B4 Team-Check In

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bixby17

B4 Team-Check In

#1 Post by Bixby17 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:44 am

So how did you do with your health and fitness stuff and whatnot?

Feel free to blather.

Make it all about you, because I really want to know how you are all doing.

I am in treading water mode. I think I would feel better when I am fitter. (And certainly, I won't be horrified that the pants shrinking elves came into my closet over the summer and done shrunk up all my winter clothes). Sometimes when I feel this way, it means that I need to get new running shoes. I know I need to get new shirts to workout in because my rotation of shirts is getting pretty tired. I have a hard time finding stuff that fits me though, because so many of the fitness shirt things are too short waisted.

MarleysGh0st

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:57 am

Terrible week. I didn't get to the gym at all and I've been staying up too late and not getting enough sleep. (Yes, I've started another Civ III game. Damned electronic addiction...)

At least I'm still getting some B4 Team points, with another weekend of the booksale starting tomorrow, and lots more books left to bring out from storage in my section.

And apples are back in season, so I'm bringing those in for my afternoon snack, instead of raiding the vending machine for a bag of chips.

Today's weight = 193.0. Moving average = 192.8.

D'oh! I forgot to bring in my apple, today! :x

peacock2121

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:00 am

I am feeling strong and yet fluffy. I still have pain in my elbow that prevents me from doing push-ups and weights. I have noticed the 52 year old waving upper arm.

kusch

#4 Post by kusch » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:11 am

Well last week's Dr. appointment went fine, I was down in weight from the last visit--but I still have more to get back to where I want to be.

Blood pressure was the best it has been in quite awhile.

He chewed my a** about the puffing. Shocker.

We are still managing to play golf (game has been non-good last few rounds) here as the temps have been in the 50s and 60s, but this next week will be the end of it as I leave on the 21st for our cruise. When we get back the end of Oct I am sure the clubs will be put away for the winter.

peacock2121

#5 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:13 am

kusch,

Do you have an interest in being a non-smoker?

gsabc

#6 Post by gsabc » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:15 am

Doing better. The soreness from the weekend's fence destruction has pretty much subsided. I think it was literally a case of "that which does not destroy us makes us stronger." Fence destroyed, me stronger.

Standing up straighter and generally trying to present a more positive attitude. Good for the audition next week, and I intend to maintain it well beyond that. I've always been a bit reticent (look it up for your word-of-the-day) in my initial dealings with people, and need to get over that, at least temporarily.

Need more sleep, though. Evening circumstances and overall life stresses have made getting to bed and to sleep early difficult at best. It has been a real emotional and physical roller-coaster of a week for the three of us still in the house (not counting the four-leggers, who always have it good).

Elliptical is going well - daily during the week, and at least one weekend day. I traded it for the fence demolition this past weekend, though. Situps before getting on it are also going well. The number is still low, but slowly increasing. I may not get to "abs of steel", but I'll settle for some some softer metal, like 24K gold. :D
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

kusch

#7 Post by kusch » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:51 am

peacock2121 wrote:kusch,

Simple answer is yes. As you know I have made some attempts at it. I know it is up to me and until I (big I) do something about it, nothing will happen. Dr. did strongly suggest Chantix and I am giving it some thought. I destest any medication. He told me the prescription runs about $100 a month. WTF???? I only spend about $65 a month for the smokes. :lol:

Thanks for asking and your concern, I know you (and others) would love to see me stop.

ladysoleil

#8 Post by ladysoleil » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:01 am

kusch wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:kusch,

Simple answer is yes. As you know I have made some attempts at it. I know it is up to me and until I (big I) do something about it, nothing will happen. Dr. did strongly suggest Chantix and I am giving it some thought. I destest any medication. He told me the prescription runs about $100 a month. WTF???? I only spend about $65 a month for the smokes. :lol:

Thanks for asking and your concern, I know you (and others) would love to see me stop.
I feel your pain. I've tried to quit a bunch of times, some more successfully than others. I'm also on the fence about the Chantix, and after trying Zyban I'm far less inclined to want to, but I think I am going to take a shot at it. Cutting back has helped a lot, and the other things I'm doing help, but my willpower seems to swan dive off a cliff after a few weeks. Oy.

As for the rest of it, the good eating campaign is going more or less well. I did order something trashy at the bar while playing NTN on Tuesday, but I'm definitely doing better about upping the veggies and lean meats and cutting out fast food. Well, okay, I got coffee at Dunkin Donuts. Does that count? yay for some progress.

Amusingly, I'm feeling really excited about my cruise next weekend because it will be a great opportunity for me to eat well and get some gym time in. Most people go in there planning to eat like ravening animals and decimate the buffet line every night and bring bigger pants for the trip home. I actually lost about three pounds on the last cruise because of all the exercise and the great food choices. I think it's funny.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:06 am

ladysoleil wrote: I actually lost about three pounds on the last cruise because of all the exercise and the great food choices. I think it's funny.
Good for you! :)

I forget if you've mentioned this already; where are you going?

ladysoleil

#10 Post by ladysoleil » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:10 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Good for you! :)

I forget if you've mentioned this already; where are you going?
Thanks. If I keep vacationing I'll be back to a size 6 in no time. ;)

I'm going on Goth Cruise next week. We'll be going to Bermuda, I think. I have to check. That sounds crazy, but the trip is so much fun every year that most of us just book it and don't even care where the boat is going because all our friends will be there. Last year was Jamaica. Nothing like seeing hordes of black wearing blue haired combat boot people taking over the beach. It's quite a sight. :)

gsabc

#11 Post by gsabc » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:17 am

ladysoleil wrote: Nothing like seeing hordes of black wearing blue haired combat boot people taking over the beach. It's quite a sight. :)
Now I'm gonna have nightmares about this. Any photos available? I keep trying, and failing, to picture the type of swimwear that's worn.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:40 am

ladysoleil wrote:Nothing like seeing hordes of black wearing blue haired combat boot people taking over the beach. It's quite a sight. :)
I can just imagine that ship docking alongside one with the usual set of senior citizen passengers! :twisted:

ladysoleil

#13 Post by ladysoleil » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:02 am

gsabc wrote:
ladysoleil wrote: Nothing like seeing hordes of black wearing blue haired combat boot people taking over the beach. It's quite a sight. :)
Now I'm gonna have nightmares about this. Any photos available? I keep trying, and failing, to picture the type of swimwear that's worn.
We don't do beach photos. Or at least, I don't take any. No one needs to see the sun flaring off that much pasty white gothness. It's a public service, really.

The swimwear is what you'd expect, although there's probably a higher proportion of black bikinis and tanks than the general population.

A flickr search on GothCruise would probably yield hours of entertainment. I can't access that site from work but some of my own random pics are at http://www.flickr.com/people/ladysoleil

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#14 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:21 am

I am, and I will continue to be.

Ritterskoop

#15 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:25 am

I have to log my walking-around points from my last day in L.A.

I will get in some kind of hike in Phoenix the day after the game, and likely will walk around the stadium Sunday before it.

After I return, I have six weeks to get some lbage off before a doc appointment. School and work require more energy than they used to, but I chose them, so I can choose to work around them and get in some gym time.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bixby17

#16 Post by Bixby17 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:24 pm

Interesting.

I didn't know that there was such a thing as a goth cruise.

Kusch, hope you can quit the cigs on your own terms and by your own choice. Not much I can say on that other than I know it sucks to have a habit that you don't want to have.

7yrscollegedownthedrain

#17 Post by 7yrscollegedownthedrain » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:41 pm

i took the Chantix route after being a pack-a-day smoker for some 38 years - three month scrip cost around $375, but the money wasn't the issue; i wanted to quit. Still came out ahead, though; haven't bought cigs in the last 7 months
In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king...

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#18 Post by kayrharris » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:36 am

Guess I can check in on Monday since I was out of the country on Friday. Good news is I came back a pound lighter. Mostly only ate one real meal a day and did tons of walking along with a bit of running in Charles de Gaulle airport due to one delayed fight and one short connection!

Yesterday I felt like I was coming down with a cold. I took some Claritin-D last night and seem much better this morning. I've been up since 5AM so it will take me a day or two for my body to adjust back to the time zone I'm living in.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#19 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:42 am

I'm sore and tired and surviving on Tylenol, caffeine, leftover pizza, and Snickers.

But that was because I had a pack of 8th-grade boys sleep over Saturday. They had a blast. The house is still standing. The only reason I am not deaf yet is because the electronics were confined to the room over the garage.

My son would only do it again on a smaller scale. He's a fast learner, that son of mine....