Observations June 13, 2014 - Freegan

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Observations June 13, 2014 - Freegan

#1 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:47 am

I thought I could make it as a freegan, eating three or four meals a week at business and social event snack tables, but I discovered very quickly that the menus provided a fast track to excessive consumption of refined carbohydrates and fats and very little high quality protein and fresh vegetables, and I gave up the idea within two weeks.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: Observations June 13, 2014 - Freegan

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:11 am

freegan (NEW WORD ADDED for 2014)

an activist who scavenges for free food (as in waste receptacles at stores and restaurants) as a means of reducing consumption of resources

This is an awful word; I hope it drops out of the dictionary soon. I wouldn't mind if crowdsource and crowdfund stayed in, though. They're very descriptive of new phenomena.

I guess freegan is also, as a combination of free and vegan, but to me it sounds more like a combination of freeloader and vegan, probably not the image that freegans want to portray.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller