Transcript 12/17/07 Grace Riley

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 12/17/07 Grace Riley

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:56 pm

Grace Riley
Fayetteville, AR
Senior, University of Arkansas
Photojournalist

Grace still has her PAF and STQ

$50K According to its author, what famous poem was conceived during an opium-induced dream?
A. The Raven
B. The Waste Land
C. Jabberwocky
D. Kubla Khan

STQ

$50K For most of the Civil War, Confederate General Robert E. Lee rode an iron-gray horse named what?
A. Lexington
B. Black Jack
C. Fury
D. Traveller

PAF – Grace’s dad, Tom

Tom immediately says Traveller after Grace reads the choices. He says he is 95-98% sure.

$100K In a fireworks display, bright green colors are commonly produced using compounds of which of these elements?
A. Barium
B. Titanium
C. Strontium
D. Zirconium

Grace thinks it's barium.
She says she really wants to go for it, but is going to have to walk away.
When Meredith asks Grace what her choice would have been, Grace says she would have gone with C. Strontium.

commercial break

Answers;
$50K D. Kubla Khan
$50K D. Traveller
$100K A. Barium

Kazoo65

Re: transcript 12/17 Grace Riley

#2 Post by Kazoo65 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:44 pm

I knew both $50K questions cold. I was stumped on $100K, though. After reading Friday's transcript, I doubt I would have SEEN the $50K. I would have had trouble with that French food question.
I'm just a game show nerd.

earendel

Re: Transcript 12/17/07 Grace Riley

#3 Post by earendel » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:26 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Grace Riley
Fayetteville, AR
Senior, University of Arkansas
Photojournalist

Grace still has her PAF and STQ
She had a strong start yesterday - can she keep it going?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K According to its author, what famous poem was conceived during an opium-induced dream?
A. The Raven
B. The Waste Land
C. Jabberwocky
D. Kubla Khan

STQ
"In Xanadu did Kublai Khan
a stately pleasure dome decree,
where Alph the sacred river ran
through caverns measureless to man
down to a sunless sea."

We discussed this poem in my junior English class and how Coleridge left it unfinished because he was interrupted by a visitor.

I would have thought this was a fairly widely-known trivia bit.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K For most of the Civil War, Confederate General Robert E. Lee rode an iron-gray horse named what?
A. Lexington
B. Black Jack
C. Fury
D. Traveller

PAF – Grace’s dad, Tom

Tom immediately says Traveller after Grace reads the choices. He says he is 95-98% sure.
Good for Tom! I don't think the "Arkansas Traveller" is named for Lee's horse, however. Again, though, this seems like something most trivianauts would know.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K In a fireworks display, bright green colors are commonly produced using compounds of which of these elements?
A. Barium
B. Titanium
C. Strontium
D. Zirconium

Grace thinks it's barium.
She says she really wants to go for it, but is going to have to walk away.
When Meredith asks Grace what her choice would have been, Grace says she would have gone with C. Strontium.
My first thought was barium; I'm glad copper didn't come up as a distractor. Interestingly Grace said she was leaning toward barium, and even at the end, when Meredith asked what she would have chosen, she mentioned barium before saying "strontium".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:24 am

Here's an article from Grace's run:

http://dailyheadlines.uark.edu/12000.htm

Although this is her school paper, they don't seem to have bothered interviewing her. The bulk of the story could have been copied from this transcript, with a few details copied from an official WWTBAM press release.

One personal detail indicates that her photojournalism is apparently only a sideline:
Riley is a senior at the University of Arkansas and is studying political science, history and anthropology in the J. William Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences. She'll actually end up with three different degrees when she graduates in 2008.

ghostjmf

#5 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:43 pm

50K: EZ

STQ 50K; say its my 100K: EZ

100K: no idea, but I'd STQ this one

ghostjmf

#6 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:45 pm

earendel says:

We discussed this poem in my junior English class and how Coleridge left it unfinished because he was interrupted by a visitor.

The much-maligned ever-after "person from Porlock"

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:56 am

Here's another story about Grace's appearance.

http://nwanews.com/nwat/News/60401/

Not that I'd directly accuse the Northwest Arkansas Times of plagiarism, but it certainly appears that they've taken the story from the student newspaper (which I linked to the other day) and just edited it down. In fact, this version is so edited down, it fails to mention her full name! :roll:

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:34 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Here's another story about Grace's appearance.

http://nwanews.com/nwat/News/60401/

Not that I'd directly accuse the Northwest Arkansas Times of plagiarism, but it certainly appears that they've taken the story from the student newspaper (which I linked to the other day) and just edited it down. In fact, this version is so edited down, it fails to mention her full name! :roll:
They noticed! :roll:

http://nwanews.com/nwat/News/60427/
Corrections & Clarifications

The name of the woman who won $ 50, 000 on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire "is Grace Riley. Her first name was omitted in a story in Thursday's Times.