TNPG Question Thread

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Kazoo65

Re: TNPG Question Thread

#451 Post by Kazoo65 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:22 pm

And on the final night of "Sad Fred & Me" I got:

1. put "the joint is jumping" in order. Fred said this is from "Ain't Misbehavin'"

2. put animals in order by length, starting shortest first:

1. whale shark
2. some kind of crocodile
3. pygmy mouse
4. blue whale

I put in 3124 but got Sad Fred.

So Fred slips back to whereever it is he came from-for how long, we don't know.

Good Luck to all BBs waitng for the Call!
I'm just a game show nerd.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#452 Post by AnnieCamaro » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:31 pm

Kazoo65 wrote:And on the final night of "Sad Fred & Me" I got:

1. put "the joint is jumping" in order. Fred said this is from "Ain't Misbehavin'"

1. whale shark
3. pygmy mouse
4. blue whale

I'm really sorry, Miss Kazoo. If you come to my house, you can watch Animal Planet with me. That's where I learned that whale sharks are really, really big -- up to 40 feet long, hence the "whale" in their name. Blue whales can be more than 100 feet long, but you knew that already. It should have been 3-2-1-4.

/ :( \
Sou iu koto de.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#453 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:36 pm

1. whale shark
3. pygmy mouse
4. blue whale

So Fred slips back to whereever it is he came from-for how long, we don't know.

Good Luck to all BBs waitng for the Call!
I'm sorry, Kazoo. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

gsn309

#454 Post by gsn309 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:21 pm

done in by candy---
3rd question asked to order
Reese's Sticks/Wirgley's Gum/3 Musketeers/Symphony Bar
(was this reported here?, dunno and not looking).
Spoiler
For whatever reason I thought Symphony was one of those new-ish type candy bars that they advertise-- so my mind put it after Reese's sticks. Turns out Symphony was 1980's, I think 1989, Reese's Stix was 1999, correct order by earliest is 2/3/4/1
Well, I am majorly bummed, as anyone going 0-fer would be, but I just didn't get the right questions for me, and I don't have the knowledge many others here do to handle the 2 tough Questiobn 5's I got.
I did have my bad streaks in the old phone game, and a few good ones, but it's pretty obvious I'm not very good at this part of the game. So it goes. I'll be rooting hard for BB's to get called in the coming days!

Good luck to all of you OTC!

ghostjmf

#455 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:22 pm

Q1

smallest -------------------> largest

Olive sizes

1. supercollosal

2. large

3. small

4. jumbo
Spoiler
Tom Cruise Movies, earliest -----------------------> recent

I thought I was cooked right there

1. Valkerie

2. War of the Worlds

3. Eyes Wide Shut

4. A Few Good Men

All ones I knew, with a decent amount of years between them
Spoiler
Q3.

Jenny Craig actress spokeswomen, earliest -----------------------> recent

1. Valerie Bertinelli

2. Phylicia Rashad

3. Kirstie Alley

4. Queen Latifah

I think I guessed
Spoiler
But I can't have, can I, as
Spoiler
Kirstie 2005?
Valerie B April 2007
Queen Latifah Dec 2007
Phylicia 2008
is what I get from looking it up, & that's
Spoiler

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#456 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:23 pm

gsn309 wrote:done in by candy---
3rd question asked to order
Reese's Sticks/Wirgley's Gum/3 Musketeers/Symphony Bar
(was this reported here?, dunno and not looking).
It was not. I'm sorry for your result. Thanks for the good wishes! --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

gsn309

#457 Post by gsn309 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:25 pm

AnnieCamaro wrote:

1. whale shark
3. pygmy mouse
4. blue whale

I'm really sorry, Miss Kazoo. If you come to my house, you can watch Animal Planet with me. That's where I learned that whale sharks are really, really big -- up to 40 feet long, hence the "whale" in their name. Blue whales can be more than 100 feet long, but you knew that already. It should have been 3-2-1-4.

I really don't know what to make of this response to Kazoo's post. It may be sincere, but it comes across as very condescending.

Just so you know......

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#458 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:30 pm

gsn309 wrote:
AnnieCamaro wrote:

1. whale shark
3. pygmy mouse
4. blue whale

I really don't know what to make of this response to Kazoo's post. It may be sincere, but it comes across as very condescending.

Just so you know......
Annie is always quite sincere, and Kazoo has, in my experience, demonstrated continued interest in filling the gaps in her knowledge. After all, she may have a Jeopardy! taping in her future so she may need to know these things. --Bob

ghostjmf

#459 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:34 pm

Bob78164 says:
If this means what I think it means, I'm sorry, Ghost. --Bob
Well, it didn't then, because I was just playing the thread questions as a test to see if I can get them (though not in 10 seconds)

but it does, for real, now.

For years I've gone around telling myself that if the phone game had stayed alive, eventually I'd have gotten another round 2, & done well this time (in my 1 round 2 I got an easy Q2 wrong by mishearing, then, because they let you keep playing, Q5 wrong putting record album release dates in order; not my best subject, but the one I goofed on was a Rolling Stones "Best of" album the egotists apparently released in '68 or something).

When I did finally get to the ROF by audition, I got stuff in the right order but my answers weren't lighting up. Bad buttons, though many here choose not to believe this. On the show's instructions I played the real life show v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y & got both real life questions right, but v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-y.

So now I get my chance to show I could at least play a real round 2, get 10 of them, & blow it. Not feeling so good.

And I've still got all that stuff to do here.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubadave
Official Bored Breaker/Fixer

#460 Post by tubadave » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:35 pm

(Copied into this thread from elsewhere.)

My first and only Q1 flameout of the call-in period.

My tired brain (didn't get out of the Harry Potter movie until after 3 last night, wasn't home until 3:30, and God only knows when I went to bed) desperately needed a words-in-order Q1 to jump start things and get the juices flowing, etc., but instead, I got hit with an eras-in-order question that wouldn't have seemed so bad if I'd already answered a couple of questions correctly:

Q1) Put these historical eras in order, earliest first:

1. Reformation
2. Middle Ages
3. Renaissance
4. Industrial Revolution

I'm not really sure what I answered....my brain just couldn't get started fast enough to really do me any good. I think I had the first and last ones, correct, and swapped the middle two. I always have a tendency to think that the starting time for the Renaissance is much later than it actually is.

This is not a difficult question, but I just wasn't up to it tonight. Or any of the previous nine, I guess.

Congrats to everyone who made it into the pool. Hopefully, some BB phones will start ringing as soon as tomorrow.

:\
2-3-1-4

Middle Ages (approx. 5th century)
Renaissance (14th century)
Reformation (early 16th century)
Industrial Revolution (18th century)
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." -- Dave Barry

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#461 Post by AnnieCamaro » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:38 pm

gsn309 wrote:

Just so you know......
Oh, dear! It wasn't meant to be, at all! Back when I broke my legs and couldn't walk, I spent all day every day for months laying on the couch and watching Animal Planet until my mom came home from work. I watched programs about every kind of animals on the land and in the sea, so I love animal questions. (In fact, I first learned to read by paying attention to the commercials.) I thought everybody already knew that.

I consider Miss Kazoo one of my very best friends I've never met, and I would never evereverever be mean to her! I'm not that kind of girl.
Sou iu koto de.

gsn309

#462 Post by gsn309 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:43 pm

tubadave wrote:(Copied into this thread from elsewhere.)

My first and only Q1 flameout of the call-in period.

My tired brain (didn't get out of the Harry Potter movie until after 3 last night, wasn't home until 3:30, and God only knows when I went to bed) desperately needed a words-in-order Q1 to jump start things and get the juices flowing, etc., but instead, I got hit with an eras-in-order question that wouldn't have seemed so bad if I'd already answered a couple of questions correctly:

Q1) Put these historical eras in order, earliest first:

1. Reformation
2. Middle Ages
3. Renaissance
4. Industrial Revolution

I'm not really sure what I answered....my brain just couldn't get started fast enough to really do me any good. I think I had the first and last ones, correct, and swapped the middle two. I always have a tendency to think that the starting time for the Renaissance is much later than it actually is.

This is not a difficult question, but I just wasn't up to it tonight. Or any of the previous nine, I guess.

Congrats to everyone who made it into the pool. Hopefully, some BB phones will start ringing as soon as tomorrow.

:\
2-3-1-4

Middle Ages (approx. 5th century)
Renaissance (14th century)
Reformation (early 16th century)
Industrial Revolution (18th century)

Tuba, off the top of my head, there are [at least] two Question 5's I have seen posted here that were easier than this Question 1! Probably 2 or 3 others too.
Just the foibles of the game. (e.g. I am still trying to figure out how "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" fits into a 4-word answer!)

At least we can commiserate together and open a cold one for those who get called Thursday, Friday, Monday! 8)

gsn309

#463 Post by gsn309 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:44 pm

AnnieCamaro wrote:
gsn309 wrote:

Just so you know......
Oh, dear! It wasn't meant to be, at all! Back when I broke my legs and couldn't walk, I spent all day every day for months laying on the couch and watching Animal Planet until my mom came home from work. I watched programs about every kind of animals on the land and in the sea, so I love animal questions. (In fact, I first learned to read by paying attention to the commercials.) I thought everybody already knew that.

I consider Miss Kazoo one of my very best friends I've never met, and I would never evereverever be mean to her! I'm not that kind of girl.

Fair enough!

MarkBarrett

#464 Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:52 pm

At least I made it to Question 4.

Q1). Nickleback Song - Oh, No! - I'm dead from the start.

1. You
2. Remind
3. Me
4. How

You remind me how sounded possible, but that was 1-2-3-4. I took some of my precious seconds to look at the words, kept my cool, breathed a sigh of relief when I made it to Q2.
Spoiler
Q2. Holidays starting in January

1. Hanukkah
2. Halloween
3. All Saints Day
4. Chinese New Year

Teaching helps a lot with specials days and celebrations. No way I miss this one.
Spoiler
Q3. Earliest event

1. Great Depression
2. American Revolution
3. Unabomber arrested
4. Chernobyl

Knowing the decade for Ted and Russia accident made this another one where I knew I was moving on.
Spoiler
Q4. Earliest discovery

1. Pulsar (Oh, not science..I'm a goner for sure now.)
2. Neptune
3. Pluto
4. Speed of Light

I think I did a
Spoiler
and I have not bothered to check what is right because at this point I don't care. I enjoyed the process with the excitement and challenge each night. All I could do was try. Best wishes to all waiting for the call and in the running for NYC and Regis.

Jeemie

#465 Post by Jeemie » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:57 pm

Wife:

Q1- Words to name a movie about Hollywood

1 Born
2 A
3 Star
4 Is
Spoiler
Q2- English History Events, from Earliest

1 War of the Roses
2 Great Viking Invasion
3 Shakespeare born
4 Magna Carta signed
Spoiler
Q3 American authors by birth, from ealiest

1 Alice Walker
2 Sylvia Plath
3 Louisa May Alcott
4 Patricia Cornwell
Spoiler
3214- she inverted Plath and Walker
Me:

Q1- Words to name a famous hospital

1 Center
2 Medical
3 Cedars
4 Sinai
Spoiler
Q2- Speeds, from slowest

1 Light
2 60 mph
3 Sound
4 Mach 3
Spoiler
2341. On my sheet, I had ordered them from the fastest! Saw my scrawled "slowest" clue at the last second, took a deep breath, and CAREFULLY entered the reverse of the order I had written. Before the phone game tonight, I did what Bob Juch suggested, and practiced counting 10 seconds from a beep several times. This practice helped me not to panic, and take the time to get the right answer.
Q3- Songs by Grammy for record of the year, from earliest

1 All I Wanna Do (I will never forget this song! I have heard it so often, and it has appeared in so many trivia questions I have seen!)
2 Hotel California
3 Killing Me Softly With his Song (Oh Damn! This and number 2 are close, I think!)
4 Wind Beneath My Wings
Spoiler
I type in 3241 with trepidation, and hear "Question 4"! My memory was right- these two won the Grammy in 1974 and 1976, respectively!
Q4- Cards Dealt to Player, from Most

1 Let It Ride
2 Gin Rummy
3 Blackjack
4 Uno

All right! I'd just seen this one- AND looked it up- last night!
Spoiler
Q5- International holidays, from Jan 1

1 US Thanksgiving
2 Tet
3 Boxing Day
4 Bastille Day
Spoiler
YAY! ANOTHER ONE I'D SEEN A LOT! I carefully type 2413 and get Happy Fred!

OTC for August 5. Just like the last time they had Super millionaire, i qualify on the last day! Now to finish the video and submit!
1979 City of Champions 2009

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#466 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:58 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:Q4. Earliest discovery

2. Neptune
3. Pluto
4. Speed of Light

I think I did a
Spoiler
and I have not bothered to check what is right because at this point I don't care. I enjoyed the process with the excitement and challenge each night. All I could do was try. Best wishes to all waiting for the call and in the running for NYC and Regis.
I'm sorry you won't be joining us. I think the correct answer is
Spoiler
. --Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#467 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:01 pm

Jeemie wrote:On my sheet, I had ordered them from the fastest! Saw my scrawled "slowest" clue at the last second, took a deep breath, and CAREFULLY entered the reverse of the order I had written. Before the phone game tonight, I did what Bob Juch suggested, and practiced counting 10 seconds from a beep several times. This practice helped me not to panic, and take the time to get the right answer.
You're welcome. But I'm not Bob Juch. I'm glad the advice made a difference. Congratulations! --Bob

Jeemie

#468 Post by Jeemie » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:02 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Jeemie wrote:On my sheet, I had ordered them from the fastest! Saw my scrawled "slowest" clue at the last second, took a deep breath, and CAREFULLY entered the reverse of the order I had written. Before the phone game tonight, I did what Bob Juch suggested, and practiced counting 10 seconds from a beep several times. This practice helped me not to panic, and take the time to get the right answer.
You're welcome. But I'm not Bob Juch. I'm glad the advice made a difference. Congratulations! --Bob
I knew it was a Bob!
1979 City of Champions 2009

gsn309

#469 Post by gsn309 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:02 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

2. Neptune
3. Pluto
4. Speed of Light

I think I did a
Spoiler
Spoiler
. --Bob
I was waiting for an astronomy q the whole game but would not have wanted this one!
Spoiler
According to Wiki, first speed of light experiments in the 1600's, Neptune discovered 1846 I think, Pluto 1930, Pulsars 1968. If true that would make the answer 4/2/3/1

tubadave
Official Bored Breaker/Fixer

#470 Post by tubadave » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:06 pm

gsn309 wrote:
tubadave wrote:Q1) Put these historical eras in order, earliest first:

1. Reformation
2. Middle Ages
3. Renaissance
4. Industrial Revolution
Tuba, off the top of my head, there are [at least] two Question 5's I have seen posted here that were easier than this Question 1! Probably 2 or 3 others too.
Just the foibles of the game. (e.g. I am still trying to figure out how "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" fits into a 4-word answer!)

At least we can commiserate together and open a cold one for those who get called Thursday, Friday, Monday! 8)

I think I had a similar thought about the relative difficulty of that Q1.

Fred: I will now begin asking the questions.....
Tired Brain: (yawn) I'm all ready for that softball words-in-order question to pass the time while I wake up enough to keep playing.
Fred: Put these historical eras in chronological order.....
Tired Brain: WTF? Oh screw it. If that's Q1, I'm never going to get past Q5. Kiss Uranus, Fred! I'm outta here.

I will happily toast with you to anyone who gets the call. I also plan to go home tonight and toast each of the Q's I've missed the last 10 nights. This may take a while. Fortunately. (hic) :mrgreen:
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." -- Dave Barry

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#471 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:06 pm

gsn309 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

2. Neptune
3. Pluto
4. Speed of Light

I think I did a
Spoiler
Spoiler
. --Bob
I was waiting for an astronomy q the whole game but would not have wanted this one!
Spoiler
According to Wiki, first speed of light experiments in the 1600's, Neptune discovered 1846 I think, Pluto 1930, Pulsars 1968. If true that would make the answer 4/2/3/1
I agree the question is ambiguous, but I strongly suspect they mean the wheel-and-cog experiments that took place shortly after the discovery of Neptune. Those are the first experiments that resulted in a value relatively close to the currently accepted value. --Bob

mrkelley23

#472 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:30 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
gsn309 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I'm sorry you won't be joining us. I think the correct answer is
Spoiler
. --Bob
Spoiler
I agree the question is ambiguous, but I strongly suspect they mean the wheel-and-cog experiments that took place shortly after the discovery of Neptune. Those are the first experiments that resulted in a value relatively close to the currently accepted value. --Bob

Don't know what wheel-and-cog experiment you're referring to, but Olaus Roemer correctly calculated the speed of light to three significant digits in the 1670s, by using careful examination of Io, the moon of Jupiter that Galileo had so carefully observed. Three sig figs is pretty damn good by any standard.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#473 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:34 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
gsn309 wrote:
Spoiler

Don't know what wheel-and-cog experiment you're referring to, but Olaus Roemer correctly calculated the speed of light to three significant digits in the 1670s, by using careful examination of Io, the moon of Jupiter that Galileo had so carefully observed. Three sig figs is pretty damn good by any standard.
As I understand it, Roemer's work relied on knowledge of the size of the AU, which wasn't then known to that precision. --Bob

hanzz

#474 Post by hanzz » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:36 pm

Update: still at work. We have a late night Harry Potter showing so my date with Fred will be after midnight. Here's hoping a bunch of people didn't scramble to get in their calls tonight.
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

mrkelley23

#475 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:42 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I agree the question is ambiguous, but I strongly suspect they mean the wheel-and-cog experiments that took place shortly after the discovery of Neptune. Those are the first experiments that resulted in a value relatively close to the currently accepted value. --Bob

As I understand it, Roemer's work relied on knowledge of the size of the AU, which wasn't then known to that precision. --Bob
Not the way I understand it, nor do any college physics sites on the topic that I can find. Here's one as an example:

http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/wa ... dence.html
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman