Transcript 01/24/08 - Danielle Arceneaux (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 01/24/08 - Danielle Arceneaux (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:08 pm

Danielle Arceneaux (carryover)
New York, NY
Public relation executive

Danielle is not skeptical about astrologers; one told her to go on a game show because she'd probably win a lot of money.

Danielle's parents though she was a game show prodigy, growing up in a small town in California, because they didn't know she'd watch the east coast game shows on satellite before they aired again on west coast stations, when she knew all the answers.

$4,000
Ronald Reagan's plainspoken and affable demeanor earned him the well-known nickname "the Great" what?

A: Communicator B: Orator
C: Pontificator D: Debater

$8,000
The 2007 ESPN miniseries "The Bronx is Burning" chronicles the tumultuous 1977 season of what New York sports franchise?

A: Jets B: Rangers
C: Knicks D: Yankees

$16,000
Which of these European countries derives its name from a German word meaning "eastern empire"?

A: Albania B: Bulgaria
C: Austria D: Denmark

Danielle doesn't think this is common knowledge, so she won't ask the audience, even though she knows they're very smart.

PAF: Danielle calls her friend, Tim.

Tim repeats the question: And the choices are?

Danielle: Albania, Bulgaria, Austria, Denmark. You have five seconds.

Tim: Austria would be my guess--

$25,000
Developed in the 1930s, a cyclotron is a device used by scientists to conduct experiments with what?

A: Animal embryos B: Ocean currents
C: Tornadoes D: Subatomic particles

50/50 leaves A & D.

Danielle: Oh! Well, I'm glad I did that. D: Subatomic particles, final answer.

-- Commercial Break --

Meredith says Danielle has the STQ lifeline and still has her ATA, "which these guys says is probably the best lifeline. Right, guys?"

$50,000
Presented in an 1857 treatise, the "Omphalos" hypothesis is an attempt to solve what famous theological quandary about Adam?

A: Did he have several wives? B: Did he have a bellybutton?
C: Did he have fewer ribs than Eve? D: Did he live 500 years?

Danielle has no clue. She switches the question.

STQ $50,000
According to Greek mythology, the cornucopia was a "horn of plenty" taken by Zeus fom what animal?

A: Stag B: Ram
C: Yak D: Goat

ATA: A: 11% B: 52% C: 15% D: 22%

Danielle: That's what I would have said.

Meredith: It is a free guess.

Danielle: I'm gonna say B: Ram, final answer.

Danielle leaves with $25,000.

Answers:
$4,000: A: Communicator
$8,000: D: Yankees
$16,000: C: Austria
$25,000: D: Subatomic particles
$50,000: B: Did he have a bellybutton?
STQ $50,000: D: Goat

tanstaafl2

#2 Post by tanstaafl2 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:41 pm

Rare lately that I manage to get from 4K to 50K (x2) and feel confident about every answer since there is usually some pop culture or WGAS Q in the quest for thousandaires on the show.

I guess today would have been my lucky day. Looking at 100K with all lifelines intact.

Of course I would need more than luck to get on the show in the first place. First I would have to actually try to get on the show...
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

slam

#3 Post by slam » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:14 pm

I had never heard that word "omphalos" or what it was about. But isn't it deducible because it's just a variation of the age old "chicken or the egg" question?

Austria was also deducible because I remember from my one year of studying German in school that "ost" means east.

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 01/24/08 - Danielle Arceneaux (carryover)

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:53 am

$16K: I'm between Albania and Austria. I'll PAF.

$25K: I'm between tornadoes and subatomic particles. Take the 50:50 and hope that I get lucky (which I would have).

$50K: No problem for me on this one.

$50K #2: Good thing I never would've seen this question. I also thought ram.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:47 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Danielle Arceneaux (carryover)
New York, NY
Public relations executive

Danielle is not skeptical about astrologers; one told her to go on a game show because she'd probably win a lot of money.
This is somewhat ironic, given the outcome (see below).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Danielle's parents though she was a game show prodigy, growing up in a small town in California, because they didn't know she'd watch the east coast game shows on satellite before they aired again on west coast stations, when she knew all the answers.
Haven't we heard this story before from a contestant on another game show?

I must say that I liked the deliberate way that Danielle worked through the choices to come up with the right answer on several of her questions.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000
Which of these European countries derives its name from a German word meaning "eastern empire"?

A: Albania B: Bulgaria
C: Austria D: Denmark

Danielle doesn't think this is common knowledge, so she won't ask the audience, even though she knows they're very smart.

And this shows an excellent use of the lifelines - although I think she might have sold the audience short.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:PAF: Danielle calls her friend, Tim.

Tim repeats the question: And the choices are?

Danielle: Albania, Bulgaria, Austria, Denmark. You have five seconds.

Tim: Austria would be my guess--
FTR the German name for Austria is "Osterreich".
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000
Developed in the 1930s, a cyclotron is a device used by scientists to conduct experiments with what?

A: Animal embryos B: Ocean currents
C: Tornadoes D: Subatomic particles

50/50 leaves A & D.

Danielle: Oh! Well, I'm glad I did that. D: Subatomic particles, final answer.
She got a great break on the 50/50 - had it left either B or C she might have been in trouble. That's the second time in two days that the 50/50 actually proved useful.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000
Presented in an 1857 treatise, the "Omphalos" hypothesis is an attempt to solve what famous theological quandary about Adam?

A: Did he have several wives? B: Did he have a bellybutton?
C: Did he have fewer ribs than Eve? D: Did he live 500 years?

Danielle has no clue. She switches the question.
This would have been a dream question for me - it would help prove my 7 years in seminary weren't a total waste.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:STQ $50,000
According to Greek mythology, the cornucopia was a "horn of plenty" taken by Zeus fom what animal?

A: Stag B: Ram
C: Yak D: Goat

ATA: A: 11% B: 52% C: 15% D: 22%

Danielle: That's what I would have said.

Meredith: It is a free guess.

Danielle: I'm gonna say B: Ram, final answer.

Danielle leaves with $25,000.
Here's where the irony comes in. If Danielle were truly into astrology she might have realized that the sign of Capricorn is a goat and maybe reason from that to the correct answer.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:55 am

slam wrote:I had never heard that word "omphalos" or what it was about. But isn't it deducible because it's just a variation of the age old "chicken or the egg" question?
The word "omphalos" is the Greek word for "navel". It might be deducible without knowing that; however the number of Adam's wives has also been a matter for discussion - there are old Jewish traditions (found in the Genesis Rabbah - a collection of homiletical interpretations of Genesis and elsewhere) that before Eve Adam had a wife named Lilith who was created the same was as Adam and thus considered herself to be his equal, particularly in sexual matters. She refused to "lie beneath" Adam as he demanded.

The rib question is also a possibility - growing up I remember people insisting that men had fewer ribs than women.
Last edited by earendel on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:35 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Meredith says Danielle has the STQ lifeline and still has her ATA, "which these guys says is probably the best lifeline. Right, guys?"
This was the ironic quote for me, given how the audience proceeds to durst her on the cornucopia question. As if an obscure point of Greek mythology is more common knowledge than the German name for Austria.

slam

#8 Post by slam » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:17 am

earendel wrote:there are old Jewish traditions (found in the Genesis Rabbah - a collection of homiletical interpretations of Genesis and elsewhere) that before Eve Adam had a wife named Lilith who was created the same was as Adam and thus considered herself to be his equal, particularly in sexual matters. She refused to "lie beneath" Adam as he demanded.

Are you sure she wasn't two-timing Frasier Crane? :) That sounds a lot like the Bebe Neuwirth character.

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:23 am

slam wrote:
earendel wrote:there are old Jewish traditions (found in the Genesis Rabbah - a collection of homiletical interpretations of Genesis and elsewhere) that before Eve Adam had a wife named Lilith who was created the same was as Adam and thus considered herself to be his equal, particularly in sexual matters. She refused to "lie beneath" Adam as he demanded.
Are you sure she wasn't two-timing Frasier Crane? :) That sounds a lot like the Bebe Neuwirth character.
That's why the name "Lilith" was chosen for the character - that and her pale complexion - Rossetti wrote a sonnet about the mythological Lilith and said that her favorite flowers were white roses and poppies.