Transcript 12/11/2007 Bob Gerris (carryover contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 12/11/2007 Bob Gerris (carryover contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:33 pm

Bob Gerris
Harrison, NJ
Fire fighter

Wearing a Hawai'i shirt since he hopes to retire soon and HI would be a nice place to retire to
His daughter Lisa gave the shirt to him as a Father's day gift. He also has a 11-year-old son Danny (in the audience, so much for 18 and over)
His daughter says he was on Jeopardy and Meredith calls him a traitor. He mollifies the situation by saying Mere is easier on the eyes than Alex.

ATA was used yesterday

$4000- During the Great Depression, an empty pocket turned inside-out became known as a what?
A. Harding kerchief B. Coolidge blanket
C. Hoover flag D. Roosevelt cape

$8000- In his classic song, "(Sittin' On) the Dock of the Bay," Otis Redding makes reference to what city's bay?
A. Boston B. San Francisco
C. Miami D. San Diego

$16,000
Which of these combinations of standard coin rolls is worth the most money?
A. Forty rolls of pennies B. Ten rolls of nickels
C. Five rolls of dimes D. Two rolls of quarters

(Answers quickly on-air, editing was possible)

$25,000
By definition, a chinook is a warm, dry wind that blows down the eastern slopes of what mountain range?
A. Himalayas B. Appalachians
C. Andes D. Rockies

$50,000
Which of these real-life names often appears in the dictionary meaning "free ticket"?
A. Susan B. Anthony B. Annie Oakley
C. Clara Barton D. Betsy Ross

Commercial break

Meredith points out that Bob has been calmly answering questions and is looking for emotion from him.
Bob has been a fireman for 27 years and thinks of retiring all the time.

$100,000
Although he can run again later, what U.S. state's governor is prohibited from serving two terms of office in a row?
A. Virginia B. New Hampshire
C. Idaho D. Nebraska

Says "It could be any of them" but takes 50/50

50/50 left A and D

Asks for STQ (this does not bring the 50/50 back) Guesses correctly before answer is revealed.

STQ $100K-
Albert Einstein was awarded the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics 'especially for his discovery of the law of' what?
A. Cosmic radiation B. The photoelectric effect
C. The antiproton D. Atomic nuclei

PAF cousin Brian does not select an answer. Bob keeps talking after the time is up and Meredith tells him time was up. Bob says wow that goes quick.

Bob walks with $50,000.

Answers
$4000- C. Hoover flag
$8000- B. San Francisco
$16K- C. Five rolls of dimes
$25K- D. Rockies
$50K- B. Annie Oakley
$100K- A. Virginia
STQ $100K- B. The photoelectric effect

tanstaafl2

#2 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:26 pm

16K was a tough one. Haven't handled a roll of any coins in years.

Also the free ticket connection was an interesting new trivial tidbit for me.

Probably never would have gotten there but the 100K STQ was a gimmie for me. But then they often over value science Q's.

Of course the first 100K was a real WGAS question (which seems a pretty common tactic to try to burn up the STQ quickly). Not sure many residents of the state would know...
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#3 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:57 pm

Emma did a report on Einstein in 5th grade, so the answer for 100K was easy.

I have never heard of an Annie Oakley being a free ticket.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:49 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:Of course the first 100K was a real WGAS question (which seems a pretty common tactic to try to burn up the STQ quickly).
Not for political junkies. The Governor of Virginia is frequently a fairly influential player on the national scene. Think Douglas Wilder, for instance. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 12/11/2007 Bob Gerris (carryover contestant)

#5 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:53 am

$25K: I can eliminate A and B, but I need the PAF.

$50K: 50:50 just to make sure.

$100K: Knew this one before the choices came up. This was why the popular governor (and soon to be U.S. senator) Mark Warner didn't run for a second term in 2005.

$100K #2: Never would've seen this question, but I did get this one right.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:27 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Bob Gerris
Harrison, NJ
Fire fighter
I thought using the ATA on his previous show would be a detriment, but Bob hung in there quite well.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000- In his classic song, "(Sittin' On) the Dock of the Bay," Otis Redding makes reference to what city's bay?
A. Boston B. San Francisco
C. Miami D. San Diego
Is it because I'm so old that I think of this as a highly overvalued question?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000
Which of these combinations of standard coin rolls is worth the most money?
A. Forty rolls of pennies B. Ten rolls of nickels
C. Five rolls of dimes D. Two rolls of quarters

(Answers quickly on-air, editing was possible)
Quite likely. Doing the math: 40 rolls of pennies at $0.50 per roll gives us $20. Ten rolls of nickels at $2 per roll is also $20.00. Five rolls of dimes at $5 per roll is $25.00, and two rolls of quarters at $10 is $20.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000
By definition, a chinook is a warm, dry wind that blows down the eastern slopes of what mountain range?
C. Andes D. Rockies
Bob commented that he knew it was in America because of the Chinook helicopter. But that would only have eliminated A and C. My approach was to think of chinook salmon, which points to the west coast.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000
Which of these real-life names often appears in the dictionary meaning "free ticket"?
A. Susan B. Anthony B. Annie Oakley
C. Clara Barton D. Betsy Ross
When I read the answers, I immediately chose "B", but have no idea how I would have known that. In the HS I would probably have used a lifeline - probably ATA since it's the least useful at high dollar levels.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000
Although he can run again later, what U.S. state's governor is prohibited from serving two terms of office in a row?
A. Virginia B. New Hampshire
C. Idaho D. Nebraska

Says "It could be any of them" but takes 50/50

50/50 left A and D
Those are the two I predicted would be left. I believe we discussed this here - possibly mini or VADame or another of our Virginia contingent mentioned it.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:STQ $100K-
Albert Einstein was awarded the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics 'especially for his discovery of the law of' what?
A. Cosmic radiation B. The photoelectric effect
C. The antiproton D. Atomic nuclei
A dream question for me.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:PAF cousin Brian does not select an answer. Bob keeps talking after the time is up and Meredith tells him time was up. Bob says wow that goes quick.
A pity - this would be a very easy Google for a prepared PAF.

Bob did well. After it was over elwing looked over at me and asked, "Why couldn't you have had a stack like that?"
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:31 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Emma did a report on Einstein in 5th grade, so the answer for 100K was easy.

I have never heard of an Annie Oakley being a free ticket.
Evidently it's circus lingo. According to one source, a free ticket is called an "Annie Oakley" because

...the hole customarily punched in such a free pass recalled the bullet holes that Oakley, a wild-west-show sharpshooter, fired into small cards in her performances.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:07 am

I would have loved either of the $100K Qs instead of the one I got.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:47 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:He also has a 11-year-old son Danny (in the audience, so much for 18 and over)
Once again, I applaud TPTB for bending their rules and I hope that all contestants are made aware of this new possibility.

Danny was obviously very excited to be watching his dad in action--and just as excited to see himself on TV. One time they did a quick cut from showing the family to Bob and back to the family again, and you could see Danny's "Whoa!" reaction to appearing again on the big screen. :D

tanstaafl2

#10 Post by tanstaafl2 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:19 pm

earendel wrote:
C. Andes D. Rockies
Bob commented that he knew it was in America because of the Chinook helicopter. But that would only have eliminated A and C. My approach was to think of chinook salmon, which points to the west coast.
Like most if not all Army helicopters the CH-47 Chinook was named for the Indian tribe, just as the wind was. In this case the Chinooks are/were located in the Pacific Northwest which would have further narrowed the choices to one if one had known that. Knowing the salmon also helped make it easier of course!
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:22 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:
earendel wrote:
C. Andes D. Rockies
Like most if not all Army helicopters the CH-47 Chinook was named for the Indian tribe, just as the wind was. In this case the Chinooks are/were located in the Pacific Northwest which would have further narrowed the choices to one if one had known that. Knowing the salmon also helped make it easier of course!
I think Bob did mention the salmon during this deliberation, too!

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#12 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:23 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:
Actually, it was much, much easier simply to grow up in the Rockies and know that if the wind started blowing down from Canada, the temperature could rise 40 degrees in the next hour.

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:25 pm

silvercamaro wrote: Actually, it was much, much easier simply to grow up in the Rockies and know that if the wind started blowing down from Canada, the temperature could rise 40 degrees in the next hour.
And how is reasoning like that supposed to help their typical Where Else contestant? :P

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#14 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:32 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
silvercamaro wrote: Actually, it was much, much easier simply to grow up in the Rockies and know that if the wind started blowing down from Canada, the temperature could rise 40 degrees in the next hour.
And how is reasoning like that supposed to help their typical Where Else contestant? :P
I didn't say it was helpful. I said it was easier.

:mrgreen:

ghostjmf

#15 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:14 pm

16K: I frequently roll pennies. Well, put them in a penny-roll, that is. You know. So I know this is $0.50/roll. I also occasionally put nickels in a nickel-roll, so know its $2.00/roll.

The other 2 I just dunno. How many go in a roll. I'm trying to picture 2 rolls of quarters & see if this beats the $20.00 worth of pennies or nickels in the Q. Don't think so. I've lost it on the dimes, though. Darn it, they've eliminated 2 choices right away by making them equal!

so 50/50 & hope.

50K: Only Annie makes sense, but I've never seen this. Wish I still had 50/50. ATA.

100K: Not NH. But otherwise I'm hopeless; STQ here.

STQ 100K: This, I knew.

I haven't lately been able to do the play-along on board that Bixby & all the "league of pretending to be nicer than we who play" club disdain & disparage only because work has been such hell (& the office environment is going down the tubes fast fast fast; I missed a meeting yesterday where I would have gotten to hear people who don't even nearly have it as bad as me bitch, & I needed to hear them, darn it). I wanna play along. I love to play along. I am just worn out & have no time at all.

But this guy: I have to say he cheered me up considerably. I really wish he'd made it to the top; for a while it looked like there were no obstructions at all.

Hearing him tell Meredith (& via her, those APs) that "panic is contagious" & firemen are just not supposed to indulge in it was worth the world to me.

Hearing his kids say "he's doing better here than on Jeopardy!" was almost as good. Somehow (I think someone mentioned this in the 12/10/07 play-along) I bet he failed to mention this to the APs.

Bet they booked him as "big, burly fireman guy in a Hawaiian shirt" & figured he'd be good for joshing. Which he did indulge in, between the questions. Which is where it belongs.

Way to go. A very class act.

Of course, the next contestant came out shrieking & throwing her arms around Meredith, I think I remember. An AP goose I'd bet. They felt there better be a little histrionics, or they could hear histrionic fans clicking off all over America. Or whatever.

MarleysGh0st

#16 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:36 am

ghostjmf wrote: Hearing him tell Meredith (& via her, those APs) that "panic is contagious" & firemen are just not supposed to indulge in it was worth the world to me.
Good observation, ghost. He demonstrated how it's better to play the game calmly, without all the wild demonstrations of emotion.
ghostjmf wrote: Hearing his kids say "he's doing better here than on Jeopardy!" was almost as good. Somehow (I think someone mentioned this in the 12/10/07 play-along) I bet he failed to mention this to the APs.
Well, there's a spot on the application form to list previous game show appearances and I presume he wouldn't have risked his WWTBAM winning by failing to disclose that, Mere's joking accusation of "traitor" notwithstanding. And since his appearance on J! came first, wouldn't that make him a traitor to Alex and not to Meredith?

BTW, his appearance was mentioned on the J! board and nobody there has been able to say when his J! appearance was, either.

I'm sorry your job situation is crappy, ghost.