Ice or heat?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
sunflower
Bored Hooligan

Ice or heat?

#1 Post by sunflower » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:42 pm

For sore muscles? I never know what I'm supposed to do. Does anyone know? (And by know, I don't mean go search google and then paste it here, I already did that and there are conflicting answers all over the place...so I figured someone might actually know from experience)

My biceps and triceps are killing me...this is from a workout on Wednesday night, probably exacerbated by Pilates class yesterday.

I've tried both ice and heat today and nothing has really helped, but they could have been counteracting each other. If I know which one is better and stick with it, maybe I'll get some relief.

a1mamacat

Re: Ice or heat?

#2 Post by a1mamacat » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:50 pm

sunflower wrote:For sore muscles? I never know what I'm supposed to do. Does anyone know? (And by know, I don't mean go search google and then paste it here, I already did that and there are conflicting answers all over the place...so I figured someone might actually know from experience)

My biceps and triceps are killing me...this is from a workout on Wednesday night, probably exacerbated by Pilates class yesterday.

I've tried both ice and heat today and nothing has really helped, but they could have been counteracting each other. If I know which one is better and stick with it, maybe I'll get some relief.

RICE

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

after 24 hours, then you can use heat.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#3 Post by sunflower » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:54 pm

a1mamacat wrote:
sunflower wrote:For sore muscles? I never know what I'm supposed to do. Does anyone know? (And by know, I don't mean go search google and then paste it here, I already did that and there are conflicting answers all over the place...so I figured someone might actually know from experience)

RICE

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

Good to know, thanks! Do you think that's 24 hours after the activity (which is technically when the "injury" occurs) or 24 hours after the pain sets in? (For instances like this one where pain is not immediate)

Although I guess either way, by tomorrow morning I'll be at the point to use heat.

a1mamacat

#4 Post by a1mamacat » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:00 pm

sunflower wrote:
a1mamacat wrote:

RICE

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

Good to know, thanks! Do you think that's 24 hours after the activity (which is technically when the "injury" occurs) or 24 hours after the pain sets in? (For instances like this one where pain is not immediate)

Although I guess either way, by tomorrow morning I'll be at the point to use heat.
Use cold until the swelling is down, at least 24 hours after you start treatment. If you apply heat too soon, you can slow down the healing process. Also Ibuprofen will help reduce swelling.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

clem21
Nose Exploder

#5 Post by clem21 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:10 pm

My official recommendation based on no medical experience whatsoever (well...actually I was a lifeguard so we had to do training stuff but that was mainly airway clearing, broken bones and serious lacerations..) Anyway, what I like to do is take a fiery hot bath (like seriously fiery, like you have to go in one toe at a time) and just chill there. Also if you stick your head in and leave it there when you come out you get a weird but fun lightheaded sensation for like 20 minutes so that's a fun bonus....
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#6 Post by sunflower » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:29 pm

clem21 wrote:My official recommendation based on no medical experience whatsoever (well...actually I was a lifeguard so we had to do training stuff but that was mainly airway clearing, broken bones and serious lacerations..) Anyway, what I like to do is take a fiery hot bath (like seriously fiery, like you have to go in one toe at a time) and just chill there. Also if you stick your head in and leave it there when you come out you get a weird but fun lightheaded sensation for like 20 minutes so that's a fun bonus....
I took a bath the other night when it was my legs that were killing me. I have to say though, that's the one thing I'm missing the normal girl gene for...I hate taking a bath. It feels weird to just sit there, and about 4 minutes in the water starts to feel cooler and I get cold and bored. Even with bubbles, and candles and all that crap, I just don't like it. Now jacuzzis that stay heated, those I like.

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:36 pm

sunflower wrote:
clem21 wrote:My official recommendation based on no medical experience whatsoever (well...actually I was a lifeguard so we had to do training stuff but that was mainly airway clearing, broken bones and serious lacerations..) Anyway, what I like to do is take a fiery hot bath (like seriously fiery, like you have to go in one toe at a time) and just chill there. Also if you stick your head in and leave it there when you come out you get a weird but fun lightheaded sensation for like 20 minutes so that's a fun bonus....
I took a bath the other night when it was my legs that were killing me. I have to say though, that's the one thing I'm missing the normal girl gene for...I hate taking a bath. It feels weird to just sit there, and about 4 minutes in the water starts to feel cooler and I get cold and bored. Even with bubbles, and candles and all that crap, I just don't like it. Now jacuzzis that stay heated, those I like.
You needs ES to scrub your back.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Ritterskoop

#8 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:40 pm

When you have inflamed tissues, heat will bring more blood flow to the area and inflame them more. Heat feels good, but it is often not good for your situation.

Ice, on the other hand, has both a numbing effect and a reducing-the-inflammation effect.

Not so easy to apply to biceps and triceps, but a bag of frozen peas wraps well enough. My favorite application device is a thing that looks like a long sock with rice in it, that I leave in the freezer and wrap around whatever needs it. It's also designed to be microwaved but since heat is mostly nongood, I haven;t done that much.

If none of this is easy, what you can do is run the shower way hot and then switch to cold and then way hot and then cold, etc., finishing with cold. That's a good routine for everyday, I'm finding, not just when I'm achy. It is way good for circulation.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#9 Post by sunflower » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:17 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
sunflower wrote:
That I definitely do NOT need...and I better NOT see an avatar to that effect next time I log in!!

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#10 Post by sunflower » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:20 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:When you have inflamed tissues, heat will bring more blood flow to the area and inflame them more. Heat feels good, but it is often not good for your situation.

Ice, on the other hand, has both a numbing effect and a reducing-the-inflammation effect.

Not so easy to apply to biceps and triceps, but a bag of frozen peas wraps well enough. My favorite application device is a thing that looks like a long sock with rice in it, that I leave in the freezer and wrap around whatever needs it. It's also designed to be microwaved but since heat is mostly nongood, I haven;t done that much.

If none of this is easy, what you can do is run the shower way hot and then switch to cold and then way hot and then cold, etc., finishing with cold. That's a good routine for everyday, I'm finding, not just when I'm achy. It is way good for circulation.
I'm going to have to start buying frozen peas, everyone keeps advocating those!!!! I don't like peas, but I guess if I think of this alternate use, it will make sense!!!

I was using one of those square bricks of frozen spinach! I was using a bag of frozen edamame, but those are too big, they don't mold well. I think given my options (of what is in my freezer right now), actual ice in a bag is better than anything else. I didn't try the Eggos, I'm guessing they wouldn't work very well!! :lol:

The hot/cold might work, I will try that in the morning. Thanks!!

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#11 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:00 am

sunflower wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:When you have inflamed tissues, heat will bring more blood flow to the area and inflame them more. Heat feels good, but it is often not good for your situation.

I'm going to have to start buying frozen peas, everyone keeps advocating those!!!! I don't like peas, but I guess if I think of this alternate use, it will make sense!!!

I was using one of those square bricks of frozen spinach! I was using a bag of frozen edamame, but those are too big, they don't mold well. I think given my options (of what is in my freezer right now), actual ice in a bag is better than anything else. I didn't try the Eggos, I'm guessing they wouldn't work very well!! :lol:

How about a bag of corn?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#12 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:02 am

sunflower wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
sunflower wrote:
That I definitely do NOT need...and I better NOT see an avatar to that effect next time I log in!!
Uh oh. I don't hear so good.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#13 Post by sunflower » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:03 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
sunflower wrote:

How about a bag of corn?
I really don't eat/buy frozen vegetables. The contents of my freezer currently include the frozen edamame, spinach, eggos, chicken and Edy's popsicles. That's it! Or maybe there is a smart one in there, I'm not sure.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:14 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
sunflower wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: You needs ES to scrub your back.
Found it! --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

ten96lt

#15 Post by ten96lt » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:56 am

I was a student athletic trainer in high school (trying to do it now in College) (Disclaimer: don't take my word as official medical advice) and after an athlete got injured, we always followed the RICE procedure as mentioned earlier because we didn't want the area to swell more. Then when they got home that night after the game, we told them ice 20 minutes on, 40 minutes off (or 10 minutes on 20 minutes off, etc depending on your schedule) for three times before they went to sleep using an ice bag or bag of frozen vegetables. They're a great timer because as the 20 mins was ending, the vegetables were thawed out. You don't really want to ice more then 20 minutes though because the opposite effect will soon happen and more blood will start flowing there to prevent frostbite, which you don't want happening after an injury. Then once the swelling was down, we'd do therapy to get range of motion back first, then strength, then agilities. Before a workout, we'd use heat for the pain to get the tissues flexible and the blood flowing so the athlete could have a better therapy. Then after the workout we'd use ice for pain which also cooled down the athlete slowing down blood flow, and decreasing the tissue flexibility to give the muscles a break after the workout.

P.S. We always did advocate frozen peas or corn because those two bags are the easiest to "morph" around the injured area.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#16 Post by Estonut » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:26 am

I have a feeling clem would also recommend blood thinners for a bloody nose, double doses of Tylenol Extra Strength for ulcers and "walking it off" for compound fractures...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#17 Post by littlebeast13 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:16 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
sunflower wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: You needs ES to scrub your back.

Did someone say something?

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#18 Post by kayrharris » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:39 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
sunflower wrote:

Did someone say something?

lb13
I knew that was temptation that couldn't be resisted!! Just knew it!!!

kay

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#19 Post by kayrharris » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:40 am

I do hope you're feeling better today. Lots of good advice here and maybe it helped.

kay

clem21
Nose Exploder

#20 Post by clem21 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:40 am

Estonut wrote:
I have a feeling clem would also recommend blood thinners for a bloody nose, double doses of Tylenol Extra Strength for ulcers and "walking it off" for compound fractures...
Nonsense! I recommend a good sleeve for the first and stop whining and growing a pair for the second and third...
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

moonie

#21 Post by moonie » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:44 am

This is great advice right here.

The only thing I'd add is that you can get a nice gel-pack (soft) ice pak that is reusable. A brick of frozen spinach ain't gonna be as effective, unless you're preparing dinner immediately afterward.

I was a student athletic trainer in high school (trying to do it now in College) (Disclaimer: don't take my word as official medical advice) and after an athlete got injured, we always followed the RICE procedure as mentioned earlier because we didn't want the area to swell more. Then when they got home that night after the game, we told them ice 20 minutes on, 40 minutes off (or 10 minutes on 20 minutes off, etc depending on your schedule) for three times before they went to sleep using an ice bag or bag of frozen vegetables. They're a great timer because as the 20 mins was ending, the vegetables were thawed out. You don't really want to ice more then 20 minutes though because the opposite effect will soon happen and more blood will start flowing there to prevent frostbite, which you don't want happening after an injury. Then once the swelling was down, we'd do therapy to get range of motion back first, then strength, then agilities. Before a workout, we'd use heat for the pain to get the tissues flexible and the blood flowing so the athlete could have a better therapy. Then after the workout we'd use ice for pain which also cooled down the athlete slowing down blood flow, and decreasing the tissue flexibility to give the muscles a break after the workout.
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to Lurk i go!

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#22 Post by littlebeast13 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:44 am

clem21 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Nonsense! I recommend a good sleeve for the first and stop whining and growing a pair for the second and third...

What is your advice for kidney stones, other than drinking more Pepsi?

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#23 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:21 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
clem21 wrote:
Estonut wrote: I have a feeling clem would also recommend blood thinners for a bloody nose, double doses of Tylenol Extra Strength for ulcers and "walking it off" for compound fractures...

lb13
Are you trying to flush them out? Or create new and bigger ones to push out the smaller ones?

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#24 Post by littlebeast13 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:23 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
clem21 wrote: Nonsense! I recommend a good sleeve for the first and stop whining and growing a pair for the second and third...

lb13
Are you trying to flush them out? Or create new and bigger ones to push out the smaller ones?

I'm aiming to cover up the weeds popping up out of my driveway......

lb13

Chicken Little
Merry Man

#25 Post by Chicken Little » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:48 pm

If you had been in Key West Friday you could have gotten both just by visiting the Airport.

Here are the temperature records

“The Arctic will be ice-free in 5 years”

- Al Gore, December, 2008

In this case, use of the more technically “correct” term is actually less likely to convey the key implications to a lay audience.

- Michael Mann, SEEDMAGAZINE.COM May 30, 2009