The world apparently has shut down.

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

The world apparently has shut down.

#1 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:54 am

Our ice storm arrived as scheduled. Virtually every school has shut down and every meeting canceled. I've already made the first of many quick jogs to my car to pry open the doors, in what's probably a vain hope to keep the doors from freezing shut more tightly than a bank vault. So far, no branches are in danger of falling in my neighborhood, but electrical outages already have begun in the western part of the state.

Since the precipitation may continue for another 24-36 hours, it may get bad -- enough so that the OKC TV stations are including progress reports on shipments of generators to various retail stores as news stories. The most interesting thing I've seen so far in television coverage is film of a vehicle crossing an overpass in Midwest City. The driver appeared to be going slowly, but his car suddenly made a 360-degree spin, and he immediately continued moving forward.

The White Hot Glare of Righteous Indignation machine appears to have stopped working completely. Maybe it needs a generator.

BTW, somebody needs to alert Jim Cantore. Later today, we've been warned, we may have

THUNDERICE!!!
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

MarleysGh0st

Re: The world apparently has shut down.

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:00 am

Yikes! A 24-36 hour ice storm? :shock:

Instead of repetitively prying open the car door, do you have a tarp or something you can throw over it? Maybe a plastic shower curtain?

If the power goes out, sounds like a good day to cuddle with your four-footers, for warmth!

Stay safe!

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#3 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:04 am

The most interesting thing I've seen so far in television coverage is film of a vehicle crossing an overpass in Midwest City. The driver appeared to be going slowly, but his car suddenly made a 360-degree spin, and he immediately continued moving forward.
Seems like the driver was watching too much of the US ice skating coverage. probably going for the pewter.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:20 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
The most interesting thing I've seen so far in television coverage is film of a vehicle crossing an overpass in Midwest City. The driver appeared to be going slowly, but his car suddenly made a 360-degree spin, and he immediately continued moving forward.
Seems like the driver was watching too much of the US ice skating coverage. probably going for the pewter.
He should have tried a double axel.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#5 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:26 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Instead of repetitively prying open the car door, do you have a tarp or something you can throw over it? Maybe a plastic shower curtain?

If the power goes out, sounds like a good day to cuddle with your four-footers, for warmth!

Stay safe!
Although I think the tarp idea sounds good (or, in my situation, my painting dropcloth,) I can't figure out any way to keep it in place when the wind blows. There's no way, for example, to duct tape it to the ice that's already on the car. And, if I did figure that out, why wouldn't the whole cloth or plastic sheet freeze to the car, possibly leaving me in an even worse position?

My neighborhood has buried utility lines, so most likely I'll be okay for power. (Knock on wood.) At any rate, I kept power through the dreadful ice of December 2007. If this storm gets much worse than that, I'll have bigger problems than the state of my car doors.

The advice to cuddle with the dogs is taken every day, even when the sun is shining! :D
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:36 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Yikes! A 24-36 hour ice storm? :shock:

Instead of repetitively prying open the car door, do you have a tarp or something you can throw over it? Maybe a plastic shower curtain?

Stay safe!
I was stuck in New Albany, Mississippi for two days in 1999 thanks to an ice storm.

SC's storm is slowly heading this way. We have buried power lines; I hope the transmission lines hold.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#7 Post by kayrharris » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:45 am

It was one year ago that I was driving to Louisville during the worst ice storm they had seen in 300 years (I think that's the way
they are wording it!). Got to spend the night in Radcliffe, Ky and the room they put us in had the thermostat set on 53! It was 2AM and
room never warmed up the whole night. Once we got into Louisville, Missy and I got the very last hotel room available close to the hospital that my mother was in. It was truly a nightmare. I was never so glad to get back to warm Alabama after a week of subfreezing temps
and more ice than I ever cared to see.

Take care, SC! I feel for you.

kay

christie1111
11:11

#8 Post by christie1111 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:04 pm

And our 'dusting' of snow is more like 3 in. with lots of people struggling to safely drive due to some ice below the snow.

It came as quite a surprise to the weather forecasters of the area.

The rise to above freezing this afternoon followed by dropping to 17 tonight does not make it sound like it will be much better tomorrow.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

a1mamacat

#9 Post by a1mamacat » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:22 pm

Last winter, I sprayed the edges of my doors with non stick cooking spray. Worked like a charm.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

christie1111

#10 Post by christie1111 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:31 pm

a1mamacat wrote:Last winter, I sprayed the edges of my doors with non stick cooking spray. Worked like a charm.
WTG!

That was very clever!

SC, sounds like a plan!

christie1111

#11 Post by christie1111 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:32 pm

Maybe it is not a bad idea to put a piece of duct tape over the key hole though.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#12 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:44 pm

I think I would park the car in the garage.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

Jim Cantore
Merry Man

#13 Post by Jim Cantore » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:47 pm

silvercamaro wrote:Our ice storm arrived as scheduled. Virtually every school has shut down and every meeting canceled. I've already made the first of many quick jogs to my car to pry open the doors, in what's probably a vain hope to keep the doors from freezing shut more tightly than a bank vault. So far, no branches are in danger of falling in my neighborhood, but electrical outages already have begun in the western part of the state.

Since the precipitation may continue for another 24-36 hours, it may get bad -- enough so that the OKC TV stations are including progress reports on shipments of generators to various retail stores as news stories. The most interesting thing I've seen so far in television coverage is film of a vehicle crossing an overpass in Midwest City. The driver appeared to be going slowly, but his car suddenly made a 360-degree spin, and he immediately continued moving forward.

The White Hot Glare of Righteous Indignation machine appears to have stopped working completely. Maybe it needs a generator.

BTW, somebody needs to alert Jim Cantore. Later today, we've been warned, we may have

THUNDERICE!!!

AWESOME!!!!!!!!
OH MY GOD!!! THUNDERSNOW!!!!®

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#14 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:58 pm

silvercamaro wrote:Our ice storm arrived as scheduled. Virtually every school has shut down and every meeting canceled. I've already made the first of many quick jogs to my car to pry open the doors, in what's probably a vain hope to keep the doors from freezing shut more tightly than a bank vault. So far, no branches are in danger of falling in my neighborhood, but electrical outages already have begun in the western part of the state.

THUNDERICE!!!

Don't forget to check on other things that may freeze solid.......

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#15 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:06 pm

christie1111 wrote:
a1mamacat wrote:Last winter, I sprayed the edges of my doors with non stick cooking spray. Worked like a charm.
WTG!

That was very clever!

SC, sounds like a plan!
Saucy, this is a magnificent idea! I will buy some nonstick cooking spray the next time I go to the grocery. In the interim, however, I am tempted to spread butter or oil on the edges of my doors. If it doesn't work, it will wash off when the thaw comes, or melt off by July.

Is this a Canadian helpful hint that everyone in the Great White knows, or is this a Saucy original?

themanintheseersuckersuit

#16 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:16 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
christie1111 wrote:
WTG!

That was very clever!

SC, sounds like a plan!
Saucy, this is a magnificent idea! I will buy some nonstick cooking spray the next time I go to the grocery. In the interim, however, I am tempted to spread butter or oil on the edges of my doors. If it doesn't work, it will wash off when the thaw comes, or melt off by July.

Is this a Canadian helpful hint that everyone in the Great White knows, or is this a Saucy original?
What no WD-40 in the SC household?
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#17 Post by Estonut » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:18 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:Instead of repetitively prying open the car door, do you have a tarp or something you can throw over it? Maybe a plastic shower curtain?

Stay safe!
Although I think the tarp idea sounds good (or, in my situation, my painting dropcloth,) I can't figure out any way to keep it in place when the wind blows. There's no way, for example, to duct tape it to the ice that's already on the car. And, if I did figure that out, why wouldn't the whole cloth or plastic sheet freeze to the car, possibly leaving me in an even worse position?
How about folding the dropcloth in two and then slamming it in between the door and the frame?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#18 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:24 pm

Estonut wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:

Stay safe!
How about folding the dropcloth in two and then slamming it in between the door and the frame?
That should freeze solid and ensure the door will not be able to be opened with a crowbar.

a1mamacat

#19 Post by a1mamacat » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:25 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:
christie1111 wrote:
WTG!

That was very clever!

SC, sounds like a plan!

That might actually work better, seeing as you don't need to flip pancakes on your car door :lol:
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#20 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:28 pm

I'm looking, I'm looking. I don't necessarily have the stuff that everybody else keeps around.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#21 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:31 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
I'm looking, I'm looking. I don't necessarily have the stuff that everybody else keeps around.

lol the WD-40 Camaro
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#22 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:33 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
Whoohoo! Found some. Probably purchased about 10 years ago and imprisoned in the back corner of a cabinet's highest shelf. The WD-40 will be pleased about its sudden release to serve society, instead of time.

Bob Juch

#23 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:50 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:
Whoohoo! Found some. Probably purchased about 10 years ago and imprisoned in the back corner of a cabinet's highest shelf. The WD-40 will be pleased about its sudden release to serve society, instead of time.
Remember to squirt some in the keyholes.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#24 Post by Estonut » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:51 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:How about folding the dropcloth in two and then slamming it in between the door and the frame?
That should freeze solid and ensure the door will not be able to be opened with a crowbar.
SC is way brawnier than you...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#25 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:59 pm

The Great WD-40 Experiment is under way!

Only the driver's side door has been treated. I already was too late to open the passenger side door (at least, until my giant neighbor comes home and I can ask him nicely to give it a tug.)

But, if the driver's side door will remain unfrozen, I can always get inside and run the engine for a while to provide some thawing assistance from the inside. When the time comes. Not today.