Transcript 6/17/09: Barbara Beckerman

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 6/17/09: Barbara Beckerman

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:52 pm

Barbara Beckerman
Massapequa Park, NY

The previous contestant's married name was "Martha Stewart," but Barbara's maiden name was "Barbara Walters". Meredith also points out that Barbara looks a lot like Bette Midler.

Barbara's category tree:

Patently False
Down Under
Presidential Pets
Search Engines
Mostly Cloudy
Riders on teh Storm
Namesakes
Hit the Road
Double Duty
'80s Flicks
Easter Treats
Initial Offering
Sequels
Well Said
Snack Attack

$100 (Snack Attack): Which of these popular snacks are animal-shaped?
A. Gummi Bears B. Cracker Jack
C. Ring Dings D. Frog Newtons
Spoiler
A. Gummi Bears (7)
$200 (Well Said): Suggesting that there is a perfect match for everyone, an old adage observes "There's a lid for every" what?
A. Bowl B. Pot
C. Vase D. Mug
Spoiler
B. Pot (10)
$300 (Sequels): "The Meltdown" is the apt subtitle of the sequel to what popular animated film?
A. Shrek B. The Incredibles
C. Shark Tale D. Ice Age
Spoiler
D. Ice Age (7)
$500 (Initial Offering): What former U.S. President's first two initials are "U" and "S"?
A. Grant B. Eisenhower
C. Johnson D. Harding
Spoiler
A. Grant (9)
$1,000 (Easter Treats): Which of these nursery rhymes is about a treat that is traditionally eaten around Easter?
A. Diddle diddle dumpling B. Pat-a-cake
C. Pease porridge D. Hot cross buns
Spoiler
D. Hot cross buns (6)
$2,000 ('80s Flicks): Which of these '80s films is best described as a "rags-to-riches" comedy?
A. Terms of Endearment B. Trading Places
C. Die Hard D. The Breakfast Club

Barbara says she's never seen it, but she knows the answer is:
Spoiler
B. Trading Places (16)
$4,000 (Double Duty): According to the Constitution, the U.S. vice president also serves as the what?
A. President of the Senate B. FBI Director
C. Secretary of State D. Federal Reserve Chairman

Barbara decides to DD (12). Her first answer is correct:
Spoiler
A. President of the Senate (12)
$8,000 (Hit the Road): The phrase "get out of Dodge" is commonly believed to refer to a city in what U.S. state?
A. Arizona B. Texas
C. Kansas D. Nebraska

Barbara thinks she knows, but it would be a guess, so she decides to ATE (15). Ashleigh says, "Wow, this is a tough one. Let me think this one through....Why would someone want to get out of Dodge? If it was hot, that would be Arizona or Texas....If there's a storm coming, that would be Kansas (she laughs)....Nebraska doesn't make a lot of news....I'm gonna, I'm gonna go here, and I hate to say this, but it's a real guess....I'm gonna go with Nebraska. But it's not a good guess."

Barbara hates to use two lifelines at once, but decides to PAF (11). Standing by are her friend, Paul (East Rockaway, NY); her husband, Jay (Massapequa Park, NY); and her friend, Peter (New York, NY). She chooses to call Peter. After Barbara reads the question and answers (18), Peter considers the question, and with 8 seconds left blurts out "Kansas!" There's still time for Barbara to ask if he's sure, and Peter to say he is.
Spoiler
C. Kansas (6)
COMMERCIAL BREAK

There is no additional banter.

$16,000 (Namesakes): Which of these classic novels was written by a man named after Ralph Waldo Emerson?
A. Heart of Darkness B. Invisible Man
C. An American Tragedy D. Tropic of Cancer
Spoiler
B. Invisible Man (15)
$25,000 (Riders on the Storm): The subject of Richard Wagner's famous classical composition "Ride of the Valkyries," a Valkyrie is a what?
A. French nobleman B. Greek nymph
C. Norse handmaiden D. Roman gladiator

Despite telling herself she wouldn't guess, Barbara guesses.
Spoiler
C. Norse handmaiden (8)
$50,000 (Mostly Cloudy): Because their patchy appearance can resemble fish scales, which of these clouds give rise to a condition known as "mackerel sky"?
A. Cumulonimbus B. Stratus
C. Cumulus D. Cirrocumulus

Barbara says there are two she can rule out. She decides to ATA (29):
ATA Results
A. Cumulonimbus - 10%
B. Stratus - 44%
C. Cumulus - 8%
D. Cirrocumulus - 38%
It's a free guess, so Barbara decides to go for it and makes
Spoiler
B
her final answer. She leaves with $25,000.
Spoiler
D, Cirrocumulus (7)

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: Transcript 6/17/09: Barbara Beckerman

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:04 pm

$16,000 (Namesakes): Which of these classic novels was written by a man named after Ralph Waldo Emerson?
A. Heart of Darkness B. Invisible Man
C. An American Tragedy D. Tropic of Cancer

Answer
[Obscure] Spoiler:
B. Invisible Man (15)

On this one, I would have blurted out, "Joseph Conrad, Ralph Ellison, BFinalAnswer!"
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#3 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:06 pm

If by some miracle I ever make the hotseat, I hope I get a stack just like this -- where I get to $100,000 with all my lifelines intact.

There was a stack the other day where I was outta lifelines before $25,000. :(
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:06 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Barbara Beckerman
Massapequa Park, NY
A Where Else®, I assume.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:The previous contestant's married name was "Martha Stewart," but Barbara's maiden name was "Barbara Walters".
A formerly Famous Name. Good enough hook to get her on the regular show.

$1K: I blanked out on this question. I would've asked this audience.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000 (Hit the Road): The phrase "get out of Dodge" is commonly believed to refer to a city in what U.S. state?
A. Arizona B. Texas
C. Kansas D. Nebraska

Barbara thinks she knows, but it would be a guess, so she decides to ATE (15).
Obviously, Barbara didn't paid attention in the green room. Ashleigh just recently became a U.S. citizen. The chances of her knowing where Dodge City is are slim to none.

I'm going for $100,000 with three lifelines.

KillerTomato

#5 Post by KillerTomato » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:33 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:A Where Else®, I assume.

Oh, yeah. It's out on Long Island.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

ghostjmf

#6 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:59 pm

50K:

I'd PAF. I stink at matching clouds, which I've seen, with their (stupid!; just my opinion, folks) names.