Bomb threat here today

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mrkelley23

Bomb threat here today

#1 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:45 pm

Idiot former student, disgruntled because his gf's parents have a restraining order on him, called 911 and threatened to blow up the place. Since it went to 911, it went thru Central Dispatch, which meant the downtown office got it before we did. They ordered the school evacuated, which of course meant 1500 kids out on the football field while 30+ cops and dogs searched the building for almost an hour. Then we have hysterical parents in the middle of everything demanding to take their kids home. We try to accommodate them, but we have to account for every kid, as well as make sure that it really is their parent who's picking them up -- kinda hard to do on a football field.

Amazing what a powerful motivator fear is, though.

Oh, and disgruntled former idiot student is safely locked away now. As soon as they played the 911 tape for our dean, he ID'd him right away.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

MarleysGh0st

Re: Bomb threat here today

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:49 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:Oh, and disgruntled former idiot student is safely locked away now. As soon as they played the 911 tape for our dean, he ID'd him right away.
He may be a former student. But he's still an idiot.

mrkelley23

#3 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:52 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:Oh, and disgruntled former idiot student is safely locked away now. As soon as they played the 911 tape for our dean, he ID'd him right away.
He may be a former student. But he's still an idiot.
Yeah, I was debating the order of all the adjectives in that sentence, and none of them seemed right. So I just went for alphabetical. :wink:
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Shade

#4 Post by Shade » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:05 pm

That is stupid, he didn't even try to disguise his voice?

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#5 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:06 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:They ordered the school evacuated, which of course meant 1500 kids out on the football field while 30+ cops and dogs searched the building for almost an hour. Then we have hysterical parents in the middle of everything demanding to take their kids home. We try to accommodate them, but we have to account for every kid, as well as make sure that it really is their parent who's picking them up -- kinda hard to do on a football field.
I once participated in a county-wide emergency services training, and the scenario my team drew was a major disaster behind the high school. We identified the above as our biggest challenge -- getting the kids home with their parents because of the hysteria and because of the traffic snarl we knew we were going to have. Our plan was as MrKelley describes except the football field was between the disaster and the high school, so we used the small city park next door.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#6 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:09 pm

Shade wrote:That is stupid, he didn't even try to disguise his voice?
I agree he was stupid, but a lot of people don't realize that 9-1-1 calls are taped.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Shade

#7 Post by Shade » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:38 pm

Anyone who has ever watched an episode of CSI, Law & Order, Without A Trace and other would learn that they are. I guess he didn't watch any of them.

mrkelley23

#8 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:43 pm

Shade wrote:Anyone who has ever watched an episode of CSI, Law & Order, Without A Trace and other would learn that they are. I guess he didn't watch any of them.
He probably knew. I don't think he cared. According to one of my colleagues who had him in class, he went straight into the military out of high school. I'm not sure if he finished his tour, or whether he was discharged for some reason, but he was definitely distraught.

One of those cries for help, that will probably wind up getting him a couple years in prison, a dishonorable discharge (if he doesn't already have one) and a felony record for life.

andrewjackson

#9 Post by andrewjackson » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:04 pm

My condolences. I had to deal with some of those situations and it is no fun dealing with the kids and then with the parents.

I always used one of those experiences as lesson in kid psychology. We had to do an evacuation to our football field once and after about a half hour we had students begging to go back to class. If we had said that anyone who wants to can go out and spend the morning sitting on the bleachers there wouldn't have been a kid in the building but since we told them they "had" to go out to the field they didn't want to do it.
No matter where you go, there you are.

lilclyde54

#10 Post by lilclyde54 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:04 pm

We had a grown man call in a bomb threat to us about five years ago. Since I had attended "bomb school", I was the school representative that accompanied the police as they swept the building so that I could point out anything that was obviously out of the ordinary. This guy was also an idiot (probably pretty come for bomb callers). He called from a convenience store about 3 blocks away and they ID'd him from the video cameras outside.

He wound up going to jail but I can't remember his term.
I felt the change

Time meant nothing and never would again

tlynn78

#11 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:12 pm

When we got our last bomb threat, it was after hours and I was one of very few peeps left in the building. I was working away at my desk and a deputy sheriff opened my (locked) door and poked his head in and said "We've had a bomb threat, have you seen anything suspicious?" I said 'just you." and "should I leave?" He said, "nah, it can't be too serious - after the guy called in the threat, he called back a few minutes later and said, 'oh, wait, it's for tomorrow...'"

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire