Okay, I'm getting ready

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

Okay, I'm getting ready

#1 Post by gsabc » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:28 pm

Clothes for three days, check.
Audit paperwork, check.
Pens, check.
Notebook, check.
Toiletries and such, check.

Plain dark shirt (medium green), check.
Big smile, check.
Answers for the questionnaire, check.
Fast answers for the AP, I hope.
Brain, allotment of one, preferably operational, check.

Leaving Tuesday at 12:45. Arriving NYC 7:30 AM Thursday. Leaving triumphantly 7:15 PM.

gs

Just keep breathing - Gimli
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#2 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:01 pm

Remember this is show biz, so

Break a leg!
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Shade

#3 Post by Shade » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:06 pm

Getting ready for what? are you going to be on Millionaire?

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:04 am

Shade wrote:Getting ready for what? are you going to be on Millionaire?
No, he's going to audition on Wednesday. I mean Thursday.
Last edited by MarleysGh0st on Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#5 Post by kayrharris » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:24 am

Good luck! Don't be nervous, after all you're a game show veteran. :)

gsabc

#6 Post by gsabc » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:58 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Shade wrote:Getting ready for what? are you going to be on Millionaire?
No, he's going to audition on Wednesday. I mean Thursday.
Yup, Wednesday work, Thursday play. Auditing a vendor in PA first, then traveling back through NYC to audition and watch a taping.

Meanwhile, the feces hit the ventilator late last Friday, and I need to work on our investigation today. So much for a little extra studying on old questions and new interview responses.

tlynn78

#7 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:57 am

Don't forget - at the end of your interview, reach out and MAKE the AP shake your hand and tell them thanks for their time. It's a nice way to stand out from the crowd. Break a leg!

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

fuzzywuzzy

#8 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:03 am

Merde & Break a leg Gordon!

We will be waiting anxiously for a report from you upon your return!

Hope that you have a blast!

fuzzy 8)
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:07 am

tlynn78 wrote:Don't forget - at the end of your interview, reach out and MAKE the AP shake your hand and tell them thanks for their time. It's a nice way to stand out from the crowd. Break a leg!

t.
And smile! Be a grinning fool!

Break a leg!

PlacentiaSoccerMom

Re: Okay, I'm getting ready

#10 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:35 am

Green is a good color for shirts!

Break a leg!

gsabc

#11 Post by gsabc » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:41 pm

Any last minute advice? Do they throw any oddball questions at you (ones that aren't on the questionnaire, or "squashed hamster" types)? I blew my one previous audition by wearing the wrong clothes (don't ask; it was an attempt at humor that was stupid and failed miserably) and being flustered by the abrupt and unexpected questions that were tossed at me. I've solved the clothing issue, but prefer to be prepared for interviews, job or other type.

I'm around till about 10:30 AM tomorrow. Thank you for your help and good wishes.

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:49 pm

gsabc wrote:Any last minute advice? Do they throw any oddball questions at you (ones that aren't on the questionnaire, or "squashed hamster" types)?
Sonny hasn't been an AP for a long time; the others don't go for the squashed hamster type of question. But they may not even glance at the third page of your application before they starting to talk to you.

"Tell me about yourself."

"Are you excited to be here?"

I am always coming up with answers I should have given, a day after the opportunity passes. If you can "wow" them with an answer to any of the most mundane questions they could ask, you'll be fine.

Is that a little too negative for a message of encouragement? Sorry...

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:08 pm

gsabc wrote:Any last minute advice? Do they throw any oddball questions at you (ones that aren't on the questionnaire, or "squashed hamster" types)? I blew my one previous audition by wearing the wrong clothes (don't ask; it was an attempt at humor that was stupid and failed miserably) and being flustered by the abrupt and unexpected questions that were tossed at me. I've solved the clothing issue, but prefer to be prepared for interviews, job or other type.

I'm around till about 10:30 AM tomorrow. Thank you for your help and good wishes.
If they throw you a cure-ball question, laugh while you figure out the answer. Seriously.

TheCalvinator24

#14 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:10 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
gsabc wrote:Any last minute advice? Do they throw any oddball questions at you (ones that aren't on the questionnaire, or "squashed hamster" types)? I blew my one previous audition by wearing the wrong clothes (don't ask; it was an attempt at humor that was stupid and failed miserably) and being flustered by the abrupt and unexpected questions that were tossed at me. I've solved the clothing issue, but prefer to be prepared for interviews, job or other type.

If they throw you a curve-ball question, laugh while you figure out the answer. Seriously.
But try not to laugh like Hillary.

:twisted:
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Catfish

#15 Post by Catfish » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:32 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:Don't forget - at the end of your interview, reach out and MAKE the AP shake your hand and tell them thanks for their time. It's a nice way to stand out from the crowd. Break a leg!

t.

Break a leg!
These two have given the most excellent advices. Keep smiling! Look 'em in the eye. Be pleasant. Act as if they, not you, are the ones to be put at ease. It's your attitude not the substance that's important. In both my BAM and my J! interviews I conveyed utterly mundane (OK, possibly inane) information in the cheeriest of ways.

Practice putting people at ease on the vendor in PA. In fact, use your whole trip to make small talk. Take advantage of every opportunity to chat with people: the cab driver, the book and magazine vendor at the airport, your seatmate, restaurant servers, people at the hotel. Well, you get it. Tell people you're trying out for Millionaire. They'll be fascinated.

You're a wonderful person, and you deserve success. I'm a little rusty, but I'd be happy to be a member of Team Gordo. Have a wonderful trip.

Love,
Catfish

Catfish

#16 Post by Catfish » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:01 pm

Catfish wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

t.

Break a leg!
These two have given the most excellent advices. Keep smiling! Look 'em in the eye. Be pleasant. Act as if they, not you, are the ones to be put at ease. It's your attitude not the substance that's important. In both my BAM and my J! interviews I conveyed utterly mundane (OK, possibly inane) information in the cheeriest of ways.

Practice putting people at ease on the vendor in PA. In fact, use your whole trip to make small talk. Take advantage of every opportunity to chat with people: the cab driver, the book and magazine vendor at the airport, your seatmate, restaurant servers, people at the hotel. Well, you get it. Tell people you're trying out for Millionaire. They'll be fascinated.

You're a wonderful person, and you deserve success. I'm a little rusty, but I'd be happy to be a member of Team Gordo. Have a wonderful trip.

Love,
P.S. Go read the advice some dude posted in the second message in the "Need advice...should I or shouldn't I?" thread
Catfish

gsabc

#17 Post by gsabc » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:28 pm

Catfish wrote:P.S. Go read the advice some dude posted in the second message in the "Need advice...should I or shouldn't I?" thread
LOL! Yes, I plan on taking my own advice. I'm in QA, whose motto is "continuous improvement". In other words, learn from your mistakes.

gsabc

Buh-bye!

#18 Post by gsabc » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:56 am

Me gone.

Further description for anyone else there on Thursday morning - tall, bald on top, beard with more salt than pepper, mustache (still dark, but working on going gray as well), metal-rimmed glasses, toting a shoulder bag and dragging a carry-on sized suitcase. Come on up and introduce yourself!

Bixby17

#19 Post by Bixby17 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:22 pm

Have fun with the interview and let them know you are having fun.

Nice smile. :D

ladysoleil

#20 Post by ladysoleil » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:44 pm

Catfish wrote: Practice putting people at ease on the vendor in PA. In fact, use your whole trip to make small talk. Take advantage of every opportunity to chat with people: the cab driver, the book and magazine vendor at the airport, your seatmate, restaurant servers, people at the hotel. Well, you get it. Tell people you're trying out for Millionaire. They'll be fascinated.

Love,
I love/hate that part. I'm pretty good at being chatty and friendly and I really like talking to people but I feel like a show dog when I do it on purpose. Yikes, all the smile, make eye contact, don't fidget, don't do the psycho snort laugh if something's funny, don't do the nervous laugh when nothing's funny, sit up straight, fetch, beg... ;) Makes me (more?) crazy.

Best of luck!

mrkelley23

#21 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:11 pm

I don't have anything to add (other than my thoughts with you) but I just want to see the little paper icon wiggle.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#22 Post by AnnieCamaro » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:48 pm

ladysoleil wrote:
I love/hate that part. I'm pretty good at being chatty and friendly and I really like talking to people but I feel like a show dog when I do it on purpose. Yikes, all the smile, make eye contact, don't fidget, don't do the psycho snort laugh if something's funny, don't do the nervous laugh when nothing's funny, sit up straight, fetch, beg... ;) Makes me (more?) crazy.
Me, too, but somebody always gives me a cookie when it's over.

/:P\
Sou iu koto de.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#23 Post by AnnieCamaro » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:58 pm

I've never auditioned for anything, or been a show dog, either, for that matter. Still, I watch the Animal Planet, so if auditioning for Millionaire is like showdogging, maybe I can offer some helpful advice to Mr. gs and others who might audition in the future.

Annie's Showdog Audition Rules:

1. Wear your prettiest collar and make sure your fur is nicely brushed.

2. Keep your tongue in your mouth when you smile.

3. When you walk up to the judge, stand tall and lift your chin.

4. Demonstrate your best tricks, but only when you're asked.

4. Don't chase anybody's pet cat, even as a joke.

5. Don't stop to lick your own rear end, even when it really needs it.

I hope this will be helpful. Good luck at your audition, Mr. gs!
Sou iu koto de.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#24 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:59 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:I don't have anything to add (other than my thoughts with you) but I just want to see the little paper icon wiggle.
I think that requires 25 replies.

Good luck, Gordon! --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

themanintheseersuckersuit

#25 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:34 pm

Re: Annie's Rule No. 5

Oh, so THAT'S why I keep getting the :cry: postcards
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.