What are you reading?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
marrymeflyfree

What are you reading?

#1 Post by marrymeflyfree » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:08 pm

Obligatory: _The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth_ by Henci Goer

Fun: _The Robber Bride_ by Margaret Atwood

The Goer book is eye opening. She is biased against hospital births in the absence of complications and makes no apologies for it, but she backs it up with sound data. I think it would be a difficult book for an OB to read.

The Atwood book is, as they always are, spectacular. I can't wait to dig deeper into it. Every time I read one of her books, I'm always a little sad when they end. She has been my favorite fiction writer for years.

Spock

#2 Post by Spock » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:20 pm

Strange Empire- An older book about the Metis Rebellion

After that I think a book by a guy who walked across Borneo.

gsabc

#3 Post by gsabc » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:42 pm

Just finished Stardust by Neil Gaiman, preceded by Ken Fisher's investment book The Only Three Questions That Count.

Got three books from co-workers over the holidays. Mitch Albom's "for one more day", "Mindless Eating" by Brian Wansink, and Bob Harris's "Who Hates Whom". Will be working on those before hitting the library again.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Bixby17

#4 Post by Bixby17 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:46 pm

Henci Goer's book rocks, though she can kind of freak you out a little bit.

I am an extremely fast reader, and read just about every book in the Barnes and Noble about giving birth and raising childrens. Because I am a bit of a control freak about certain important things. (I learned that odd people hang out at B&Ns sometime--I reported to management two guys who were self-fondlers. Ew. It's weird reporting that sort of thing).

In any event, the best best book I read about giving birth was this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Active-Birth-Appr ... 1558320385

By far.

Originally, I thought I was going to go for a Bradley birth, but I found that though there was interesting things about the Bradley stuff, I thought a lot of it was crap. Like the laboring position that the Bradley people tend to advocate hurts like crap. I went to a Lamaze class, and that stuff is total crap and a half.

For me, the best stuff I learned I pretty much self-taught from the Active Birth book and some self-hypnosis. That the idea of "contractions" sounds painful and awful. For me, I tried to think of childbirth pain as a good thing--that it is not pain for pain sake, but it is part of a happy process of getting your baby. And instead of thinking of "contractions", I just mentally thought of the word "release." And thought of open, relaxing thoughts during each contraction.

A lot of time your response to pain is a reflection of your attitude towards it. Grossness alert....I tried to think of the labor pain as really bad BM pain, only I get a baby out of it. Everybody has dealt with bad BMs, so you can deal. I think our culture freaks moms out about something that has been a natural thing since the beginning of humankind.

I think the best invention ever would be a fetal monitor that is more reliable while you are moving around. The most painful position to be in labor in is lying still on your back, but that is exactly what they want you to do to make the fetal monitor work.

I was able to do intermittant monitoring, but my doc needed some persuading. He also was freaked out at how relatively quiet I was during labor and joking and stuff between contractions. I was able to choose a hospital where I could do a lot of laboring in the shower and on a large exercise ball. The exercise ball was nice because it let you move into positions where things weren't as uncomfortable.

I ended up using a doula. She was great because though she is not a medical professional, she has been around births, helped me get comfortable, and because she was there, I think the nurses gave me a little more privacy. My husband loved her because she made me feel better, and he didn't know how to do that because it was new to him too.

Sorry about the digression. I also like the Penelope Leach books on childhood development. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penelope_Leach Your Baby and Child and Babyhood. Even my husband liked them.

As for what I am reading now, nothing.

I need to fix that. I will read this thread about it if I haven't hijacked it too badly.

Appa23

#5 Post by Appa23 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:10 pm

I bought my wife a book by Judith Viorst about the 3 months that her youngest son (the famous Alexander) and his family (wife, dot, and 2 sons) came to live whiel their house was being renovated.

I got a chance to read it yesterday. Parts were ROFL-funny. She had some very pointed comments about "modern parenting".

I think as far as we ever got with childbirth books was "What to Expect When You Are Expecting" and some book by the American Academy of Pediatiricians or something. Childbirth was a breeze compared to international adoption, even if we had to drive to the hospital during a blizzard.

:)

marrymeflyfree

#6 Post by marrymeflyfree » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:16 pm

Bixby17 wrote: As for what I am reading now, nothing.

I need to fix that. I will read this thread about it if I haven't hijacked it too badly.
I'm trying to read all of the un-read stuff on my shelves because I think there won't be much time for fun reading in a few months. Ack! And thanks for the hijack...your outlook on it seems a lot like mine. I'm not afraid of pain most times, so I'm optimistic. And as long as all goes well, I'll be in a freestanding birth center - so no worries over fighting for intermittent monitoring and all that jazz. They even have a full kitchen that I'm actually allowed to use. Woo hoo!

We've been thinking about hiring a doula. Glad to hear that you had a good experience with one! I think if something changes that forces me to the hospital ahead of time, we will look for one. Otherwise, the midwives at the birth center are great so it won't be as necessary. I think the doula thing will be as much for Eric as for me...like you said, its a new thing for us both. We're going to read some of the Bradley books just for his benefit, since it talks to the dad as much as the mom. Once he has some direction in what to do he will be great. But I agree that some of it looks un-good! I've heard great things about 'hypnobabies' but haven't yet looked much into it. I'll definitely check out the book you mentioned - thanks for the rec!

I just have one question....were the fondlers in the childbirth aisle?! Ewwww.

KillerTomato

#7 Post by KillerTomato » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:19 pm

I finally finished "The Pillars of the Earth" - simply wonderful book.

I also zoomed through a little vanity-press book called "Ransom Seaborn" by a Pittsburgh-born singer-songwriter named Bill Deasy (whom I've mentioned before). Reminiscent of "The Catcher in the Rye," but not in that book's class. Still, a sweet, quick read, very poignant in parts.

Currently, I'm about 2/3 of the way through "T is for Trespass". I'm still waiting for it to get exciting, but Ms. Grafton's characterization of her villian is eerie this time. This may be the creepiest, most foul person she's ever written about.

On the pile of books yet to be read (a pile that's waaaaaay too high, but this is my busy season) are Ian McEwan's "Saturday," Marylynne Robinson's "Gilead," a couple of Agatha Christie paperbacks, and Tabitha King's completion of Michael MacDowell's "Candles Burning."
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

jaybee

#8 Post by jaybee » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:30 pm

Like KT, I recently finished Ken Folletts "Pillars of the Earth". I've read many Follett books and while they are pretty good, most are pretty much of the same formula. "Pillars" follows a completely different path, it reads like a book that the author poured his soul into to write.

I'm currently almost half-way through "World Without End", the follow-up to Pillars. It's set in the same town but takes place 200 years later. It is almost as good as Pillars - I would recommend it.
Jaybee

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:41 pm

I'm just about finished with "World Without End". If not tonight, tomorrow night.

I had to laugh that "Pillars of the Earth" was chosen by Oprah's Book Club 19 years after it was published! Of course I read it just last year. I ordered it when I read the press release that "World Without End" was going to be published last October.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#10 Post by cindy.wellman » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:06 pm

KillerTomato wrote:
Currently, I'm about 2/3 of the way through "T is for Trespass". I'm still waiting for it to get exciting, but Ms. Grafton's characterization of her villian is eerie this time. This may be the creepiest, most foul person she's ever written about.
I've listened to more of Grafton's books, than I have read them. I didn't realize T was out already, so I'll be on the lookout.

I just finished "In the Company of the Courtesan" by Sarah Dunant. I enjoyed the book, so I went ahead and ordered another one of her books titled, "The Birth of Venus" It should be here any day.

jsuchard

#11 Post by jsuchard » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:56 pm

"Crime and Punishment"

I'm not usually one to read the classics of literature, but it was around the house and I figured it's one of those books that literate people are supposed to read. I've enjoyed it so far, but think I will like it better when my new glasses arrive and I won't have as bad eye-strain.

PSM found a great deal from Barnes & Noble on a whole bunch of such classics for about $2 each, so she bought a whole buttload of them . Ostensibly, these are for Maddie, since she is the Literature person on her Quiz Bowl team. I think she just read "A Tale of Two Cities" from among this recent purchase.

I plan to read the "Pillars of the Earth" sequel next. However, my favorite book by that author is "Eye of the Needle", a WWII spy-story.
* Either Arglebargle IV or someone else.

Ritterskoop

#12 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:12 am

I read Silas Marner on vacation a few week sago, and now it's back to school books. I've heard of bell hooks but never read her, so this will be interesting.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

fuzzywuzzy

Re: What are you reading?

#13 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:08 am

marrymeflyfree wrote:Obligatory: _The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth_ by Henci Goer

Fun: _The Robber Bride_ by Margaret Atwood

The Atwood book is, as they always are, spectacular. I can't wait to dig deeper into it. Every time I read one of her books, I'm always a little sad when they end. She has been my favorite fiction writer for years.
mmff, I will have to put Margaret Atwood on my must read list. Thanks!

Right now I am reading... Obligatory: Lets Go Ireland, Is it Hot in Here? Or is it me? The Complete Guide to Menopause. Any ladies out there have any book suggestions on this "subject", please pass it along. :(

Learn me some history: Beaufighters in the Night: 417 Night Fighter Squadron USAAF - some "guy" named Eisel.

Oh yeah, I haven't even cracked the Norman Mailers that I received for Christmas. :?

Speaking of books...did anyone else watch the first installment of the Complete Jane Austen on PBS Masterpiece on Sunday? Persuasion was shown. I liked it very much.

fuzzy 8)
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

earendel

#14 Post by earendel » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:11 am

I just finished the second book in the latest "Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever" series (a Christmas gift), and am working on a book called "Mistborn" by Brandon Sanderson - he is the person chosen to complete Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series and I thought it might be nice to get an idea of Sanderson's writing style. I'm also starting my annual read-through of "The Death of the Messiah" by the late Raymond Brown, a Catholic scholar.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#15 Post by minimetoo26 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:48 am

Ritterskoop wrote:I read Silas Marner on vacation a few week sago, and now it's back to school books. I've heard of bell hooks but never read her, so this will be interesting.
I just bought Silas Marner (got a bunch of books on a list that my son had to do a report on, and made sure he had some fallbacks in case he struggled) so I may read it myself.

My short-attention-span self has a bunch of half-finished books in the bathroom. I just finished I Am America (And So Can You!), and I'm re-reading The Mouse That Roared and The World According to Garp. I'm also halfway through Rigged, by Ben Mizrich. None is compelling enough to drag me away from American Idol tonight!

tlynn78

#16 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:46 am

just finished "In the Company of the Courtesan" by Sarah Dunant. I enjoyed the book, so I went ahead and ordered another one of her books titled, "The Birth of Venus" It should be here any day

Cindy-

If you enjoyed "Courtesan" you will love "Birth of Venus" - I read it first (of the two) and thought it was the better book. Dunant is remarkable in how she can virtually transport you to the setting of her books. Very richly detailed.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

fuzzywuzzy

#17 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:49 am

tlynn78 wrote:
just finished "In the Company of the Courtesan" by Sarah Dunant. I enjoyed the book, so I went ahead and ordered another one of her books titled, "The Birth of Venus" It should be here any day

Cindy-

If you enjoyed "Courtesan" you will love "Birth of Venus" - I read it first (of the two) and thought it was the better book. Dunant is remarkable in how she can virtually transport you to the setting of her books. Very richly detailed.

t.
Read them both...tlynn is right..."Birth of Venus" is the better of the two! Liked them very much!

fuzzy 8)
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

lilyvonschtupp26

#18 Post by lilyvonschtupp26 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:07 pm

I have several categories:

Car book: an old favorite that I keep in the car for those spare moments: From the Corner of his Eye by Dean Koontz. Great suspense book, with a wonderful spiritual message as well. I strive to be a "pie lady" to someone.

Nightstand book: Am re-reading Persuasion as they just aired the PBS version and are showing a different Jane Austen book each week.

Obligatory book: there's a couple of YA books I want to buy but aren't sure if they're too much for my school.

The 1st I loved and am keeping is Neal Shusterman's Everlost. Kids are in a car crash and they don't live OR die, they are caught in between and find their way around Earth finding others in the same predicament.

The 2nd the kids will love, it falls in the "chick lit" category. Confessions of a Hollywood Star by Dyan Sheldon. all about a girl who's determined to get a part in a movie being filmed in her little town in New Jersey. It's a comedy of errors kind of book.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#19 Post by AnnieCamaro » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:21 pm

I'm reading Gentlemen of the Road, the newest by Michael Chabon. My mom got it for Christmas from my oldest brother boy, and she gave the same book to him, too. Anyway, it's not too thick, so I can read it between naps on the couch, and she's reading something else, so she doesn't mind. This book also has lots of drawings, which I like. It starts out with a bird, but I haven't found a dog yet, which I don't like. There's bound to be a dog in here somewhere.

/:P\
Sou iu koto de.

Tocqueville3

#20 Post by Tocqueville3 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:08 pm

I won't comment too much on the whole childbirth thing but I will say that I am very glad that I was in a hospital with doctors and nurses present when things went wrong with Madeleine. So is my husband. My OB is fabulous. The man is a miracle worker. And my scar is very small.

Right now I am reading:

Esther And Ruth a Reformed Expository Commentary by Iain Duguid

Singing And Making Music: Issues in Church Music Today by Paul Jones

marrymeflyfree

Re: What are you reading?

#21 Post by marrymeflyfree » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:58 pm

fuzzywuzzy wrote: mmff, I will have to put Margaret Atwood on my must read list. Thanks!
Some of her books ('Handmaid's Tale' and 'Oryx and Crake') have an almost sci-fi element to them...still great stories, but I tend to prefer her other stuff a little more. My number one fave of her's is The Blind Assassin, with Alias Grace not far behind.

marrymeflyfree

#22 Post by marrymeflyfree » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:01 pm

Tocqueville3 wrote:I won't comment too much on the whole childbirth thing but I will say that I am very glad that I was in a hospital with doctors and nurses present when things went wrong with Madeleine. So is my husband. My OB is fabulous. The man is a miracle worker. And my scar is very small.
And your babe is beautiful. Nice avatar pic. :-) In my case if things should sour at the birth center, the hospital is just across the street. We'd go through the backdoor, and can go from birth center bed to OR table in less than 5 minutes - less time than it takes them to prep the room for surgery. But it will be nice to give it a go without the temptation of the anesthesia man hanging around or all of the confining rules of the hospital. ;-)

Tocqueville3

#23 Post by Tocqueville3 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:50 pm

marrymeflyfree wrote:
Tocqueville3 wrote:I won't comment too much on the whole childbirth thing but I will say that I am very glad that I was in a hospital with doctors and nurses present when things went wrong with Madeleine. So is my husband. My OB is fabulous. The man is a miracle worker. And my scar is very small.
And your babe is beautiful. Nice avatar pic. :-) In my case if things should sour at the birth center, the hospital is just across the street. We'd go through the backdoor, and can go from birth center bed to OR table in less than 5 minutes - less time than it takes them to prep the room for surgery. But it will be nice to give it a go without the temptation of the anesthesia man hanging around or all of the confining rules of the hospital. ;-)
It sounds as if you have a good plan. Anesthesia can be very tempting. Especially when that pain becomes signifigant and you've been dealing with it for a long time. More power to you!

fantine33

#24 Post by fantine33 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:55 pm

cindy.wellman wrote:
KillerTomato wrote:
I've listened to more of Grafton's books, than I have read them. I didn't realize T was out already, so I'll be on the lookout.

I just finished "In the Company of the Courtesan" by Sarah Dunant. I enjoyed the book, so I went ahead and ordered another one of her books titled, "The Birth of Venus" It should be here any day.
I got to O before I sputtered out. I don't even know why, really, because I always enjoyed them. I think it's because I got Outlaw as an audio book and, although the lady reading it was really good, I can't seem to pay attention auditorially like I do visually.

I don't know who Sarah Dunant is, but the title sounds similar to the Crimson Petal and the White fiasco. Are they similar? I read Tipping the Velvet and one or two others by Sarah Somebody, but I don't think it was Dunant.

Bixby17

#25 Post by Bixby17 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:43 pm

marrymeflyfree wrote:
Bixby17 wrote: As for what I am reading now, nothing.

I'm trying to read all of the un-read stuff on my shelves because I think there won't be much time for fun reading in a few months. Ack! And thanks for the hijack...your outlook on it seems a lot like mine. I'm not afraid of pain most times, so I'm optimistic. And as long as all goes well, I'll be in a freestanding birth center - so no worries over fighting for intermittent monitoring and all that jazz. They even have a full kitchen that I'm actually allowed to use. Woo hoo!

We've been thinking about hiring a doula. Glad to hear that you had a good experience with one! I think if something changes that forces me to the hospital ahead of time, we will look for one. Otherwise, the midwives at the birth center are great so it won't be as necessary. I think the doula thing will be as much for Eric as for me...like you said, its a new thing for us both. We're going to read some of the Bradley books just for his benefit, since it talks to the dad as much as the mom. Once he has some direction in what to do he will be great. But I agree that some of it looks un-good! I've heard great things about 'hypnobabies' but haven't yet looked much into it. I'll definitely check out the book you mentioned - thanks for the rec!

I just have one question....were the fondlers in the childbirth aisle?! Ewwww.
Basically, the biggest thing with doulas/midwives is to have a good personality fit. The nurses at the hospital all talked too loud and bugged the crap out of me because they asked stupid questions in the middle of contractions and expected me to be able to answer right away. My doula was so quiet it was almost like she wasn't there.

The Active Birth book really helped the most. First labor was 23 hours, and my second labor was all back labor because she was upside down and huge. Knowing different positions that could help things progress and feel better was great.

The Bradley stuff is good with general philsophy, but not with the what to do part.

Oh, and the fondlers were not in the childbirth aisle. I would get a bunch of books and sit down. The fondlers sat across from my OBVIOUSLY prego self and at first looked like they were adjusting themselves. And then they would get grosser. Nobody got caught though.