RIP Michael Jackson

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Estonut
Evil Genius

Re: RIP Michael Jackson

#76 Post by Estonut » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:53 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
hanzz wrote:My sister was getting off of work at the USC hospital when she ran into the hoard of cameras, news reporters, fans, and whatnot because apparently the coroner's office is nearby. We asked her if she had heard the news, to which she guffawed, "Of course!" Little does she know, however, that the running joke in the family is that she and a similar-aged cousin of ours are completely clueless when it comes to current events. Like when she called us the day after Hurricane Charley, and we assured her that everyone was ok but that we had lost power. She asks, "Why, what happened?"

Maybe it's no big deal, but I think that Michael Jackson was taken to the UCLA medical center.
Uly, Hanzz is correct. The L.A. coroner's office is on North Mission Road (also a series on TruTV) where it crosses under the 5 freeway. LAC/USC hospital is just east of there. Hanzz was talking about peeps hanging around the coroner's office, not LAC/USC Medical Center.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#77 Post by littlebeast13 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:02 am

hf_jai wrote:
ToLiveIsToFly wrote:
VAdame wrote:Your avatar's cute -- it reminds me of one of Fred Gwynne's books:

https://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/bimgda ... 694448.JPG

!@#$ Can't get the image to work.

(And yinz guys thought he just played Herman Munster!)
Funny. When I think of him I think of My Cousin Vinny. And I think of the time he was on Howard Stern and left because Stern wouldn't stop asking him about the Munsters.
Showing my age -- I always think of him from Car 54. Ooh ooh! (yeah, I know, that was his partner, Tooty)

That's weird, I had completely forgot about Fred Gwynne being in Car 54! I mean, if I'd have had to think about it, I'd have remembered that, but only the Munsters and Vinny stand out for me when I think of him.... and that's despite the fact that I clearly remember Al Lewis being in Car 54....

Oh, and..... Oooh! Oooh! It's Toody, not Tooty! :P

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#78 Post by littlebeast13 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:04 am

And before anyone wonders how a thirty-something can know anything about Car 54, I watched a LOT of Nick at Nite two decades ago.... this show was a staple....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

hf_jai

#79 Post by hf_jai » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:01 am

littlebeast13 wrote:Oh, and..... Oooh! Oooh! It's Toody, not Tooty! :P

lb13
I knew that.

LOL :lol:

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#80 Post by ulysses5019 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:16 pm

Estonut wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
hanzz wrote:My sister was getting off of work at the USC hospital when she ran into the hoard of cameras, news reporters, fans, and whatnot because apparently the coroner's office is nearby. We asked her if she had heard the news, to which she guffawed, "Of course!" Little does she know, however, that the running joke in the family is that she and a similar-aged cousin of ours are completely clueless when it comes to current events. Like when she called us the day after Hurricane Charley, and we assured her that everyone was ok but that we had lost power. She asks, "Why, what happened?"

Maybe it's no big deal, but I think that Michael Jackson was taken to the UCLA medical center.
Uly, Hanzz is correct. The L.A. coroner's office is on North Mission Road (also a series on TruTV) where it crosses under the 5 freeway. LAC/USC hospital is just east of there. Hanzz was talking about peeps hanging around the coroner's office, not LAC/USC Medical Center.
Oops. My bad. I didn't see that the peeps were at the coroner's office. I just thought it was the case of another non-westerner conflating the two cross-town rivals.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

mellytu74

#81 Post by mellytu74 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:57 pm

DevilKitty100 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
DevilKitty100 wrote:
Sweet Jesus! I'm glad I kept reading before I answered BiT's post. Thanks for explaining it to him, VAD. I was just going to chalk it up that BiT had finally lost his mind.............or it's really, reeeeeeeally hot where he is.
I missed it, too. That's why I didn't understand DK's saying "your mofo scenario is pretty disgusting, too." I just meant that if he were interested in sexual relations with women of an appropriate age, he mightn't have (understandably) earned her scorn by being a child molester. It hadn't occurred to me that it could be taken to refer to his own mother.

I'm still not sure why if that's what it means to DK, and she called him a mofo first, why that scenario wasn't disgusting when she brought it up...
As God is my witness, for all my years on this earth and all the places I've lived and all the questionable people I've ever associated with, I've never know that term to have ANY other meaning than "the own mother" connotation. And it never occurred to me that there could be any other interpretation.

Now I'm aware of MILTF (Mothers I'd Like to F) which I guess could refer to any female who's given birth, but that's as close as I can get to what you and BiT may have meant. I was just too tired last night to pursue it with any further dialogue.

I don't think he's literally a MF, but as that is a disgusting scenario, it was the vulgarity that I chose to express my disgust with Michael Jackson. Sort of like son-of-a-bitch. If someone calls you that, as a rule, they are not intentionally slurring your mother.......only you.

I'll try to keep my slurs and vulgarities clearer and in the future.
This part of the thread -- the mofo thread within the thread -- reminds me of a story from my newspaper days in Fresno.

This is a true story. I swear to God.

We had a metro copy editor, a dear man named Jules. Reminded me a lot of one of the professors in the movie Ball of Fire. First-rate copy editor but somewhat sheltered from the vulgarities of life.

There was a battle in San Francisco on whether or not the USS Missouri -- The Mighty Mo -- would be become a museum there (it ended up in Pearl Harbor). Some people opposed the plans and won some sort of planning battle.

The story ran on the front page, straight down the far right-hand column. Jules's two-deck headline read, "Victory for 'Mo' Foes."

When the bulldog (earliest) edition came out, we in the sports department -- who were not somewhat sheltered from the vulgarities of life -- burst into laughter for about 30 seconds before we alerted the metro slot guy (chief copy editor).

It was changed for the next two editions.

I can NEVER hear the term without thinking of the startled and bewildered look on poor Jules's face when a fellow copy editor explained the term.

secondchance
Possum Hunter!

#82 Post by secondchance » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:47 am

mellytu74 wrote: This part of the thread -- the mofo thread within the thread -- reminds me of a story from my newspaper days in Fresno.

We had a metro copy editor, a dear man named Jules. Reminded me a lot of one of the professors in the movie Ball of Fire. First-rate copy editor but somewhat sheltered from the vulgarities of life.

There was a battle in San Francisco on whether or not the USS Missouri -- The Mighty Mo -- would be become a museum there (it ended up in Pearl Harbor). Some people opposed the plans and won some sort of planning battle.

The story ran on the front page, straight down the far right-hand column. Jules's two-deck headline read, "Victory for 'Mo' Foes."

When the bulldog (earliest) edition came out, we in the sports department -- who were not somewhat sheltered from the vulgarities of life -- burst into laughter for about 30 seconds before we alerted the metro slot guy (chief copy editor).

I can NEVER hear the term without thinking of the startled and bewildered look on poor Jules's face when a fellow copy editor explained the term.
That is absolutely hilarious.

:lol:

DevilKitty100

#83 Post by DevilKitty100 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:55 am

Second Chance wrote:
mellytu74 wrote: This part of the thread -- the mofo thread within the thread -- reminds me of a story from my newspaper days in Fresno.

That is absolutely hilarious.

:lol:
That is hilarious. And consequently, we've also identified the third and only other person on earth who didn't grasp the meaning of the phrase. :lol:

wintergreen48

#84 Post by wintergreen48 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:15 am

Russian is a very, um, eloquent language. You can use naughty words to describe parts of a person's anatomy for a full half hour, without once repeating yourself, and you only have to stop after a half hour because you need to clear your throat (all those vocative consonants can be very rought on the vocal cords). One very common expression in Russian (usually used by the, shall we say, lower classes, although it was also used in the Soviet days when they were a classless society) (hmm... maybe that's what they meant when they said that they were 'classless'...) now where was I... oh, yes.. one very common expression is to say the equivalent of 'F your mother.' It is used very casually, does not have any real sexual connotation, and its often used by Russians almost like (too many) Americans say 'you know.'
Innocent, naive and whimsical. And somewhat footloose and fancy-free.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#85 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:35 am

Hey WG, perhaps you can tell the web what "vox clamans in terris" means
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Bob Juch

#86 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:39 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:Hey WG, perhaps you can tell the web what "vox clamans in terris" means
Ask John Roberts what he meant.
Spoiler
Probably "I am not an expert."
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

MarleysGh0st

#87 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:45 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:Hey WG, perhaps you can tell the web what "vox clamans in terris" means
Oh, you lawyers and your Latin jokes! :P

Whatever Chief Justice Roberts was talking about, it seems to be all the rage on the blogosphere, today.

earendel

#88 Post by earendel » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:01 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:

Whatever Chief Justice Roberts was talking about, it seems to be all the rage on the blogosphere, today.
I'm taking a stab here. "Vox" is Latin for "voice" and "clamans" sounds like it's related to "clamor". In the Vulgate (Latin version of the Bible), John the Baptist is "vox clamantis in deserto", or "a voice crying in the wilderness". So maybe "clamans" should be "clamantis". That only leaves "terris", which might be supposed to be "terra", hence "a voice crying in the world". Though I have no idea what that would mean in context.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#89 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:09 am

Whatever happened to VoxArtist......????

GO Post #97763
Posted by: VoxArtist
Time: 8:05PM PDT - Friday September 8, 2000
Subject: Re: People Mag - was WWTBAM TV Special!

Oh, Samcat, seems as though you and I are in our own
little chat room again! Funny you should mention TR, I
would nominate him for the "50 Most Intriguing Posters"
issue, along with kerrzog, TXgrandma, Killer, Galahad,
MaceX2, tgirl, littlebeast13 (the real one), a1mamacat,
and others.... Maybe it's not such a bad idea after all!

lb13

MarleysGh0st

#90 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:20 am

earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

I'm taking a stab here. "Vox" is Latin for "voice" and "clamans" sounds like it's related to "clamor". In the Vulgate (Latin version of the Bible), John the Baptist is "vox clamantis in deserto", or "a voice crying in the wilderness". So maybe "clamans" should be "clamantis". That only leaves "terris", which might be supposed to be "terra", hence "a voice crying in the world". Though I have no idea what that would mean in context.
From my cursory review of the Google hits, that misquotation seems to be the consensus.

Either that, or something about being the "voice of clams." :wink:

tlynn78

#91 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:22 am

Oh, Samcat, seems as though you and I are in our own
little chat room again! Funny you should mention TR, I
would nominate him for the "50 Most Intriguing Posters"
issue, along with kerrzog, TXgrandma, Killer, Galahad,
MaceX2, tgirl, littlebeast13 (the real one), a1mamacat,
and others.... Maybe it's not such a bad idea after all!

LOL - quite the mixed bag, there.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

MarkBarrett

#92 Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:17 pm

Fox was creative with its tribute to Michael Jackson tonight as they reran the "American Idol" episode from March 10th. The 13 finalists sang Jackson songs. Digging out my scoresheet I can see Adam was the 11th singer on the show, so I can tune in later to see him tear up "Black or White."

Vandal
Director of Promos

#93 Post by Vandal » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:40 am

Ten years ago, today.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Bob Juch

#94 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:49 am

Vandal wrote:Ten years ago, today.
But everyone forgets that Farrah Fawcett died the same day.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#95 Post by Estonut » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:22 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Wrong, as usual. You do not speak for everyone.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#96 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:30 pm

Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
What the fuck is wrong with you?

Estonut
Evil Genius

#97 Post by Estonut » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:06 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:But everyone forgets that Farrah Fawcett died the same day.
What the fuck is wrong with you?
I'm bullshit-averse. What the fuck is wrong with you?
Groucho Marx

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#98 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:36 am

Break it up, guys!

lb13

BackInTex

#99 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:16 am

littlebeast13 wrote:Break it up, guys!

lb13
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Vandal
Director of Promos

#100 Post by Vandal » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:19 am

I posted to the thread because we humans like to say, "Wow, I can't believe it has been ten years!" and perhaps evaluate our place in the space/time continuum and maybe even wonder why no one has built a reliable taco cannon.

But if you want to continue with the kitten fight, by all means carry on.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster