August 2009 Video Submission invitees

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
eybyon

Re: August 2009 Video Submission invitees

#51 Post by eybyon » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:57 am

vettech wrote:
eybyon wrote:And if I don't get an email tomorrow, I wonder if I should call them back and ask them if I passed the first test back in July... :?:
If you do let me know - it might make be brave enough to attempt another call!
I called again. They didn't call me back the first time, so I'm not all that hopeful for a response. Will let you know...

Jeemie

#52 Post by Jeemie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:06 am

For those interested:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21134
1979 City of Champions 2009

MarleysGh0st

#53 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:13 am

Jeemie wrote:Wow, this board does good.

In July, when they first did the video submission, BBs and newbie BBs snagged 11 spots.

This month, when you might expect the comeptition to be greater because of the promotion of auditions on PT-BAM combined with the fact that TPTB are probably picking fewer videos (they already have a pool), BBs + newbie BBs snagged 7 spots.

Not bad!

Of course, the "promotion" of auditions actually wasn't all that great.

Regis told people to "go to abc.com".

Once you get to abc.com, you still have a few more clicks before you can find out about auditions and video submissions. So only determined contestant wannabes would continue to look from there.

But still, great job everyone!
Congratulations and good luck on the online test, everyone!
Speculation! Do not read if you have a fragile sense of self-esteem or are easily discouraged!
I'm suspicious that TPTB have adopted radically different standards for the Video Submission Pool, compared to the Audition Pool. Look at the 2009 Audition List and there's a huge winnowing out after the first interview (which comes after the written test, for in-person auditions) then another huge winnowing out of those who made it to the second, videotaped interview. That seems to indicate that those who got the Happy Card from that process have a very high likelihood of being called from the show.

Now, with the video process, they look at the videos first, then send out the invitations for the online test. They don't know how many people will pass that test, so they may be generous with their invitations. Still, the official rules (for PT-BAM, anyway) say that everyone who passes that test gets into the VSP.

What that suggests to me it that the VSP is not going to be the equivalent of the AP and that TPTB are going to be much more selective in who they cast from the VSP.

Jeemie

#54 Post by Jeemie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:15 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Jeemie wrote:Wow, this board does good.

In July, when they first did the video submission, BBs and newbie BBs snagged 11 spots.

This month, when you might expect the comeptition to be greater because of the promotion of auditions on PT-BAM combined with the fact that TPTB are probably picking fewer videos (they already have a pool), BBs + newbie BBs snagged 7 spots.

Not bad!

Of course, the "promotion" of auditions actually wasn't all that great.

Regis told people to "go to abc.com".

Once you get to abc.com, you still have a few more clicks before you can find out about auditions and video submissions. So only determined contestant wannabes would continue to look from there.

But still, great job everyone!
Congratulations and good luck on the online test, everyone!
Speculation! Do not read if you have a fragile sense of self-esteem or are easily discouraged!
I'm suspicious that TPTB have adopted radically different standards for the Video Submission Pool, compared to the Audition Pool. Look at the 2009 Audition List and there's a huge winnowing out after the first interview (which comes after the written test, for in-person interviews) then another huge winnowing out of those who made it to the second, videotaped interview. That seems to indicate that those who got the Happy Card from that process have a very high likelihood of being called from the show.

Now, with the video process, they look at the videos first, then send out the invitations for the online test. They don't know how many people will pass that test, so they may be generous with their invitations. Still, the official rules (for PT-BAM, anyway) say that everyone who passes that test gets into the VSP.

What that suggests to me it that the VSP is not going to be the equivalent of the AP and that TPTB are going to be much more selective in who they cast from the VSP.
That is quite possible...indeed, probable.

PS I wonder if Angela Watt's video was a recreation of her New Year's Eve ritual!

:mrgreen:

Odyssey
Flower Girl

#55 Post by Odyssey » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:56 am

Wow, good news for so many on the video front. Congrats. Do well on the test!

I have given up hope for my video this time. I sent the same one in that got accepted last month, but this month it is a no-go. :( Either I just squeaked by last time or I pissed them off by calling and e-mailing about the technical glitch. Oh-well. The quest continues.

I'd like to see anyone's video that is willing to share!
Odyssey

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#56 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:01 am

Odyssey wrote:Wow, good news for so many on the video front. Congrats. Do well on the test!

I have given up hope for my video this time. I sent the same one in that got accepted last month, but this month it is a no-go. :( Either I just squeaked by last time or I pissed them off by calling and e-mailing about the technical glitch. Oh-well. The quest continues.

ES has a video, but it's of grainy quality and can only be viewed in hidden back rooms....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

gsabc

#57 Post by gsabc » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:04 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Odyssey wrote:Wow, good news for so many on the video front. Congrats. Do well on the test!

ES has a video, but it's of grainy quality and can only be viewed in hidden back rooms....

lb13
Are there black boxes across the eyes, or did they pixellate the faces?
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#58 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:06 am

littlebeast13 wrote: ES has a video, but it's of grainy quality and can only be viewed in hidden back rooms....

lb13
By coincidence, I have a hidden back room! Annie and Lizbit join me in asking you to send us this video for our viewing pleasu. . . whatever.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#59 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:09 am

silvercamaro wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote: ES has a video, but it's of grainy quality and can only be viewed in hidden back rooms....

lb13
By coincidence, I have a hidden back room! Annie and Lizbit join me in asking you to send us this video for our viewing pleasu. . . whatever.

I think Lizzie would love it. I'm not sure it's suitable for Annie's tastes.....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

MissBeautifulRedSquirrel
Merry Man

#60 Post by MissBeautifulRedSquirrel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:10 am

gsabc wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13
Are there black boxes across the eyes, or did they pixellate the faces?

I hope not.... I love getting my face out there!

vettech

#61 Post by vettech » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:06 pm

AHA! I think I've realized my fatal error!

First a little background. I have a very distinctive first name. I rarely use the whole name because I've never really liked it. The shortened version is a little different, but not as much as an attention getter.

So, in my first video (which was selected) I used my full name. In the second video (which was not selected) I used the name I normally use.

I realized I had something when, after a failed in person audition, I decided to try using the full name in my next audition as an icebreaker. And indeed, it did get the AP's attention and she remarked on it (the fact the the interview quickly went downhill after that was my own fault - I just wasn't "on" that day).

Lesson learned...

eybyon

#62 Post by eybyon » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:02 pm

vettech wrote:
eybyon wrote:And if I don't get an email tomorrow, I wonder if I should call them back and ask them if I passed the first test back in July... :?:
I called this morning and they called back a few hours later...only to inform me that I was not in the pool after having taken the online test in July and that I was not selected for the test in August. :cry: I found it interesting that before the lady looked me up in their system for my official status she said I probably wasn't in the pool if I had not received a call from them by now...seems to imply that a majority of those that did pass the test got an invitation to NYC for the primetime shows and for daytime season 8.

So vettech, you going to try calling them too? And to all those taking the test tomorrow, best of luck and have fun!!!

hanzz

#63 Post by hanzz » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:47 pm

vettech wrote:AHA! I think I've realized my fatal error!

First a little background. I have a very distinctive first name. I rarely use the whole name because I've never really liked it. The shortened version is a little different, but not as much as an attention getter.

So, in my first video (which was selected) I used my full name. In the second video (which was not selected) I used the name I normally use.

I realized I had something when, after a failed in person audition, I decided to try using the full name in my next audition as an icebreaker. And indeed, it did get the AP's attention and she remarked on it (the fact the the interview quickly went downhill after that was my own fault - I just wasn't "on" that day).

Lesson learned...
Interesting that you should mention this. In the very first interview I had with an AP, one point that took up about half the conversation was how interesting my name (first and last) was. I think that played a part in me getting a video interview, during which the video guy also made a point of mentioning my name. In my first two home audition videos I've emphasized my name quite prominently, but instead of just my first and last, I've said my entire 5-word name that takes about 5 seconds to say. I'm wondering now if that's overkill.
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

Jeemie

#64 Post by Jeemie » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:22 am

hanzz wrote:
vettech wrote:AHA! I think I've realized my fatal error!

Lesson learned...
Interesting that you should mention this. In the very first interview I had with an AP, one point that took up about half the conversation was how interesting my name (first and last) was. I think that played a part in me getting a video interview, during which the video guy also made a point of mentioning my name. In my first two home audition videos I've emphasized my name quite prominently, but instead of just my first and last, I've said my entire 5-word name that takes about 5 seconds to say. I'm wondering now if that's overkill.
What the heck's you name?

Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore?

:lol:

vettech

#65 Post by vettech » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:23 am

eybyon wrote:
vettech wrote:
I called this morning and they called back a few hours later...only to inform me that I was not in the pool after having taken the online test in July and that I was not selected for the test in August. :cry: I found it interesting that before the lady looked me up in their system for my official status she said I probably wasn't in the pool if I had not received a call from them by now...seems to imply that a majority of those that did pass the test got an invitation to NYC for the primetime shows and for daytime season 8.

So vettech, you going to try calling them too? And to all those taking the test tomorrow, best of luck and have fun!!!
I probably won't bother to call, then. I tried calling a couple of weeks ago and didn't hear back. Thanks for your report. I still find it frustrating that they didn't have some mechanism in place to notify people one way or the other like they do with the in person audition.

They must've had a really high passing score - as best as I could figure, I only missed 2 questions! I know I've missed more than that on the in person test and still passed. :x

Jeemie

#66 Post by Jeemie » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:38 am

BTW- question about the test.

The normal test- with questions that have been on the show in the past (usually mid-tier level)?

It just suddenly dawned on me that I have not taken a WWTBAM audition-style test in 8 years! I even had a dream about the test last night- dreamed the interface was really counter-intuitive, and I couldn't figure out how to lock in my answers!

I haven't had a dream like that since college!

vettech

#67 Post by vettech » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:39 am

Jeemie wrote: The normal test- with questions that have been on the show in the past (usually mid-tier level)?
yes

Jeemie

#68 Post by Jeemie » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:03 am

vettech wrote:
Jeemie wrote: The normal test- with questions that have been on the show in the past (usually mid-tier level)?
yes
Thx.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#69 Post by Estonut » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:45 pm

Jeemie wrote:PS I wonder if Angela Watt's video was a recreation of her New Year's Eve ritual!
Re-creation? She could have just borrowed a recording from one of her neighbors!
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Phil Ken Sebbin

#70 Post by Phil Ken Sebbin » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:28 pm

vettech wrote:
eybyon wrote:
vettech wrote:

I probably won't bother to call, then. I tried calling a couple of weeks ago and didn't hear back. Thanks for your report. I still find it frustrating that they didn't have some mechanism in place to notify people one way or the other like they do with the in person audition.

They must've had a really high passing score - as best as I could figure, I only missed 2 questions! I know I've missed more than that on the in person test and still passed. :x
I'm wondering if they automatically put you into the pool if you pass the online test or is it if you do well on the test they review your video and cherry-pick who they would like to go into the pool (holy run-on sentences, Batman!). I guess we will never know.

Now time to stop hyperventilating. You guys say to breathe but I can't do that and think at the same time!
"Once had an awkward moment, just to see how it felt."

"I had a wonderful time, but this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx

"Oooohhh, you wascally wabbit!" - Elmer Fudd

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#71 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:51 pm

chipotle
Mirakech
gsabc
drew scheeler
Phil Ken Sebbin
Jeemie
PanicinDetroit

Highlight to view entire list.
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

gsabc

#72 Post by gsabc » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:08 pm

Phil Ken Sebbin wrote:I'm wondering if they automatically put you into the pool if you pass the online test or is it if you do well on the test they review your video and cherry-pick who they would like to go into the pool (holy run-on sentences, Batman!). I guess we will never know.
Here are the rules for video auditions, straight from the website - http://www.millionairetv.com/special/on ... index.html Note the last line.

As far as I'm concerned, we have every right to be pissed. I can't believe that ALL of us would have this problem. But then, I couldn't believe it when some of us did the first time around.
---------------------------------------------------------

VIDEO SUBMISSIONS

Video submissions for Who Wants To Be A Millionaire will be accepted from
9 AM ET on August 10, 2009 through 12 midnight ET on August 24, 2009.
Producer will review videos and select those to advance to an online test on Friday, August 28, 2009. Those persons receiving a passing score on the online test will be placed into the Video Submission Pool. Producer will select entrants from Pool to receive an Eligibility Call. Those who complete the call and meet all eligibility requirements will be declared Finalists and travel to New York City with a friend for the opportunity to play for a chance to sit in the hot seat on daytime syndicated episodes of the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire ("Program").

Registration
Persons submitting videos must be a registered user of www.millionairetv.com. If you are already registered and logged on you will be automatically directed to the Video Submission instructions page. People who have registered with the Disney family of sites (Disney.com, abc.com) can log in and enter their member name and password. All others will first be required to register. You may become a registered member by completing (and thereafter transmitting) the registration form. There is no fee to register.

Your Video
The video should offer compelling reasons why you would make a good contestant and what you would do with the $1,000,000. Only one (1) video submission per person. Videos must not exceed two (2) minutes in length.

Videos can be formatted as a 3GP, AVI, DV, h264, MPEG2, MPEG4, QuickTime or WMV. Be sure to read the instructions on the submission entry pages carefully. All information must be entered correctly for your video to be considered. Videos will NOT be returned and become property of Valleycrest Productions Ltd.

Online Test
The online test will be given on Friday, August 28, 2009 between the hours of 7 PM ET and 10 PM ET. Persons selected to take the test will be notified by email and given the test site URL and time of their test session. The notification will be sent to the email address provided for this purpose during the video submission process. People who receive a passing score on the test will be put into the Contestant Pool for two years, for possible selection to play on the daytime edition of the Program.

andyrinny

#73 Post by andyrinny » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:12 pm

gsabc wrote: Note the last line.
I'm missing it. Which last line?

gsabc

#74 Post by gsabc » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:18 pm

andyrinny wrote:
gsabc wrote: Note the last line.
I'm missing it. Which last line?
People who receive a passing score on the test will be put into the Contestant Pool for two years, for possible selection to play on the daytime edition of the Program.
I'm sure they won't ever state the passing score, any more than they do with the in-person test. 0/0 obviously isn't it, but the second zero is the operative one right now for the group of us.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#75 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:39 pm

chipotle
Mirakech
gsabc
drew scheeler
Phil Ken Sebbin
Jeemie
PanicinDetroit
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson