Transcript 06/23/09 - Vito Mazza

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 06/23/09 - Vito Mazza

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:29 pm

Vito Mazza
Jersey City, NJ

Vito is a bartender and restaurant manager who finds himself out of work and happy to be in the Hot Seat. Vito's dream is to open a restaurant of his own, maybe a piano bar or a little Italian bistro.

Vito's dad, also named Vito (the contestant is actually Vito IV) is in the audience.

Question Topics:
* We the People
* Corridors of Power
* Holla!
* Commmon Names
* The Good King
* Olympic Events
* Good Golly Miss Molly
* High School Musical
* La-La Land
* South of the Border
* Left of Center
* Lend an Ear
* No Pulp
* Sloshed
* Famous Dudes

$100 * Famous Dudes
Among other things, Bill Gates is well-known for being a what?

A: Poet B: Billionaire
C: Congressman D: Maniac on the dance floor
Answer
B: Billionaire ( 8 )
$200 * Sloshed
Which of these classic Neil Diamond songs is about a man getting drunk to forget his troubles?

A: Forever in Blue Jeans B: I Am...I Said
C: Red. Red Wine D: America
Answer
C: Red. Red Wine ( 7 )
$300 * No Pulp
Which of these kitchen tools would most likely feature a removable pulp strainer?

A: Juicer B: Deep fryer
C: Can opener D: Toaster
Answer
A: Juicer ( 9 )
$500 * Lend an Ear
The famous Shakespearean quote "Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears" roughly translates to which of the following?

A: So long! B: Listen up!
C: Follow me! D: I can't believe it!
Answer
B: Listen up! ( 8 )
$1,000 * Left of Center
A reference to the position of numbers on the clock, what "time" might be used to point out something straight ahead and slightly to the left?

A: Three o'clock B: Five o'clock
C: Seven o'clock D: Eleven o'clock
Answer
D: Eleven o'clock ( 9 )
Vito has now earned his Ask The Expert lifeline, with today's expert, the host of CNBC's "On The Money", Carmen Wong Ulrich.

$2,000 * South of the Border
Which of these names for a Mexican dish is also the Spanish name for a musical instrument?

A: Enchilada B: Flauta
C: Chimicanga D: Quesadilla
Answer
B: Flauta ( 22 )
-- Commercial Break --

Vito is a true hero. He came upon the scene of an accident and crawled into the an upturned car to help someone stay alive. Vito was an EMT and then a volunteer fireman, as well.

Vito's dad says he gets his brains from his mother.

$4,000 * La-La Land
In Los Angeles in 1927, Sid Grauman opened a now-famous what?

A: Museum B: Restaurant
C: Movie theater D: Hotel

With 21 seconds left, Vito decides to Ask The Audience.

ATA: A: 3% B: 20% C: 67% D: 10%
Answer
C: Movie theater ( 18 )
$8,000 * High School Musical
In the wildly popular "High School Musical" movies, Zac Efron's character is captain of what sports team at the high school?

A: Soccer B: Basketball
C: Hockey D: Football

Vito hasn't seen any of these movies. With 8 seconds left, he decides to Phone A Friend.

Vito's PAF team are his sister Marissa, Leonia, NJ; his friend Charlie, New York, NY; and his uncle Mark, Jersey City, NJ. Vito calls his sister. He reads the question and Marissa answers before he can read the choices.

Marissa: Basketball.

Vito: What is it?

Marissa: He's the captain of the basketball team.

Vito: You're the best!

Marissa: I love you!

Vito: I love you, too!

Answer
B: Basketball ( 6 )
-- Commercial Break --

Marissa is Vito's baby sister, eight years younger. She's going for a Masters degree in Special Education (Vito has to pause to remember this) and he'd like to help her out with the cost of that. If he wins the $1 million, he'll pay off mom and dad's mortgage and buy dad a Cadillac.

$16,000 * Good Golly Miss Molly
The historical figure "Molly Pitcher" got her nickname because she brought water to soldiers on the battlefield during what war?

A: U.S. Civil War B: War of 1812
C: French and Indian War D: American Revolution
Answer
D: American Revolution ( 15 )
$25,000 * Olympic Events
Which of these Olympic events would most likely be performed by a toxophilite?

A: Archery B: Weightlifting
C: Handball D: Diving

With 18 seconds left, Vito decides to Ask The Expert. Carmen tells Meredith she does know her Olympic events.

Carmen: Oh, gosh, I'm going back to my college Latin on this one. Toxo-, toxo-, Latin root of--what? Professor is yelling in my ear, I'm sure. Ummm, I think I could narrow it down.

Vito: Okay. What are you going with?

Carmen: To--I don't think it's C. I don't think it is A, either. I'm leaning mostly towards D, but--

Meredith: Why?

Carmen: I don't know! I just--you know, sometime I gotta go with my gut on these, Meredith, you know?

Meredith: Yeah.

Carmen: But I'm not completely sure, Vito, and I apologize, because I'd love to get this one for you.

Vito: Well, I appreciate that.

Vito is not sure. He's leaning towards B, but he doesn't want to risk it or risk the double dip. He walks away with $16,000.

Answer
A: Archery ( 0 )
-- Commercial Break --

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Transcript 06/23/09 - Vito Mazza

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:54 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 * Olympic Events

Answer
I got this one thanks to a Final Jeopardy! a year or two ago. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

hanzz

#3 Post by hanzz » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:05 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

Answer
I got this one thanks to a Final Jeopardy! a year or two ago. --Bob
I got this one thanks to the National Spelling Bee about 4 years ago.

I cringed when the expert not only eliminated
Spoiler
archery
as an incorrect answer, but went ahead and eliminated
Spoiler
handball
as well, leaving Vito in a very tempting situation where he might have justifiably used the DD, as many other players might. Mere even reminded him he had the DD, but thankfully he didn't bite.
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:07 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Vito Mazza
Jersey City, NJ
WE®

$8K: Out of my league. ATA.

$16K: It's not the Civil War or the French/Indian War. Double Dip on B and D.

$25K: I couldn't suss out a Greek or Latin root from this word within 30 seconds, so I would've have to burn the PAF.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:10 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Vito Mazza
Jersey City, NJ

Vito is a bartender and restaurant manager who finds himself out of work and happy to be in the Hot Seat. Vito's dream is to open a restaurant of his own, maybe a piano bar or a little Italian bistro.

Vito's dad, also named Vito (the contestant is actually Vito IV) is in the audience.
He's a WE®. And another "out of work" hook.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Vito is a true hero. He came upon the scene of an accident and crawled into the an upturned car to help someone stay alive. Vito was an EMT and then a volunteer fireman, as well.

Now there's a good hook.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000 * High School Musical
In the wildly popular "High School Musical" movies, Zac Efron's character is captain of what sports team at the high school?

A: Soccer B: Basketball
C: Hockey D: Football

Vito hasn't seen any of these movies. With 8 seconds left, he decides to Phone A Friend.

Vito's PAF team are his sister Marissa, Leonia, NJ; his friend Charlie, New York, NY; and his uncle Mark, Jersey City, NJ. Vito calls his sister. He reads the question and Marissa answers before he can read the choices.

Marissa: Basketball.

Vito: What is it?

Marissa: He's the captain of the basketball team.

Vito: You're the best!

Marissa: I love you!

Vito: I love you, too!
Answer
B: Basketball ( 6 )

I've seen all three of them - or, rather, parts of two of them and all of the third one. Too bad Vito IV used his ATA on a question that he knew the answer to, otherwise he could have used it here.

With 18 seconds left, Vito decides to Ask The Expert. Carmen tells Meredith she does know her Olympic events.

Carmen: Oh, gosh, I'm going back to my college Latin on this one. Toxo-, toxo-, Latin root of--what? Professor is yelling in my ear, I'm sure. Ummm, I think I could narrow it down.

Vito: Okay. What are you going with?

Carmen: To--I don't think it's C. I don't think it is A, either. I'm leaning mostly towards D, but--

Meredith: Why?

Carmen: I don't know! I just--you know, sometime I gotta go with my gut on these, Meredith, you know?

Meredith: Yeah.

Carmen: But I'm not completely sure, Vito, and I apologize, because I'd love to get this one for you.

Vito: Well, I appreciate that.

Vito is not sure. He's leaning towards B, but he doesn't want to risk it or risk the double dip. He walks away with $16,000.
Answer

If he hadn't used his ATA he might have had his PAF here. "Toxophilite" is Greek, not Latin, and means "lover of the bow". I'd be going for the $50K question with all lifelines still available.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:36 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000 * Good Golly Miss Molly
The historical figure "Molly Pitcher" got her nickname because she brought water to soldiers on the battlefield during what war?

A: U.S. Civil War B: War of 1812
C: French and Indian War D: American Revolution
Answer
D: American Revolution ( 15 )
I'm glad a guy from NJ was able to get this one. Molly earned her fame at the Battle of Monmouth. We used to drive past her memorial on the way to the beach.