Congrats Sprots - Colorado Rockies

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
takinover

Congrats Sprots - Colorado Rockies

#1 Post by takinover » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:39 pm

Good luck in the World Series.

So that makes 4 who have yet to taste the glory (Texas Rangers, Washington Nationals, Seattle Mariners and Tampa Bay Devil Rays.)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:41 pm

Beat me to it. Congratulations, Sprots. Now if the Indians can complete their win over the Red Sox, we'll be assured of a different World Series victor in every year (so far) of the decade. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Jeemie

They replayed the trophy presentation on Philly radio...

#3 Post by Jeemie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:07 am

...because some Philly fans are upset that Giles got so excited in his presentation. Yeah- he's baseball's representative, and the trophy is named after his father, but Philly fans will always remember him as associated with the Phillies...and the Rockies punk'd the Phillies right out of the playoffs.

But my one thought was that Giles seemed to have been sampling a little too much of Colordado's most famous product.

In short, he sounded loaded!!!
1979 City of Champions 2009

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#4 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:03 am

THANKS! This is huge!

Just a few years ago, some Colorado columnist, Rocky Mountain News I think, said we'd never be a contender because we're such a hitter's park, we don't know how to play in other parks, we can't get any good pitchers to come pitch for us and blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Kudos to Clint Hurdle and a team that's willing to play defense the way it was meant to be.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: They replayed the trophy presentation on Philly radio...

#5 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:05 am

Jeemie wrote: . . .
But my one thought was that Giles seemed to have been sampling a little too much of Colordado's most famous product.

. . .
:?: Fresh air?

:wink:
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

ne1410s

#6 Post by ne1410s » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:18 am

Congrats, Sprots!!!!

Someday lily and I will know the special feeling that goes with a winner... :lol:
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#7 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:42 am

Thanks, Tennis!

You've got plenty of company here -- back in the day before dish networks, one local group was successful in getting Chicago's WGN on our local cable access just for Cubs baseball. They said it was because we had so many Midwesterner transplants, and they liked watching the 10 p.m. news at 9, and blah blah blah -- it was the Cubs.

moonie

Gawd I hope next year

#8 Post by moonie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:52 am

The Cubbies need to win or else it will make

100 years.
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to Lurk i go!

mellytu74

#9 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:16 pm

Adding my late congrats here -- just haven't been around.

I would bet $$$ that the reason the crew at WIP played the Bill Giles clip so many times is that he sounded like he had a REALLY good time in someone's superbox prior to giving out the trophy.

Remember, the title of his newly published book IS "Pouring Six Beers at the Time...and other tales from a lifetime in baseball"