this film, as her kids aren't quite old enough for the theater. So it's gonna be PAF.
Plenty of adults, even those without kids, go to see Pixar films. With that said, given the ATA results, I would not have confidence that Ashleigh would remember this detail even if she had seen the movie.

gsabc

#5 Post by gsabc » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:32 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:What a ridiculously obscure question for the dollar level, as evidenced by the audience split. I saw Wall-E when it came out last summer, and had no recollection of this. This just isn't one of those movie details that remains in the national consciousness, and I have to wonder what the writers were thinking (other than "What can we do to give away less of Disney's money?").

I'm with whoever decided on the dollar value. I wouldn't have expected it to be that obscure or confusing, either. The name and logo was plastered all over the ship with the humans as well as on all the billboards there and even back on Earth amidst the trash.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

KillerTomato

#6 Post by KillerTomato » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:32 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000 (Wall-E): What is the name of the greedy corporation prominently featured in the animated movie "WALL-E"?

ATA Results
A. Tall-Mart - 31%
B. Buy N Large - 28%
C. Monstrous, Inc. - 10%
D. Gigan-Tech - 31%

Spoiler
D
Spoiler
A
Spoiler
B. Buy N Large (3)
What a ridiculously obscure question for the dollar level, as evidenced by the audience split. I saw Wall-E when it came out last summer, and had no recollection of this. This just isn't one of those movie details that remains in the national consciousness, and I have to wonder what the writers were thinking (other than "What can we do to give away less of Disney's money?").

Well, the movie did come out just a couple of months before this episode was taped, and probably around the time the DVD was released, so it was still "current" at the time.

Second, BnL was mentioned about 300 times in the movie, and signs were EVERYWHERE. It really should have been gettable. I can't judge for myself, since I'm a big movie fan, big Pixar fan, and have seen the movie several times....but FWIW, this was a slam-dunk for me.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

Rafferbee

#7 Post by Rafferbee » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:57 pm

Aww man, I was really hoping Martha would do well, especially after waiting in the Green Room on three separate occasions.

hanzz

#8 Post by hanzz » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:08 pm

KillerTomato wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:

ATA Results
A. Tall-Mart - 31%
B. Buy N Large - 28%
C. Monstrous, Inc. - 10%
D. Gigan-Tech - 31%

Spoiler
D
Spoiler
A
Spoiler
B. Buy N Large (3)

Well, the movie did come out just a couple of months before this episode was taped, and probably around the time the DVD was released, so it was still "current" at the time.

Second, BnL was mentioned about 300 times in the movie, and signs were EVERYWHERE. It really should have been gettable. I can't judge for myself, since I'm a big movie fan, big Pixar fan, and have seen the movie several times....but FWIW, this was a slam-dunk for me.
I have to agree. I'm probably in KillerTomato's camp in that I love movies and Pixar and I saw WALL-E about 8 times, but even after the first time, "B!N!L!" was stuck in my head. This question becomes infinitely harder, however, if you haven't seen the movie of course. However, for regular Millionaire, I think I would consider anything in the year's top 10 releases, as well as the winners of the major Academy Awards, as fair game.

ETA: In hindsight, I may have valued this question higher, say, for $25,000.
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:29 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Martha Stewart
Madison, CT
Full-Time Mom of 2

ATA Results
A. Tall-Mart - 31%
B. Buy N Large - 28%
C. Monstrous, Inc. - 10%
D. Gigan-Tech - 31%
No idea - I was leaning toward Gigan-Tech, but given the audience response it would be time to use a second lifeline.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:The results being less-than-promising, Martha chooses to PAF (16). Standing by are (with no introduction from Meredith): M.P. (Madison, CT); Don (Madison, CT); and Laura (Peoria, IL). Martha says that "Laura has 3 young children, and I'm going to hope that she's seen this movie." After reading the question and answers, Laura says it's the one movie she didn't see with her kids, but asks for the answers again. Martha reads them again, leaving 1 second on the clock for Laura to say she's sorry, but...

Spoiler
D
Spoiler
A
Spoiler
B. Buy N Large (3)
I'd PAF, but it would be someone with Google ready.

Give Martha credit for going for it.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:15 am

ATA Results
A. Tall-Mart - 31%
B. Buy N Large - 28%
C. Monstrous, Inc. - 10%
D. Gigan-Tech - 31%

Spoiler
D
Spoiler
A
Spoiler
B. Buy N Large (3)
Most movie questions fall into the "Either you've seen it or you haven't" category. I didn't think this question was about a particularly obscure point (others have already described how often it comes up in the move) but seeing the right answer in third place on the ATA was surprising. Did so many people really think they could have called it "Tall-Mart" without getting sued?

ghostjmf

#11 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:54 pm

8K: Have not seen movie, nor heard this discussed. ATA. But in my fiction-world, I get better results.