A loss for net neutrality

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

A loss for net neutrality

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:51 am

According to this story, the D.C. Circuit has ruled that the FCC lacks authority to impose net neutrality rules. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Thousandaire

Re: A loss for net neutrality

#2 Post by Thousandaire » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:38 pm

Good! Keep the net free of gov't interference.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:22 pm

Thousandaire wrote:Good! Keep the net free of gov't interference.
That only works when customers have a realistic choice to make among Internet providers. I know that I don't -- if I want cable access at home, I have to go through Time Warner, because that's the only cable in town. Otherwise I have to settle for much slower access. (I suppose I could pay to set up a dedicated line, but that's economically impractical.)

In my view, Internet access providers have the monopoly power of utilities, and should be regulated for the same reasons. In this case, I think net neutrality is a good idea and I hope Congress acts. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#4 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:11 pm

I think I'll move to Switzerland. Riiiiicooooola!!!!!!
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

wintergreen48

#5 Post by wintergreen48 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:23 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
That only works when customers have a realistic choice to make among Internet providers. I know that I don't -- if I want cable access at home, I have to go through Time Warner, because that's the only cable in town. Otherwise I have to settle for much slower access. (I suppose I could pay to set up a dedicated line, but that's economically impractical.)

In my view, Internet access providers have the monopoly power of utilities, and should be regulated for the same reasons. In this case, I think net neutrality is a good idea and I hope Congress acts. --Bob
But.... the only reason that cable company X has a monopoly is because the local government 'gave' it to them? Is there really any reason why we could not have competing cable providers, as we have competing telephone providers?

It seems to me that 'some people' are advocating that the government get involved (with this 'net neutrality' business) in order to cure a problem that the government created. Get the government out of cable entirely, and maybe you would not need to worry about 'net neutrality'?
Innocent, naive and whimsical. And somewhat footloose and fancy-free.

Thousandaire

#6 Post by Thousandaire » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:33 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

You're no longer bound by a cable. You can get satellite internet (Hughesnet) or use a company like Clear.com (uses cell phone networks). Anyway net neutrality is about much more than that. A sure-fire way to kill innovation is with gov't regulation.

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:33 pm

Thousandaire wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

You're no longer bound by a cable. You can get satellite internet (Hughesnet) or use a company like Clear.com (uses cell phone networks). Anyway net neutrality is about much more than that. A sure-fire way to kill innovation is with gov't regulation.
No, it's to make sure the cable companies don't kill innovation.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

flockofseagulls104

#8 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:18 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Thousandaire wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:That only works when customers have a realistic choice to make among Internet providers. I know that I don't -- if I want cable access at home, I have to go through Time Warner, because that's the only cable in town. Otherwise I have to settle for much slower access. (I suppose I could pay to set up a dedicated line, but that's economically impractical.)

No, Bob. I am not commenting on this specific issue, because I haven't really looked into it. I am commenting on your last comment about it., In general, private enterprise is the only engine for innovation. Government control can only stifle innovation. The Government creates NOTHING. I believe the appropriate role of government is to regulate in a way that ensures equal opportunity for everyone, not to ensure equal results. We are giving government way too much control (actually we are letting them give themselves way too much power), and that is extremely dangerous. Why is it so difficult for you to see that?
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:26 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Thousandaire wrote:
No, Bob. I am not commenting on this specific issue, because I haven't really looked into it. I am commenting on your last comment about it., In general, private enterprise is the only engine for innovation. Government control can only stifle innovation. The Government creates NOTHING. I believe the appropriate role of government is to regulate in a way that ensures equal opportunity for everyone, not to ensure equal results. We are giving government way too much control (actually we are letting them give themselves way too much power), and that is extremely dangerous. Why is it so difficult for you to see that?
I trust the government -- who we elect -- much more than businesses who are controlled by people we don't elect (unless we buy stock in all of them and even then there are non-public cos.).
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:46 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Thousandaire wrote:
Not that I want to get into a long debate over government, but I can't let this comment pass. The method that we are using to communicate to each other (this Bored) is the result of a government innovation - the Internet.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:07 am

earendel wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: No, it's to make sure the cable companies don't kill innovation.
Not that I want to get into a long debate over government, but I can't let this comment pass. The method that we are using to communicate to each other (this Bored) is the result of a government innovation - the Internet.
Well sort of. The government (ARPA) wanted a network to interconnect the various networks their contractors (companies and universities) were using. They contracted with BBN to build it. The result was a network that connected to a minicomputer at each site. The minicomputer converted from the packet-switched protocol BBN used to whatever protocol the contractors used. Years later, TCP/IP replaced the original protocol and the verious networks used by the contractors slowly were replaced by TCP/IP as well.

You can say the government kick-started the Internet, but it took a long time to evolve to what it is today. I credit the various universities with the innovations more than the businesses.

earendel

#12 Post by earendel » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:24 am

Bob Juch wrote:
earendel wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: No, Bob. I am not commenting on this specific issue, because I haven't really looked into it. I am commenting on your last comment about it., In general, private enterprise is the only engine for innovation. Government control can only stifle innovation. The Government creates NOTHING. I believe the appropriate role of government is to regulate in a way that ensures equal opportunity for everyone, not to ensure equal results. We are giving government way too much control (actually we are letting them give themselves way too much power), and that is extremely dangerous. Why is it so difficult for you to see that?
Well sort of. The government (ARPA) wanted a network to interconnect the various networks their contractors (companies and universities) were using. They contracted with BBN to build it. The result was a network that connected to a minicomputer at each site. The minicomputer converted from the packet-switched protocol BBN used to whatever protocol the contractors used. Years later, TCP/IP replaced the original protocol and the verious networks used by the contractors slowly were replaced by TCP/IP as well.

You can say the government kick-started the Internet, but it took a long time to evolve to what it is today. I credit the various universities with the innovations more than the businesses.
But without government involvement, the development of the Internet would have been slower and we might have had competing systems (a la VHS vs. Beta) for a while.

And government innovation was responsible for the atomic bomb - not that that's much to brag about. Likewise the space program. Government does have a role to play in innovation.

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:40 am

earendel wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
earendel wrote: Not that I want to get into a long debate over government, but I can't let this comment pass. The method that we are using to communicate to each other (this Bored) is the result of a government innovation - the Internet.

But without government involvement, the development of the Internet would have been slower and we might have had competing systems (a la VHS vs. Beta) for a while.

And government innovation was responsible for the atomic bomb - not that that's much to brag about. Likewise the space program. Government does have a role to play in innovation.
There were many competing networks even after TCP/IP became the Internet protocol, e.g. AOL and CompuServe. It was the opening up of the Internet to the public that killed the other private networks. That was done by the governments who controlled the Internet at that time.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just setting the record straight.

Yes, the government's involvement has triggered much innovation and development.

Al Gore
Merry Man

#14 Post by Al Gore » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:43 am

earendel wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: No, it's to make sure the cable companies don't kill innovation.

You're welcome!

ShamelessWeasel

#15 Post by ShamelessWeasel » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:03 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:No, Bob. I am not commenting on this specific issue, because I haven't really looked into it. I am commenting on your last comment about it., In general, private enterprise is the only engine for innovation. Government control can only stifle innovation. The Government creates NOTHING. I believe the appropriate role of government is to regulate in a way that ensures equal opportunity for everyone, not to ensure equal results. We are giving government way too much control (actually we are letting them give themselves way too much power), and that is extremely dangerous. Why is it so difficult for you to see that?
Yeah. No innovation came out of NASA, or the EPA, or the NIH.

Jeemie

#16 Post by Jeemie » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:10 am

wintergreen48 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

But.... the only reason that cable company X has a monopoly is because the local government 'gave' it to them? Is there really any reason why we could not have competing cable providers, as we have competing telephone providers?

It seems to me that 'some people' are advocating that the government get involved (with this 'net neutrality' business) in order to cure a problem that the government created. Get the government out of cable entirely, and maybe you would not need to worry about 'net neutrality'?
Bumping this because I agree with it.

Why are we asking for MORE regulation to solve a problem that was created by EARLIER government regulation?
1979 City of Champions 2009

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:18 am

Jeemie wrote:
wintergreen48 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:That only works when customers have a realistic choice to make among Internet providers. I know that I don't -- if I want cable access at home, I have to go through Time Warner, because that's the only cable in town. Otherwise I have to settle for much slower access. (I suppose I could pay to set up a dedicated line, but that's economically impractical.)

Bumping this because I agree with it.

Why are we asking for MORE regulation to solve a problem that was created by EARLIER government regulation?
Actually the problem was caused by the federal government not regulating cable companies in the first place. Exclusive franchises were granted by local governments to the first cable companies. Due to acquisitions over the years we've wound up with the cable companies we now have. The cable companies are now effectively monopolies, despite the phone companies -- AT&T and Verizon -- getting into the "cable" act.

I don't see a problem with the federal government stopping the cable companies from restricting competition.

wintergreen48

#18 Post by wintergreen48 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:36 am

Bob Juch wrote:I don't see a problem with the federal government stopping the cable companies from restricting competition.

But it is not the cable companies who are restricting competition-- they can't restrict anything. It is government that is restricting competition, by giving the local cable franchise to one company, and prohibiting any oher company from entering the market.

Historically, I don't believe that anyone has ever had a monopoly, at least, not for mroe than a few days, without 'the government' helping them get it. Without government intervention ('granting' franchises; setting up artificial barriers to entry, such as licensing requirements that go well beyond any legitimate consumer protection matters; etc.), the market will not permit a monopoly: if Joe Blow were to acquire one, somehow, someone else would move in, simply because there would be money to be made, and Joe Blow's monopoly would vanish.
Innocent, naive and whimsical. And somewhat footloose and fancy-free.

Bob Juch

#19 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:46 am

wintergreen48 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:I don't see a problem with the federal government stopping the cable companies from restricting competition.

But it is not the cable companies who are restricting competition-- they can't restrict anything. It is government that is restricting competition, by giving the local cable franchise to one company, and prohibiting any oher company from entering the market.

Historically, I don't believe that anyone has ever had a monopoly, at least, not for mroe than a few days, without 'the government' helping them get it. Without government intervention ('granting' franchises; setting up artificial barriers to entry, such as licensing requirements that go well beyond any legitimate consumer protection matters; etc.), the market will not permit a monopoly: if Joe Blow were to acquire one, somehow, someone else would move in, simply because there would be money to be made, and Joe Blow's monopoly would vanish.
The cable companies are restricting competition by blocking or slowing down things that compete with them. That's what the case was about. Now they may feel they can do things like blocking Skype or Vonage.

The rationale used to have local governments grant exclusive franchises is that they didn't want everyone digging up their streets to install cables.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#20 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:42 am

wintergreen48 wrote:Without government intervention ('granting' franchises; setting up artificial barriers to entry, such as licensing requirements that go well beyond any legitimate consumer protection matters; etc.), the market will not permit a monopoly: if Joe Blow were to acquire one, somehow, someone else would move in, simply because there would be money to be made, and Joe Blow's monopoly would vanish.
I don't think this is entirely accurate. There are certainly some fields in which barriers to entry (often, but not always, economic) are sufficiently high that a monopoly, once acquired, becomes extremely difficult to break. --Bob

Thousandaire

#21 Post by Thousandaire » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:06 pm

Bob Juch wrote: Actually the problem was caused by the federal government not regulating cable companies in the first place. Exclusive franchises were granted by local governments to the first cable companies. Due to acquisitions over the years we've wound up with the cable companies we now have. The cable companies are now effectively monopolies, despite the phone companies -- AT&T and Verizon -- getting into the "cable" act.

I don't see a problem with the federal government stopping the cable companies from restricting competition.
The cable companies are no longer calling the shots. There are alternative ways to connect to the internet (satellite, cell phone networks). In fact the cable companies will probably be out of the ISP business (via their cables) soon.

earendel

#22 Post by earendel » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:12 pm

Thousandaire wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: Actually the problem was caused by the federal government not regulating cable companies in the first place. Exclusive franchises were granted by local governments to the first cable companies. Due to acquisitions over the years we've wound up with the cable companies we now have. The cable companies are now effectively monopolies, despite the phone companies -- AT&T and Verizon -- getting into the "cable" act.

The cable companies are no longer calling the shots. There are alternative ways to connect to the internet (satellite, cell phone networks). In fact the cable companies will probably be out of the ISP business (via their cables) soon.
I doubt it - the speed and reliability of cable puts it ahead of either of the other alternatives.

TheConfessor

#23 Post by TheConfessor » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:19 pm

wintergreen48 wrote:But it is not the cable companies who are restricting competition-- they can't restrict anything. It is government that is restricting competition, by giving the local cable franchise to one company, and prohibiting any oher company from entering the market.
You seem to be referring to federal and municipal regulations as the same "government." On a national basis, this growing cable company may provide a good alternative:
http://www.kabletown.com/

Bob Juch

#24 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:00 pm

Then there's the National Broadband Plan:

http://www.broadband.gov/issues/economi ... unity.html

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#25 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:07 am

wintergreen48 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

Apparently, until the Bush Administration, the FCC treated Internet access services as common carriers and regulated them accordingly. Just as bus companies or phone companies, say, need to take all comers, so too did Internet access providers. Then the Bush Administration tried deregulation, and suddenly they wanted to start charging more to disfavored Web sites.

In the article I've linked above, Professor Crawford advocates redesignating Internet access providers as telecommunications services. That makes sense to me. --Bob