Wildcats win!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#26 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:06 pm

In the end, it is the football losses that doomed Pederson. People have a way of looking past faults when things are good. However, Pederson is the guy who hired Bill Callahan, who is on his way to being the coach with the only two losing seasons since 1960 (give or take a year). Pederson is the guy who proclaimed, after a 9-3 regular season, that he would not stand ofr mediocrity or just give the Big XII to OU and Texas. He set himself up for the fall, and thousands of the Husker faithful apparently have been cheering since early this afternoon.
Thanks for the thorough explanation, Appa. (It's hard to use that name!) I hope you guys get a great replacement for him. Just don't come after our guy. :)

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#27 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:22 pm

Appa, I thought you might like the following, which I copied from the blog of an Oklahoma guy whom I know through the Gridiron Show:

As far as the firing of Nebraska's AD, it's important to me because I was born and raised in Nebraska, because Pederson canned Frank Solich, who was not only a Husker player favorite of mine, but who ended up being my school's football coach my senior year.

That fact, plus Tom Osborne's wife being my fifth grade teacher, made me feel connected to the team, but my years growing up in Nebraska coincided with the years that Nebraska was establishing itself as a force in college football.

There was something "neat" today when the guy who FIRED the Nebraska AD turned out to be the brother-in-law of a guy I played in a band with, and the husband of my 9th grade Spanish teacher.

Appa23

#28 Post by Appa23 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:10 pm

Well, once again, I was right.

Dr. Tom Osborne has taken over as interim AD.

One oft-quoted rumor is that he will be AD just long enough to train Dave Rimington to be the AD. Others think that it may be Paul Meyers.

There has been some discussions of approaching Tim Weiser or Joe Castiaglione (yep, I butchered the name, SC), among other BCS conference ADs. (Ear, I have been hearing things about Louisville's AD, as well).

Let's face it -- it is hard to say no to Tom Osborne.

Meanwhile, I wonder what is going through Billy C's mind. Hopefully, he has the intelligence to finally seek some advice from Osborne. If you have one of the better offensive minds of his day nearby, why not use it?
Last edited by Appa23 on Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#29 Post by kayrharris » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:14 pm

There are some who would deliver Jurich to you on a silver platter.

earendel

#30 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:01 am

Appa23 wrote:Well, once again, I was right.
That goes without saying... :roll:
Appa23 wrote:There has been some discussions of approaching Tim Weiser or Joe Castiaglione (yep, I butchered the name, SC), among other BCS conference ADs. (Ear, I have been hearing things about Louisville's AD, as well).
No surprise there - Tom Jurich's name comes up a lot these days. He did work a minor miracle at Louisville, turning the football team into a competitor (this year is an anomaly caused by the change in coaches). But it will be expensive to get him - Louisville's president is committed to keeping Jurich if at all possible.
Appa23 wrote:Let's face it -- it is hard to say no to Tom Osborne.
Maybe he should take the coaching reins again, rather than just be the AD.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#31 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:02 am

kayrharris wrote:There are some who would deliver Jurich to you on a silver platter.
Jurich is not the reason that Louisville isn't doing well this year. A combination of some key defensive losses and a change in coaching philosophy is the reason - the ship will be righted next year.

Appa23

#32 Post by Appa23 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:07 pm

Earendel wrote: That goes without saying... :roll:

I can't tell if you understood that my comment was tongue-in-cheek.

Me: Let's face it -- it is hard to say no to Tom Osborne.]

Ear: Maybe he should take the coaching reins again, rather than just be the AD.

Well, that might only be a short-term solution, and I do not think that he wants to return to those hours at the age of 70. (If he did, Nebraska would adopt a spread offense similar to Florida's, though)

Two interesting factoids that I discovered yesterday:

Callahan and Osborne have had the same number of non-Top 10 seasons: 4. Of course, Tom Osborne coached 21 more seasons, and had 16 straight Top ten seasons to start his HC career. (I really did not recall NU being a Top Ten team throughout the 1970s and nearly the entire 1980s. I though tthat they had a few years where 9-3 but htem lower in the rankings.)

If Frank Solich had declined the offer of taking over for Osborne, Osborne had recommended that Jim Tressel be given the job. So, Buckeye fans should thank Solich for that 2002 NC. :)

earendel

#33 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:18 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Earendel wrote: That goes without saying... :roll:

I can't tell if you understood that my comment was tongue-in-cheek.
Yes, I did. Perhaps the emoticon I chose wasn't the appropriate one.