I named a kiwi and won a trip to New Zealand!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
JBillyGirl

#26 Post by JBillyGirl » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:56 am

You guys are the best! Thank you all for your good wishes. It makes this win all the sweeter.

I've just learned that there were over 4,000 entries in this contest. I wish I knew what some of the other contenders were; it's still hard for me to believe my name came out on top. I did tell the contest folks that it was in honor (honour?) of Peter Jackson, but I'm not sure I got to give my full reasoning. I thought of honoring him because his movies had made New Zealanders so proud. Whether or not I said this, I think the judges got my drift. I am especially proud of this win because my entry was judged and selected, not just pulled out of a hat (or a database)!

I do intend to extend my stay. However, I don't think I can extend it too long, because my vacation time from work will be limited. Also, we are planning to visit family in San Francisco before going over, because the plane tickets have to be from SF, Los Angeles, or Vancouver. So if I had to guess for myself, I might say I'd spend 7 days there. My parents are planning to stay longer, and they can do that because my dad has just retired and my mom doesn't have a job. Hopefully we can work everything out OK with the travel agency. They're probably going to make a nice chunk of change off us, one way or another.

By the way, here is the page announcing my win: http://www.goway.com/namethekiwi/

And yes, I know jet lag will be a problem. It'll take some careful advance planning to minimize the effects. But I'm sure we'll be able to work it out.

Oh yes, one more thing: "Hobbiton" is right near Rotorua, so I will definitely be making a trip there! :)

earendel

#27 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:01 am

JBillyGirl wrote:You guys are the best! Thank you all for your good wishes. It makes this win all the sweeter.

I've just learned that there were over 4,000 entries in this contest. I wish I knew what some of the other contenders were; it's still hard for me to believe my name came out on top. I did tell the contest folks that it was in honor (honour?) of Peter Jackson, but I'm not sure I got to give my full reasoning. I thought of honoring him because his movies had made New Zealanders so proud. Whether or not I said this, I think the judges got my drift. I am especially proud of this win because my entry was judged and selected, not just pulled out of a hat (or a database)!
Not to take anything away from your well-deserved win, Jess, but I know that at our local zoo when they have naming contests, often there will be several identical entries, and they pull the winner "out of a hat". It's possible that others might have suggested "Jackson" as a name. OTOH it may be your "drift" that got the judges to select your "Jackson" over anyone else's.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

JBillyGirl

#28 Post by JBillyGirl » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:40 am

earendel wrote:Not to take anything away from your well-deserved win, Jess, but I know that at our local zoo when they have naming contests, often there will be several identical entries, and they pull the winner "out of a hat". It's possible that others might have suggested "Jackson" as a name. OTOH it may be your "drift" that got the judges to select your "Jackson" over anyone else's.
Actually, when I first got the call, I asked if anyone else had submitted the same name, and they said no. In the rules, they said that in the event multiple people submitted the same name, they would take the entry with the earliest time stamp; but apparently they didn't have to do that.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#29 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:47 am

Jess, I'm thrilled for you! I have wanted to go to New Zealand since I was a little girl. I have a Wyoming friend who goes for six weeks every winter and would move there in a heartbeat, if the opportunity arose.

She describes New Zealand as "Wyoming with beaches."

mrkelley23

#30 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:56 am

I'm glad AJ noted the synergy with Bix's progeny, not to mention his own last name.

Congratulations, and here's hoping you get to extend your stay. I've heard amazing things about New Zealand. There are about 5 of my top 15 "places to see before I die," in and around there.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#31 Post by ontellen » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:25 pm

Congrats from me too. Have a great time!

Ellen :D

Catfish

Re: I named a kiwi and won a trip to New Zealand!

#32 Post by Catfish » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:37 pm

Way to go, Jess!!!! This is phenomenal. And quite the brilliant name. Congrats!
Catfish

traininvain

#33 Post by traininvain » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:33 pm

Congratulations Jessica! This is really a tremendous news and it couldn't happen to anyone nicer.

Enjoy yourself
Enjoy every sandwich

Timsterino

#34 Post by Timsterino » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:06 pm

Congratulations, Jessica!!! Enjoy your trip!
Tim S.
Twitter: @BrowardAdvocate
Instagram: @TimWSternberg
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sternberg

ghostjmf

#35 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:58 pm

This is very far out.

Literally.

Since I think I recall a Bixby child named Jackson, you may encounter some envy (or not!).

They're gonna soak you big time in taxes for the tax on the value of the prize. But I bet is still won't be as much as the real-life cost of even a trip for 1 to New Zealand. I hope.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#36 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:12 pm

That's pretty darn cool, JBG!! How many folks get to see New Zealand?

Have tons of fun!!
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Estonut
Evil Genius

#37 Post by Estonut » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:30 pm

Way to Go, JBG!

I spent about a week and a half in NZ a while back. In the North Island, we spent a few days in Rotorua. If you want to learn about sheep, don't miss the Agrodome. The Rainbow trout farm was also interesting.

To tell you the truth, though, we enjoyed our time in the South Island much more. In minutes, you can go from the west coast beaches to the top of the Franz Josef glacier (by helicopter). We also really liked the city of Christchurch. We heard good things about Queenstown, too, but never made it there.

Visiting the neighbors in San Francisco is totally understandable, but they are much closer to your home than NZ is.

By the way, keep your eyes peeled for a stolen laptop while you're in the Rotorua area. It has a pretty cool reward:
http://tinyurl.com/28eerg