Transcript 06/22/09 Connie Moore

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 06/22/09 Connie Moore

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:36 pm

Connie Moore
Levittown, NY
Homemaker

Topic Tree:

On the House
Viral Video
Wish Me Luck
Ishtar
Celebrated Composers
Memoirs
The Shape of Things
Billionaires
Totally Nutty
Google Images
A Healthy Democracy
Vitamins
Frozen Food
Fashion Statements
No Such Thing

$100 Meaning “everything has its cost,” a common saying warns, “There’s no such thing as a free” what?
A. Car
B. Lunch
C. Necktie
D. Nintendo Wii
Spoiler
B. Lunch ( 8 )
$200 A neckerchief is usually worn on the same part of the body as which of these other fashion items?
A. Glove
B. Shoe
C. Belt
D. Scarf
Spoiler
D. Scarf (9)
$300 Which of these consumer products titans is known as the “father of frozen food”?
A. H.J. Heinz
B. Oscar Mayer
C. Clarence Birdseye
D. Henri Nestlé
Spoiler
C. Clarence Birdseye (7)
$500 Because ultraviolet rays prompt the body to produce it, Vitamin D is commonly referred to by what nickname?
A. Sunshine vitamin
B. Citrus vitamin
C. Water vitamin
D. Vegetable vitamin

ATA (9)

91% A. Sunshine vitamin
5% B. Citrus vitamin
0% C. Water vitamin
4% D. Vegetable vitamin

Spoiler
A. Sunshine vitamin (5)
$1K Thanks to the medical initiative Vote & Vax, election day voters can cast their ballots and also obtain what?
A. Vision tests
B. Teeth cleanings
C. Flu shots
D. Bone density scans

Connie asks to use the ATE.
Meredith tells her she hasn’t earned that lifeline yet.
Connie gives her final answer.

Spoiler
C. Flu shots (3)
commercial break

$2K On February 29, 2008, Google incorporated which of these apt images into its home page’s logo?
A. A yawning lion
B. A barking dog
C. A leaping frog
D. A singing bird

ATE (21)

Carmen: I would probably say, going with the fact that that’s a leap year day, the only thing I can think is, of course, is C. A leaping frog.
Connie: But I think you’re brilliant.

Spoiler
C. A leaping frog (16)
$4K By definition, which of these classic French recipes contains nuts?
A. Pot-au-feu
B. Ratatouille
C. Coq au vin
D. Trout amandine
Spoiler
D. Trout amandine (24)
$8K In a nod to his hometown, the press has widely dubbed billionaire investor Warren Buffett “the Oracle of” what?
A. Omaha
B. Oakland
C. Oshkosh
D. Orlando

PAF (23)

Connie’s PAF team:

Irene from Levittown, NY
Bob from Eden Prairie, MN
Joseph from Old Westbury, NY

PAF – Joseph

Connie reads the question and choices.
Joseph asks her to repeat the first part.
Connie rephrases the question and gives the choices again.
While giving the choices, time expires.

Connie decides to walk with $4K.

Spoiler
A. Omaha (10)
horn

Answers:
$100 B. Lunch
$200 D. Scarf
$300 C. Clarence Birdseye
$500 A. Sunshine vitamin
$1K C. Flu shots
$2K C. A leaping frog
$4K D. Trout amandine
$8K A. Omaha

heelsrule1988

Re: Transcript 06/22/09 Connie Moore

#2 Post by heelsrule1988 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:11 pm

Oy. :?

hbomb1947

#3 Post by hbomb1947 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:19 pm

Nice job, AP Rich.

hanzz

#4 Post by hanzz » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:10 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:Nice job, AP Rich.
Actually, isn't it just P Rich?
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

takinover

#5 Post by takinover » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:45 am

hbomb1947 wrote:Nice job, AP Rich.
The WWTBAM bean counters agree.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#6 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:06 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Connie Moore
Levittown, NY
Homemaker

Topic Tree:

On the House
Viral Video
Wish Me Luck
Ishtar
Celebrated Composers
Memoirs
The Shape of Things
Billionaires
Totally Nutty
Google Images
A Healthy Democracy
Vitamins
Frozen Food
Fashion Statements
No Such Thing

$100 Meaning “everything has its cost,” a common saying warns, “There’s no such thing as a free” what?
A. Car
B. Lunch
C. Necktie
D. Nintendo Wii
Spoiler
B. Lunch ( 8 )
$200 A neckerchief is usually worn on the same part of the body as which of these other fashion items?
A. Glove
B. Shoe
C. Belt
D. Scarf
Spoiler
D. Scarf (9)
$300 Which of these consumer products titans is known as the “father of frozen food”?
A. H.J. Heinz
B. Oscar Mayer
C. Clarence Birdseye
D. Henri Nestlé
Spoiler
C. Clarence Birdseye (7)
$500 Because ultraviolet rays prompt the body to produce it, Vitamin D is commonly referred to by what nickname?
A. Sunshine vitamin
B. Citrus vitamin
C. Water vitamin
D. Vegetable vitamin

ATA (9)

91% A. Sunshine vitamin
5% B. Citrus vitamin
0% C. Water vitamin
4% D. Vegetable vitamin

Spoiler
A. Sunshine vitamin (5)
$1K Thanks to the medical initiative Vote & Vax, election day voters can cast their ballots and also obtain what?
A. Vision tests
B. Teeth cleanings
C. Flu shots
D. Bone density scans

Connie asks to use the ATE.
Meredith tells her she hasn’t earned that lifeline yet.
Connie gives her final answer.

Spoiler
C. Flu shots (3)
commercial break

$2K On February 29, 2008, Google incorporated which of these apt images into its home page’s logo?
A. A yawning lion
B. A barking dog
C. A leaping frog
D. A singing bird

ATE (21)

Carmen: I would probably say, going with the fact that that’s a leap year day, the only thing I can think is, of course, is C. A leaping frog.
Connie: But I think you’re brilliant.

Spoiler
C. A leaping frog (16)
$4K By definition, which of these classic French recipes contains nuts?
A. Pot-au-feu
B. Ratatouille
C. Coq au vin
D. Trout amandine
Spoiler
D. Trout amandine (24)
$8K In a nod to his hometown, the press has widely dubbed billionaire investor Warren Buffett “the Oracle of” what?
A. Omaha
B. Oakland
C. Oshkosh
D. Orlando

PAF (23)

Connie’s PAF team:

Irene from Levittown, NY
Bob from Eden Prairie, MN
Joseph from Old Westbury, NY

PAF – Joseph

Connie reads the question and choices.
Joseph asks her to repeat the first part.
Connie rephrases the question and gives the choices again.
While giving the choices, time expires.

Connie decides to walk with $4K.

Spoiler
A. Omaha (10)
horn

Answers:
$100 B. Lunch
$200 D. Scarf
$300 C. Clarence Birdseye
$500 A. Sunshine vitamin
$1K C. Flu shots
$2K C. A leaping frog
$4K D. Trout amandine
$8K A. Omaha

Frank, why weren't you one of her PAFs?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

NellyLunatic1980

#7 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:09 am

Levittown, NY
Homemaker
WE®

God, I wish MBFFB® were here to tell us what a dumbass this contestant was. No wonder Marley and I get so pissed when we get :( cards.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:31 am

Levittown, NY
Homemaker
A WE®.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100 Meaning “everything has its cost,” a common saying warns, “There’s no such thing as a free” what?
A. Car
B. Lunch
C. Necktie
D. Nintendo Wii
Spoiler
B. Lunch ( 8 )
Shout out to tanstaafl!!

This woman was obviously bothered by the clock and it cost her in the end.

Nihil obstat®.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:30 am

earendel wrote:
Levittown, NY
Homemaker
A WE®.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100 Meaning “everything has its cost,” a common saying warns, “There’s no such thing as a free” what?
A. Car
B. Lunch
C. Necktie
D. Nintendo Wii
Spoiler
B. Lunch ( 8 )
Shout out to tanstaafl!!

This woman was obviously bothered by the clock and it cost her in the end.

Nihil obstat®.
No, she was just plain bothered.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

franktangredi

#10 Post by franktangredi » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:42 am

ulysses5019 wrote:Frank, why weren't you one of her PAFs?
Connie did ask me to be one of her PAFs, but unfortunately, I just wasn't available that day. She's a very dear lady, and I wish she'd been able to go further.

franktangredi

#11 Post by franktangredi » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:47 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:God, I wish MBFFB® were here to tell us what a dumbass this contestant was. No wonder Marley and I get so pissed when we get :( cards.
As I posted Sunday, here was the message my good friend Connie -- who is emphatically not a dumbass -- sent to her friends about her appearance:
"Please be kind when you watch, knowing that the timer can be very intimidating and make even the easiest question seem tricky. All I know is that I needed to make $4000 to cover my cat's surgery."

I have no idea what kind of contestant you would make -- and, frankly, neither do you. But I only hope you are as nice a person in real life as Connie Moore.

NellyLunatic1980

#12 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:06 am

franktangredi wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:God, I wish MBFFB® were here to tell us what a dumbass this contestant was. No wonder Marley and I get so pissed when we get :( cards.
As I posted Sunday, here was the message my good friend Connie -- who is emphatically not a dumbass -- sent to her friends about her appearance:
"Please be kind when you watch, knowing that the timer can be very intimidating and make even the easiest question seem tricky. All I know is that I needed to make $4000 to cover my cat's surgery."

I have no idea what kind of contestant you would make -- and, frankly, neither do you. But I only hope you are as nice a person in real life as Connie Moore.
Obviously, I missed your post about that.

peacock2121

#13 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:09 am

franktangredi wrote:

I hope she can hold the experience as a win for her. I hope her friends and family rally around her and point out the positives.

It was painful to watch. My heart was breaking for her.

gsabc

#14 Post by gsabc » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:41 am

Not that I'm advocating it (no channelling of Kazoo), but being overly flustered by the clock is a good argument for an online test as with J! There's no good way to determine if it will be a problem by current audition methods.

It doesn't seem to be common enough, though, to warrant the change. Most contestants seem to handle the time issue reasonably well, even when it forces premature LL use. Connie just got overwhelmed, it seems.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#15 Post by frogman042 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:07 am

What I found interesting was when she asked for the ATE lifeline on the 1K question - but hadn't earned it yet - Meredith had to explain that it was not available - using up a lot of time. She, without any hesitation, picked the correct one - which indicates to me that she knew the answers to the questions but was too nervous about dropping to either nothing or 1K (for the latter questions). Also, if she asked for the just a few seconds later, time might have run out when Meredith was explaining why that was not available - which would have forced her to walk at $500. Given the length of the explanation, the clock and the limited time for the first tier of questions, it could have been a real disaster.

Given Frank's comment about needing to get to 4K, I could see how that might have influenced her to use lifelines prematurely, just so that she didn't make any stupid mistakes. My guess is that she knew all the answers to both the ATA and ATE lifelines.

hbomb1947

#16 Post by hbomb1947 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:36 am

frogman042 wrote:What I found interesting was when she asked for the ATE lifeline on the 1K question - but hadn't earned it yet - Meredith had to explain that it was not available - using up a lot of time. She, without any hesitation, picked the correct one - which indicates to me that she knew the answers to the questions but was too nervous about dropping to either nothing or 1K (for the latter questions). Also, if she asked for the just a few seconds later, time might have run out when Meredith was explaining why that was not available - which would have forced her to walk at $500. Given the length of the explanation, the clock and the limited time for the first tier of questions, it could have been a real disaster.

Given Frank's comment about needing to get to 4K, I could see how that might have influenced her to use lifelines prematurely, just so that she didn't make any stupid mistakes. My guess is that she knew all the answers to both the ATA and ATE lifelines.
To be blunt, this is a good argument against the unfortunate trend of the AP's choosing contestants based on "need." I don't doubt that Connie is a nice person, but many other nice people have received :( cards. And to the extent that she felt "overwhelmed," I thought that one of the principal purposes of auditions was to weed out contestants who wouldn't be able to handle the pressure (including time pressure). If TPTB are going to use auditions, and especially if they are going to retain TDC (and I have never been a fan of TDC, by the way), then I agree with gsabc that they ought to devise a method to better test for holding up under time pressure.

Weyoun

#17 Post by Weyoun » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:44 am

Anything can happen. Yesterday, I used the wrong polymerase for a reaction. I'd done it right a dozen times. I just goofed.

Weyoun

#18 Post by Weyoun » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:47 am

frogman042 wrote:What I found interesting was when she asked for the ATE lifeline on the 1K question - but hadn't earned it yet - Meredith had to explain that it was not available - using up a lot of time. She, without any hesitation, picked the correct one - which indicates to me that she knew the answers to the questions but was too nervous about dropping to either nothing or 1K (for the latter questions). Also, if she asked for the just a few seconds later, time might have run out when Meredith was explaining why that was not available - which would have forced her to walk at $500. Given the length of the explanation, the clock and the limited time for the first tier of questions, it could have been a real disaster.

Yeah, cautious to a fault.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#19 Post by frogman042 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:16 am

hbomb1947 wrote:

To be blunt, this is a good argument against the unfortunate trend of the AP's choosing contestants based on "need." I don't doubt that Connie is a nice person, but many other nice people have received :( cards. And to the extent that she felt "overwhelmed," I thought that one of the principal purposes of auditions was to weed out contestants who wouldn't be able to handle the pressure (including time pressure). If TPTB are going to use auditions, and especially if they are going to retain TDC (and I have never been a fan of TDC, by the way), then I agree with gsabc that they ought to devise a method to better test for holding up under time pressure.
I don't think we can conclude she was picked out of need. I thought it was Frank that pointed out that she needed the 4K - the show might not have even been aware of this need or not.

I've offered some guesses as to what I think might be some of the criteria as to what they use to determine the happy card, but they are strictly guesses. Also, don't discount the numbers game aspect of it, pure statistics based on the number of people who pass the test and the number of people who appear in a season, still leave the odds as probably in the high hundreds to one if not thousands to one.

I still think the potential pool of people who would make good contestants is still very large compared to the number of openings.

Finally, I don't know Connie, Frank does, but it is hard to say how she came accross during the interview/screening process. I know that I don't think they could easly determine if I was a risk taker or overly cautious - they might have taken an educated guess and maybe that doesn't figure into their selection process at all.

Jeemie

#20 Post by Jeemie » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:32 am

I know all about the pressures of a clock.

I'm susceptible to it.

It affected me during my one and only time in the Hot Seat at MGM's Play-It.

At home, it looks like there's plenty of time on the clock...but in the chair, it seems to go by in the blink of an eye.
1979 City of Champions 2009

hbomb1947

#21 Post by hbomb1947 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:48 am

frogman042 wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:

I don't think we can conclude she was picked out of need. I thought it was Frank that pointed out that she needed the 4K - the show might not have even been aware of this need or not.
No, we don't know whether it was a factor in her selection specifically; but this experience underscores one reason why it's a bad idea for TPTB to be consciously selecting some contestants on that basis.
Finally, I don't know Connie, Frank does, but it is hard to say how she came accross during the interview/screening process. I know that I don't think they could easly determine if I was a risk taker or overly cautious - they might have taken an educated guess and maybe that doesn't figure into their selection process at all.
This isn't really about her risk aversion; it's more about how she seemed overwhelmed by the whole experience, including but not limited to TDC; and response to pressure is something that one would hope the AP's would be able to evaluate.

hanzz

#22 Post by hanzz » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:23 pm

Yeah, and honestly, it's all about what you know and what you don't. She knew right off the bat the one question from this stack that I didn't. Them's the bricks.

15QuestionsAway

#23 Post by 15QuestionsAway » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:33 pm

I was at these tapings, which were the last ones of the season. The explanation you saw on the air was done in a pickup after the show completed taping.

Although it looked smooth when the show aired, Meredith actually made a mistake and tried to go to the expert. Taping stopped immediately, because the producers realized the error. TPTB took some time to consider their options.

Rather than tossing out the question, TPTB decided to restart the clock since it was production's fault. Remember that because of the topic tree, it's a much more difficult exercise to substitute a question than in seasons past.

Connie had a chance to compose herself during the stoppage, and of course figured out the correct answer. I think Connie might have timed out if Meredith realized right away Connie couldn't use ask the expert. She probably would have at least burned another lifeline.
Shameless self promotion:
wwtbam.biz - giving WWTBAM the business (returning soon!)

hanzz

#24 Post by hanzz » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:38 pm

15QuestionsAway wrote:

I was at these tapings, which were the last ones of the season. The explanation you saw on the air was done in a pickup after the show completed taping.

Although it looked smooth when the show aired, Meredith actually made a mistake and tried to go to the expert. Taping stopped immediately, because the producers realized the error. TPTB took some time to consider their options.

Rather than tossing out the question, TPTB decided to restart the clock since it was production's fault. Remember that because of the topic tree, it's a much more difficult exercise to substitute a question than in seasons past.

Connie had a chance to compose herself during the stoppage, and of course figured out the correct answer. I think Connie might have timed out if Meredith realized right away Connie couldn't use ask the expert. She probably would have at least burned another lifeline.
Veeerrrry interesting. I also find that interesting that the producer's feel "locked" in because of the topic tree. Since Meredith doesn't announce each topic when they are first introduced, you would think they'd be able to go in and switch out one of the categories in post production and the home audience would be none the wiser. But then, I guess, you might potentially have the argument arise of her anticipating a question on Elections and instead receiving a question on, say, geography, which might have screwed up her thinking process and all these ramifications.

MarleysGh0st

#25 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:39 pm

Ahhh. Interesting behind-the-scenes detail, 15QA! Thanks for that.

So we've added one more potential lifeline into our arsenal: force Meredith into a mistake! I wonder how many times it would take until she caught on to that one? :mrgreen: