Transcript 1/17/08 Wendell Robinson

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 1/17/08 Wendell Robinson

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:15 pm

Wendell Robinson
Gainesville FL
warehouse technician

100 - The annual Mrs. America pageant features fifty-one contestants who are all what?

A brunette
B vegetarian
C married
D minivan enthusiasts

200 - Running the knife down the length of the cob to remove the kernels is a common way of handling what food item?

A loaf of bread
B ear of corn
C stick of butter
D wheel of cheese

300 - The smallest puppy in a litter is commonly called a what?

A sprout
B tot
C peanut
D runt

500 - Pop star Rihanna sings "there's no distance in between our love, so go on and let the rain pour" in a 2007 hit with what apt title?

A Chandelier
B Umbrella
C Handkerchief
D Stiletto

1K - A doctor who asks, "Are you ambulatory?" is essentially asking what question?

A can you eat?
B can you talk?
C can you walk?
D can you sleep?

2K - The popular Disney channel sitcom "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody" centers on identical twins who live where?

A in a posh hotel
B on a farm
C at a boarding school
D in a lighthouse

4K - Nuclear reactors generate energy by splitting the atoms of which of these elements?

A uranium
B xenon
C phosphorous
D titanium

8K - Which of these landmarks was not among those selected among "The New 7 Wonders of the World" in 2007?

A Great Wall of China
B Taj Mahal
C Machu Picchu
D Eiffel Tower

16K - If you walk due north from San Antonio, Texas to Canada, which of these states would you not pass through?

A Kansas
B Iowa
C South Dakota
D Nebraska

50/50 leaves B & D.

25K - Which of these noted character actors was once a New York City firefighter?

A Steve Buscemi
B John C. Reilly
C William H. Macy
D Danny Glover

Meredith asks what the money means to him, and he says more than the money is the chance to tell his son that if he believes in a thing he can achieve it.

50K - What was the name of the first chimpanzee sent into space by NASA?

A Bear
B Daisy
C Ham
D Ginger

100K - Thought we now know it as "The Thinker," sculptor Auguste Rodin once gave his iconic statue what other title?

A The Artist
B The Poet
C The Philosopher
D The Mathematician

ATA

A 5
B 10
C 72
D 13

Wendell trusts the audience, and leaves with 25K.

100 C married
200 B ear of corn
300 D runt
500 B Umbrella
1K C can you walk?
2K A in a posh hotel
4K A uranium
8K D Eiffel Tower
16K B Iowa
25K A Steve Buscemi
50K C Ham
100K B The Poet

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 1/17/08 Wendell Robinson

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:54 am

$25K: NAFC®. Try the audience and see if they give a definitive answer. PAF as well only if nothing pans out.

$100K: Well, we on the Bored know for sfbazoodee's $500K question that "The Thinker" was based on Dante Alighieri. That automatically eliminates Artist and Mathematician. Since Dante was more of a poet than a philosopher, I lock in with B and play for $250K.

To the average player and watcher, Philosopher stuck out like a sore thumb... and that's why I cringed when Wendell took the ATA. Seeing 72% of the audience go for that answer made me yell out "Dursted®!"

Appa23

#3 Post by Appa23 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:04 am

I am shocked that this guy needed to use a 50-50 for the geography question.

SD, NE, and KS are all in a row, and have very similar widths.

This seemed like a $4,000 question, at best.

(Of course, I may be too close to the question. :) )

tanstaafl2

#4 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:09 pm

Appa23 wrote:I am shocked that this guy needed to use a 50-50 for the geography question.

SD, NE, and KS are all in a row, and have very similar widths.

This seemed like a $4,000 question, at best.

(Of course, I may be too close to the question. :) )
Perhaps you are too close but it was that high because we are, generally speaking, a country of geo nit wits. This guy, who did reasonably well otherwise until dursted, seems a good example.

Geography questions are often overvalued.

They did have an interesting one on "Whose dumber than a fifth grade actor" the other night.

How many states border Lake Superior? I think it was a second grade geography question. Give me a 100 randomly selected second graders and I bet random chance will have a greater percentage correct than they would. Hardly seemed a second grade level question.

Not necessarily hard, but not second grade.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:16 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:They did have an interesting one on "Whose dumber than a fifth grade actor" the other night.

How many states border Lake Superior? I think it was a second grade geography question. Give me a 100 randomly selected second graders and I bet random chance will have a greater percentage correct than they would. Hardly seemed a second grade level question.

Not necessarily hard, but not second grade.
Sure it is, just make the kiddies memorize "3".
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ghostjmf

#6 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:14 pm

8K: I "knew" this but was plenty unsure when the Q came up. On the other hand, I was certain about the others. Recent Smithsonian article? Somewhere, anyway.

16K: I have driven through all of these places, but not on that route. Being sure took a while.

25K: I know from interviews its not Glover or Macy. I think its Buscemi, but I don't even know who Reilly is. 50/50

50K: Complete blank. I'd STQ it. Wow on the contestant knowing it.

100K: Make this my STQ 50K: I was pretty sure it was not the obvious, "The Philosopher". And I was pretty sure it was "The Poet", but pretty is not close enough. And I've used my 50/50 already. And my STQ. So PAF.

The audience is about the last source I'd trust on this one. Why was this otherwise great contestant so intent on showing his son what ballsiness, or whatever, was, that he did not STQ or PAF here?