Transcript 12/21/2007 - Tony Chin-Quee

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 12/21/2007 - Tony Chin-Quee

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:06 am

Tony Chin-Quee
Brooklyn, NY
Occupation

Tony had a special way he wanted to come out onstage. He is very much into the art of vocal percussion, AKA "beat boxing" for those not initiated. He wanted to drop something on the audience but wanted to make sure Meredith was down with partnering with him. Meredith asks if the audience can do it with her. Tony tells her to keep a basic beat and he'll jump in. The beat is "dum-dum-chish" (rather like the back beat for "We Will Rock You"). Tony adds some vocal embellishments that the transcriptionist won't even attempt to duplicate. Tony says maybe later he can do some freestyling.

$100 - In a traditional rifle salute, soldiers receive the familiar commands "Ready, aim" what?

A - Fire!
B - March!
C - Attention!
D - Do the hustle!

$200 - Common among schoolchildren, a "pinky swear" is an oath sealed by two people locking what together?

A - little fingers
B - index fingers
C - middle fingers
D - ring fingers

$300 - Which of the following is not a common idiom?

A - as the crow flies
B - curiosity killed the cat
C - beat a dead horse
D - sick as a dolphin

$500 - The title of the movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's" refers to a world-famous what?

A - grocery store
B - jewelry store
C - toy store
D - pet store

$1K - For which of these performers is an esophageal perforation a common occupational hazard?

A - ballet dancer
B - sword swallower
C - mime
D - classical conductor

Tony's dean at medical school wouldn't let him come back if he got this one wrong.

Commercial break

Tony is a Harvard undergraduate and is now a medical student at Emory University in Atlanta. He doesn't know what kind of doctor he wants to be although he's thought about being a surgeon. Meredith says that since he knows the esophagus he might want to consider EMT. Tony's friend Melanie is in the relationship seat. He calls her his "good luck charm" because when they're together good things happen for him.

$2K - What type of company is the U.S. corporation whose name is an acronym meaning "Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle"?

A - car maker
B - health provider
C - Internet search engine
D - bank

Tony says one good thing about Harvard is learning big words, so he knows what an acronym is.

$4K - What classic American automotive brand produced its final car, an Alero, in 2004?

A - Pontiac
B - Oldsmobile
C - Cadillac
D - Buick

Tony doesn't know so he's going to ask the audience.

ATA results:

A - 19%
B - 72%
C - 3%
D - 6%

Tony likes that number a lot so he's going to go with that answer because the audience is so sure.

$8K - In your home, which of the following would be the most appropriate place for a candlestick?

A - in a sconce
B - on a valence
C - in the wainscotting
D - on an escutcheon

Tony doesn't know any of these words so he wants to call Marcus, his younger brother. Meredith says to Marcus that Tony's hoping that he can come through for him. Marcus says, "If I do come through for him then he can buy me that iPhone." Tony chuckles and says, "That's a possibility." Tony shortens the question and reads the four answers. With 9 seconds to go Marcus asks for the choices again. Just as time runs out Marcus says "sconce". "Are you sure?" Tony asks. "No," Marcus replies as the call ends. "Oh, snap!" says Tony. But he decides to go with his brother's answer. Meredith does the fake-out by saying, "I'm sorry, Tony...you owe your brother an iPhone."

Commercial break

$16K - Victoria Harbor lies between the Kowloon Peninsula and what bustling Asian city?

A - Seoul
B - Bangkok
C - Tokyo
D - Hong Kong

Tony says, "Here's the deal with Kowloon." It's the name of a restaurant in Massachusetts; his friend Matt lives in Tsaugas and would always say, "Let's go to Kowloon" where they served lots of Chinese food. Notwithstanding that, Tony asks for the 50/50, leaving A and D.

Meredith says, "I can't believe you got that from the name of a restaurant in Tsaugas."

$25K - Of what novel did its author famously state, "I aimed at the public's heart, and by accident I hit it in the stomach"?

A - The Jungle
B - Invisible Man
C - Lolita
D - Portnoy's Complaint

Tony says he may be completely nuts but "you only live once" and "you only go around one time" and he's pretty sure it's "The Jungle". So he makes that his final answer, then shrinks down in his seat before Meredith tells him he's right.

Commercial break

Meredith asks if Tony really felt in his heart that it was "The Jungle". Tony said it was one of those books he was supposed to read but didn't, but he did get the gist of it. Meredith says either that or Melissa really is his good luck charm. Medical school is very expensive and if he wins the million he would like to pay off his debts and help pay for his younger brothers who are in college.

$50K - The "Creation of Adam" on the Sistine Chapel's ceiling depicts God and Adam almost touching which two of their outstretched hands?

A - God's left and Adam's left
B - God's left and Adam's right
C - God's right and Adam's left
D - God's right and Adam's right

Tony would guess that Adam was at the right hand of God but he really doesn't know, so he asks to switch the question.

$50K (STQ) - Short for "Confederatio Helvetica," the Internet domain suffix ".ch" is for Web sites registered in what country?

A - Luxembourg
B - the Netherlands
C - Switzerland
D - Czech Republic

Tony thinks he knows what it's referring to but it's because of the font that he has in his computer. It's the only place he's seen the word "Helvetica". It's a free guess and if he's wrong it's been pretty sweet. He picks "A" as his final answer and leaves with $25K.

ANSWERS:
$100 - A (Fire!)
$200 - A (little fingers)
$300 - D (sick as a dolphin)
$500 - B (jewelry store)
$1K - B (sword swallower)
$2K - C (Internet search engine)
$4K - B (Oldsmobile)
$8K - A (in a sconce)
$16K - D (Hong Kong)
$25K - A (The Jungle)
$50K - C (God's right hand and Adam's left)
$50K (STQ) - C (Switzerland)

ghostjmf

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:47 am

16K: When I was working for a Mafia-owned company (no, they don't advertise that way) they gave us all Christmas bonuses of a meal at the Kowloon. Actually, they gave them to some other restaurant that was originally down the hill from the Kowloon, which replaced it; it may have had a different name. Would that they would instead have given us actual wages, forget the meal bonuses. Especially since many of us non-car-owners had to beg rides to get up to Saugus to eat the meals; some just didn't.

If you've eaten there (or at its precursor) you know its a Chinese restaurant. So why oh why oh why use up the 50/50???

(The late Massachusetts politician Paul Tsongas would probably have gotten a big kick out of the transcriber calling that town "Tsaugus", even though he was from Lowell, pronounced "Lowl", himself.)

50K: I would waste a lot of time picturing the scene & then give up & STQ. I'm too dyslexic for this one.

STQ 50K: A gift. I thought it was for the contestant, too, the way he was speaking, until he got it wrong.

earendel

Re: Transcript 12/21/2007 - Tony Chin-Quee

#3 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:36 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Tony Chin-Quee
Brooklyn, NY
He's a WE® and, given his musical tendencies, I thought he'd end up being a WE/WE® but he's actually a medical student (perhaps another WE-in-the-making).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - In your home, which of the following would be the most appropriate place for a candlestick?

A - in a sconce
B - on a valence
C - in the wainscotting
D - on an escutcheon

Tony doesn't know any of these words so he wants to call Marcus, his younger brother. Meredith says to Marcus that Tony's hoping that he can come through for him. Marcus says, "If I do come through for him then he can buy me that iPhone." Tony chuckles and says, "That's a possibility." Tony shortens the question and reads the four answers. With 9 seconds to go Marcus asks for the choices again. Just as time runs out Marcus says "sconce". "Are you sure?" Tony asks. "No," Marcus replies as the call ends. "Oh, snap!" says Tony. But he decides to go with his brother's answer. Meredith does the fake-out by saying, "I'm sorry, Tony...you owe your brother an iPhone."
In D&D a sconce is what holds a torch - it's the only answer that makes sense.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - Of what novel did its author famously state, "I aimed at the public's heart, and by accident I hit it in the stomach"?

A - The Jungle
B - Invisible Man
C - Lolita
D - Portnoy's Complaint

Tony says he may be completely nuts but "you only live once" and "you only go around one time" and he's pretty sure it's "The Jungle". So he makes that his final answer, then shrinks down in his seat before Meredith tells him he's right.
An oblique shout-out to Cal.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K - The "Creation of Adam" on the Sistine Chapel's ceiling depicts God and Adam almost touching which two of their outstretched hands?

A - God's left and Adam's left
B - God's left and Adam's right
C - God's right and Adam's left
D - God's right and Adam's right

Tony would guess that Adam was at the right hand of God but he really doesn't know, so he asks to switch the question.
Wow - it's a very familiar image, but who could picture it under pressure? Got is on the right and Adam on the left, so it's probably God's right hand. Try the 50/50 and see which two remain. I've actually seen the Sistine Chapel in person.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K (STQ) - Short for "Confederatio Helvetica," the Internet domain suffix ".ch" is for Web sites registered in what country?

A - Luxembourg
B - the Netherlands
C - Switzerland
D - Czech Republic

Tony thinks he knows what it's referring to but it's because of the font that he has in his computer. It's the only place he's seen the word "Helvetica". It's a free guess and if he's wrong it's been pretty sweet. He picks "A" as his final answer and leaves with $25K.
There was a similar J! question not too long ago.

And now we're into reruns for the holiday season, so no transcripts.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."