North American Open Pairs

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

North American Open Pairs

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:28 pm

I'll be playing tomorrow in the District semifinals of the North American Open Pairs. Atypically for me, I'll be playing Flight B. That's because I'm using my regular partner tomorrow, and I have saved Flight A for the local pro with whom I've started to play.

So perhaps tomorrow I'll finally qualify for the second day of a multiday event. I'll let you know when I get back. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#2 Post by hermillion » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:02 pm

"Sit with the bathtub."

"A peek in the hand is worth two finesses."

I admit to never having played a single hand of bridge in my life, but those are the two pieces of advice I remember hearing from my card shark Mother. So, I bequeath them to you.

Best of luck tomorrow!
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

Re: North American Open Pairs

#3 Post by cindy.wellman » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:21 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I'll be playing tomorrow in the District semifinals of the North American Open Pairs. Atypically for me, I'll be playing Flight B. That's because I'm using my regular partner tomorrow, and I have saved Flight A for the local pro with whom I've started to play.

So perhaps tomorrow I'll finally qualify for the second day of a multiday event. I'll let you know when I get back. --Bob
Bob - You have such a full life. Many years from now I'm sure you'll look back and be most pleased with all that you've accomplished.

kusch

#4 Post by kusch » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:39 am

Good luck Bob!! I look forward to hearing the results!!

I did not play this event this year because of timing issues with our District finals. I should be able to give it a go again next year.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:05 am

hermillion wrote:"Sit with the bathtub."
So what does that mean?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#6 Post by hermillion » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:30 am

According to my mom, "Sit with the bathtub" was used when one was playing in someone's home. The seat on the side of the table that would have correlated to being seated in the bathtub of the home was supposed to be the lucky position. Of course, this was in the '50s when folks generally didn't have multiple bathrooms!
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:49 pm

Bob78164 wrote:So perhaps tomorrow I'll finally qualify for the second day of a multiday event. I'll let you know when I get back.
Nope. It wasn't even close. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#8 Post by silvercamaro » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:54 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:So perhaps tomorrow I'll finally qualify for the second day of a multiday event. I'll let you know when I get back.
Nope. It wasn't even close. --Bob
Next time!

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#9 Post by hermillion » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:38 pm

Well, crud! I guess the forum didn't have tubs in the restrooms?

Wait'll next time!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:01 pm

silvercamaro wrote:Next time!
Next time will be November. Then, instead of playing Flight B with my regular partner, who will never be much of a player, I'll be playing Flight A with the local pro with whom I'm starting to form a partnership. The competition will be much stiffer, but I still have significantly more hope that I'll finally break this streak. --Bob