Transcript 12/20/07 - Maurie Bosse

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 12/20/07 - Maurie Bosse

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:14 pm

Maurie Bosse
Oviedo, FL
Psychologist

Maurie and her husband would like a hot tub, which will cost $8,000. They've already hired a contractor.

$100
"Peck on the cheek" is a phrase that commonly refers to a brief and casual what?

A: Handshake B: Apology
C: Kiss D: Kick in the butt

$200
What sunny U.S. state is the country's largest supplier of grapefruit?

A: Kansas B: Florida
C: North Carolina D: New Mexico

$300
Stores promote gifts for "Dads and grads" to commemorate celebrations that typically occur in what month?

A: June B: August
C: October D: November

$500
Vanishing cream is a beauty aid that serves the same purpose as which of these products?

A: Moisturizer B: Shampoo
C: Mascara D: Deodorant

$1,000
What is the first name of the pop singer whose legions of devotees are known as "Fanilows"?

A: Wayne B: Neil
C: Barry D: Tom

$2,000
"Dandle board" is a regional nickname for what popular playground attraction?

A: Merry-go-round B: Sandbox
C: Monkey bars D: Seesaw

$4,000
"Broadcast Yourself" is the slogan of what popular Web site?

A: Wikipedia.org B: Match.com
C: Craigslist.org D: YouTube.com

$8,000
Edwin H. Land is best known for inventing a type of what?

A: Microwave oven B: Polygraph machine
C: Instant camera D: Artificial heart

$16,000
Which of the following comprises the longest distance?

A: One foot plus one meter B: Two meters plus one inch
C: One meter plus one yard D: One yard plus two feet

Maurie is terrible with metrics. She asks the audience, saying "Many heads are better than one."

ATA: A: 2% B: 48% C: 30% D: 20%

PAF: Maurie calls Greg, the smarter brother of one of her good friends.

Greg: Well it's either the second one or third one. A meter is about 39 inches, so you said--

Maurie: Five seconds.

Greg: The third one is the one with one meter and one yard--

Maurie: Well, we've got a little bit of a discrepancy there. Let's do the 50/50, please.

50/50 leaves B & D.

-- Commercial Break --

Oviedo is just outside of Orlando.

$25,000
Miss Universe 2007 hails from what country?

A: South Africa B: Japan
C: Brazil D: Russia

Maurie has absolutely no idea, so she going to take her $16,000 and buy her hot tub.

Answers:
$100: C: Kiss
$200: B: Florida
$300: A: June
$500: A: Moisturizer
$1,000: C: Barry
$2,000: D: Seesaw
$4,000: D: YouTube.com
$8,000: C: Instant camera
$16,000: B: Two meters plus one inch
$25,000: B: Japan

Kazoo65

#2 Post by Kazoo65 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:25 pm

I was doing fine until that math question for $16K. Ugh! What lifeline do I use? ATA might not help, 50/50 won't, so maybe I PaF.

The next one was even worse. ATA here and hope.
I'm just a game show nerd.

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:30 pm

Kazoo65 wrote:I was doing fine until that math question for $16K. Ugh! What lifeline do I use? ATA might not help, 50/50 won't, so maybe I PaF.
The problem with using the PAF is that there's not a lot of time for the PAF to note down all those choices or do all the calculations in his head. Greg appeared to be still clarifying two of the choices when time ran out.

But, in this case, he did give Maurie the information she needed to figure it out on her own: "A meter is about 39 inches." Either that didn't register with her or she still didn't want to attempt the calculation.

Would you have been able to work out the answer with that data, Kazoo?

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:56 am

Once the PaF told her how long a meter is....... give me a break.

Unless, she didn't know a yard is 36 inches - can someone not know that?

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 12/20/07 - Maurie Bosse

#5 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:05 am

$25K: I don't watch Miss Universe, so I would've asked the audience.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:38 am

Here's an article about Maurie's appearance.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entert ... cho-1.html
Maurie Bosse said she'd use her winnings for a hot tub, and she collected $16,000 on the "Who Wants to Be a Millioinaire" that aired Thursday. But those winnings? The Oviedo psychologist says she used them to buy new furniture and redecorate the family room.
What's that? No hot tub? But that was the only thing you talked about!

And you already had a contractor hired and everything. :(
"I thought I did great," Bosse told me Thursday. "I wish I'd used my lifelines a little better. I guess I was a little nervous."
Or you could have figured it out without any lifelines.

Appa23

#7 Post by Appa23 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:35 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:$25K: I don't watch Miss Universe, so I would've asked the audience.
Luckily, I do flip by MTV, in order to see if they might be playing music for once.

They repeatedly showed previews of a new reality show about Miss Universe, Miss USA, and Miss Teen USA sharing their NYC apartment. The former Miss USA, drunk girl Tara, also lives there.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:24 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Maurie Bosse
Oviedo, FL
Psychologist

Maurie and her husband would like a hot tub, which will cost $8,000. They've already hired a contractor.
If I ever get on another game show and win big money, this is something I'd definitely purchase.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2,000
"Dandle board" is a regional nickname for what popular playground attraction?

A: Merry-go-round B: Sandbox
C: Monkey bars D: Seesaw
What region does this come from?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000

Maurie is terrible with metrics. She asks the audience, saying "Many heads are better than one."

Greg: Well it's either the second one or third one. A meter is about 39 inches, so you said--

Maurie: Well, we've got a little bit of a discrepancy there. Let's do the 50/50, please.

50/50 leaves B & D.
This seems relatively easy as long as you know that a meter is longer than a yard.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000
Miss Universe 2007 hails from what country?

A: South Africa B: Japan
C: Brazil D: Russia

Maurie has absolutely no idea, so she going to take her $16,000 and buy her hot tub.
No idea, and I wouldn't be certain that the audience would, either, so it might be time to PAF.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

tanstaafl2

#9 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:06 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Maurie Bosse
Oviedo, FL
Psychologist

$16,000

50/50 leaves B & D.

Well, that was just awful. Fitting that she bombed out on the next Q after wasting every single lifeline on that question.

If you don't know it you don't know might seem reasonable on a lot of questions but if you don't at least know the difference between a meter and yard perhaps you shouldn't go on a trivia game on National TV.

Just a thought.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

ghostjmf

#10 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:42 am

2K: Never heard this phrase in my life ('til now), but can only be one. Kind of a "Highlander" answer.

16K: The only conversion factor I'm even close to knowing here is between inches & centimeters, so I was trying to remember if there are "not quite 2" centimeters/inch, or "more than 2". I got answers B & C, I think. Would have 50/50ed.

25K: ATA time.

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:02 am

Under a column titled "This Just In," they say
A Seminole County woman appeared on an episode of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire ? that aired Thursday morning on WFTV-Chanel 9. Maurie Bosse of Oviedo used all three lifelines on the $16,000 question before correctly picking which was the longest of four measurement combinations.
No mention of this being a repeat of a December episode. :roll:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/communit ... 0777.story

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

#12 Post by Here's Fanny! » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:45 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:Well, that was just awful. Fitting that she bombed out on the next Q after wasting every single lifeline on that question.
Why is it fitting? What does Miss Universe have to do with the metric system?
tanstaafl2 wrote:If you don't know it you don't know might seem reasonable on a lot of questions but if you don't at least know the difference between a meter and yard perhaps you shouldn't go on a trivia game on National TV.

Just a thought.
How very Logan's Run of you.

Signed,

Somebody Who Doesn't Know the Difference Between a Meter and a Yard Unless You're Talking about Poetry and Lawns

PS Don't cry, Snoop, I still love you!
Spoiler
I'm darned good and ready.

Four Hour Stiffy
Merry Man

#13 Post by Four Hour Stiffy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:52 am

Here's Fanny! wrote:Somebody Who Doesn't Know the Difference Between a Meter and a Yard Unless You're Talking about Poetry and Lawns

The difference is one little blue pill, Babe!
BOOOIIIIIINNNGGGGG!!!!!

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

#14 Post by Here's Fanny! » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:56 am

Four Hour Stiffy wrote:
Here's Fanny! wrote:Somebody Who Doesn't Know the Difference Between a Meter and a Yard Unless You're Talking about Poetry and Lawns

The difference is one little blue pill, Babe!
The thought of Bob Dole with over three feet of dick is kind of icky. Somebody pry that bottle out of his hand!
Spoiler

tanstaafl2

#15 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:19 pm

Here's Fanny! wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:Well, that was just awful. Fitting that she bombed out on the next Q after wasting every single lifeline on that question.
Why is it fitting? What does Miss Universe have to do with the metric system?
Well, since this was December and remembering this morning is already getting to be a challenge I probably can't say with certainty. However, I suspect that it had nothing to do with the subject of the question as much as it had to do with the fact that, for me at least, since she blew a chance at 25K guaranteed and a shot for more by wasting every single lifeline that I honestly regard as a question someone going on a trivia show ought to know it was somehow fitting.

That or I was feeling a bit peevish that particularly afternon. Probably something to do with the shortness of the day...

Here's Fanny! wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:If you don't know it you don't know might seem reasonable on a lot of questions but if you don't at least know the difference between a meter and yard perhaps you shouldn't go on a trivia game on National TV.

Just a thought.

Signed,

Somebody Who Doesn't Know the Difference Between a Meter and a Yard Unless You're Talking about Poetry and Lawns

Well, of course you do! Indeed, how could you not? I am pretty darn appealing!

Of course, had you gone on a trivia show and still not known the difference between a non poetic meter and a non lawn yard, as painful as it might have been, I would have had to still be very disappointed...

As to Logan's Run I am still working on that reference, unless by that you mean she should have been put out of her misery, and mine, for her failure to know the distinction between a meter and a yard.

Hmm, I must say that is an intriguing notion...

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

#16 Post by Here's Fanny! » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:44 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:
Here's Fanny! wrote:

Just a thought.

Signed,

Well, of course you do! Indeed, how could you not? I am pretty darn appealing!

Of course, had you gone on a trivia show and still not known the difference between a non poetic meter and a non lawn yard, as painful as it might have been, I would have had to still be very disappointed...

As to Logan's Run I am still working on that reference, unless by that you mean she should have been put out of her misery, and mine, for her failure to know the distinction between a meter and a yard.

Hmm, I must say that is an intriguing notion...
Honestly, I think I would have been able to figure it out with less than three lifelines. A can be discarded as long as you know the difference between a foot and a yard (which I do know, ha!). D I would discard just because I know a meter can't be that short. I 'probably' would have chosen B for the wrong reason. That reason being that I thought a meter was a lot longer than a yard, like three times as long. So I might have thought I was being tricked and have to use a lifeline. Luckily you would be on my PAF list and could answer the question and still have 26.33 seconds left to berate me on being a dumdum.

As for Logan's Run, my meaning was that saying someone shouldn't be on a game show if they don't know the metric system is a short step away from saying someone shouldn't be living once they achieve old age. Which, as we all know, is 28.

PS You're on your own with the metric system, but you can call me if you need to know Napoleone Buonaparte's mother's maiden name. Ha!
Spoiler

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#17 Post by sunflower » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:02 pm

The way I would have handled that PAF call (had I used that lifeline, which I personally would not have) would have been to say how long is a yard in inches and how long is a meter in inches. Then after we hung up I would have calculated it. It's too confusing to try to hear the answers and calculate them in 30 seconds, but to ask it that way is straightforward and would give you the necessary information to figure out the answer.

tanstaafl2

#18 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:11 pm

Here's Fanny! wrote: PS You're on your own with the metric system, but you can call me if you need to know Napoleone Buonaparte's mother's maiden name. Ha!
I shall keep that ever present in my mind should I need to know that bit of information.

However, I suspect there are oh so many more bits of information that you could impart to me that I have an overwhelming need and desire to know.

Won't you come over and whisper them ever so softly in my ear...

~Mark Twain

~tanstaafl2

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

#19 Post by Here's Fanny! » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:24 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:
Here's Fanny! wrote: PS You're on your own with the metric system, but you can call me if you need to know Napoleone Buonaparte's mother's maiden name. Ha!
I shall keep that ever present in my mind should I need to know that bit of information.

However, I suspect there are oh so many more bits of information that you could impart to me that I have an overwhelming need and desire to know.

Lean in real close so you'll be able to hear my softly dulcet tones as I whisper
Spoiler
Letizia Ramolino.

Was it good for you?
Spoiler

tanstaafl2

#20 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:39 pm

Here's Fanny! wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:

Lean in real close so you'll be able to hear my softly dulcet tones as I whisper
Spoiler
Letizia Ramolino.

Was it good for you?
Oh yes, yes, yes!!!! AAAAH!!!

~Mark Twain

~tanstaafl2

MarleysGh0st

#21 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:20 am

Here's Fanny! wrote:As for Logan's Run, my meaning was that saying someone shouldn't be on a game show if they don't know the metric system is a short step away from saying someone shouldn't be living once they achieve old age. Which, as we all know, is 28.
No, Logan's Run stands for TPTB's opinion about who should be game show contestants. :evil: