Al Gore wins Nobel Peace Prize

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
jarnon

Al Gore wins Nobel Peace Prize

#1 Post by jarnon » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:45 am

Environmental activist Gore now has a Nobel Peace Prize to go along with his Oscar and Emmy. He shares the prize with the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Mr. Gore will donate his half of the prize money to another organization that fights global warming, the Alliance for Climate Protection.

Jeemie

Re: Al Gore wins Nobel Peace Prize

#2 Post by Jeemie » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:29 am

jarnon wrote:Environmental activist Gore now has a Nobel Peace Prize to go along with his Oscar and Emmy. He shares the prize with the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Mr. Gore will donate his half of the prize money to another organization that fights global warming, the Alliance for Climate Protection.
Ah, yes...the organizers of the "Live Earth" concerts that burned up tons and tons of fossil fuels while decrying the evils of using fossil fuels.

Sorry...not impressed.
1979 City of Champions 2009

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#3 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:35 am

jarnon wrote:Environmental activist Gore now has a Nobel Peace Prize to go along with his Oscar and Emmy.
All he needs now is a Grammy and a Tony.

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:37 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
jarnon wrote:Environmental activist Gore now has a Nobel Peace Prize to go along with his Oscar and Emmy.
and The White House.

Jeemie

#5 Post by Jeemie » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:38 am

peacock2121 wrote: and The White House.

Please, God, no!!!
1979 City of Champions 2009

eyégor
???????

#6 Post by eyégor » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:41 am

I have trouble taking the supporters of any position seriously when they shout you down just for questioning the validity of that position.

Why are these staunch defenders of science so afraid of the scientific method?

& jeemie, perhaps you would prefer Obamarama??

Appa23

#7 Post by Appa23 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:42 am

Actually, with the topsy-turvy nature of this season, plus the media love affair with him, he now is the odds-on favorite for the Heisman.

BTW, how exactly does railing about global warming bring about peace? I can see the connection for hunger relief and debt relief, but I just do not see the rationale for global warming and the Peace Prize.

Maybe it was the committees's way of saying, "Well, if Gore had won in 2000, then the US would not have taken action in Iraq, so let's throw him a bone."

themanintheseersuckersuit

#8 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:44 am

Gore Wins Nobel Prize, High Court Gives It to Bush
by Scott Ott · 16 Comments

(2007-10-12) — Although former Vice President Al Gore won the Nobel Peace Prize this week for his work as a global-warming performance artist, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled early today that President George Bush would receive the gold medal, the diploma and the $750,000.

Mr. Bush, who was narrowly defeated by Mr. Gore in the 2000 presidential election, thanked Justices John Roberts and Samuel Alito “for swinging the vote my way, and helping me to join the pantheon of great Nobel laureates like Jimmy Carter and the late Yassir Arafat who together brought peace to the middle east.”

Mr. Gore could not be reached for comment as he was returning from Oslo, Norway, in a private jet. However, his spokesman said that his efforts to bring peace on earth speak for themselves.

“Thanks to Al Gore’s movies, speeches and books,” said the unnamed spokesman, “Terrorists and tyrants around the world will soon lay aside the weapons of war and give peace a chance by working together to develop a hybrid car that runs on cheap, clean-burning gunpowder.”

http://www.scrappleface.com/?p=2730

MarleysGh0st

Appa23

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:48 am

Are you a new BB we should welcome, Appa23, or are you an old friend who's decided to use a new handle?

Shade

#10 Post by Shade » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:53 am

I heard somewhere that the Nobel prize is a 1 Billion dollar award, did I hear wrong and it's actually a 1 Million dollar prize?

I'm surprised Al Gore won it, I thought I was going to get it this year ;)

EDIT: never mind it's a Million, what I originally thought was that 1 Billion dollars was split between all 5 categories and all 5-15 winners. I should have known that was silly.
Last edited by Shade on Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

Re: Appa23

#11 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:53 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Are you a new BB we should welcome, Appa23, or are you an old friend who's decided to use a new handle?
Old friend.

lb13

Appa23

#12 Post by Appa23 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:55 am

Littlebeast, you are misusing your power as administrator.

Appa23

#13 Post by Appa23 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:56 am

Marley, I thought that the picture would have been a hint.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#14 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:57 am

Appa23 wrote:Littlebeast, you are misusing your power as administrator.
Nope. Nothing wrong with looking at the email addresses, and yours gave it away...

lb13

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#15 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:58 am

Well, that and the avatar... and the response to Bix....

lb13

MarleysGh0st

#16 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:02 am

Appa23 wrote:Marley, I thought that the picture would have been a hint.
A little hard to see the details in the avatar.

Is that Jack? Excuse me, I mean mature and serious John! :)

Sir_Galahad

#17 Post by Sir_Galahad » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:26 am

jarnon wrote:Environmental activist Gore now has a Nobel Peace Prize to go along with his Oscar and Emmy. He shares the prize with the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Mr. Gore will donate his half of the prize money to another organization that fights global warming, the Alliance for Climate Protection.
This has to be the first time the award has been given to someone who bases his thinking and pursuits on junk science. There is no proof that man has caused any changes in the earth's climate. Climate has been cycling for milennia and will continue to go through these cycles for milennia to come. Now, if they were to give him the award based on his efforts to help preserve the earth's resources, I could see that. They might as well have given him the award because he invented The Internet.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

peacock2121

#18 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:30 am

NellyLunatic1980

#19 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:53 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
Didn't Al Gore win a Grammy for the spoken word version of one of his books?

For some odd reason, Mr. VP is now the favorite to win the World Series MVP trophy...

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#20 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:22 pm

HoltDad414 wrote:BTW, how exactly does railing about global warming bring about peace? I can see the connection for hunger relief and debt relief, but I just do not see the rationale for global warming and the Peace Prize.
The committee reasoned that global warming will cause mass dislocations and serious (often violent) competition for resources. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

mrkelley23

#21 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:09 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
HoltDad414 wrote:BTW, how exactly does railing about global warming bring about peace? I can see the connection for hunger relief and debt relief, but I just do not see the rationale for global warming and the Peace Prize.
The committee reasoned that global warming will cause mass dislocations and serious (often violent) competition for resources. --Bob
The committee also apparently reasoned that any way to smack down Pres. Bush must be a good thing.

I have my own thoughts on global warming/climate change, but this prize is a farce, much worse than the Oscar.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

wintergreen48

#22 Post by wintergreen48 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:55 pm

The Nobel Peace Prize is kind of funky: sometimes it does indeed go to people who actually 'work for peace,' often at great personal risk from those who do not want peace (Betty Williams and Maired Corrigan in Northern Ireland come to mind, as do Anwar Sadat and Menachem Begin-- Sadat of course was murdered by his own people, precisely because he tried to reach a peaceful settlement with Israel, whose name his murderers won't even speak), sometimes it seems to be given just to encourage people to 'work for peace' (Yassir Arafat as a peacemaker??? ARAFAT???), and sometimes it seems to be given to be given to reward people for 'good works.' Gore's award is in that last category: while you can make the argument that doing 'good works' will itself result in a more peaceful world (or remove certain things which are conducive to war), that is a pretty tenuous argument, and I don't think that it is what Nobel had in mind when he endowed the award.

It could be worse: sometimes the award is given just to tick someone off-- usually someone in the US. Was Gorbachev really the greatest worker for peace in 1990? The best thing that he did was that he presided over the fall of the Soviet Empire, and that took place despite his efforts to preserve it. I think that he received the world, in large part, in order to poke a finger in the eye of the US, especially Ronald Reagan, who opposed the Soviet Empire.

But sometimes the finger gets poked the other way as well. Lech Walesa received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1983, and clearly, his efforts and those of the movement he led actually increased tensions, and actually led to military crackdowns, rather than leading to peace, except in the sense of the long term effect that the resistance to the Soviet Empire did, eventually, lead to its dissolution. So that was a poke in the eye at the Commies.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#23 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:34 pm

To get the sour taste out of my mouth I sent climateaudit.org some oil free money to support the updating of the tree ring proxies. I feel better now.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

peacock2121

#24 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:05 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
The committee also apparently reasoned that any way to smack down Pres. Bush must be a good thing.

I have my own thoughts on global warming/climate change, but this prize is a farce, much worse than the Oscar.
I don't get it.

How can HoltDad be quoted in this thread when Appa whatever posted?

TheCalvinator24

#25 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:07 pm

some funny looking bird wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:The committee reasoned that global warming will cause mass dislocations and serious (often violent) competition for resources. --Bob

I don't get it.

How can HoltDad be quoted in this thread when Appa whatever posted?
Do you get it now?
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore