Transcript 12/19/2007 - Amanda Liang (carryover contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 12/19/2007 - Amanda Liang (carryover contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:24 pm

Amanda Liang
New York City, NY

Amanda is a homemaker and her husband Adrian is in the relationship seat. Their baby is due in a few months. It's a boy but they don't want to share the name in front of a national audience. She's been focused on the show; after it's over she can focus on the baby.

Amanda has all of her lifelines available.

$300 - Made from a hollowed-out tree trunk, a dugout is a type of what seafaring vessel?

A - submarine
B - raft
C - barge
D - canoe

$500 - Which of these entries from the Cassell Dictionary of Slang means "very closely"?

A - like a baby's bottom
B - like white on rice
C - like a bump on a log
D - like a dog in shoes

$1K - Due to the uplifting sendoff it provides, which of these Dr. Seuss books is a traditional gift for high school graduates?

A - Yertle the Turtle
B - Oh, the Places You'll Go!
C - Horton Hatches the Egg
D - Bartholomew and the Oobleck

Meredith asks if when Amanda gets excited the baby kicks. Amanda replies that the baby's probably asleep. "We must be boring him," Meredith quips.

$2K - What U.S. state has two Congressional districts, with Portland in one and Bangor in the other?

A - Kansas
B - West Virginia
C - Maine
D - Idaho

$4K - A popular Spanish nickname, "El Jefe" literally means what?

A - the lover
B - the doctor
C - the cowboy
D - the boss

Amanda knows this because her father is called this at his company.

$8K - In math, the approximate value of pi is always used to calculate which of the following?

A - volume of a pyramid
B - surface area of a sphere
C - area of a parallelogram
D - volume of a cube

ATA results:

A - 19%
B - 67%
C - 3%
D - 11%

That wasn't the one that Amanda was leaning toward. She decides to go with the audience's answer.

$16K - Which of these Denzel Washington movies is not based on a true story?

A - Remember the Titans
B - Antwone Fisher
C - Cry Freedom
D - Mo' Better Blues

Commercial break

Amanda says this is one of the highlights of her life, especially meeting Meredith. Amanda keeps a blog - her family and friends are mostly in California and she wanted a way to keep them up to date. She tracks celebrity citings - she's seen 17 but Meredith is the highlight.

$25K - What nation freed itself from Communist rule in 1989 through a peaceful uprising called the "Velvet Revolution"?

A - Romania
B - Yugoslavia
C - Czechoslovakia
D - Hungary

Amanda immediately asks to use her Phone-a-Friend and call Katie, her best friend. Amanda simply asks, "What country had the Velvet Revoltuion?" then spells "velvet". She reads the answers. Katie says, "Czechoslovakia". Amanda asks, "How sure are you?" Katie answers, "Still checking...I feel pretty good about Czechoslovakia." Amanda goes with that answer.

$50K - Wnen performing the Valsalva maneuver, people often do which of the following?

A - elevate their legs
B - lie on their stomachs
C - pinch their noses
D - interlace their fingers

Amanda has no idea so she switches the question.

$50K (STQ) - Of the 192 member states of the United Nations, which was admitted most recently?

A - Tuvalu
B - Montenegro
C - Switzerland
D - Serbia

Amanda asks for the 50/50, leaving B and C. It's a free guess and Amanda says, "It's such an oddball guess that I'm going to guess C, Switzerland." She leaves with $25K.

ANSWERS:
$300 - D (canoe)
$500 - B (like white on rice)
$1K - B (Oh, the Places You'll Go!)
$2K - C (Maine)
$4K - D (the boss)
$8K - B (surface area of a sphere)
$16K - D (Mo' Better Blues)
$25K - C (Czechoslovakia)
$50K - C (pinch their noses)
$50K (STQ) - B (Montenegro)

Snaxx

#2 Post by Snaxx » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:01 pm

BB Flashback - they must like to ask pi-related questions at this level. Which one has a circle involved?

First season Syndie
CARRYOVER CONTESTANT

Barbara Vollick (BarbLee61)
Chula Vista, CA
Medical transcriber

16000- The value pi is required to calculate which of the following?
A. Area of a trapezoid B. Area of a triangle
C. Volume of a pyramid D. Volume of a cone

(answered correctly w/o a lifeline)

silverscreenselect

Re: Transcript 12/19/2007 - Amanda Liang (carryover contesta

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:25 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:[$50K (STQ) - Of the 192 member states of the United Nations, which was admitted most recently?

A - Tuvalu
B - Montenegro
C - Switzerland
D - Serbia
And the one before that was Tonga, the subject of the infamous Katy Knudsen 500K question. How time flies.

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:47 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Amanda Liang
New York City, NY
WE®

$25K: I was leaning toward Hungary, but I would've PAFed.
Hopefully, he/she would lead me away from that.

$50K: NAFC®... switch.

$50K #2: I also thought it was Switzerland, so I'm gone with $25K.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:32 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Amanda Liang
New York City, NY

Amanda is a homemaker and her husband Adrian is in the relationship seat. Their baby is due in a few months. It's a boy but they don't want to share the name in front of a national audience. She's been focused on the show; after it's over she can focus on the baby.
OK, she's a WE/WE® with the #3 hook - stay-at-home (future) mom.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - In math, the approximate value of pi is always used to calculate which of the following?

A - volume of a pyramid
D - volume of a cube

ATA results:

A - 19%
B - 67%
C - 3%
D - 11%

That wasn't the one that Amanda was leaning toward. She decides to go with the audience's answer.
OK, so which one was she considering? elwing joked that since "pi are squared", maybe it was D.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - What nation freed itself from Communist rule in 1989 through a peaceful uprising called the "Velvet Revolution"?

A - Romania
B - Yugoslavia
C - Czechoslovakia
D - Hungary

Amanda immediately asks to use her Phone-a-Friend and call Katie, her best friend. Amanda simply asks, "What country had the Velvet Revoltuion?" then spells "velvet". She reads the answers. Katie says, "Czechoslovakia". Amanda asks, "How sure are you?" Katie answers, "Still checking...I feel pretty good about Czechoslovakia." Amanda goes with that answer.
Hmmm...do you suppose Katie was Googling the answer? FWIW I did and the first entry on the page mentioned Dubcek and Czechoslovakia.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K - Wnen performing the Valsalva maneuver, people often do which of the following?

A - elevate their legs
B - lie on their stomachs
C - pinch their noses
D - interlace their fingers

Amanda has no idea so she switches the question.
I don't have any idea, either. My youngest son, who was considering the medical profession, did know it. I'd have gone with either PAF or STQ since ATA and 50/50 won't help. Let's say I STQ.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K (STQ) - Of the 192 member states of the United Nations, which was admitted most recently?

A - Tuvalu
B - Montenegro
C - Switzerland
D - Serbia

Amanda asks for the 50/50, leaving B and C. It's a free guess and Amanda says, "It's such an oddball guess that I'm going to guess C, Switzerland." She leaves with $25K.
And I'd have gone home with $25K also, believing that it was Switzerland. I thought I remembered reading about their entry recently, noteworthy because of their neutral stance over the centuries.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

peacock2121

#6 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:38 am

I looked it up - seems Switzerland joined in 2002.

jarnon

#7 Post by jarnon » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:09 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - Which of these Denzel Washington movies is not based on a true story?

A - Remember the Titans
B - Antwone Fisher
C - Cry Freedom
D - Mo' Better Blues
I know Titans was a true story. ATA
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - What nation freed itself from Communist rule in 1989 through a peaceful uprising called the "Velvet Revolution"?

A - Romania
B - Yugoslavia
C - Czechoslovakia
D - Hungary
Romania, Czechoslovakia and Hungary all overthrew the Communists around that time, but Romania wasn't so peaceful. PAF
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K (STQ) - Of the 192 member states of the United Nations, which was admitted most recently?

A - Tuvalu
B - Montenegro
C - Switzerland
D - Serbia
I know this because it was a "Future BAM Question" on our previous Bored. I posted a follow-up question in that thread:

Which of these is another name for Montenegro?

A - Hrvatska
B - Crna Gora
C - FYRM
D - Shqiperize

Many Bored Buddies knew the answer. I learned a lot about Montenegro and the other countries by reading their responses.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:34 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$8K - In math, the approximate value of pi is always used to calculate which of the following?

A - volume of a pyramid
D - volume of a cube

ATA results:

A - 19%
B - 67%
C - 3%
D - 11%

It wasn't, Amanda? Oh those wicked, wicked question writers and their math questions! :twisted:

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Amanda says this is one of the highlights of her life, especially meeting Meredith. Amanda keeps a blog - her family and friends are mostly in California and she wanted a way to keep them up to date. She tracks celebrity citings - she's seen 17 but Meredith is the highlight.
Great. Let's blog about those meaningless celebrity encounters the APs love so much. :roll:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $25K - What nation freed itself from Communist rule in 1989 through a peaceful uprising called the "Velvet Revolution"?

A - Romania
B - Yugoslavia
C - Czechoslovakia
D - Hungary

Nice googling teamwork, Katie and Amanda!

The Velvet Revolution was followed by the Velvet Divorce, when the Czech Republic and Slovakia split on January 1, 1993.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:36 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:[$50K (STQ) - Of the 192 member states of the United Nations, which was admitted most recently?

A - Tuvalu
B - Montenegro
C - Switzerland
D - Serbia
And the one before that was Tonga, the subject of the infamous Katy Knudsen 500K question. How time flies.
My first reaction was that they'd actually repeated this question from prime time, before I realized that Montenegro was a new one!

Time marches on...