Fascism in Tennessee

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Weyoun

Fascism in Tennessee

#1 Post by Weyoun » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:15 am

https://apnews.com/article/tennessee-ex ... 49c5f76ea9

This seemed like a relatively “peaceful protest.” Don’t complain, Tennessee, if a building happens to burn.

silverscreenselect

Re: Fascism in Tennessee

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:23 pm

Well, at least we now know what the Republican response to a mass school shooting is. Interesting that the same Republicans who insisted that the January 6 storming of the Capitol was a peaceful demonstration are now claiming that three Democratic legislators were an insurrection.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Weyoun

#3 Post by Weyoun » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:15 pm

Absolutely outrageous.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:26 pm

Weyoun wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:15 am
https://apnews.com/article/tennessee-ex ... 49c5f76ea9

This seemed like a relatively “peaceful protest.” Don’t complain, Tennessee, if a building happens to burn.
I'm waiting for the Republicans who complained about Marjorie Taylor Greene and Paul Gosar merely losing their committee assignments (in bipartisan votes following remarks that called for or glorified physical violence) to rise up in outrage against this profoundly undemocratic action.

I suspect I'll be waiting a very long time. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:46 pm

I'm thinking every state has its own mandates on this, as opposed to comparing things to national, capitol stuff.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:49 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:46 pm
I'm thinking every state has its own mandates on this, as opposed to comparing things to national, capitol stuff.
Every state is to provide its citizens with "a republican form of government." Depriving hundreds of thousands of citizens of their elected representation is pretty much the opposite of that.

This is what the Republican Party would do everywhere if it had the power to do so. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:54 pm

They expel the Black representative but don't expel the white representative.

Just when you think they can't go any lower, they do. It will be interesting to see what the vote is on the second Black representative coming up.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#8 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:25 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:49 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Every state is to provide its citizens with "a republican form of government." Depriving hundreds of thousands of citizens of their elected representation is pretty much the opposite of that.

This is what the Republican Party would do everywhere if it had the power to do so. --Bob
Well no actually
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:39 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:25 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

Well no actually
I learned a long time ago: ignore what they say, watch what they do.

Everywhere they've had the power to do so, Republicans have conspicuously diminished the ability of their opponents to use the tools of democracy to oppose them. From voter suppression, to using government to retaliate against political opponents, to marching with guns in an effort to intimidate legislators, to attempted insurrection, to expelling Black legislators for engaging in peaceful protest. This is just the latest and largest step in that campaign. --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#10 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:44 pm

I got too much rain to keep this convo up. Replace repubs with dems, etc. Gotta stay dry. I'm replacing my bless your heart with my tag line, oh please. Onward
Well, then

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:42 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:54 pm
They expel the two Black representatives but don't expel the white representative.

Just when you think they can't go any lower, they do. It will be interesting to see what the vote is on the second Black representative coming up.
Fixed it for myself.

Pastor Fireball

#12 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:26 am

So is this that "cancel culture" thingy that I keep hearing about?
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Weyoun

#13 Post by Weyoun » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:01 am

Can’t wait to hear BiT’s non sequitur defending this.

“Yeah well Trump got rid of abortion.”

silverscreenselect

#14 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:41 am

From what I read, the two ousted representatives may be back very soon. Under Tennessee law, the governing body of the district where a vacancy occurs appoints someone to fill the vacancy temporarily, and the governor schedules a special election to fill out the remainder of the term. The governing bodies in both Nashville and Memphis are Democratic controlled, and the Nashville council has already called a special meeting for Monday. There is no prohibition against re-appointing the two ousted representatives, and they are eligible to run in the special election as well.

If reappointed or reelected, the two representatives couldn't be ousted again, because the Tennessee constitution prohibits ousting someone multiple times for the same occurrence.

franktangredi

#15 Post by franktangredi » Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:19 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:44 pm
I got too much rain to keep this convo up. Replace repubs with dems, etc. Gotta stay dry. I'm replacing my bless your heart with my tag line, oh please. Onward
I've seen this before. It's the equivalent of "Nyah nyah nyah bye bye" as a substitute for actually engaging in discussion. It thinks it's "I'm above all this but let me get in the last word" but it's delusional.

tlynn78

#16 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:28 am

franktangredi wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:19 am
Beebs52 wrote:
I've seen this before. It's the equivalent of "Nyah nyah nyah bye bye" as a substitute for actually engaging in discussion. It thinks it's "I'm above all this but let me get in the last word" but it's delusional.
It's adorable you think these guys have any desire to "engage in discussion." Bless your heart, it's interesting what triggers your sensibilities.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Weyoun

#17 Post by Weyoun » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:37 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:28 am
franktangredi wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
It's adorable you think these guys have any desire to "engage in discussion." Bless your heart, it's interesting what triggers your sensibilities.
It’s interesting you would say that. I can’t recall the last time you made a factual contribution to anyone of these conversations. Usually what you say is some variant of “bless your heart.”

tlynn78

#18 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:24 pm

Weyoun wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:37 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:

It’s interesting you would say that. I can’t recall the last time you made a factual contribution to anyone of these conversations. Usually what you say is some variant of “bless your heart.”
I generally opt out of y'alls "conversations." I also avoid joining in a game of catch with monkeys throwing excrement. Potayto-Potahto
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#19 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:42 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:24 pm
Weyoun wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
I generally opt out of y'alls "conversations." I also avoid joining in a game of catch with monkeys throwing excrement. Potayto-Potahto
I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that someone who proudly supports a convicted criminal as the Governor of her state doesn't want to engage in conversations about her Party's corruption. --Bob

tlynn78

#20 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:09 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:42 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
Weyoun wrote:
I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that someone who proudly supports a convicted criminal as the Governor of her state doesn't want to engage in conversations about her Party's corruption. --Bob
I'll take mine over yours every.single.time.

wbtravis007

#21 Post by wbtravis007 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:58 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Weyoun wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

ICM!

That really is pretty dang funny, seein's how that's actually a pretty apt analogy re: your typical participation.

BackInTex

#22 Post by BackInTex » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:32 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Depriving hundreds of thousands of citizens of their elected representation is pretty much the opposite of that.
Unless that representation is someone you don’t like. Then they should be impeached on false allegations, twice. Right Bob?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#23 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:00 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:32 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Depriving hundreds of thousands of citizens of their elected representation is pretty much the opposite of that.
Unless that representation is someone you don’t like. Then they should be impeached on false allegations, twice. Right Bob?
No one has been impeached on false allegations. Both impeachment proceedings (against someone who LOST the popular vote every time he ran) were bipartisan, and the conviction vote for the second impeachment commanded a majority of the Senate.

Donny incited an insurrection and he abused the power of his office in an attempt to blackmail the government of Ukraine for his own political purposes. That happened. You just don't care because you like that he was able to stack the Court.

But you're trying to change the subject using whataboutism. Do you agree with the expulsion of the two Black Democrats from the Tennessee House? --Bob

BackInTex

#24 Post by BackInTex » Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:44 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:00 pm
.... abused the power of his office in an attempt to blackmail the government of Ukraine for his own political purposes. That happened.
You are talking about Joe Biden? He did blackmail the governement of Ukraine. He even admitted it.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#25 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:54 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:44 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:00 pm
.... abused the power of his office in an attempt to blackmail the government of Ukraine for his own political purposes. That happened.
You are talking about Joe Biden? He did blackmail the governement of Ukraine. He even admitted it.
Well, to be fair, that was as much for personal gain as political. You gotta love how "whataboutism" is waved about every time their hypocrisy is pointed out. Their substitute for a cogent argument, weak as it is, albeit slightly more mature than WB's "I know you are, but what am I" approach.