TWC WTF

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
AlphaDummy
Mr. Top Ten

TWC WTF

#1 Post by AlphaDummy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:48 am

Lots of rain here yesterday. I mean, LOTS of rain.

We turned The Weather Channel on at the shop to see what was in store for today.

We got a talking head yammering about women's heart disease. Which is a noble cause - but, AFAIK, is unaffected by meteorological vagaries.

And then bidness news.

Tell me again what the "W" stands for. Please.
"Again" - Herb Brooks (as played by Kurt Russell)

themanintheseersuckersuit

Re: TWC WTF

#2 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:01 am

AlphaDummy wrote:Lots of rain here yesterday. I mean, LOTS of rain.

We turned The Weather Channel on at the shop to see what was in store for today.

We got a talking head yammering about women's heart disease. Which is a noble cause - but, AFAIK, is unaffected by meteorological vagaries.

And then bidness news.

Maybe the weather is on MTV?
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#3 Post by ulysses5019 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:27 am

And then bidness news.

Maybe you should check out the bored, somebody's always posting the latest news here.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:33 am

ulysses5019 wrote:Maybe you should check out the bored, somebody's always posting the latest news here.
Yeah, but does he really want Wisconsin to have the earthquake of the day?

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#5 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:09 am

And then bidness news.

Yeah, I made the mistake of turning them on trying to get a forecast a few days ago. Instead, I got some dumbass standing on a beach talking about surfers. It took a lot longer, but TWC has finally gone the way of MTV and pretty much every other great cable channel of the 80's.....

Where have you gone Dale Dockus?

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#6 Post by ulysses5019 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:12 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:Maybe you should check out the bored, somebody's always posting the latest news here.
Yeah, but does he really want Wisconsin to have the earthquake of the day?

But he could have been sidetracked by the dancing merengue dog.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#7 Post by frogman042 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:04 am

And then bidness news.

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#8 Post by ulysses5019 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:27 am

frogman042 wrote:

And then bidness news.

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

But do you need a frogman to know which way the water falls?

christie1111
11:11

#9 Post by christie1111 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:09 am

During the ehight of the Gulf oil spill it was if they were CNN with live coverage of the well.

Now I know that the weather could impact efforts for clean up and capping, but they weren't talking about the WEATHER!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#10 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:25 am

And then bidness news.

Folkses will go to any lengths to get their causes espoused. I went to a meeting Wednesday where the speaker was supposed to impart important information about Social Security and answer questions in 30 minutes. She was excellent and On Topic for 20 minutes, including Q&A, and instead of ending early, she launched into a Susan G. Komen spiel. As AD says, a noble cause, but not on the agenda. I lucked out, I was able to duck out early, go next door, and put my classified ad in the paper. Speaking of noble causes, anybody need a little aluminum fishing boat?
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#11 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:30 am

SportsFan68 wrote:

And then bidness news.

Folkses will go to any lengths to get their causes espoused. I went to a meeting Wednesday where the speaker was supposed to impart important information about Social Security and answer questions in 30 minutes. She was excellent and On Topic for 20 minutes, including Q&A, and instead of ending early, she launched into a Susan G. Komen spiel. As AD says, a noble cause, but not on the agenda. I lucked out, I was able to duck out early, go next door, and put my classified ad in the paper. Speaking of noble causes, anybody need a little aluminum fishing boat?

Is it small enough for ES? He'll be right over to look at it....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#12 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:33 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:

And then bidness news.

lb13
Yep, small enough for Stately Harris Manor's pool -- I can see the drowning oops I mean the accident oops I mean the unfortunate incident now . . .
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#13 Post by ulysses5019 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:34 am

SportsFan68 wrote:

And then bidness news.

I think AD might need it...if he ever finds out how much rain is expected.

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:40 am

ulysses5019 wrote:I think AD might need it...if he ever finds out how much rain is expected.
Looks like the storm's already left Wisconsin, so his interest was more in finding out how bad it had been in surrounding areas. (As opposed to seeing how bad it was in the local area, by looking out the window.)

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#15 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:54 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:

lb13
Yep, small enough for Stately Harris Manor's pool -- I can see the drowning oops I mean the accident oops I mean the unfortunate incident now . . .

The lifeguard is on duty to save him.....

lb13

christie1111
11:11

#16 Post by christie1111 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:56 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:

And then bidness news.

lb13
Found it! Cute one LB!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

AlphaDummy
Mr. Top Ten

#17 Post by AlphaDummy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:52 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:I think AD might need it...if he ever finds out how much rain is expected.
The heavy stuff seemd to be letting up - but we are still getting intermittent rain here.

A FB note from a friend who works at the paper mill in a town about 10 miles upstream from where I live:
Just got a call from work. They are closing the plant until further notice.The water is coming over the dam and they are evacuating the whole mill. The woodroom walls are already starting to cave in. This is not good.
And a town about 15 miles NW of my home has several homes flooded, and several more evacuated. Fortunately we live on some very high ground. But still...
"Again" - Herb Brooks (as played by Kurt Russell)

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#18 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:56 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13

lb13
That particular lifeguard is there only to grab the car keys and get the location of the life insurance policy . . .

I'm sure MBRS will cut me in for a share of the take if I'm successful. . .

So sad . . . but a smashing new little black dress purchased with the insurance money will help her through mourning, I'm sure...
Last edited by SportsFan68 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#19 Post by ulysses5019 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:15 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:

lb13
That particular lifeguard is there only to graf the car keys and get the location of the life insurance policy . . .

So sad . . . but a smashing new little black dress purchased with the insurance money will help her through mourning, I'm sure...
Make sure you accessorize it with a squirrel fur collar.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#20 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:45 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:

lb13
That particular lifeguard is there only to graf the car keys and get the location of the life insurance policy . . .

You're assuming that Angel isn't his beneficiary....

lb13

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#21 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:48 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13
That particular lifeguard is there only to grab the car keys and get the location of the life insurance policy . . .

lb13
I thought of that after I posted, then decided not to edit. I think that a little black dress, no matter now smashing, would look terrible on Angel.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#22 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:50 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:

lb13
I thought of that after I posted, then decided not to edit. I think that a little black dress, no matter now smashing, would look terrible on Angel.

I also think she is the kind of girl who'd donate his insurance money to the NSAS or the Michigan Squirrel Club. She has a heart of pure gold, you know.....

lb13

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#23 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:56 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13

I also think she is the kind of girl who'd donate his insurance money to the NSAS or the Michigan Squirrel Club. She has a heart of pure gold, you know.....

lb13
Heart of gold, yes. Worthless causes, no. She would give it all to the Annie Memorial Brownhound Rescue Fund.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#24 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:45 pm

AD, I check out Intellicast or the local interactive weather on the computer if storms are looming. TWC is pathetic. Their website is, too, but if you go to your local site it has an interactive map. Intellicast is better, I think.

And, of course, for hurricanes, it's the WeatherUnderground, wunderground, whatever it's called. The blog has crazy people like here, but occasionally there are real time posts that are ahead of the national networks and local networks. And dropsonde readings and cool shit like that!
Well, then

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#25 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm

Beebs52 wrote:AD, I check out Intellicast or the local interactive weather on the computer if storms are looming. TWC is pathetic. Their website is, too, but if you go to your local site it has an interactive map. Intellicast is better, I think.

And, of course, for hurricanes, it's the WeatherUnderground, wunderground, whatever it's called. The blog has crazy people like here, but occasionally there are real time posts that are ahead of the national networks and local networks. And dropsonde readings and cool shit like that!

HA!!! I had thought of the word dropsonde this morning for the first time since I was in college! My Dad was making comments on the wind in the upper atmosphere making the clouds look funky on teh way home from lunch, and it was one of the term that popped into my head while I was trying to think of what those graphs of upper air data were to be called.....

That is freaky......

lb13