Transcript 11/23/2010 Kathryn Finney

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/23/2010 Kathryn Finney

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:30 pm

Kathryn Finney
New York, NY
Founder of a fashion website
Her husband is in the audience
is also her to see if that expensive Yale education pays off, has student loans to pay off

Topic Tree (pre-randomized):
The 50 States
Moon Rocks
By Heart
Math Measures
Celebrity Chefs
Food Geography
Sports Equipment
Flowery Drinks
Underwear Humor
Reality Stars

Topic Tree: (Randomized)
By Heart
Underwear Humor
Math Measures
Moon Rocks
Celebrity Chefs
The 50 States
Flowery Drinks
Reality Stars
Sports Equipment
Food Geography

Question 1 - Food Geography
The popular lunch meat baloney, sometimes spelled bologna, takes its name from a city in what country?
A. France B. Germany
C. Spain D. Italy
Answer and value
D. Italy
Value: $25K
Bank: $25K

Question 2 - Sports Equipment
What piece of sporting equipment was invented by George Nissen after he watched trapeze artists land on safety nets?
A. Badminton net B. Trampoline
C. Baseball glove D. Tennis racquet
Answer
Kathryn said she felt 85% sure it was trampoline and made it final
So Mere did a fakeout and said No... Not 85%, 100%
Answer and value
B. Trampoline
Value: 15K
Bank: 40K

Question 3 - Reality Stars
David Letterman often poked fun at eccentric "Survivor" winner Richard Hatch by referring to him as the what?
A. Loud bald guy B. Fat naked guy
C. Pale ugly guy D. Short hairy guy
Answer and value
B. Fat naked guy
Value: 10K
Bank: 50K

Question 4 - Flowery Drinks
Because it has a similar shape, the glass often used to serve champagne is named after what flowe?
A. Tulip B. Rose
C. Daisy D. Violet

Answer and value
A. Tulip
Value: 100
Bank: $50100
Commercial break

Question 5 - The 50 States
Of the fifty states, which is the only one that does not contain a National Park?
A. Hawaii B. Rhode Island
C. North Dakota D. Delaware

ATA
ATA
Kathryn verbally ruled out only Hawaii. Then used ATA.
Results
A-8% B-50% C-9% D-33%
JTQ #1
Answer and value
D. Delaware
Value: $5000

Question 6 - Celebrity Chefs
The Yum-o! organization, a nonprofit that teaches healthy eating, was founded in 2006 by what bubbly TV chef?
A. Sandra Lee B. Nigelia Lawson
C. Rachael Ray D. Emeril Lagasse
Answer and value
C. Rachael Ray
Value: $7000
Bank: $57100

Question 7 - Moon Rocks
What mineral, which can be found on the Moon, is named after three famous astronauts?
A. Armalcolite B. Stromeyerite
C. Molybdenite D. Weloganite

JTQ #2
Answer and value
A. Armalcolite
Value: $1000

Flashback question ($500K)
Which of these countries is not home to a Hard Rock Cafe?
A. Kuwait B. Bahrain
C. Lebanon D. Syria
Answer
D. Syria
Question 8 - Math Measures
How much is two quarts plus four pints plus eight cups?
A. A half-gallon B. One gallon
C. One-and-a-half gallons D. Two gallons

Answer and value
C. One-and-a-half gallons
Value: $3000
Bank: $60100

Kathryn will return tomorrow with $60100 banked and no lifelines remaining.

Kazoo65

Re: Transcript 11/23/2010 Kathryn Finney

#2 Post by Kazoo65 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:22 pm

It was kind of anticlimatic after she hit the three biggest amounts with the first 3 questions.

As for the stack itself:

1-easy.
2 through 4 were also easy. I would have used JTQ on 5. Was torn between B and D (Hawaii is home to Volcanoes National Park, which I've visited and North Dakota has a couple parks.)

6. easy.
7. easy.
8-ATA. Math, as you know, is NOT my subject.
I'm just a game show nerd.

themanwho

#3 Post by themanwho » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:54 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Kathryn Finney
New York, NY
http://www.thebudgetfashionista.com/ (There's a picture of a model in a bra and panties on the homepage; your job may frown on that sort of thing.)
"I will win BIG on a game show this coming year!" - since gsabc isn't using it any more.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#4 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:46 pm

themanwho wrote:
New York, NY
http://www.thebudgetfashionista.com/ (There's a picture of a model in a bra and panties on the homepage; your job may frown on that sort of thing.)

Who's frowning?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

TheConfessor

#5 Post by TheConfessor » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:44 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
themanwho wrote:
New York, NY

Who's frowning?
Everyone who thinks she's overdressed.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:35 am

New York, NY
is also her to see if that expensive Yale education pays off, has student loans to pay off
She's a WE®. As for the value of the Yale education, it remains to be seen.

After the first 3 questions she's hit the top three dollar values, in descending order ($25K, $15K and $10K). Meredith noted that this was the first time this had happened.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 5 - The 50 States
Of the fifty states, which is the only one that does not contain a National Park?

ATA
ATA
Results
A-8% B-50% C-9% D-33%
JTQ #1
Answer and value
D. Delaware
HOLD IT!! Stop the tape! This is a bogus question. There is more than one state that has no national park - the other one is Oklahoma. Until 1976 it did have one, but Platt National Park was decommissioned that year, so it no longer has a national park (the area is now part of the Chickasaw National Recreation Area). If the question had asked about National Park Service-controlled areas (including national monuments, battlefields, recreation areas, etc.) then perhaps the question would be valid (though the answer might not be. Kathryn should ask to be let back on the show and have her two lifelines restored because this is flat-out wrong.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 7 - Moon Rocks
What mineral, which can be found on the Moon, is named after three famous astronauts?

JTQ #2
Answer and value
A. Armalcolite
She was on the right track but just couldn't connect "arm-" with Armstrong (even though she said his name).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Kathryn will return tomorrow with $60100 banked and no lifelines remaining.
She should have two because of the bad question.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Snaxx

#7 Post by Snaxx » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:49 am

earendel wrote:

JTQ #2
Answer and value
A. Armalcolite
She was on the right track but just couldn't connect "arm-" with Armstrong (even though she said his name).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Kathryn will return tomorrow with $60100 banked and no lifelines remaining.
The contestant also cited the large amount of money in her bank as a reason to play it safe on the Armstrong (and Buzz Aldrin, Michael Collins I presume) question. This is the downside of uncovering the big $ amounts early and results in a reduced chance of reaching Classic Millionaire.

Interesting about Oklahoma also not having a national park; due to its size I would have assumed there was a national park somewhere like with North Dakota. Based on prior question disputes, I suppose they would say that DE is the 'best' answer and since OK is not an answer the question is unambiguous and would be sustained.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:02 am

Snaxx wrote:
earendel wrote:

JTQ #2
Answer and value
A. Armalcolite
The contestant also cited the large amount of money in her bank as a reason to play it safe on the Armstrong (and Buzz Aldrin, Michael Collins I presume) question. This is the downside of uncovering the big $ amounts early and results in a reduced chance of reaching Classic Millionaire.

Interesting about Oklahoma also not having a national park; due to its size I would have assumed there was a national park somewhere like with North Dakota. Based on prior question disputes, I suppose they would say that DE is the 'best' answer and since OK is not an answer the question is unambiguous and would be sustained.
Until 1976 there was a National Park, but it was "decommissioned". Since the question reads, "Of the fifty states, which is the only one that does not contain a National Park" then there is no ambiguity - either there is only one, or there is more than one. Whether Oklahoma appeared as an answer or not is beside the point. The question, as it is printed, is incorrect.

tlynn78

#9 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:03 am

Until 1976 there was a National Park, but it was "decommissioned". Since the question reads, "Of the fifty states, which is the only one that does not contain a National Park" then there is no ambiguity - either there is only one, or there is more than one. Whether Oklahoma appeared as an answer or not is beside the point. The question, as it is printed, is incorrect.

I think the "of those listed below" is assumed. At least it is by me, since those 'listed below' are the only ones you get to choose from.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#10 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:11 am

Kathryn Finney
New York, NY

Well it might help her become president or a Supreme Court Justice.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

earendel

#11 Post by earendel » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:14 am

tlynn78 wrote:

I think the "of those listed below" is assumed. At least it is by me, since those 'listed below' are the only ones you get to choose from.

t.
If that were what was intended, then why didn't the writers phrase it something like "Which of the following states does not contain a National Park?" By saying "of the fifty states" and "only one" the question has no correct answer. Of course I doubt that Kathryn reads the Bored and I'm not going to go all Don Quixote on her behalf, but it is annoying.

jarnon

#12 Post by jarnon » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:49 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
Kathryn Finney
New York, NY

Well it might help her become president or a Supreme Court Justice.
It could help her become President (like Ford, Bush Sr., Clinton, and Bush Jr.), but a Princeton degree is better for Supreme Court hopefuls (Alito, Sotomayor, Kagan).

andrewjackson

#13 Post by andrewjackson » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:49 pm

earendel wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

t.
If that were what was intended, then why didn't the writers phrase it something like "Which of the following states does not contain a National Park?" By saying "of the fifty states" and "only one" the question has no correct answer. Of course I doubt that Kathryn reads the Bored and I'm not going to go all Don Quixote on her behalf, but it is annoying.
The whole question is flawed. Several states do not have "National Parks". There are only 58 National Parks as opposed to areas supervised by the National Park System. Of those 58 National Parks, they are only in 27 states and two territories (American Samoa and U.S. Virgin Islands).

23 states do not have a National Park:
Alabama
Connecticut
Delaware
Georgia
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Louisiana
Maryland
Massachusetts
Mississippi
Missouri
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Vermont
West Virginia
Wisconsin

If you broaden that out to include "areas in the U.S. National Park System" there are 393 total units. And every one of the 50 states has at least one of them.

Delaware is sometimes described as not having any units in the system but the Captain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail runs through the waterways of Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and DC. Waterways are considered part of the states that they flow through.

Hmmm. Upon further research the Captain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail is not considered an official unit of the National Park System. It is administered by the National Park Service but it is not an official unit.
No matter where you go, there you are.

TheConfessor

#14 Post by TheConfessor » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:32 pm

This sounds like a case for Rick Rosner.

MarleysGh0st

#15 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:33 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 5 - The 50 States

ATA
ATA
Results
A-8% B-50% C-9% D-33%
JTQ #1
Answer and value
D. Delaware
I see there's already been quite a bit of discussion about this question, but since I was torn between Rhode Island and Delaware, I wonder which of this list in Rhode Island the question writers consider a "National Park"?

http://www.nps.gov/state/RI/index.htm

I guess it's this one:
Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor - The Blackstone Valley, MA,RI
The Blackstone River runs from Worcester, MA to Providence, RI. Its waters powered the Slater Mill in Pawtucket, RI, America's first successful textile mill. This creative spark began the nation's transformation from Farm to Factory. Today, the Blackstone River Valley is a special type of National Park - a living landscape containing thousands of natural and historic treasures.
And not either the Roger Williams National Memorial or the Touro Synagogue National Historic Site. Even if the question weren't flat-out wrong, it would still be a monster WWOQ.

Snaxx

#16 Post by Snaxx » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:09 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Question 5 - The 50 States

ATA
ATA
Results
A-8% B-50% C-9% D-33%
JTQ #1
Answer and value
D. Delaware
This discussed/disputed fact was the banner front page story today in the News-Journal from Wilmington, DE.
First State remains the only one without a national park
Delegation offers cuts to pay for proposal

In the past decade, the National Park Service has added 10 parks to its collection.

They commemorate World War II, a War of 1812 battle in Michigan, a 1944 ship explosion in California and an 1864 massacre of American Indians in Colorado. They mark an ancient volcanic landscape in Idaho and the birthplace of President Bill Clinton in Hope, Ark.

Over that same period, Delaware leaders have pushed -- unsuccessfully, so far -- to get the state's first national park. (continued...)
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs ... 1102280333

wintergreen48

#17 Post by wintergreen48 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:34 pm

The US was going to do a 'National Park Quarters' as a followup to the '50 States Quarters' program (which eventually became the '50 States and DC and Four Territories and a Commonwealth Quarters' program). One problem that cropped up toot sweet is that, well, not all states have a 'National Park' in them to be commemmorated. So it became the 'Americathe Beautiful Quarters' program, and they expanded it to include National Monuments, National Forests, National Military Parks, National Recreation Areas, and probably some other crap nobody thinks about unless they happen to live nearby. Oklahoma has the Chickasaw National Recreation Area, and that quarter will come out this year. Delaware will have the Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge, and that will appear in 2015.
Innocent, naive and whimsical. And somewhat footloose and fancy-free.