Excel expert needed again

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Sir_Galahad

Excel expert needed again

#1 Post by Sir_Galahad » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:22 am

I am working in Excel 2000 and every time I type in an email address Excel automatically converts it to a Hyperlink. Is there anyway I can stop Excel from doing this? I know I can right-click on any of the email addresses and remove the Hyperlink but that it very time-consuming - especially when you are doing 100 or so per worksheet. Are there any settings within Excel 2000 that will turn this feature off? If not, is there any way I can load up a macro when Excel starts up that will inhibit this behavior? If you can help, thanks. If not, thanks anyway.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

slam

#2 Post by slam » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:31 am

The easiest thing that I know of is to put an apostrophe in front of it as in 'slam@slam.com

The ' won't show up and the address won't turn into a link.

tubadave
Official Bored Breaker/Fixer

Re: Excel expert needed again

#3 Post by tubadave » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:28 am

Sir_Galahad wrote:Are there any settings within Excel 2000 that will turn this feature off?
Unfortunately, no. According to what I've read, Excel 2000 doesn't provide you with any way to turn that off. That feature is included in later editions of Excel.
Sir_Galahad wrote:If not, is there any way I can load up a macro when Excel starts up that will inhibit this behavior?
Here a Microsoft support article that might help: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=233073

Method 1 is the exact same thing slam mentioned above.

Method 2 is more like what you want, but it's a little bit technical. I've never tried it before, so if you do, let me know how it goes.

:^)

Sir_Galahad

#4 Post by Sir_Galahad » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:47 am

tubadave wrote:
Sir_Galahad wrote:Are there any settings within Excel 2000 that will turn this feature off?
Unfortunately, no. According to what I've read, Excel 2000 doesn't provide you with any way to turn that off. That feature is included in later editions of Excel.
Sir_Galahad wrote:If not, is there any way I can load up a macro when Excel starts up that will inhibit this behavior?
Here a Microsoft support article that might help: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=233073

Method 1 is the exact same thing slam mentioned above.

Method 2 is more like what you want, but it's a little bit technical. I've never tried it before, so if you do, let me know how it goes.

:^)
Just after I posted this I did a little research on the Knowledge Base and found the same article. So, I tried creating the macro and having it load up when Excel starts and it seems to be working fine. So, some things that Microsoft creates do work. :?

Thanks again for the replies.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

tubadave
Official Bored Breaker/Fixer

#5 Post by tubadave » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:03 pm

Sir_Galahad wrote:So, some things that Microsoft creates do work. :?
Only when patched, which is essentially what you did. :lol:

Sir_Galahad

#6 Post by Sir_Galahad » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:48 pm

tubadave wrote:
Sir_Galahad wrote:So, some things that Microsoft creates do work. :?
Only when patched, which is essentially what you did. :lol:
And, therein lies the beauty of a company such as Microsoft. It is self-perpetuating with its myriad of users just itching for the next patch or update.

From what I have read they actually patched this in subsequent versions of Excel.