Forgotten Memorial

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
nitrah55

Forgotten Memorial

#1 Post by nitrah55 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:52 am

Was in DC over the weekend, visiting Beloved Son. Sunday AM, we went for a walk around his neighborhood. Since he goes to GWU, the neighborhood includes the Lincoln Memorial and the WWII Memorial (which I had not yet seen).

When you walk on the south side of the reflecting pool from Lincoln to WWII, you can spot through the trees a little stand of columns holding up something no bigger than a bandshell. I had never noticed this before, and Beloved Son (who has been tramping over the National Mall in his spare time for weeks) never noticed it either.

It is a little, nearly forgotten, memorial. The article below is from 2003, but apparently things haven't improved much. It seems odd to have overlooked a memorial built for the War to End All Wars only a few hundred yards from memorials for three wars that came after. Read on:

http://www.dcpreservation.org/endangere ... orial.html

MarleysGh0st

Re: Forgotten Memorial

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:10 am

nitrah55 wrote:It seems odd to have overlooked a memorial built for the War to End All Wars only a few hundred yards from memorials for three wars that came after. Read on:

http://www.dcpreservation.org/endangere ... orial.html
I see the problem.

According to the link:
Washington, D.C. residents built a Peristyle Doric Temple to memorialize local heroes who served the nation in World War One.

So, this is not a national memorial like those others, but a local one, like those found in so many other towns and cities across the country.

marrymeflyfree

Re: Forgotten Memorial

#3 Post by marrymeflyfree » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:44 pm

nitrah55 wrote: It is a little, nearly forgotten, memorial. The article below is from 2003, but apparently things haven't improved much.
It's a nice memorial...I was there in April of 2006, and my friends and I all commented on how shabby it was compared to the glam of the new WWII memorial. It was almost unmarked, but it was kind of nice in that quiet little tucked-away spot, too. Here's a photo I took that day (if I can figure out how to post it!). If you look closely, you can see my buddy Chad peeking out from behind the column.