Transcript 06/25/09 - Chet Greenleaf (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 06/25/09 - Chet Greenleaf (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:23 pm

Chet Greenleaf
Ridgewood, NJ

Chet is a retired middle school teacher with two kids, two grandkids and one adoring wife, Doris, who's here supporting him today. Chet and Doris have been married for 50 years. Chet met Doris when she was playing hooky from school, one day.

Chet says give and take is the secret to a good marriage. "She takes and I give."

Question Topics:
* Brainiacs
* Bartlett's
* TV Commercials
* Far and Wide
* Thomas Jefferson
* All in the Family
* Turn! Turn! Turn!
* America on Film
* Do the Math
* (Under the Sun)
* (Sandra Bullock)
* (Dining Out)
* (Songs You Know)
* (Hang Ten)
* (Don't Be Crabby!)

$4,000 * Do the Math
In math, which of these numbers is a common denominator of the fraction 1/3 and 2/5?

A: 8 B: 9
C: 15 D: 25
Answer
C: 15 ( 11 )
$8,000 * America on Film
Familiar to TV fans as the star of "Ugly Betty," America Ferrera broke into showbiz by starring in what indie film?

A: Girlfight B: Just Another Girl on the I.R.T.
C: Real Women Have Curves D: Welcome to the Dollhouse

Chet thinks he knows this, but he's not sure. With 16 seconds left, he decides to Ask The Audience.

ATA: A: 9% B: 5% C: 72% D: 14%

That's what Chet was leaning towards.
Answer
C: Real Women Have Curves ( 14 )
$16,000 * Turn! Turn! Turn!
Famous from the '60s hit "Turn! Turn! Turn!," the verse "to every thing there is a season" comes from what book of the Bible?

A: Proverbs B: Genesis
C: Psalms D: Ecclesiastes

With 15 seconds left, Chet decides to Ask The Expert. Today's expert is the host of CNBC's "On The Money", Carmen Wong Aldritch.

Carmen: Yeah, well, I'm almost sure that this would be from Psalms. You know, Catholic school all my life, so I should know my Bible, but I'm thinking that this is C, this is from Psalms, which is almost poetry.

Chet: How sure?

Carmen: How sure? How does 85% work for you?

Chet: That's a good percentage.

Carmen: Okay.

Chet goes with Psalms, and drops to $1,000.

Answer
D: Ecclesiastes ( 11 )
-- Commercial Break --

hanzz

Re: Transcript 06/25/09 - Chet Greenleaf (carryover)

#2 Post by hanzz » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:46 pm

Yeah, today's expert really deserves the slugfest that is coming her way.
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#3 Post by kayrharris » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:51 pm

If Carmen is an expert, maybe I should apply for the job. Just sayin'... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
krh

clem21
Nose Exploder

#4 Post by clem21 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:05 pm

If Carmen actually paid attention in Catholic school she might've realized who wrote Psalms and what it's all about which would make it fairly obvious that this quote is not from there...
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

gsabc

#5 Post by gsabc » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:21 pm

Chet says give and take is the secret to a good marriage. "She takes and I give."
Then he had a really good relationship with the Expert, because he certainly got taken by her. She apparently slept through Catholic school. That was just awful.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

mcraig7155536

#6 Post by mcraig7155536 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:51 pm

hey I went to catholic schools all thru grammar school and high school and even 3 years of law school-we never studied the bible in all those classes--although this may be a hasty generalization, it's pretty safe to say of all the christian religions, Catholics are the most ignorant of the bible--so much so that around my neck of the woods I have Catholic friends who attend the local Baptist bible study classes. By the way, I knew the answer but not because I studied those verses in any school I attended, Catholic or otherwise.

TheConfessor

#7 Post by TheConfessor » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:36 pm

mcraig7155536 wrote:hey I went to catholic schools all thru grammar school and high school and even 3 years of law school-we never studied the bible in all those classes--although this may be a hasty generalization, it's pretty safe to say of all the christian religions, Catholics are the most ignorant of the bible--so much so that around my neck of the woods I have Catholic friends who attend the local Baptist bible study classes. By the way, I knew the answer but not because I studied those verses in any school I attended, Catholic or otherwise.
Yeah, I went to Catholic schools, but that's not why I knew this answer. It was more of a music history question, and maybe this "expert" was too young to be aware of it. I've always liked the Byrds, and I've probably heard about the Ecclesiastes connection to the song hundreds of times.

hanzz

#8 Post by hanzz » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:07 am

Well, I actually do attribute knowing it to growing up in a Christian school and listening in Sabbath school (Seventh-day Adventist). I always thought it was a very poetic sounding passage and it's always been one of my favorites. I just cringed when I heard Carmen say "85% sure". I mean, after seeing for myself the hassle of what goes into auditioning just once, I feel so bad for the guy, after all the hard work of passing the test and being interesting and waiting patiently for the call and flying out to NYC and making it to the Hot Seat, only to have to bow out like that.
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:18 am

TheConfessor wrote:
mcraig7155536 wrote:hey I went to catholic schools all thru grammar school and high school and even 3 years of law school-we never studied the bible in all those classes--although this may be a hasty generalization, it's pretty safe to say of all the christian religions, Catholics are the most ignorant of the bible--so much so that around my neck of the woods I have Catholic friends who attend the local Baptist bible study classes. By the way, I knew the answer but not because I studied those verses in any school I attended, Catholic or otherwise.
Yeah, I went to Catholic schools, but that's not why I knew this answer. It was more of a music history question, and maybe this "expert" was too young to be aware of it. I've always liked the Byrds, and I've probably heard about the Ecclesiastes connection to the song hundreds of times.
Ditto
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:22 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Chet Greenleaf
Ridgewood, NJ

Chet is a retired middle school teacher with two kids, two grandkids and one adoring wife, Doris, who's here supporting him today. Chet and Doris have been married for 50 years. Chet met Doris when she was playing hooky from school, one day.

I hope Doris has a good sense of humor.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000 * America on Film
Familiar to TV fans as the star of "Ugly Betty," America Ferrera broke into showbiz by starring in what indie film?

A: Girlfight B: Just Another Girl on the I.R.T.
C: Real Women Have Curves D: Welcome to the Dollhouse

Chet thinks he knows this, but he's not sure. With 16 seconds left, he decides to Ask The Audience.

ATA: A: 9% B: 5% C: 72% D: 14%

That's what Chet was leaning towards.
Answer
C: Real Women Have Curves ( 14 )
elwing is a big fan of "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" and so I've seen Ms. Ferrera. I would have gone with the correct answer. I've never seen an episode of "Ugly Betty".
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000 * Turn! Turn! Turn!
Famous from the '60s hit "Turn! Turn! Turn!," the verse "to every thing there is a season" comes from what book of the Bible?

With 15 seconds left, Chet decides to Ask The Expert. Today's expert is the host of CNBC's "On The Money", Carmen Wong Aldritch.

Carmen: Yeah, well, I'm almost sure that this would be from Psalms. You know, Catholic school all my life, so I should know my Bible, but I'm thinking that this is C, this is from Psalms, which is almost poetry.

Answer
D: Ecclesiastes ( 11 )
Well, it is poetry, but Psalms isn't the only Biblical book with poetry in it. I can remember sermons being preached, taking advantage of the popularity of the song.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#11 Post by ulysses5019 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:19 am

TheConfessor wrote:

I'm with you ed. My schools never went much into depth when discussing the bible.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:21 am

hanzz wrote:I mean, after seeing for myself the hassle of what goes into auditioning just once, I feel so bad for the guy, after all the hard work of passing the test and being interesting and waiting patiently for the call and flying out to NYC and making it to the Hot Seat, only to have to bow out like that.
I don't know what Chet's auditioning experiences were, but he certainly didn't have to fly out to NYC from Ridgewood, NJ.

NellyLunatic1980

#13 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:45 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000 * Turn! Turn! Turn!

I screamed at my TV when Carmen called it for Psalms.