Transcript 01/08/2008 Laura Miller

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 01/08/2008 Laura Miller

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:41 pm

Laura Miller
Lake Ariel, PA
Special ed teacher

$100- The teddy bear takes its name from the nickname of what famous American?
A. Benjamin Franklin B. Theodore Roosevelt
C. Annie Oakley D. Teddy Koppel

$200- Military recruits commonly undergo a program of basic training known as what?
A. Helmet camp B. Uniform camp
C. Rucksack camp D. Boot camp

$300- In a restaurant, a counter that serves uncooked seafood is commonly referred to as a what?
A. Salt bar B. Raw bar
C. Ice bar D. Flat bar

$500- In its title, which of these hit songs uses the word "Miss" to refer to a young woman, and not as a verb?
A. Miss You Much B. I Don't Want to Miss A Thing
C. Miss Independent D. I Miss You So

$1000- The short-lived soft drink Okie Cola was bottled in what U.S. city?
A. Topeka B. Omaha
C. Tulsa D. Memphis

$2000- "Muestrame el dinero" is the Spanish translation of what well-known movie quote?
A. Go ahead, make my day B. There's no place like home
c. You can't handle the truth D. Show me the money

$4000- Which of the following is not considered an infectious disease?
A. Hemophilia B. Rabies
C. Polio D. Tuberculosis

$8000- Although its name is often used generically to refer to a faraway place, the actual Timbuktu is located where?
A. Southern Asia B. Western Africa
C. The Middle East D. The Indian Ocean

She says she is pretty sure it is Africa but uses ATA to be sure

A-15% B-79% C-3% D-3%

$16,000
In genealogical terms, your grandfather's great-great-granddaughter is best described as your what?
A. First cousin, twice removed B. Second cousin, twice removed
C. Third cousin D. Third cousin, once removed

She reasoned it out correctly and will return tomorrow.

Answers:
$100- B. Theodore Roosevelt
$200- D. Boot camp
$300- B. Raw bar
$500- C. Miss Independent
$1000- C. Tulsa
$2000- D. Show me the money
$4000- A. Hemophilia
$8000- B. Western Africa
$16K- A. First cousin, twice removed

Snaxx

#2 Post by Snaxx » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:46 pm

$1000- The short-lived soft drink Okie Cola was bottled in what U.S. city?
A. Topeka B. Omaha
C. Tulsa D. Memphis

There's another one for our Hermillion.

ImageImageImageImageImage

January 8, 2008 high temperature in Central Park, NYC 64 degrees
January 8, 2008 high temperature in San Diego, CA (airport) 55 degrees

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 01/08/2008 Laura Miller

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:31 am

$4K: No clue. Try the audience.

$16K: It's either A or C, but I can't tell one from the other. Try the PAF.

gsabc

#4 Post by gsabc » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:58 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Laura Miller
Lake Ariel, PA
Special ed teacher
I'm definitely rooting for her. BD is trained in special ed, and it's a tough job.
$16,000
In genealogical terms, your grandfather's great-great-granddaughter is best described as your what?

Yow, way undervalued IMO. When the cousins started having kids, I looked this stuff up, but wouldn't have had a clue otherwise.
Grandpa's g-g-gdaughter is two generations beyond you, so it's twice removed. Since it's granddaughter and not grandniece, I believe that makes it the first cousin instead of second.

Your first cousins are children of your parent's siblings. Their kids are your first cousins, once removed. Their kids and your kids are second cousins to each other. Their kids' kids are your first cousins, twice removed. Und so weiter.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:09 am

gsabc wrote:
$16,000

Yow, way undervalued IMO. When the cousins started having kids, I looked this stuff up, but wouldn't have had a clue otherwise.
Fairly valued for a genealogist, but tough for the general public.

Of course, there's not enough information in the question to rule out answer E: Your granddaughter. :P

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:14 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Laura Miller
Lake Ariel, PA
Special ed teacher
As always, my hat's off to teachers, and especially those who work with special needs children.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$1000- The short-lived soft drink Okie Cola was bottled in what U.S. city?
A. Topeka B. Omaha
C. Tulsa D. Memphis
I wonder how long ago that was? A Web search shows a collectible bottle from 1950, so it would have to be somewhere around that time period.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000- Although its name is often used generically to refer to a faraway place, the actual Timbuktu is located where?

A-15% B-79% C-3% D-3%
<Sigh>
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000

This, in my mind, qualifies as a WWOQ. elwing argued that in different parts of the country the terms "first cousin", "second cousin" and "removed" have different meanings. And in fact, the answer could have been "none of the above" - for instance, the "grandfather's great-great-granddaughter" could be one's own great-granddaughter. Given the confusion I'd have asked for some clarification and hope they'd throw the question out (since there's more than one answer); otherwise I'd be going straight to PAF.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

fantine33

#7 Post by fantine33 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:39 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000- Although its name is often used generically to refer to a faraway place, the actual Timbuktu is located where?

A-15% B-79% C-3% D-3%
<Sigh>
Why is this a sigh? She got it right. I would have said A because I thought Timbuktu was like around Cambodia and places like that. However, if it had been after I read the QOD answers today, I would have known because I learned that the largest river is the Niger!

I might have ATAed simply because I'm quite aware of how poor my geography skills are, especially Africa. We had geography in 7th grade and, right as we were starting Africa, the teachers went on strike. My country was the Ivory Coast, but we never ended up doing the reports. When the teachers got back we just picked up where we should have been at that point.

Luckily the audience didn't have that problem and the margin was so large that they would have bailed me out.

slam

#8 Post by slam » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:40 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
gsabc wrote:
$16,000

Fairly valued for a genealogist, but tough for the general public.

Of course, there's not enough information in the question to rule out answer E: Your granddaughter. :P
Agreed, this question isn't specific enough. I guess they're trying to cover themselves by saying "best described as". Granddaughter is a possible answer. So, is something like great-niece (if the line passes through your sibling). The basic problem is that the person in your generation that is the grandparent of the final woman is either you, your sibling or your first cousin. Only one of the possible responses works though.

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:42 am

fantine33 wrote:
earendel wrote:

A-15% B-79% C-3% D-3%
<Sigh>
Why is this a sigh? She got it right. I would have said A because I thought Timbuktu was like around Cambodia and places like that. However, if it had been after I read the QOD answers today, I would have known because I learned that the largest river is the Niger!
The <sigh> is for another contestant who knew the answer but "used a lifeline to be sure".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:44 am

Ummm, what ear said! 8)

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#11 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:46 am

fantine33 wrote:
earendel wrote:

A-15% B-79% C-3% D-3%
<Sigh>

I might have ATAed simply because I'm quite aware of how poor my geography skills are, especially Africa. We had geography in 7th grade and, right as we were starting Africa, the teachers went on strike. My country was the Ivory Coast, but we never ended up doing the reports. When the teachers got back we just picked up where we should have been at that point.

Luckily the audience didn't have that problem and the margin was so large that they would have bailed me out.
It's a sigh, because she said she was "pretty sure" before she asked for the ATA. This virtually guarantees that every undecided person in the audience will vote for whatever she said she was thinking. Since there's no way to know how much of the crowd was in that category, it renders the ATA numbers meaningless.

fantine33

#12 Post by fantine33 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:46 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
fantine33 wrote:
earendel wrote: <Sigh>
Why is this a sigh? She got it right.
The sigh is for yet another contestant using the ATA on a question that she's pretty sure about. Laura's almost certain to need that lifeline later.
Thanks, I figured it was something along those lines, like a given understanding among transcript readers (like the WE thing). I usually don't read them, so I'm not in on all the lingo.

fantine33

#13 Post by fantine33 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:49 am

silvercamaro wrote:It's a sigh, because she said she was "pretty sure" before she asked for the ATA. This virtually guarantees that every undecided person in the audience will vote for whatever she said she was thinking. Since there's no way to know how much of the crowd was in that category, it renders the ATA numbers meaningless.
Oh, yeah, I can get with this. Back when I watched, there wasn't much that would make me RME more than a mouthy contestant shooting themselves in the foot.

wintergreen48

#14 Post by wintergreen48 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:18 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$16,000
In some, um, isolated communities, your grandfather's great-great-grandaughter could be you...

ghostjmf

#15 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:08 pm

16K: Very badly worded question.

Your grandfather's great great granddaughter could be your own granddaughter. Since you, if you are female, are your grandfather's granddaughter, & 2 more "greats" give you your granddaughter. But this answer was missing.

Your grandfather's granddaughter could be your sister, as well. In which case the 2 "greats" make the person in question your great-neice. I think. Also a missing answer.

The contestant got the right answer, but its not the only right answer to the question.