Transcript 01/22/2008 Mary Ann Mowrey

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 01/22/2008 Mary Ann Mowrey

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:30 pm

Mary Ann Mowrey
Johnstown, NY
(This is between Schenectady and Utica!)
Firefighter, the only female firefighter in the history of her FD.
Got the call late last evening, got to New York at 3 AM, stayed at a local friend's house, her friend gave her a haircut at 3 AM, got two hours of sleep, then came to the studio. Her partner Pam is in the audience.

$100- Heat stroke is a serious medical condition often caused by prolonged exposure to what?
A. Ocean water B. The Sun
C. Toxic chemicals D. Tabasco sauce

$200- The U.S. observes National Aviation Day on August 19th, the birthday of what famed inventor?
A. Thomas Edison B. Henry Ford
C. Alexander Graham Bell D. Orville Wright

$300- Which of these answer choices requires the word "to" and not "as" in order to complete a common cliche?
A. Happy _ a clam B. Sharp _ a tack
C. Grind _ a halt D. High _ a kite

$500- Which of these national retailers has a logo that features a referee in a black-and-white-striped shirt?
A. JC Penney B. The Body Shop
C. Crate & Barrel D. Foot Locker

$1000- The terms "antebellum" and "postbellum" usually refer to the periods surrounding what event in U.S. history?
A. Cuban missile crisis B. U.S. Civil War
C. The Great Depression D. Civil Rights era

$2000- Which of these Michigan cities has an official seal that features a large tree?
A. Ann Arbor B. Flint
C. Grand Rapids D. Detroit

$4000- Present in all living organisms, what element is considered the basic "building block" of life on Earth?
A. Iron B. Carbon
C. Potassium D. Calcium

Commercial Break

$8000- The official theme song of Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign is "You and I," a plucky pop tune performed by what artist?
A. Cher B. Gloria Estefan
C. Faith Hill D. Celine Dion

Mary Ann asks the audience.

A-5% B-12% C-38% D-45%

How about the 50/50 as well?

A. Cher
D. Celine Dion

That helped, and Mary Ann will return tomorrow.

Answers
$100- B. The Sun
$200- D. Orville Wright
$300- C. Grind _ a halt
$500- D. Foot Locker
$1000- B. U.S. Civil War
$2000- A. Ann Arbor
$4000- B. Carbon
$8000- D. Celine Dion

NellyLunatic1980

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:13 am

Nihil obstat® so far.

earendel

Re: Transcript 01/22/2008 Mary Ann Mowrey

#3 Post by earendel » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:43 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Mary Ann Mowrey
Johnstown, NY
Got the call late last evening, got to New York at 3 AM, stayed at a local friend's house, her friend gave her a haircut at 3 AM, got two hours of sleep, then came to the studio. Her partner Pam is in the audience.
Since she got the call that late, she'd have to be a WE®. I just wonder how easy it was for her to arrange time off and a PAF list.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$200- The U.S. observes National Aviation Day on August 19th, the birthday of what famed inventor?
Why Orville and not Wilbur?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4000- Present in all living organisms, what element is considered the basic "building block" of life on Earth?
A. Iron B. Carbon
C. Potassium D. Calcium
Mary Ann's partner is a science teacher and said that if she'd missed this question she wouldn't let Mary Ann forget it.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000- The official theme song of Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign is "You and I," a plucky pop tune performed by what artist?

A-5% B-12% C-38% D-45%
My first thought was that it wouldn't be Celine Dion because Hillary would want a song sung by someone from the U.S. But not being certain, I'd have gone with ATA as well. The results would have doomed me, however, because the "2nd place spike" was enough to convince me it was Faith Hill.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:How about the 50/50 as well?

A. Cher
D. Celine Dion

If I'd have been willing to risk another lifeline, I'd have been saved by the result.

So I'd either be gone with $1K or going for $16K with only one lifeline remaining.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

gsabc

#4 Post by gsabc » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:44 am

earendel wrote:
Johnstown, NY
Since she got the call that late, she'd have to be a WE®. I just wonder how easy it was for her to arrange time off and a PAF list.
That's carrying WE-dom to an extreme, actually. It's at least a three-hour drive, and the Capital District has its own stations carrying the show. Depending on the late night flight schedules and their proximity to the airports, many New Englanders could get to NYC in the same time.

With all due respect to TPTB, calling people at 6-8 PM to come to the studio by 9 AM the next day is highly unfair both to the contestants and the viewers. I don't even want to think about how I'd operate in the hot seat with only two hours of sleep.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Appa23

#5 Post by Appa23 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:20 am

I'm surprised that this person had trouble with the Clinton question.

There was huge coverage of the announcement of the song choice. There was the whole "parody" of the Soprano's fianle, plus the mocking of the fact that she picked a song by a foreigner, not an American singer.

When was the finale of the Sopranos? I am thinking that this show may not have been taped that long after the song choice.

Appa23

#6 Post by Appa23 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:24 am

gsabc wrote:
earendel wrote:
Johnstown, NY
That's carrying WE-dom to an extreme, actually. It's at least a three-hour drive, and the Capital District has its own stations carrying the show. Depending on the late night flight schedules and their proximity to the airports, many New Englanders could get to NYC in the same time.

With all due respect to TPTB, calling people at 6-8 PM to come to the studio by 9 AM the next day is highly unfair both to the contestants and the viewers. I don't even want to think about how I'd operate in the hot seat with only two hours of sleep.
Maybe that should be my excuse. :lol:

With my wife back in Omaha, I went out with a fellow contestant (who had taped that day) to a comedy club and then a pub. I probably did not get back to the hotel until after 2:00 am. I probably only got 4 hours of sleep. However, there was time to relax and kick back before the show taped that afternoon. Plus, the adrenaline gets pumping when you are backstage and then in the seat.

gsabc

#7 Post by gsabc » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:07 am

Appa23 wrote:
gsabc wrote:With all due respect to TPTB, calling people at 6-8 PM to come to the studio by 9 AM the next day is highly unfair both to the contestants and the viewers. I don't even want to think about how I'd operate in the hot seat with only two hours of sleep.
Maybe that should be my excuse. :lol:

With my wife back in Omaha, I went out with a fellow contestant (who had taped that day) to a comedy club and then a pub. I probably did not get back to the hotel until after 2:00 am. I probably only got 4 hours of sleep. However, there was time to relax and kick back before the show taped that afternoon. Plus, the adrenaline gets pumping when you are backstage and then in the seat.
Yes, but you were already in town, having made all your travel arrangements at your leisure, and the previous night's damage was self-inflicted. :)

She had to arrange for time off from work, arrange for PAF's, arrange for transportation and a place to stay, pack, drive or be driven to NYC, etc., and then arrive at the studio prepared for the show, all in the space of 12-15 HOURS! This was normal in the early days of PTBAM and TOPG (right, wintergreen?), although the show arranged the transportation and accommodations part and the players knew the situation up front. Now, it just seems too much of a whirlwind tour.

Of course, it would be dangerous to offer me the position ...
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:44 pm

gsabc wrote:
earendel wrote:
Johnstown, NY

As gsabc said, she's not Where Else because she's not in the WABC viewing area.

And, yes, it's a distinct disadvantage getting The Call at the last minute. I'm surprised she got it, living as far from the city as she does. Usually, they call someone who can get there by subway--which only adds to the preponderance of genuine WEs on the show.

But, since I know I'm not one of those who gets The Call before they even get home from the audition, if the choice was getting The Last Minute Call or never getting The Call at all...I wouldn't turn it down.

Kazoo65

#9 Post by Kazoo65 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:24 pm

I, the native Michiganian, who was BORN in Ann Arbor, am ashamed to admit I didn't know the $2k question. :oops: I have heard that the story about how the city got its' name involved 2 ladies named Ann (the founders' wives) were sitting under a GRAPE ARBOR, not a tree.

FTR, I was thinking Grand Rapids, because of its' assication with the furniture industry.
I'm just a game show nerd.

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:51 pm

Kazoo65 wrote:I, the native Michiganian, who was BORN in Ann Arbor, am ashamed to admit I didn't know the $2k question. :oops: I have heard that the story about how the city got its' name involved 2 ladies named Ann (the founders' wives) were sitting under a GRAPE ARBOR, not a tree.

FTR, I was thinking Grand Rapids, because of its' assication with the furniture industry.
You let yourself be defeated by knowing too much. Although this question was in the middle tier, it was structured like many first tier questions, asking something nobody could know and hinting at an "obvious" answer. I mean, who could possibly know what the seals of middling-sized cities looks like? But "Arbor"? That has to have something to do with trees, right?

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:55 pm

Kazoo65 wrote:I, the native Michiganian, who was BORN in Ann Arbor, am ashamed to admit I didn't know the $2k question. :oops: I have heard that the story about how the city got its' name involved 2 ladies named Ann (the founders' wives) were sitting under a GRAPE ARBOR, not a tree.

FTR, I was thinking Grand Rapids, because of its association with the furniture industry.
Steelcase doesn't use much wood. :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#12 Post by etaoin22 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:03 pm

Spoiler
Mary Ann Mowrey
Johnstown, NY

$100- Heat stroke is a serious medical condition often caused by prolonged exposure to what?
A. Ocean water B. The Sun
C. Toxic chemicals D. Tabasco sauce

$200- The U.S. observes National Aviation Day on August 19th, the birthday of what famed inventor?

$300- Which of these answer choices requires the word "to" and not "as" in order to complete a common cliche?
A. Happy _ a clam B. Sharp _ a tack
C. Grind _ a halt D. High _ a kite

$500- Which of these national retailers has a logo that features a referee in a black-and-white-striped shirt?
A. JC Penney B. The Body Shop
C. Crate & Barrel D. Foot Locker

$1000- The terms "antebellum" and "postbellum" usually refer to the periods surrounding what event in U.S. history?
A. Cuban missile crisis B. U.S. Civil War
C. The Great Depression D. Civil Rights era

$2000- Which of these Michigan cities has an official seal that features a large tree?
A. Ann Arbor B. Flint
C. Grand Rapids D. Detroit

$4000- Present in all living organisms, what element is considered the basic "building block" of life on Earth?
A. Iron B. Carbon
C. Potassium D. Calcium

Commercial Break

$8000- The official theme song of Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign is "You and I," a plucky pop tune performed by what artist?

A-5% B-12% C-38% D-45%

How about the 50/50 as well?

A. Cher
D. Celine Dion

this song selection raised some eyebrows up here, since it was written specifically, or at least almost specifically three years ago for ads for the restructured Air Canada, and the video accordingly is shot inside an airport, with A-340's going back and forth.

A quick Google shows that the campaign is now playing at least some of the time "Blue Sky" by Big Head Todd and the Monsters, which I just listened to, and which I would certainly use, in preference.

http://bigheadtodd.com/music/

If you do click the link, the song is on the new album "All the Love You Need".

I gotta feeling some of you probably know a LOT more about this band....

I also personally would use "Blue Skies" by Bing Crosby, no connection to the new song.

Answers
$100- B. The Sun
$200- D. Orville Wright
$300- C. Grind _ a halt
$500- D. Foot Locker
$1000- B. U.S. Civil War
$2000- A. Ann Arbor
$4000- B. Carbon
$8000- D. Celine Dion

moonie

#13 Post by moonie » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:59 pm

Her situation was very similar to mine. They called me after 5pm the day before. I had to finish working, pick up a daughter, attend a meeting, and then come home to call for PAFs. That took me til almost midnight.
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to Lurk i go!