Transcript 01/22/2008 Nina Nell

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 01/22/2008 Nina Nell

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:29 pm

Nina Nell
Fort Washington, PA
Stay at home mom. Her two kids are in college.
Says she is a big fan of the show, and does ironing while watching the show.

$100- A classic ad jingle urges, "Double your pleasure, double your fun with Doublemint" what?
A. Soda B. Potato chips
C. Gum D. Borscht

$200- In 1513, Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de Leon set sail from Puerto Rico in search for a legendary "fountain of" what?
A. Learning B. Fame
C. Memory D. Youth

$300- A transatlantic flight is usually required in order to travel between which of these major cities?
A. Seattle and Houston B. Boston and London
C. Montreal and Detroit D. San Francisco and San Diego

$500- In the punny hairstyle name "faux hawk" the word "faux stands in for what two letters?
A. G-O B. M-O
C. L-O D. R-O

$1000- By definition, what type of criminal is a "second-story man"?
A. Forger B. Arsonist
C. Burglar D. Embezzler

$2000- As a nod to his adopted hometown, what rocker titled his debut album, "Greetings frm Asbury Park, N.J."?
A. Bruce Springsteen B. Tom Petty
C. John Mellencamp D. Billy Joel

$4000- Which of these cooking terms is believed to come from a Norwegian word meaning "lump"?
A. Pinch B. Sprinkle
C. Dollop D. Dash

$8000- A spiritual group accued of "jeopardizing social stability," Falun Gong was famously banned in 1999 from what country?
A. North Korea B. Indonesia
C. Singapore D. China

She is not sure and would like to ask the audience

A-16% B-9% C-8% D-67%

That was not what she was thinking.

50/50?
A. North Korea or D. China

She was thinking Indonesia and since that is gone she goes with the audience

Commercial break

She brought her husband and eight of her girl friends to the show.

$16,000
Expressed in terms of Roman numerals, what Super Bowl took place in February of 2007?
A. LIX B. XLI
C. LXI D. XLIX

She knows what the numerals stand for but not sure what number Super Bowl it was.

PAF Brian, stepson: Asks to hear the choices again, then says "XLIX" at end (the last X was hard to hear and the transcriber initially missed it too)

Nina said she would go with Brian and chooses B (XLI) and makes it final.

Meredith says it is right, but not what Brian said. Nina thought Brian said XLI and that 41 was her guess anyway.

$25,000
In 1914, what cosmetics entrepreneur created the first line of makeup specifically for motion picture actors?
A. Max Factor B. Estee Lauder
C. Elizabeth Arden D. Helena Rubinstein

Nina is thinking of two possible answers, but does not know and decides to leave with $16K. When the answer was revealed, she said she would have never guessed that,

Answers
$100- C. Gum
$200- D. Youth
$300- B. Boston and London
$500- B. M-O
$1000- C. Burglar
$2000- A. Bruce Springsteen
$4000- C. Dollop
$8000- D. China
$16K- B. XLI
$25K- A. Max Factor

Commercial Break

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 01/22/2008 Nina Nell

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:04 am

$8K: No clue. I also would've asked the audience.

$16K: Talk about a blessing in disguise. I also heard her PAF say "XLIX".

I would've been going for $50K with three lifelines.

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:38 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Nina Nell
Fort Washington, PA
Stay at home mom. Her two kids are in college.
Says she is a big fan of the show, and does ironing while watching the show.
It's good to know that occasionally a real fan of the show slips past TPTB to get into the Hot Seat. It sounds as if Ft. Washington is in the WE® viewing area - her husband and some girl friends drove in a limo to NYC.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000- A spiritual group accued of "jeopardizing social stability," Falun Gong was famously banned in 1999 from what country?
A. North Korea B. Indonesia
C. Singapore D. China

She is not sure and would like to ask the audience

A-16% B-9% C-8% D-67%

That was not what she was thinking.

50/50
A. North Korea or D. China

She was thinking Indonesia and since that is gone she goes with the audience
Nina said that she trusted the audience, then decides to use her 50/50? That doesn't show much trust, and if she's a fan of the show she should know about the perils of wasting lifelines. I predicted that she would need this lifeilne later in the stack.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000
Expressed in terms of Roman numerals, what Super Bowl took place in February of 2007?
A. LIX B. XLI
C. LXI D. XLIX

She knows what the numerals stand for but not sure what number Super Bowl it was.

PAF Brian, stepson: Asks to hear the choices again, then says "XLIX" at end (the last X was hard to hear and the transcriber initially missed it too)

Nina said she would go with Brian and chooses B (XLI) and makes it final.

Meredith says it is right, but not what Brian said. Nina thought Brian said XLI and that 41 was her guess anyway.
This was funny - Nina goes with her PAF's answer, but she evidently misheard it (as did Meredith, from the subsequent conversation - I went back and replayed the DVR to make sure I had heard it correctly).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000
In 1914, what cosmetics entrepreneur created the first line of makeup specifically for motion picture actors?

Nina is thinking of two possible answers, but does not know and decides to leave with $16K. When the answer was revealed, she said she would have never guessed that.
We'll never know, of course, but had Nina had her 50/50 still available she might have been able to come up with the answer. I'm old enough to remember when Max Factor used to advertise on television and promoted the brand as "make-up to the stars".

It was a nihil obstat® stack for me.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:22 am

I made her real wrong for being from Pa and not knowing, like she knows her own name, that The Steelers won Super Bowl XL. Even I know that - then..... I looked up and she lives just outside Philly, which would be Eagles territory, so I forgave her.

Then.... she really did know and didn't trust herself. too bad

This is one of very few stacks where I would be sitting with 4 LL's looking at the 50K question.

NellyLunatic1980

#5 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:33 am

earendel wrote:
We'll never know, of course, but had Nina had her 50/50 still available she might have been able to come up with the answer.
Computer says "no". Nina used her 50:50 on the Falun Gong question.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:36 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
earendel wrote:
We'll never know, of course, but had Nina had her 50/50 still available she might have been able to come up with the answer.
Computer says "no". Nina used her 50:50 on the Falun Gong question.
Yes, but if she hadn't - if she had trusted the audience as she said she did - she might have had it here.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

NellyLunatic1980

#7 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:31 am

OK, that was my bad. I misread your post. You said "... but had Nina had her 50/50 still available" and not "... but Nina had her 50/50 still available".

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:27 am

earendel wrote:It sounds as if Ft. Washington is in the WE® viewing area - her husband and some girl friends drove in a limo to NYC.
No, Ft. Washington is a suburb of Philly. That's still not so far, if they're going to splurge on a limo ride for a big crowd of friends.

Some of eastern PA can get a weak TV signal from NYC, but I wouldn't put any of it in the Where Else zone.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:27 pm

Here's an article about Nina's appearance:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?news ... 7829&rfi=6
When she found out she could take 10 guests to the show, Nell knew she had to bring "the girls," her golfing friends, all area residents.
"That way I could talk to them about it and I didn't have to worry about blabbing," she said, adding her friends joked there was no way she could keep the secret.
Nell said it has been "bugging [her] for months" that she could not share how she did on the show. She and her "posse" were sworn to secrecy, she said.
That's an interesting reason to bring your own rooting section! :wink:
Once an avid "Millionaire" fan, Nell began playing the game online and said she "did very well." She sent away for tickets to attend a taping in New York City. There she "auditioned," by taking a multiple choice test.
Nell, whose girlfriends encouraged her to audition because she is a "bit of a know-it-all" - instead of "Ask Jeeves," they say, "Ask Nina," she said - thought she did poorly on the test. "Some answers I absolutely knew, some were intelligent guesses and others I had no clue."
After watching the show live, about a half-dozen names were announced, one of which was hers.
"I couldn't believe it, but I knew the interview part would be OK because you just have to be outgoing," she said.
You. Just. Have. To. Be. Outgoing.

<groan>