Waiting sucks

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
PlacentiaSoccerMom

Waiting sucks

#1 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:45 am

Today, before school, they were supposed to post the names of the kids who made the Mock Trial team at Maddie's school. Very few freshman will likely get on the team. Since Maddie has zero period, she was going to check after zero period and call me and tell me what happened.

She's been going to auditions on Sunday evenings and feels really good about her chance of making in on the team. Last night she was an "Expert Witness" in pharmacology and she felt like she nailed her testimony.

She hasn't called. :( Either so is so excited because she made the team that she forgot to call or she didn't make the team and is too depressed to call. Or maybe she couldn't get a signal at school.

Waiting to find out sucks.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#2 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:47 am

I'm betting that the list didn't get posted at the promised time.

christie1111
11:11

School Phone use

#3 Post by christie1111 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:52 am

Our kids hae a very difficult time calling from school.

I do get the occasional txt msg though!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#4 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:53 am

She's not allowed to text.

Appa23

#5 Post by Appa23 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:55 am

PSM, does their Mock Trial team set things up in such a way that the plaintiff attorneys for your school will be the witnesses when the team has the defendant side, and vice versa.

When I advised mock trial teams, I usually looked at their "skills" as lawyers, espeiclly thinking on their feet, rather than as witnsesses (as it is easier to teach testimony to a witness).

Maddie will have some advantage from her acting experience, unless most of the students also have been actors.

Although there is little resemblence to a real trial, mock trial is fun.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#6 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:23 am

I am not sure about the details of how the competitions are set up.
All I know is that it's the most competitive academic activity at the school.

The application packet asked about acting, public speaking, and debate experience, which Maddie has. Maddie was the only person who went through the extra steps of typing up her application, which impressed the advisor. There is only one other freshman who has the acting experience that Maddie does. (The other freshman was Sandy to Maddie's Rizzo in Grease..) The other girl has pageant experience, but Maddie is better at debate and gave her 8th grade Social Studies teacher as a reference. The team advisors also saw her on Jeopardy! They said that they were wondering if they would "get her" when it was time for her to go to high school.

Maddie said that Freshman will primarily be used as witnesses and has auditioned as a witness twice. They were impressed by her ability as a scientific witness because she could pronounce the "big" words and was the only witness who didn't need a script.

Maddie's only disadvantage is that last weekend she had to go to a Quiz Bowl tournament. She put the conflict on her application. She came from the competition to the Mock Trial audition, but she was an hour late. (I had emailed the advisors the week before, so they knew that I had a carload of kids to take back to Huntington Beach and they told me that the tardiness wouldn't impact Maddie's chance of getting on the team.)

Because of the conflict, she wasn't able to be a lawyer.

TheCalvinator24

#7 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:41 am

Wishing her good luck.

I was on the Mock Trial team in law school. In our Sem-final round of the Regional tournament, the "Judge" told me I had done the best job as a Witness that he had ever seen in a Mock Trial competition.

Unfortunately, we still lost the round. Although even the other team thought we should have won. I took the Bar Review course with 3 out of the 4 on that team and they all told me that they were shocked they got the ballots in that Round.

But I'm not bitter.

:?
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

PlacentiaSoccerMom

I got a phone call!

#8 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:08 am

It was hard to hear from all of the screeching. (She called during the Break!)

Apparently after Algebra II/ Trig, she made her friend, Blair, who did not try out, walk with her to see the list because she wanted somebody with her in case she didn't make the team.

As they were walking over they saw Sarah ("Sandy" in Grease) who was running over to them screaming.

Apparently both Sarah and Maddie made the team, so they are both really, really, happy. They are both doing the school play Tom Jones together as well, so they will be spending Sundays from 2:00-6:00 at play practice, followed by Mock Trial at 6:00 - 9:00.

Life is always better when the teenagers are happy. :)

MarleysGh0st

Re: I got a phone call!

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:13 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Apparently both Sarah and Maddie made the team, so they are both really, really, happy.
Woo hoo, Sarah and Maddie! :)

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#10 Post by kayrharris » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:14 am

Congratulations, although I'm not one bit surprised she made it.
Give her a big hug for me. Kay

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#11 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:14 am

Hurray and congratulations!

melleon

#12 Post by melleon » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:19 am

Congratulations to Maddie! How exciting! I hope you keep us well informed on her "trials and tribulations"!

Mel

TheCalvinator24

#13 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:20 am

Congratulations to Maddie!
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

earendel

#14 Post by earendel » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:22 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:It was hard to hear from all of the screeching. (She called during the Break!)

Apparently after Algebra II/ Trig, she made her friend, Blair, who did not try out, walk with her to see the list because she wanted somebody with her in case she didn't make the team.

As they were walking over they saw Sarah ("Sandy" in Grease) who was running over to them screaming.

Apparently both Sarah and Maddie made the team, so they are both really, really, happy. They are both doing the school play Tom Jones together as well, so they will be spending Sundays from 2:00-6:00 at play practice, followed by Mock Trial at 6:00 - 9:00.

Yes, it is. And congratulations to Maddie and Sarah.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:25 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:It was hard to hear from all of the screeching. (She called during the Break!)

Woo hoo! Tell her I said to break a leg - two in this case!

tlynn78

#16 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:26 am

Never a doubt! Congrats to Maddie !

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#17 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:35 am

Congratulations to Maddie! --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

mrkelley23

#18 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:47 am

Yay for Maddie! She and "Sandy" will be quite the dynamic duo in four years, if they manage to hang together that long. (Neither one graduating early, moving away, etc.)
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#19 Post by hermillion » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:54 pm

Wonderful news! Congratulations to Maddie (and to Sarah) on making the team.

I love the fact that she is so involved in activities already. Her high school career will be so much richer than if she just trudges through.
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

Ritterskoop

#20 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:04 am

WTG Maddie and bud!
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.